PDA

View Full Version : Ginny camchain

FilthyLuka
30th September 2006, 12:00
hey hey, i got my restricted yesterday! Anywho, i was wheeling my bike into work when i realised that (shock horror) i have a slightly rattly camchain... how painfull is it to tighten a ginny camchain (i wanna do the work myself)? If it cant be tightened, can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what im looking at to pay for a new camchain (i still wanna do the work myself).

Denis

terbang
30th September 2006, 12:18
The Ginny cam chain tensioner is a spring job that doesn't need adjusting. I dont know the cost of the new parts though.

Steam
30th September 2006, 22:41
Forgive me if you are a mechanic, but are you sure you aren't talking about a loose drive chain? The cam chain is inside the engine. You can't see it or get to it without taking the engine apart.

FilthyLuka
30th September 2006, 23:53
Forgive me if you are a mechanic, but are you sure you aren't talking about a loose drive chain? The cam chain is inside the engine. You can't see it or get to it without taking the engine apart.

paahahahahahaha!!! sorry dude, but i am well aware of what a cam chain does and where its located. hehe. its definately not the final drive chain as the bike wasnt moving when i was listening to the minor rattling. Hmm, i think it might just be the noise a gn emmitts. I mean, its pretty much un-notacable unless you put your ear right next to the engine. Heh, if it becomes louder, or if the bike starts running patu, ill pull the engine out/apart and replace the cam chain...

kro
1st October 2006, 15:45
Does the bike smoke at all?. The other cause of it could be the cam bearing surfaces starting to wear, and allowing the cam a very minute amount of slop, which only gets worse.... trust me on this. The cam "knocks" after awhile, and it all goes downhill from there.

The cam chain tensioner is automatic, and is managed by a springloaded tensioner on the back of the motor on the right hand side of the bike, so unless the tensioner pads are worn out, the cam chain should be ok.

cheetor
1st October 2006, 20:16
or, like me, after 25,000Km on my Kwaka I found this inside my head
http://203.79.69.40/~cheetor/ljtemp/camchain/
Shocking aint it..

SARGE
1st October 2006, 21:27
depending on the mileage ..could be just a shim adjustment .. GN's are good for that ..

7-10000 km's is about the range to have them done .. piece of piss to do really

FilthyLuka
1st October 2006, 21:47
nah, it doesnt smoke, it doesnt run bad and it doesnt consume oil. The rattling is very minor and almost inaudible. i think i might be going insane... heh, if it gets louder, ill start worrying more.

FROSTY
8th October 2006, 06:53
mate--Ill stand corrected here as Its 8.00 am and im isn sleep deficit bigtime--The GN uses a spring loaded cam chaint tensioner that basicly tightens in a series of small teeth --so the chain as it wears will get loader and louder till the tensioner spring can click the tensioner rod one more click then all will be quiet again.
Being a lil air cooled multi valve moter they do tend to be a bit clacky anyhoo though

FilthyLuka
10th October 2006, 17:52
mate--Ill stand corrected here as Its 8.00 am and im isn sleep deficit bigtime--The GN uses a spring loaded cam chaint tensioner that basicly tightens in a series of small teeth --so the chain as it wears will get loader and louder till the tensioner spring can click the tensioner rod one more click then all will be quiet again.
Being a lil air cooled multi valve moter they do tend to be a bit clacky anyhoo though

you sir, have just put my mind at ease. thank you. Hmmm... 6:52... i think its obviously time for a blat...

MikeyG
10th October 2006, 18:00
See attached page from manual