PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sumner Ride Sat 7/10/06

far queue
28th September 2006, 18:45
I’m going for a ride to Lake Sumner on Sat 07/10/06. Me and a mate on a KLR650 will be meeting at Amberley at 0830 and riding through to Lakes Taylor, Katrine & Sumner via Amberley, Waipara, Hawarden. Why an 0830 start – because that’ll give us plenty of time and I’ve got a party to get back for. Why Saturday – because I’ll be watching Bathurst on Sunday.

For those who haven’t been up that way before, here’s some distances for you …
Total round trip from BP Marshlands to Lake Sumner and back – 342km
Made up as follows …
Sealed road from BP Marshlands to 15km past Hawarden – 126km
Gravel Rd from here to Lake Taylor – 31km
Easy 4wd track from here to Lake Katrine – 8km
Harder 4wd track from here to Lake Sumner – 6km
The biggest hop between fuel stops is Waikari to Sumner and back – 136km
It’s possible you could get fuel at Hawarden, which would reduce that distance to 120km, but no guarantees on the fuel

Wanna come?

Edit 29/09/06
No access to Lake Sumner - see post #7 for details

Transalper
28th September 2006, 21:38
Definatly interested.
Will let you know for sure a day or two before.

miSTa
28th September 2006, 22:21
The leg from Lake Katrine to Lake Sumner, how hard is hard?

far queue
28th September 2006, 22:58
OK, 1st up my last experience of it was around 15 years ago, but travelled it many times then. My last experience of the rest of the ride was about 5 years ago, and I know others who still travel it regularly.

It's not hard, just harder than Taylor to Katrine. The main issue is it's a very uneven surface in places - rocks and holes. It's a good hard surface with nothing loose on it, no problems with traction. The only problems you may encounter is with the weight of the bike if you get off balance and cant get a good footing. I used to ride it on a TS185 and rode over the rough bits fairly quickly with no trouble. At the end of the track round Sumner there's a river bed to cross, but that'll be dry and firm and shouldn't pose a problem, then there's grass paddocks - easy. The whole track is pretty much at lake level, so there's no hills to negotiate. I reckon you should be fine, just take it easy. The rough bits are only in a couple of places, not the whole track.

The rest of the ride to Katrine will be no trouble at all for you - easier than the ride you had at the Waimak.

I've got some old photo's tucked away of the area, I'll see if I can find some of this piece of track, and then see if I can scan them at work for you.

cooneyr
29th September 2006, 08:18
I'd be keen as for this but again - damn licence. One day (paitently waiting and paying the price for rushing things with the bike purchase).

R

Transalper
29th September 2006, 08:37
You could trailer it in to Lake Taylor and ride the 4x4 stuff.

far queue
29th September 2006, 09:44
This ride just ran into a problem - I just rang DOC to get access through the gate on the Katrine/Sumner Rd, and was told that there is no access until after 1 November. Apparently they close it for the winter season. I’m told by someone else that the gate is bombproof and there is no way through or around it without the combination. This pisses me off because it's actually a public road that DOC have locked off. I'll still go through with the ride, but I really wanted to make the most of it by going through to Sumner.

Mr Sensible
The ride just became really easy for you.

cooneyr
You could trailer the bike to the beginning of the gravel road. There'a a picnic area there where you could leave your vehical if you wanted to.

cooneyr
29th September 2006, 10:28
You could trailer it in to Lake Taylor and ride the 4x4 stuff.

This ride just ran into a problem - I just rang DOC to get access through the gate on the Katrine/Sumner Rd, and was told that there is no access until after 1 November. Apparently they close it for the winter season. I’m told by someone else that the gate is bombproof and there is no way through or around it without the combination. This pisses me off because it's actually a public road that DOC have locked off.

You could trailer the bike to the beginning of the gravel road.

I could trailer to the picnic area but like you say still on public road. If I take one of you out or another vehicle I'm still left with no insurance. Didnt mention it before but I have inlaw commitments for the first three weekend of october anyway - kinda good in a way (?) as it means I cant get to depressed about not being able to ride the bike.

Also I would agree with the comment re the DOC gate being indestructable. Impassable I'm not so sure. Last time I was there (while ago now) it was a simple top rail with brace to lower hinge job i.e. could "manouver" bike under it. I know nothing, nottttttthhhhhhing! :whistle:

I got the impression the gate was there as the 4x4's chewed up the grass flats above lake sumner too much. This is the one thing about bikes that impresses me - the minimal damage they do even when "playing around".

R

Transalper
29th September 2006, 11:32
Sitck to your timetable FQ, last time i was in there the gate was open and the fence was cut. Impassable my ass. We never had time to go thru as only expected or planned to go as far as the gate anyway.

I too know nothing

far queue
29th September 2006, 11:35
Also I would agree with the comment re the DOC gate being indestructable. Impassable I'm not so sure. Last time I was there (while ago now) it was a simple top rail with brace to lower hinge job i.e. could "manouver" bike under it. I know nothing, nottttttthhhhhhing! :whistle:I've attached a pic that Transalper took on his trip back in July. It shows the gate post on the left and the open gate on the right, it looks like the gate has been changed since you were last there. In the photo it looks possible to get around the post, but I'm assured that this is an illusion and it's not possible.

I got the impression the gate was there as the 4x4's chewed up the grass flats above lake sumner too much. This is the one thing about bikes that impresses me - the minimal damage they do even when "playing around".Yep, that's right, too many dicks in 4wd's chewing up the paddocks, not just driving along the established track, but having a play and ripping everything up. That's the problem with cheap import 4wd's, any clown can go and rip up the countryside and leave all their rubbish behind while they're at it now. In the past it only used to be the real enthusiasts that could get into the back blocks, and they generally respected the place.

Transalper
30th September 2006, 22:49
Took J for her first Adventure as a rider today, you know, like just me and her. Thought i'd check out the locked gate. It was a good test of her endurance and shingle road skills. She did well. The pace was easy and safe on the blind corners, yet fast enough on the open stuff and around corners with clear views to keep me sane.
The gravel is very fine, often more dirt than shingle, so Mr S's Tourances should love the road.
The fords are almost non-exsistant and the puddles only 3/4 full so can shoot around the edges of most the big ones now. Even so we both got wet feet.
The gate was open again today but we didn't go thru. Didn't want to meet DOC staff down the road or get locked in. As for the fence, well it looks like someones delt to it recently.

Our timetable was something like this....
10:40am depart home
11:35am Amberly petrol then back roads to Lake Sumner Rd
12:45pm rest and snack
1:40pm to 1:50pm rest at Lake Taylor gate
2:40pm to 3pm The locked gate stop.
3:40pm to 3:50pm Lake Taylor gate rest stop again.
4:38pm photo back at the road sign saying 40km of bends on the Lake Sumner Rd shingle.
Went back via Hawden/Waikari/Waipara
5:15pm Amberly
5:55pm Home at my place again.

So if you were in a rush you could do it all faster but i reckon our pace made for a nice day, and now J's got a day of this kind of riding under her belt i think she'll be keen to join us on Saturday (weather permitting) to do it all again.

photos:
1- road sign near start of shingle part of Lake Sumner Rd (40km of twisty ahead)
2- Fence to left of locked gate at Lock Katrine
3- Locked Gate at Lock Katrine (J and the Djebel and Transalp infront of the gate).

oldrider
30th September 2006, 23:51
Is that a Mitas EO9 on the back there Carl? Which one have you got on the front?

Still waiting for my set of EO7's and my current back Tourance is shot.

I got a ticket in the car yesterday so all my savings on tyres is gone already. :crybaby: Cheers John.

Ruralman
1st October 2006, 08:08
A tickey John - you speeding????? - how very out of character --- not!!!
What happened to that inbuilt radar detection of yours or are you now a mere mortal like the rest of us whose luck occasionaly runs out???
Bugger eh - how fast?
My Mitas tyres haven't showed yet either, getting well down on my rear tyre but still a couple of trips in it if the weathers OK.

laRIKin
1st October 2006, 08:36
Could be up for the ride as well now.
Let you know closer to the date.

Transalper
1st October 2006, 09:58
Is that a Mitas EO9 on the back there Carl? Which one have you got on the front?

Still waiting for my set of EO7's and my current back Tourance is shot.
Yep E09 rear, and E07 on the front of Transalp now, and the DR has the E09 both ends.
Pays to order these things early. DAS is a little short on stock in some sizes now too. They still on the water so to speak.

oldrider
1st October 2006, 11:29
Yep E09 rear, and E07 on the front of Transalp now, and the DR has the E09 both ends.
Pays to order these things early. DAS is a little short on stock in some sizes now too. They still on the water so to speak.

Thanks Carl, they look good. I have ordered a set of EO7's and the importer tells me that they should be here any day, he had expected them before this.

He also said that he is getting a bit of a run on Mitas tyres, even the EO9's (his words) you must be influencing his marketing! :whistle:

Bruce, (Ruralman) I told you that I would probably get a bloody ticket after I told you about my strategy for avoiding them!

Took the grand kids back to Wanaka cruising quietly home, not even in any hurry, must have sneaked up to 120kph coming down the straight from the Lindis to Omarama (the most obvious place to get nicked) and on go the lights on top!

Haven't experienced that for a long long time, gave me quite a surprise actually. Funny how you automatically want to blame them though isn't it!

I am going to issue you with an infringement notice sir, would you like to view the radar, sir? The guy was impeccably correct like a bloody robot, I have got nothing to complain about damn it! Guess he's just doing his job.

An infringement notice for 120kph with bugger all traffic on the road up there is just a joke, even the Mrs was taken by surprise and she is usually on the case if I get over 100kph especially coming down there, it's a goldmine area for Helen.

Oh well, pay up and shut up thats the Kiwi way now I suppose. :calm: Cheers John.

far queue
1st October 2006, 20:25
The gate was open again today but we didn't go thru.mmmm, so that's twice you've been there now and the gate's been open both times. I'll keep my fingers crossed for next Saturday then.

Ruralman
3rd October 2006, 14:27
Take a small sledge hammer, a short bit of waratah (about 500mm), a padlock and a bit of chain - when you get to the open gate, bang in the waratah to ground level and padlock the gate OPEN till you get back

Ruralman
3rd October 2006, 14:28
Take a small sledge hammer, a short bit of waratah (about 500mm), a padlock and a bit of chain - when you get to the open gate, bang in the waratah to ground level and padlock the gate OPEN till you get back (you could even put an oficial looking notice on it requiring it to be left that way!)

Ruralman
3rd October 2006, 14:30
Thanks Carl, they look good. I have ordered a set of EO7's and the importer tells me that they should be here any day, he had expected them before this.

He also said that he is getting a bit of a run on Mitas tyres, even the EO9's (his words) you must be influencing his marketing! :whistle:

Bruce, (Ruralman) I told you that I would probably get a bloody ticket after I told you about my strategy for avoiding them!

Took the grand kids back to Wanaka cruising quietly home, not even in any hurry, must have sneaked up to 120kph coming down the straight from the Lindis to Omarama (the most obvious place to get nicked) and on go the lights on top!

Haven't experienced that for a long long time, gave me quite a surprise actually. Funny how you automatically want to blame them though isn't it!

I am going to issue you with an infringement notice sir, would you like to view the radar, sir? The guy was impeccably correct like a bloody robot, I have got nothing to complain about damn it! Guess he's just doing his job.

An infringement notice for 120kph with bugger all traffic on the road up there is just a joke, even the Mrs was taken by surprise and she is usually on the case if I get over 100kph especially coming down there, it's a goldmine area for Helen.

Oh well, pay up and shut up thats the Kiwi way now I suppose. :calm: Cheers John.

That would be around the $160 then ???

far queue
3rd October 2006, 17:34
Take a small sledge hammer, a short bit of waratah (about 500mm), a padlock and a bit of chain - when you get to the open gate, bang in the waratah to ground level and padlock the gate OPEN till you get back (you could even put an oficial looking notice on it requiring it to be left that way!)Hehehe, I like your thinking.

miSTa
3rd October 2006, 19:23
I'm not going to be able to make this ride, got some family stuff to take care of - the eldest grandson is staying with us on the Friday night and most of Saturday.

I'm sure there'll be another time.

far queue
6th October 2006, 09:59
Right then, we’re still on for tomorrow. Flocker (KLR650) and I are meeting at Shell Amberley (heading Nth, it’s on the right) at 0830 and departing there at 0840. I won't be filling there, but will be topping up at Waikari on the way in and again on the way out. Stop for lunch at Lake Sumner, or at Katrine if we can't get through the gate.

No rain forecasted where we're going ...

Saturday:
South Island, fine in the east, but drizzle developing in the southwest, turning to rain about South Westland and Fiordland, and a few late showers spreading into Southland and Otago.

Transalper & J, and Lemans are down as possibles, anyone else?

Transalper
6th October 2006, 12:09
Yep J and I are in, but we may require a few short 5 minute stops along the way.

SDU
6th October 2006, 12:41
take plenty of pics for me & have a good ride!
I'll be at work as usual but would be keen to do this ride another time.

far queue
6th October 2006, 12:50
Yep J and I are in, but we may require a few short 5 minute stops along the way.No probs, if you stop somewhere scenic, we can take pics to keep SDU happy.

I'll be at work as usual but would be keen to do this ride another time..I'm sure it'll be on again as you, cooneyr and Mr S all seem to want to go but can't make it this time.

laRIKin
6th October 2006, 16:49
No probs, if you stop somewhere scenic, we can take pics to keep SDU happy.

It takes more than that. Did I say that out loud?:chase:

laRIKin
6th October 2006, 16:56
Transalper & J, and Lemans are down as possibles, anyone else?

Had a shight of a day, cheap nasty asia pipe fittings :mad:

Had my 3rd RTD Bourbon in under 30 minutes, so if I can get up I'll be there like a bear with a sore head.

PS: Don't ask :mad:

PLUG
7th October 2006, 21:23
... on ya FQ ... my day was shit hot ... just how i like it ... more gravel than black top ... a full days worth ... only 350k, but a heap of seat time ... plenty of pokin around ... & some fine roads to have a play on ... last & least important ... good company ...

oldrider
7th October 2006, 22:44
Still waiting for our Mitas tyres, still on the boat! I may have to go back to sea to help bring them in!
Wonder if that's the same ship Indiana Jones is on, he probably has got lost!
My back tyre is getting thinner and I am getting nervous and impatient waiting!
I like good rubber on my bike! I sure hope they are worth the wait! :calm: Cheers John.

laRIKin
8th October 2006, 08:00
Good to hear that you guys had a good safe trip.

Just as well I did not not go as I would have had to head home as things went ugly here. All's good now

Now could you please pretty please down load the pic's while you are watching Bathurst.

See you soon
Rik

Transalper
8th October 2006, 15:35
Was another good one. The only anoying bit was the persistant cold wind.
1-Meet at Amberley
2-Photo op.
3-Flocker picking up his bike
4-Plug and scenery
5-FQ
6-Morning tea at the batches by Lock Katrine

Transalper
8th October 2006, 15:42
1-FQ with muffin? and hot drink
2-PLUG flying the F650
3-Flocker launching the KLR
4-FQ flying on his DR650
5-Lunch/afternoon tea, FQ with rasberry bun this time
6-View back toward the lakes while we were back up the road on our way out

Transalper
8th October 2006, 15:52
From PLUGs camera..

1-That road sign with a look up the valley where we were headded
2-PLUG flying on the F650 with lake view behind
3-Transalper (hey, that's me) flying on the Djebel
4-Plug loves the wildlife.. but not like that i'm sure
5-Lake view from above the batches
6-Plugs bent brake leaver

PLUG
8th October 2006, 18:16
Transalper (hey, that's me) flying on the Djebel ...

djebel ... it was a flyin dirtball all day ... J had it wound up ...

laRIKin
8th October 2006, 20:08
It looks like you had a good day and had fun.

Wish I could of made it. Bugger

Ruralman
8th October 2006, 20:09
Looked like a great trip guys - and definitely more fun on something a bit more "trailie". Good skills getting those airborn photos on the digital camera - mines got a bit of a delay you have to allow for when trying to get shots like that.
Would have loved to have been there.

Ruralman
8th October 2006, 20:14
Still waiting for our Mitas tyres, still on the boat! I may have to go back to sea to help bring them in!
Wonder if that's the same ship Indiana Jones is on, he probably has got lost!
My back tyre is getting thinner and I am getting nervous and impatient waiting!
I like good rubber on my bike! I sure hope they are worth the wait! :calm: Cheers John.

Shit - I thought they were to be here at the end of last week or early this week - mine's getting too low now as well and I don't reckon it would take much to puncture it so I will probably use the car for a few days. The weather looks a bit patchy this week anyway.

far queue
8th October 2006, 21:35
OK, finally found some time to get this on here …

Had a great day poking around some old familiar territory. This area was my first introduction to the great outdoors - camping, tramping, shooting, etc. Spent lots of time in the batches there, but it’s been a while since I’ve been able to get back there, so it was great to check it out again yesterday. Some things have changed, most haven’t.

The gravel road was in great condition, most of the fords now have a concrete base and were empty this time round. The 4wd drive track was a ball, sorry if I kept taking off on you guys, but I was having too much fun – still at least it meant I got a few of the gates open for you. Not too many scenery photo’s from me either for the same reason.

Well done J, you did well, and thanks everyone it was a great day.

Went off to the party I’d planned to go to that night, and caught up with all the guys that used to come to the rallies with us – excellent, it was just like the old rallies, unfortunately the home owner wouldn’t let us start a bonfire. Spent today, at a mates house watching Bathurst.

Great weekend.

Photos …
1. Lake Taylor Rd and the country we’re heading into
2. Lake Katrine & Sumner in the background
3. Flocker
4. Plug
5. Transalper
6. J

cooneyr
9th October 2006, 06:57
Looks like you guys had a awsome time. Great day for it too. Would have loved to have been there.

I want to know though - who are Plug and J praying to in the 5th photo of TA's second batch of photos? Was it the lunchtime pray to the mecca of bikes session. Maybe Plug was praying that nothing would get bent - bugger better luck next time aye Plug.

5-Lunch/afternoon tea, FQ with rasberry bun this time

far queue
9th October 2006, 09:05
I want to know though - who are Plug and J praying to in the 5th photo of TA's second batch of photos? Was it the lunchtime pray to the mecca of bikes session. Maybe Plug was praying that nothing would get bent - bugger better luck next time aye Plug.

Plug dropped his "hundreds and thousands", he was devastated, so J gave him a hand to find them :whistle:

Good pic for a caption contest I guess ...

PLUG
9th October 2006, 09:11

... j & i are extreamest cloth heads in deep undercover ... we're planing our next mission ... it's a bugger TA got it on camera ... as we are going to have to kill'em now ... along with everyone else who's seen it ... look out cr ... i'd be scared if i were you ...

JT.
9th October 2006, 10:48
Went through there friday afternoon with a couple of 2 smokes and a 4 wheeler, trailered in to the other side of the first pass on the gravel road. Had a great ride through to the gate at Loch Katrine and back out, about an hour each way. Didn't see this thread till just now :whistle:

Also I would agree with the comment re the DOC gate being indestructable. Impassable I'm not so sure. Last time I was there (while ago now) it was a simple top rail with brace to lower hinge job i.e. could "manouver" bike under it. I know nothing, nottttttthhhhhhing! :whistle:
R

It was easy enough to get around on a bike, the fence in the photo by Transalper can be lied flat the but we decided against risking it for future rides and others. It's still a good blast through to there.

A workmate is camping there over show weekend, he mentioned they only give the lock combination out to 10 or so people a day and change it often. The farmer is a hard old bastard too so take it easy if you chance your luck.

SDU
9th October 2006, 11:20
Awesome pics, you guys sure had fun by the look of it. The grins said it all.
Would have been great to have been there too but next time eh!
Did anyone go swimming this ride:whistle:

far queue
9th October 2006, 12:24
Went through there friday afternoon with a couple of 2 smokes and a 4 wheeler, trailered in to the other side of the first pass on the gravel road. Had a great ride through to the gate at Loch Katrine and back out, about an hour each way. Didn't see this thread till just now :whistle:Yep, it's a great area for a play.

Did anyone go swimming this ride:whistle:
Not me, I stayed sunny side up the whole time this time. I'm only speaking for myself of course :whistle:

Transalper
9th October 2006, 16:03
Did anyone go swimming this ride:whistle:You'll have to ask PLUG about that, I think his socks were the wettest of all:lol:
Now what was he calling them?? Something like 'lucky dip potholes' or 'potluck puddles'

warewolf
10th October 2006, 07:01
Looks like a great day out.

who are Plug and J praying to in the 5th photo of TA's second batch of photos?I thought FQ had thrown some scraps of raspberry bun...

miSTa
11th October 2006, 21:18
Great photos, looks like a hell of day, except for that fat bastard feeding his face all the time :Pokey: