PDA

View Full Version : The best bike country in the world?

Blackbird
8th May 2003, 20:07
Just had to post this shot recently taken by a mate on the Southern Cross round NZ in 7 days event. It was shot at a camping ground about 2 k's north of Franz Josef.  No wonder increasing numbers of Aussies are shipping their own bikes to NZ for a few weeks!  We have some seriously magical roads, particularly down south eh?

Stormer
8th May 2003, 20:52
Yeah, thats nice. The South Island`s a nice place to tour around on a bike.

Went down to the Brass Monkey a few years back and remember the scenery. Cold, but nice.

Mind you, carn`t remember much of the night at the Monkey though!!

Redstar
8th May 2003, 21:09
looks great!
the cold is all in the mind! You know its really cold when
you have to open your visor cause its fogged so bad you cant see. but when you do that you get perma frost on your eyebrows
and the snot freezes a streak across you face.
you change gear just to test you fingers and feet are still operational.
I got caught on Ice going backwards down hill once that was really scarry.

Blackbird
8th May 2003, 22:45
Hahaha - nice one.  I used to ride a bike to varsity in the English winters cos it was all I had.  That was no fun at all, falling off all the time and freezing to death.  Know where I'd rather be

:p

babyB
8th May 2003, 22:56
yep the south island is a beautiful place to see. we did a bike tour down there a few years ago  for ten days. totaly loved it. the sights were just awsom. mind you it was our honeymoon. lol. with  seven of our good friends. mostly we stayed in cabins and bunk houses (thate where the heritage is) we didnt realy have a plan fot the trip other than the Wanaka air show, that to is so worth seeing if your down there. and the people are just wonderfull too. did get abit cold but hay its still worth it.

NZ has some wonderful places to see we are so lucky