PDA

View Full Version : Speedpro's BOB weekend

speedpro
28th September 2006, 22:52
What a great weekend!

Even without the BOB I still had the best weekend for ages. It seemed like everyone I met was out to make the weekend enjoyable. Starting in Wellington with Mr & Mrs Skunk who seemed to actually want to take me and the bucket with them. AJTurbo, SteveK, and Luke who I met for the first time at the ferry and who we travelled to Chch with. And then there was the crowd in Chch who I also met for the first time. Dangerous and Rashika who welcomed me and the Skunks into their home for the weekend - fantastic. Dinner at the pub was great, just being able to sit down, relax, and talk bikes over a (ginger) beer with people who have the same passion I do. SpeedyGirl who's sandwiches I ate - soooooo much better than other food available at the track, thanks heaps.

At the track initially I was a bit concerned that my gearing wouldn't be high enough but it turned out to be near to spot on. Had it howling in top at the end of the straight and 4th seemed good for most of the rest of the track. What a great circuit for buckets Ruapuna track is and what a pleasure to be on a decent sized track for a change. Immediatley noticeable since my previous visits was just how much faster, in general, the SI bucketeers have gotten, and how much slower I seem to be going nowadays. In the races I was taking it real cautious and starting from the back of the grid and keeping well away from trouble. The actual BOB race I slowly got into and finally started getting a handle on just where you could go fast - I'm a slow learner don't you know. Had lots of fun zapping people in the straights and in the end even between corners adjacent to the pits.

Apre-racing had a good catchup with a few guys I've met previously at bucket racing and then back to the Dangerous/Rashika residence for a few more drinks and a pizza or four provided by SpeedyGirl (I think).

Monday morn saw a quite cruise into town to help with a few errands followed by a cruise back to Picton to get the ferry back to reality.

All up my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd days off in 5 or so months were the most fun I've had in a very long time. To everyone who helped make it that way - THANKS very much.

I'll be back next year hopefully and riding a bit more like I used to (without the falling off) and maybe on a new bucket. :rofl:

crashe
28th September 2006, 23:11
Hi mate, Good to hear you are back out there racing...

I guess the shop is keeping you very busy these days...
The young fella must be getting big by now.....

Sparky Bills
28th September 2006, 23:21
Sounds like you need to step up Mr Green.
Im yet to head down that part of the country.
Sounds like you had fun either way, which is the main thing. Isnt it.

I must have a go with the whole bucket thing some day.

Rashika
29th September 2006, 06:49
What a great weekend!

I'll be back next year hopefully and riding a bit more like I used to (without the falling off) and maybe on a new bucket. :rofl:
Damn fine weekend wasn't it. Was bloody awesome to meet you all and you are welcome back anytime :2thumbsup

and PLEEEEEEZE get a new bucket ;)

and sell me yours... :whistle:

Suzi Q
29th September 2006, 07:25
here is a nice photo of Speedpro on the day!

F5 Dave
29th September 2006, 09:45
Build a New Bucket huh? Have you cleared a space in the garage?

There is a race at the end of the year on the new part of the cct at Taupo. May be a difficult time of year for you, but another decent track.

Give us a yell some night & you can roll over the hill for a beer & a point & a laugh at my 125, (which there is a small chance it may even fire up for the first time this weekend).

far queue
29th September 2006, 13:52
here is a nice photo of Speedpro on the day!And here's a crappy photo of Speedpro in front of Dangerous on the day ... only one I've got of you sorry.

Kickaha
29th September 2006, 18:15
There is a race at the end of the year on the new part of the cct at Taupo. May be a difficult time of year for you, but another decent track.

The new Taupo track makes a good bucket track and flows very nicely (even better than B track) on the FXR it was flat out most of the time

Nice to have you down here Mike, hopefully we'll see you at the next one and F5Dave wont wimp out from coming :bleh:

TonyB
29th September 2006, 21:01
Good on ya for heading down here. T'was a shame the weekend was so bloody hectic, as I never really got a chance to meet and greet with anyone.

Damn that bucket of yours is quick!! It was an absolute hoot watching Rashika out there on it in the afternoon, the bloody thing goes like a 400!

dangerous
30th September 2006, 07:11
and how much slower I seem to be going nowadays.

You bloody modest old fart :2thumbsup
I had heard the storys of Mr Green and the likes of Trustum from up north and the pace and skill that they have... so when I 1st meet F5 I figgered yeah hes fast... however when meeting SP for the 1st time and realising hes a old bastard and then to top it off saw his bike... expecting to see a DC type machine i didnt, a scruffy old shiter it looked like.
speedpro, you screwed me over in the BOB i tried to keep pace but slowly droped further back... theres a lot to be said for an old dog even with dodgy health and eye sight :cool:

seventh place in the BOB goes to SPEEDPRO and thats out of 45 bikes, Awesome effort mike, you are the legend I had heard all about, who needs slicks huh?

My write up is under kickaha's BOB report

F5 Dave
2nd October 2006, 08:38
Wimp out of coming Kick? I’ve been to 3 BOBs, two at puna & one at Carrs rd. When was the last time you came to a 2hr or a GP?

I’ll be there next time, sure I can talk my way going away for 2nd anniversary, but 1st was never going to happen.

Kickaha
2nd October 2006, 16:46
Wimp out of coming Kick? I’ve been to 3 BOBs, two at puna & one at Carrs rd. When was the last time you came to a 2hr or a GP?

I’ll be there next time, sure I can talk my way going away for 2nd anniversary, but 1st was never going to happen.

:lol: well perhaps when we get given a bit more notice than what seems to be the standard 1 week notice of the GP event

A few of us were organised to come to a 2 hr at Kaitoke once but then the date got changed and it clashed with one of our winter series round

one day we might make it :yes:

F5 Dave
2nd October 2006, 16:49
Yeah Kiatoke is a bit of a pain atm, they claim they have too many kart members to be leasing out track time.

dangerous
2nd October 2006, 17:38
Yeah Kiatoke is a bit of a pain atm, they claim they have too many kart members to be leasing out track time.

Well its simple isnt it... we have the GP at Ruapuna in 2007

speedpro
2nd October 2006, 22:01
Well its simple isnt it... we have the GP at Ruapuna in 2007

I recall mentioning this idea whilst in Chch. It would be perfect, fast track, fast buckets, fast riders, in other words exactly what the GP should be. The "Miniature Road Racing Grand Prix" to me has always been a continuation of the Ohakea GP which was in the old days the ultimate test of man and machine, which that b'stard Jim Steadman seemed to win more often than not. If the GP was run at Ruapuna I reckon I could talk a Steadman or three into coming along for a play and then you'd see some serious bucket racing. There's a few others as well of coursebut a little less chance of being talked into a trip south.

As for Dangerous - F5 is fast and I'm and old bastard!!!! or words to that effect - you'll keep :buggerd:

F5 Dave
3rd October 2006, 08:23
I'd agree. The GP should be on a decent size track. It is ok on a go kart track when nothing else is available, but I miss those Ohakea days. Even Wigram was ok.

Perhaps if youse guys are keen you could talk with the Auckland club (read John I guess) & suggest that it is held in SI, maybe every 2nd year, sure they wouldn't mind a break from running it.

Skunk
3rd October 2006, 19:19
Perhaps if youse guys are keen you could talk with the Auckland club (read John I guess) & suggest that it is held in SI, maybe every 2nd year,
Bloody good idea I think. :yes:

speedpro
3rd October 2006, 21:33
Whoever applies to run the GP gets to run it. Manners/politics would suggest running the idea past anyone who has run the event on a regular basis recently, in this case I suggest John/Wendy from Auckland.