PDA

View Full Version : Maitai Rally Adventure Ride 3-5/11/06

far queue
28th September 2006, 18:48
The Maitai Rally near Nelson is on 3-5/11/06. My plans are as follows …

Friday 3/11
Leave Christchurch around 2pm on the Friday heading up on the seal via Lewis Pass with a 40km Gravel Rd excursion between Burnbrae (20km Nth of Maruia) and Murchison, and then back onto the seal to the site. All up around 438km with around 40km of gravel. See map 1 for the gravel section.

Saturday 4/11
After Friday night on the turps it’ll be a relaxed start to the day. Head off around 10ish up the Maungatapu Track to Pelorus Bridge, up to Rai Valley, then continue on the main road back towards Nelson and cut through the Hira Forest back to the rally site. All up around 90km made up of 34km of seal with the rest being a mixture of gravel road, 4wd track, and pylon track. The pace will be relaxed with stops for photos, and should only take a couple of hours as, not having been to this rally before, I want to get back to the site early afternoon to take it all in. See map 2 for the planned route.

Sunday 5/11
Leave the site, head south to Wakefield, then onto the gravel to St Arnaud, then continue on over the Rainbow Rd to Hanmer Springs, then back onto the seal to Christchurch. All up around 348km, made up of around 169km seal and 179km of gravel. I’ve arranged access for a group of bikes to travel Rainbow Rd, all that’s required now is for us to stop off at the homestead and pay $10 each to get through the locked gate.

There are 2 of us doing this trip – me, and a mate on a KLR650. If anyone else is interested in joining us for part or all of it just yell out.

Edit 02/10/06
Change of start time - meeting at BP Marshlands at 1230 Friday 03/11/06

kro
28th September 2006, 19:55
If the DR is sorted by then, I will set out with you on the Saturday, and take you over the Maungatapu, only as far as the bridge, as I am not road regd. It's not a long leg of the trip, but it's a bit of fun. If it wasn't too late in the day, I could wait at one of the roadside gates in the Hira, and lead you back into Central Nelson via the Hira, which is a magic ride.

If my brothers shift work coincides, we will both join you for these bits of your journey. I'll pm you my details later, so we can see if it all works closer to the date. I have done a fair bit of the Hira, it's worth taking the scenic long way home, the scenery is stunning.

warewolf
28th September 2006, 21:19
After the Burnbrae into Murch, TR at Longford, TL Tutaki, TR Braeburn Track to Rotoroa. Braeburn is real easy with 4 concrete-lined fords. The western-most one is the deepest, usually. From Rotoroa you can head north to SH6 on the seal (the easy, fast way), or keep heading east onto the Porika Track. This one is much like the Maungatapu Track. Then TL Howard Valley Rd, which spits you out on SH63. TR for St Arnaud or TL for SH6.

The Hira forest Central Rd that joins the Maitai Valley to the Whangamoa Saddle is currently closed for logging. That includes the Teal Saddle Rd out to the caretaker's cottage at the start of the Maungatapu. If anyone knows any different, please let me know - I'll be up there tomorrow if it's open! If there are other ways to join SH6 to the Maitai, I'm all ears. :rockon:

Hopefully we can catch up. Don't know if I'm going to the rally yet.

Hmm, wonder if Matakitaki Station can be approached to access a through route from Burnbrae to Tutaki??

miSTa
28th September 2006, 22:13
Sounds like a plan, I'm keen.

It's a good rally (I've been to all of them - all two) and I like your idea for Saturday. I don't see the point in going all the way up there and not spend any time at the site.

As for the Friday I think it would be better to leave at 12:00 rather than 2:00 ...

far queue
28th September 2006, 22:35
If the DR is sorted by then, I will set out with you on the Saturday ... I have done a fair bit of the Hira, it's worth taking the scenic long way home, the scenery is stunning.Sounds like a plan, it would be good to have some local knowledge along with us. I'd like to see the results of all your hard work too.

After the Burnbrae into Murch, TR at Longford, TL Tutaki, TR Braeburn Track to Rotoroa. Braeburn is real easy with 4 concrete-lined fords. The western-most one is the deepest, usually. From Rotoroa you can head north to SH6 on the seal (the easy, fast way), or keep heading east onto the Porika Track. This one is much like the Maungatapu Track. Then TL Howard Valley Rd, which spits you out on SH63. TR for St Arnaud or TL for SH6.Thanks, I'll check it out on the topo maps at work tomorrow to see where you're talking about.

The Hira forest Central Rd that joins the Maitai Valley to the Whangamoa Saddle is currently closed for logging.Hopefully it'll be opened up again by the time we get there.

Hopefully we can catch up. Don't know if I'm going to the rally yet.Yep, be good to catch up.

Sounds like a plan, I'm keen.

It's a good rally (I've been to all of them - all two) and I like your idea for Saturday. I don't see the point in going all the way up there and not spend any time at the site.Yes, I've heard good things about it and have tried to get there before - this year the timing finally worked out right.

As for the Friday I think it would be better to leave at 12:00 rather than 2:00 ...I only finish work at 12, so figured on a 2pm start by the time I get home, feed, get changed and leave. If it was earlier, it wouldn't be by much.

warewolf
29th September 2006, 07:29
Hopefully it'll be opened up again by the time we get there.Here's hoping, but it's been closed for more than a year. Spoke to some people about it just the other day, they said don't expect it to be open anytime soon.

I've done about half of it from the Maitai side. Internally the closures move around a bit - except for the Teal-Central-Wangamoa link. It is worth going in from the Maitai side for a look-see. Late Autumn I went up there on a gloomy overcast day, and managed to climb into the sunshine above the clouds. That was a nice ride!

Tell you what, I'll do a ride close to the event so you will know ahead of time what you're getting in to. It's not like I'm not there regularly anyway... Nelson-Pelorus via either SH6 or Maungatapu is my 'sanity ride' as a break from the office.

cooneyr
29th September 2006, 08:13
I'd be in but you know the story - unavoidable family commitments.

R

far queue
29th September 2006, 09:48
Tell you what, I'll do a ride close to the event so you will know ahead of time what you're getting in to.That would be great if you could. Thanks.

I'd be in but you know the story - unavoidable family commitments.Yeah, I know, bummer. I'll be sure to tell you what an awesome ride it was :devil2:

far queue
2nd October 2006, 13:33
After the Burnbrae into Murch, TR at Longford, TL Tutaki, TR Braeburn Track to Rotoroa. Braeburn is real easy with 4 concrete-lined fords. The western-most one is the deepest, usually. From Rotoroa you can head north to SH6 on the seal (the easy, fast way), or keep heading east onto the Porika Track. This one is much like the Maungatapu Track. Then TL Howard Valley Rd, which spits you out on SH63. TR for St Arnaud or TL for SH6.OK, I’ve sussed it out – looks good. A question though – you say that Porika Track is much like Maungatapu Track, but what’s that like? I’ve not been on either, nor heard of them before planning this trip. Maungatapu looks OK for the Sat with a light bike, but what will Porika be like on the Friday with a fully loaded bike? The contour lines are very close together on the map, and the track appears to go straight up the ridge line. I have a mental picture of a steep, rutted, clay pylon track. Tell me I’m wrong.

As for the Friday I think it would be better to leave at 12:00 rather than 2:00 ...OK, change of start time. Meeting at BP Marshlands at 1230 now. I’ll start work early and get away early to give us extra time to do the diversions suggested by Warewolf (depending on the Porika track condition) and still arrive with a reasonable amount of daylight left.

cooneyr
2nd October 2006, 14:01
OK, I’ve sussed it out – looks good. A question though – you say that Porika Track is much like Maungatapu Track, but what’s that like? I’ve not been on either, nor heard of them before planning this trip. Maungatapu looks OK for the Sat with a light bike, but what will Porika be like on the Friday with a fully loaded bike? The contour lines are very close together on the map, and the track appears to go straight up the ridge line. I have a mental picture of a steep, rutted, clay pylon track. Tell me I’m wrong.

These are the two tracks I was trying to convince you to do. The Rotoiti side (northern) of the Porika track is reasonable gravel road that will be a piece of cake. The Rotora side is a series of very sharp switchbacks up a steep face.The road is gravel to rocky. Needed low gear in the 4x4 last time went through but only cause switchbacks are tight (turning circle of old cruiser is crap hence ended up cutting corner) and it is a little rocky. The steepness (go wide around corners) shouldnt be a problem the rockyness may be with gear on. I'd give it ago and I've never riden anywhere with gear on yet.

I'd say it was developed to allow ECNZ 4x4 trucks (old RM and MK bedfords maybe?) up when they put the power line though.

Cheers
R

far queue
2nd October 2006, 14:52
OK, so going by what you say, and what the map shows, it's just the bit I've circled in red that's the dodgy bit? The contours spread out after that and then it's gravel rd. That 1st bit is 3km long with a 400m climb (1:7.5), sounds like it might be worth a crack.

The other map is our planned route home from Wakefield to Rainbow - what's that like? I know it's flattish - but gravel or seal? I'm hoping for gravel.

cooneyr
2nd October 2006, 15:56
OK, so going by what you say, and what the map shows, it's just the bit I've circled in red that's the dodgy bit? The contours spread out after that and then it's gravel rd. That 1st bit is 3km long with a 400m climb (1:7.5), sounds like it might be worth a crack.

I'm guessing but I'd say that only about half (up to the north eastern of the two close pylons) is the rocky bit. From there on is the good gravel road through the bush.

The other map is our planned route home from Wakefield to Rainbow - what's that like? I know it's flattish - but gravel or seal? I'm hoping for gravel.

Most of that a sealed road however, the Eighty Eight Valley (from Wakefield to Wai iti Road) is mostly gravel (good gravel). Once you turn left onto the Wai iti Road (@ Hiwipaogo??? on your map) then it is seal all the way to Rainbow Skifield Road (turns off the Rainbow Road a little south of your map edge). From there good gravel all the way to Hamner.

Wish I was going :weep::crybaby:You lucky lucky barsted (to quote Monty Python).

Cheers
R

warewolf
3rd October 2006, 12:01
OK, so going by what you say, and what the map shows, it's just the bit I've circled in red that's the dodgy bit? The contours spread out after that and then it's gravel rd. That 1st bit is 3km long with a 400m climb (1:7.5), sounds like it might be worth a crack.Yes, yes and yes! Umm, when I did it, it was in winter, on a road tyre, with a pillion, in misty rain. Rainbow skifield was closed due to the conditions.

It is very steep on the Rotoroa side, and down the other side some way. At times rocky and rough, others just steep and gravel. Not horribly rutted. The bulk of the distance on the Howard Valley side is a doddle, that is, where the map shows a gravel road not a track. My over-riding impression was the roughness. With a pillion I couldn't just stand up on the pegs and blast over everything. Had to slow right down, letting the bike roll through and over stuff that solo I'd just be floating over.

[Edit: Bugger it, will have to go do a reccy solo!]

You're into the worst straight off the bottom at Rotoroa. You could go have a look, if it seems too much, roll back down and proceed north on the tar seal. Would only cost you a couple of minutes, but I'd expect you'll come through.

Now you got me thinking I should scoot out there and meet you...ride back in to town with you. Hmm...Friday arvo drinks starts at 4pm...

The other map is our planned route home from Wakefield to Rainbow - what's that like? I know it's flattish - but gravel or seal? I'm hoping for gravel.Glad you picked that up - didn't want to flood you with ideas. :cool: As already said, along Eighty Eight Valley Rd it's mostly tar seal with some good gravel: only the bit from Quail Valley Rd to Hiwipango. However, Quail Valley Rd itself is gravel. These are major gravel roads with corrugations from use.

Another option may be Tapawera-Glenhope Rd and/or Sherry River Rd. Haven't done those myself yet.

warewolf
3rd October 2006, 12:32
you say that Porika Track is much like Maungatapu Track, but what’s that like? I’ve not been on either, nor heard of them before planning this trip.Maungatapu was dealt to earlier this year when power work was done, so they could get the vehicles in easily. Ruts & greasy clay sections smoothed off and filled in with road rock.

Like the Porika, I rode it in winter with a pillion and road tyre. Same comments apply. This time no rain but all shaded puddles were solid with ice, and all puddles in the 4wd wheel tracks had smashed ice laying around them. Have also done it on the DR-Z250 with pure road tyres (ME33/ME55) without any dramas, just had to watch the speed into the corners along the fast gravel stuff at the Pelorus end. :2thumbsup

Here's the description I sent to 4skins in Feb:

I've ridden it after the rain in recent months, and there were no boggy/slippery bits. Mostly it is rocky. Pelorus to the saddle would not be too much of a challenge for a novice in any weather. Gentle slopes, no deep loose rocky steep climbs that I remember.

From Nelson, the track starts at the caretakers cottage overlooking the dam, goes down a very well built road to a ford at the bottom. After the ford, the first main climb is very steep on hard-packed clay/gravel. After that, there are a couple of short, sharp, rough, loose rock descents. IIRC they are around sharp blind left handers, so be ready! Say 30m-ish long each; short enough that someone more experienced could ride those sections for the novice, without holding up the party much at all. Slowing the bike beyond walking pace results in locked wheels and little halt to progress! You need to be confident enough to roll through the bumps and not stop.

That will get you to the headwaters of the Maitai dam. From here, it is easy going along a bumpy, rocky track which can have big puddles after rain - good fun! The rocky sections have rock-bottomed puddles. There are a couple of gravel/clay sections which can have muddy puddles approaching the width of the road, but nothing too dramatic.

The next hazard would be a long-ish (100-200m) steep, loose rocky climb, finishing at a small wooden bridge. This could give your novice a hard time. It is the sort of climb where you have to work hard to balance the bike, and can lose traction often. Again, someone more experienced could assist if necessary. Getting going again mid-climb might be too difficult for a novice.

That is the worst of it. From there, the track winds its way up to the saddle. It can be steep, tight and loose but usually not at the same time! It is never as difficult as the earlier bits. Pleasant amongst the trees; real nice.

Be aware this road can be heavily trafficked, so at all times be prepared for 4wds to appear.

Off to the sides are tracks that are much more technical; they are access to the power pylons.

Overall it is a great track, even if we get rain before the end of the week you'll be fine. I'm sure riders of all abilities will find it a blast.

miSTa
3rd October 2006, 19:33
OK, change of start time. Meeting at BP Marshlands at 1230 now. I’ll start work early and get away early to give us extra time to do the diversions suggested by Warewolf (depending on the Porika track condition) and still arrive with a reasonable amount of daylight left.

Duly noted, excellent.

Sounds like we are going to have some great diversions, looking forward to it.

miSTa
21st October 2006, 09:20
OK, change of start time. Meeting at BP Marshlands at 1230 now. I’ll start work early and get away early to give us extra time to do the diversions suggested by Warewolf (depending on the Porika track condition) and still arrive with a reasonable amount of daylight left.

I'm not going to be able to make that time now, it'll be more like 1:15 - 1:30. I need to wait for the wife to come home before I can go - we have someone coming over to install cable internet :woohoo:

warewolf
26th October 2006, 06:24
Came home yesterday via Maungatapu. It's developed some good potholes and has some bits that are almost whooped-out. No problem to ride, just a bit slower.

far queue
26th October 2006, 08:03
Came home yesterday via Maungatapu. It's developed some good potholes and has some bits that are almost whooped-out. No problem to ride, just a bit slower.Cheers for that. Any news on whether there's any tracks open in the Hira Forest?

warewolf
26th October 2006, 13:54
Any news on whether there's any tracks open in the Hira Forest?The through-route is still definitely closed, there is a big sign at the start of the Maungatapu Tk. I'll go for squiz this weekend.

far queue
26th October 2006, 17:00
The through-route is still definitely closed, there is a big sign at the start of the Maungatapu Tk. I'll go for squiz this weekend.OK, will suss out another route back from Pelorus then in case Hira is a no go. Any other dirt recommendations back to Maitai? What about Tinline Rd? On the map, it's off Maungatapu, turns into a track of some kind over Mt Duppa and comes out at Whangamoa - a goer? or a bit dodgy?

warewolf
26th October 2006, 19:59
Any other dirt recommendations back to Maitai? What about Tinline Rd? On the map, it's off Maungatapu, turns into a track of some kind over Mt Duppa and comes out at Whangamoa - a goer? or a bit dodgy?I think you're pushing shit uphill with a rubber fork...:yes:

Tinline's good for a ride, mostly well groomed hardpack road. Good for big skids! Having a nosy off the main road at the NW end I managed to wrap a bit of fencing wire around my rear axle, nearly pulled the bike out from underneath me when it went tight (the other end was wrapped around a tree stump). AFAIK it's a dead end. There is a bridge that has hellish gates on it which is the old link to SH6.

The best dirt ride would be to do Maungatapu back again. There's no shame in that. It has quite a different feel each direction, as the terrain/surface is markedly different either side of the summit - so you do each bit uphill and downhill.

The Whangamoas makes a great road ride if you do want to close the loop.

cooneyr
27th October 2006, 07:22
OK, will suss out another route back from Pelorus then in case Hira is a no go. Any other dirt recommendations back to Maitai? What about Tinline Rd? On the map, it's off Maungatapu, turns into a track of some kind over Mt Duppa and comes out at Whangamoa - a goer? or a bit dodgy?

Dont know what maps you are using FQ but first pic is what the 260 series topo circa 2000 shows. Dont think any route through there.

I'm not sure which bit of the Hira is closed maybe Warewolf can help but I suspect it is somewhere along the "blue line" sections. I'm pretty sure you can get access from the Teal Valley and then ride the "red line" track. Rode out to the gates at the Teal Valley road end (bypassable from memory) on the RMX 18 months ago. Just a suggestion to try if your interested.

I've also attached a un-modified image of the Hira. (third pic)

Cheers
R

cooneyr
27th October 2006, 07:47
I've been playing :yes:

Obviously not briliant but first try. Thanks for the idea TA.

R

warewolf
27th October 2006, 07:52
I'm not sure which bit of the Hira is closed maybe Warewolf can help but I suspect it is somewhere along the "blue line" sections. I'm pretty sure you can get access from the Teal Valley and then ride the "red line" track. Rode out to the gates at the Teal Valley road end (bypassable from memory) on the RMX 18 months ago.You're pretty much on the money.

On Tinline, the gate (locked) that is at a bridge over the Tinline River is the one I was talking about.

Yes, it is the blue line that is closed, Slaters Creek Rd to the Whangamoa Saddle. From the W end it is closed to the N where it joins the red line and to the S where it hits Maungatapu.

Teal Valley and/or Lud Valley Rds are options I need to check. I've been a long way down one of those valleys, from inside the forest. Ran out of time before I hit anything impassable.

Note that the W end of the red line was closed at the Rifle Range a couple of months ago, but the route around Isolated Hill was open.

warewolf
28th October 2006, 19:49
So me & the Mrs went for a ride today while Katie is still dirty from the last trip.

The bad news: no through trip that I've found, but there are two leads left to check: Lud Valley and Teal Valley. Will try to check them tomorrow for you. Pillion had had enough by the time we got back to them.

The good news: you should be able to do a fair ride within the forest itself. We did nigh on 100km today, with the forest entrance only 5km or so from my house. You do the math... The gate on Central Rd, just S of the junction with Sharland Creek Rd, was open with a sign saying, "No public access Mon-Fri" so I thought we were sweet, but I guessed wrong.

The only perimeter gate that is open is Sharland Creek Rd at Maitai Valley Rd. The gates at Teal Saddle Rd / Maungatapu Tk, Duckpond Rd / SH6, and Slater Rd / SH6 are all closed, with fresh piles of rock/tree stumps/earth either side of the gates to stop bikes getting around them. These are all three ends of your blue line.

There are two gates on Sharland Creek Rd, both can be negotiated when closed as they demarcate the 'permit holders only' section. (Join Nelson Motor Cycle Club and you can get an annual permit for $5.) Central Rd - Slaters Rd being the public easement...currently closed, obviously. There is a new logging operation on Sharland Creek Rd, aroundabout Boars Back Spur. Lots of major earthworks have been done. So Sharland Creek Rd is closed at the N end of that, just E of the E end of Isolated Hill Rd, with a new (third) gate that is negotiable. It's not gated from the S.

So if it is all closed, it might still be worth going up to Isolated Hill for the views!

Transalper
29th October 2006, 18:46
Well, i've been following this thread since its beginning and was dead keen to travel those roads sometime (including the bits already travelled) but unfortunatley i just have to cool it a while in view of the big christmas holiday and associated expenses looming (visiting my daughter in Hastings etc) so you'll have to count me out this time.
Have a good one and I look foward to your reports and photos.

far queue
29th October 2006, 21:37
... there are two leads left to check: Lud Valley and Teal Valley. Will try to check them tomorrow for you ...Thanks for your efforts to find a way through warewolf, much appreciated. Did you manage to check out Lud Valley and Teal Valley today? I've only got an AA map at home, the good maps are at work, so I'll check out the routes you're suggesting tomorrow.
Well, i've been following this thread since its beginning and was dead keen to travel those roads sometime (including the bits already travelled) but unfortunatley i just have to cool it a while in view of the big christmas holiday and associated expenses looming (visiting my daughter in Hastings etc) so you'll have to count me out this time.That's OK, it's all a matter of priorities, which is why I can't make it to everything I'd like to either.
Have a good one and I look foward to your reports and photos.I plan to, and will post up a report on this thread when I get back.

warewolf
29th October 2006, 21:56
Thanks for your efforts to find a way through warewolf, much appreciated. Did you manage to check out Lud Valley and Teal Valley today?No, sorry, pouring with rain all day, so I stayed indoors and worked. Maybe Wednesday.

far queue
29th October 2006, 22:09
No, sorry, pouring with rain all day, so I stayed indoors and worked. Maybe Wednesday.No worries, as I say I appreciate your efforts anyway ... and your input too cooneyr ... even if don't know where you 2 are talking about half the time. I read your posts, then get the map out, but it's all good. Cheers guys.

So, are you planning on attending the actual rally warewolf, I think you said earlier that you weren't sure.

warewolf
29th October 2006, 22:17
So, are you planning on attending the actual rallyNot at this stage. There is a Triumph RAT ride on Sunday, the first since I've had the Triumph back and been in town. But keen to come out and meet you at Murchison on Friday, and probably ride the Maungatapu on Sat.

far queue
29th October 2006, 22:25
Not at this stage. There is a Triumph RAT ride on Sunday, the first since I've had the Triumph back and been in town. But keen to come out and meet you at Murchison on Friday, and probably ride the Maungatapu on Sat.Excellent, a guide. We won't be getting along too fast, and want to stop for photos of the good bits. I hope that suits.

far queue
1st November 2006, 13:42
Change of plan. I rang the Rainbow Station manager to confirm access for the ride home on Sunday to be told the road is closed due to a slip. I explained we were on bikes and asked if there was a way through, his words were “there’s half a mountain on the road, and it’s a shear drop to the river which is running high, so you wont get through” – so that’s that idea rooted then. I’m now looking coming home via the Molesworth. I understand that this is normally closed until December, but I’m hoping that a kindly station manager will let us through. The station manager is out at the moment, so I’ll try again tonight.

So, in the event that we can’t do the Molesworth either, I’m looking for ideas on other routes home that avoid the seal where possible. As I far as I know the Rainbow and the Molesworth are it. There look to be a few options between Wakefield and St Arnaud and in the area between St Arnaud and Burnbrae.

Hmm, wonder if Matakitaki Station can be approached to access a through route from Burnbrae to Tutaki??You don't have a contact number for the station that you could PM to me do you? I'll give them a call if the Molesworth plan falls through.

miSTa
1st November 2006, 20:17
That's a bugger, I'm sure you'll find another way. Shame I'm not coming with you though.

far queue
1st November 2006, 22:04
Christ, they’re falling like flies.

Just me doing this ride now. My mate on the KLR650 has had to pull out due to last minute bike problems, it’s off the road waiting for parts to come from Japan. So, in view of this, I’ve decided that it’s probably not wise to go too remote by myself. Plus the fact that the Rainbow is now closed, and still not being able to contact the Molesworth Manager – I’ve spoken to his wife, but need to speak to him for permission. Therefore the ride home will be probably be a repeat of the ride up. The ride up remains unchanged, and the Sat day ride remains unchanged.

warewolf
1st November 2006, 22:18
My mate on the KLR650 has had to pull out due to last minute bike problems, it’s off the road waiting for parts to come from Japan.Bugger!

That old thing? So much for parts availability being an advantage for Jappers over European bikes...:Pokey:

warewolf
1st November 2006, 22:50
OK have checked out the last couple of leads. Lud Valley is no go, ends at a locked gate in a farm house yard. Teal Valley ends at an unlocked gate but I didn't go through, was a long way up a private road at the time.

However, I did manage to speak to forest management. The forest stays closed on weekends due to thefts and vandalism. Permit for through trip on the public easement is a possibility, but not in time for this weekend. He said, send us dates, we'll pass on to Carter Holt Harvey for approval. There may be a permit fee and will be a key deposit; key to be collected from the office (below). Weekends only.

Contact details for permit application for Hira forest gates:

Jim Hamilton (or Trish Cook on front desk)
Action Forest Management
66 Oxford Street
Richmond, Nelson
Tel: 03 544 8541

cooneyr
2nd November 2006, 06:23
Bugger - this trip is hitting a few snags! Hope you manage to find a interesting route for the Sat and for the trip home. I'm still planning on taking the bike up to NN over Xmas/new years. I know that your keen to explore round the area FQ, are others i.e. Warewolf interested in joining up for a couple of days?

Cheers
R

warewolf
2nd November 2006, 06:48
are others i.e. Warewolf interested in joining up for a couple of days?Yep. I've got a spare room & garage space if required. I'll be around for the bulk of the time but will have to co-ordinate activities with my missus before I commit to any dates.

Looking at the topomap the other night, there's quite a few gravel roads that need investigating in the area S-SW of Nelson.

cooneyr
2nd November 2006, 08:50
Yep. I've got a spare room & garage space if required. I'll be around for the bulk of the time but will have to co-ordinate activities with my missus before I commit to any dates.

Looking at the topomap the other night, there's quite a few gravel roads that need investigating in the area S-SW of Nelson.

My in-laws are in NN and wifey and I plan on spending the Hols up there so dont need room etc but thanks for the offer. I'm keen to check the place out some more over the holds so will be in touch.

Cheers
R

far queue
2nd November 2006, 21:34
I know that your keen to explore round the area FQYep, that's on the wish list for Xmas, just gotta see how things pan out.

Yep. I've got a spare room & garage space if required. I'll be around for the bulk of the time but will have to co-ordinate activities with my missus before I commit to any dates.

Looking at the topomap the other night, there's quite a few gravel roads that need investigating in the area S-SW of Nelson.I've done no exploring up that way, so happy to go wherever you guys suggest. I'll probably have another go at the Rainbow then too.

PLUG
2nd November 2006, 21:41
... have a safe & enjoyable weekend guys ...

far queue
2nd November 2006, 22:06
... have a safe & enjoyable weekend guys ...Cheers, I intend to :ride:

far queue
6th November 2006, 21:43
OK, settle in, here's the report ...

Got away from home at 12.10, had a good ride over Lewis Pass to Springs Junction, then 35km after Springs took a left to go through the Maruia Saddle to Murchison – the sign at the beginning warning of narrow, winding, rough surfaces with stream crossings sounded promising. And indeed, what a great diversion it was, 32km of native bush, water falls, and great scenery.

At Murchison, I met up and had a coffee with Warewolf. Then it was off the main road again at Longford, just 5km out of Murchison, into Mangles Valley and on to Rotoroa, then the Porika Pylon track, which was steep, good fun and had great views – though it would have been better without all the gear I was carrying - an incentive to get back here sometime with a bit more time to explore. Came across a couple of baby pigs on a track, a black one and a tan and black one – flat out they were going in front of me, they kept looking back, but that bloody motorbike was still there, they must have been rooted by the time I got past them. Took Howards Valley Rd back out onto SHY63, then, as time was getting on it was back onto SHY6 and straight to Nelson and the rally.

I arrived at the rally in the dark at around 9pm where it proved near impossible to find the guys I was to meet up with. Tents and bikes everywhere amongst the trees, and no mobile coverage, so I couldn’t ring for a fix. Eventually found one of them, who pointed me in the right direction, but it turned out he was pissed and had actually pointed me in the wrong direction – anyway, found them in the end and got the house built.

Met, this pommie chick later the evening ... from Dunedin ... had ridden up on a triumph ... couldn’t shut her up ... this could only be ... “you wouldn’t be Woodybee would you”, yep sure enough it was, so I asked her about the chicken strips. Well, Ruralman, she’s hunting for you when she gets back. Good to meet you Woodybee. Had a great night, lots of people and bikes there for a Friday.

Pics …
1, 2, 3 – Maruia Saddle
4, 5, 6 – Porika Track

far queue
6th November 2006, 21:46
Saturday 04/11/06

The day started for me at 8.30, but I really wish it hadn’t. Not feeling the best after the previous nights festivities. Eventually dragged my sorry arse away from the site at 11.00, but really wasn’t feeling up to being tossed about up a pylon track so went to Richmond for a look around, then popped into Stoke to meet Kro and see the DR250 he’s been restoring ... a mighty fine job it is too, and a nice chap he is. Then headed round to Warewolfs for a coffee and check out his garage. Then finally, feeling much better by now, it was off to the Maungatapu at around 3pm and saw more great scenery – you Nelson guys have got some great adventure riding in your backyard, it makes me eager to get back there for more exploring. The Maungatapu was a mixture of gravel road and steep rocky 4wd pylon track, nothing too difficult though, unless you want to explore some of he more obscure bits. Stopped in at Pelorus for a coffee and a venison pie, and provided the sandflies with a feed while I was there, then it was a return over the Maungatapu to the rally site for the evenings festivities. The return trip was made a bit more tricky by heading into the setting sun ... visor down and you cant see for the glare on it, visor up and get bombarded by insects.

Back at the rally site, I found the KB encampment and met up with the usual suspects and managed to put some new faces to names – good to meet you MYGSXF, coolcrazyq, and chickincharge. Another late one, but stone cold sober this time, all set to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the ride home in the morning.

Pics …
1. My Camp site at the rally
2. On the Maungatapu
3. One of the advantages of having a guide to go 1st
4, 5, 6 – more views from the Maungatapu

far queue
6th November 2006, 21:47
Sunday 05/11/06

Up at 0730, had breaky, final farewells with a few people, packed and on the road at 9.10am. Turned off the main road at Wakefield onto Eighty Eight Valley Rd to Hiwipango, and on to Golden Downs – along the way saw a sign to Motueka Gorge so took a diversion to have a look see, but nothing of note there – oh well, if you don’t look you never know. Continued on to St Arnaud and Lake Rotoiti thinking that it would be reasonably touristy, but no, not the case. Nothing of note here either, other than a nice lake, and no fuel available – the only petrol station was closed, so this would have upset my plans had I been continuing on through the Rainbow as originally planned. On to Murchison via the main road for lunch - a bus load of Germans turned up so I was careful not to mention the war. The Muruia Saddle was so good on day one I decided to enjoy it again from the opposite direction. I could see the low cloud shrouding the hills in the distance, then it was back onto the main road again and sure enough struck rain and lower temperatures about 25km before Springs Junction, so pulled up under a tree at Maruia to put the wets and a fleece on. The rain continued until about 40km past Springs Junction. Back into Canterbury and the rising temperature saw me getting bloody hot under layers of fleece and wet weather gear.

So, overall ...
Pros ...
Rode some great backcountry roads, saw some great scenery, met some more great people.
Nice to meet Warewolf, Kro, Woodybee, MYGSXF, coolcrazyq, and chickincharge, and catch up again with Dangerous and Rashika, and my mates from the coast.
Great rally site
Friday night

Cons …
The others that were coming couldn’t make it due to unfortunate circumstances.
Saturday Morning
The Rainbow Rd closure

A special thanks to Warewolf for the time you into put into scouting out the tracks and the time you gave up to guide a stranger around your backyard – thanks mate.

Pics …
1. A small portion of the rally site on Sun morning
2. Eighty Eight Valley Road
3. Motueka Gorge
4. Lake Rotoiti
5 & 6. Maruia Saddle

cooneyr
7th November 2006, 07:49
Cons …
The others that were coming couldn’t make it due to unfortunate circumstances.

3. Motueka Gorge

Awsome trip FQ. Seriously jelous and pissed I couldnt go. Extremely bad planning on my behalf. Still planning on taking the bike to NN over Xmas.

That hole off to the right of the bike in Pic 3 from Sunday is where my Father in law rather randomly decided to take a Toyota Caldina Gt-t (4x4) station wagon. Crazy bugger.

R

warewolf
7th November 2006, 12:04
Nice weekend, thanks Owen. Good to put another face to the handle.

PLUG
7th November 2006, 13:31
... nice work FQ ... if that's a bit of road kill on ya seat ... good effort ...

oldrider
7th November 2006, 14:46
Jeez FQ, you sure had a seriously good week end despite all the set backs in getting going. Good report I enjoyed it.
Overall would a Transalp be suitable for the territory you were in? Cheers John.

far queue
7th November 2006, 15:29
Seriously jelous and pissed I couldnt go. Extremely bad planning on my behalf. Still planning on taking the bike to NN over Xmas.Shit happens, I'm keen to do a variation on this trip to the rally again next year. Plus, there's the xmas trip to plan at some point, although this is still just a possibility, not a definate at this point.

... nice work FQ ... if that's a bit of road kill on ya seat ... good effort ...I was seriously eyeing up the wee porkers as a bit of road kill - would've been great on a spit.

Jeez FQ, you sure had a seriously good week end despite all the set backs in getting going. Good report I enjoyed it.
Overall would a Transalp be suitable for the territory you were in? Cheers John.Yes, I did have fun :yes: Yes, a transalp could do this ride. Muruia Saddle is just undulating dirt road with a few fords, the deepest about 6", Porika track was steep and rocky in places - you wouldn't want to stop and try to get going again on the climbs, but if you keep the power on then no problems. Maungatapu was similar in places, but mostly easier. Plenty of places to stop for a break if needed. Having seen Transalper, throw his transalp about, I know he could do it, and having seen your report on your ride the other day, I dare say you could too.

SDU
7th November 2006, 16:10
Good write up & pics as always FQ.:rockon:

kro
7th November 2006, 16:56
Threads with write ups like this, are what makes KB so interesting to me, I love this stuff. Thanks FQ, great to meet you as well.

warewolf
7th November 2006, 17:37
Overall would a Transalp be suitable for the territory you were in?A Trannie would be no problem at all, perhaps ideal. It was formed roads all the way, just a bit rough. I've done the Maungatapu in winter on a DR-Z250 with road tyres - not dual-purpose/road, but pure road. Nada problem.

miSTa
7th November 2006, 19:40
Great photos Owen. :niceone:

Damn, I missed big time, bugger, bugger, bugger :mad:

Ruralman
7th November 2006, 20:46
[QUOTE=far queue;

Met, this pommie chick later the evening ... from Dunedin ... had ridden up on a triumph ... couldn’t shut her up ... this could only be ... “you wouldn’t be Woodybee would you”, yep sure enough it was, so I asked her about the chicken strips. Well, Ruralman, she’s hunting for you when she gets back. Good to meet you Woodybee. Had a great night, lots of people and bikes there for a Friday.

Thanks mate - if I didn't have a farm i'd consider a change of address about now!! I did tell her it would be a great conversation starter and way of meeting people!
Hey great write up and photos FQ - it does look like a great place for a few days adventure riding.

Ruralman
7th November 2006, 20:51
A Trannie would be no problem at all, perhaps ideal. It was formed roads all the way, just a bit rough. I've done the Maungatapu in winter on a DR-Z250 with road tyres - not dual-purpose/road, but pure road. Nada problem.

I'd be glad I was lifting your KTM out of that hole and not the T/A though.

warewolf
7th November 2006, 21:05
I'd be glad I was lifting your KTM out of that hole and not the T/A though.True, but that wasn't on the main route...not only did we take a slightly more technical diversion, but while Mr Queue was removing the lining on his jacket I had a bit of a play. Mr Queue rode his DR straight through that bit by not aiming for the deepest holes like I did.