PDA

View Full Version : Where to derestrict a 50cc?

kochikaren
30th September 2006, 12:06
Hi All,

Just wondering which places to go to in order to derestrict a 50cc scooter? Preferably on the North Shore ...

I bought a chinese-brand model off trademe two months ago http://www.skooda.co.nz/product.php?id_product=27
and the scoot is great on the flat, but not grunty and slows down significantly on hills. Problem is, I live on the Shore in Auckland (hills hills hills) and I use it to commute to and from work.:scooter:

Also, would you need anything else for derestricting? Eg L bike licence (I'm riding on a car licence), papers, etc?

Does anyone know how much it costs roughly?

I suppose the decision to de-restrict would depend on the amount ... I'd probably sell this and upgrade to a bigger motor ... Anyone looking for a 50cc runabout? I might be open to upgrading if de-restricting costs too much.

Thanks heaps.

MSTRS
30th September 2006, 12:36
Texmo is your scooter guru. Drop him a PM.
Or get a proper bike:2thumbsup

terbang
30th September 2006, 13:01
Whats the similarity between Fat Chicks and Motor Scooters?

They are both great fun to ride untill your mates catch you on them.

Street Gerbil
30th September 2006, 13:40
Talk to Andreas @ Scootling. He can do anything with 50ccs.
AFAIK, a majority of modern scooters are restricted electronically and can be derestricted by installing an aftermarket CDI (costs about $200).

Filterer
30th September 2006, 13:40
Hi All,

Just wondering which places to go to in order to derestrict a 50cc scooter? Preferably on the North Shore ...

Not sure where abouts on the shore but derestricting a scooter is easy, you normally just snip one wire, ive seen one done in about 2min includeing time taken to screw and unscrew front fairing. You just have to know which wire to cut......

davereid
30th September 2006, 19:55
I think your scooter is actually a Baotain. It may or not have electronic speed restriction.

http://taishanowners.proboards41.com/index.cgi?board=mechanical&action=display&thread=1127159027 has all you need to know about derestriction.

If you derestrict it, strictly speaking it is no longer a moped. So you should hold a learners motorcycle licence. And it should be re-registered as a motorcycle - actually an impossible task as it will need VINning which is impossible without the correct papers.

It will also need $208 annual rego not the current $78. And it will need a WOF, which it can't pass !.

All this of course is irrelevant ! Tell me how it goes after the derestriction. Cheers Dave

NSR-Dan
1st October 2006, 19:53
I think your scooter is actually a Baotain. It may or not have electronic speed restriction.

http://taishanowners.proboards41.com/index.cgi?board=mechanical&action=display&thread=1127159027 has all you need to know about derestriction.

If you derestrict it, strictly speaking it is no longer a moped. So you should hold a learners motorcycle licence. And it should be re-registered as a motorcycle - actually an impossible task as it will need VINning which is impossible without the correct papers.

It will also need $208 annual rego not the current $78. And it will need a WOF, which it can't pass !.

All this of course is irrelevant ! Tell me how it goes after the derestriction. Cheers Dave

Ok who cares if it has to be registered as not a moped
if a cop pulls you up and its still a 50cc, (even with a 77cc or 94cc kit you cant tell the difference) there is no way he will be able to tell you its not a 50cc or more than 2kw unless it goes to an engineer or gets a dyno done, which i highly doubt the will do.

ok mods for your scooter. i sell an upgrade kit and will install it for you for $400, i have done this on my 50cc scooter and it makes a huge difference
i will:
*first Derestrict it, some are not even restricted as the ones i import are not
*add higher rated clutch springs, this will make the clutch ingage at 2000rpm giving a faster take of.
*add lighter roller weights, this will make the scooter rev out more giving you a bit more acceleration and more power uphills
*fit a performance pod filter, more air.
*go up a few sizes in the main jet, more fuel.
*adjust the needle to suit.
*and add a high speed variator, will add about 15km top speed to the bike.

this will all be done and installed by our experiance team at DSracing. (we have modified and tested our scooters enough and friends and other customers to know what we are doin)

we can also have a racing exhaust available. but i have to check my supplier if he is still getting them in.

that page dave gave you is great, only other i would go for is getting a pod filter cause the standard airboxes are crap. dont worry about a ram-air system cause you will just flood the engine with to much air.

WINJA
1st October 2006, 22:57
Some Of Those Scooters Can Be Derestricted By Simply Taking A Washer Out Of The Exhaust , You Only Need Limited Mechanical Knowledge To Check , Ask A Friend To Help

Finn
1st October 2006, 23:09
Ask A Friend To Help

Where do I find one of them?

marty
2nd October 2006, 07:47
easiest way to make a scooter go faster is to lose 20kg off your arse

NSR-Dan
7th October 2006, 22:38
easiest way to make a scooter go faster is to lose 20kg off your arse

i told my mate that but he wont listen lol

also i find head down and tucking in can gain about an extra 5-10 kmh

WINJA
7th October 2006, 22:42
i told my mate that but he wont listen lol

also i find head down and tucking in can gain about an extra 5-10 kmh

ALSO TAKE ONE HAND OFF THE BAR AND PUT IT BEHIND YOUR BACK

Ogmios
2nd May 2011, 10:27
Hi folks,
reviver of old threads here- AND asking for help without giving any.. so far, anyhow.:facepalm:

Help!
how the hell do you get a streetmagic over 30mph?
i know ours WAS not restricted until it was laid up for about a year. :blink:
(Mrs Og actually owns it / i get to play as both my Bikes are broke. :angry:

an odd problem. doubt its the washer under the belt as it USED to do about 40mph no problem.
So.... what now?
it's driving us nuts /i write in desperation/please pardon the bad manners;
only posting coz i'm looking for help and though i've done a google - no joy.

Thanks in advance - any ideas much appreciated.
~~
Og in Dublin.

MSTRS
2nd May 2011, 10:49
2 strokes have seals on the crankshaft. If they sit for long periods, these seals loose their properties/go dry. Obviously this affects the performance of the engine.

Ogmios
4th May 2011, 20:53
2 strokes have seals on the crankshaft. If they sit for long periods, these seals loose their properties/go dry. Obviously this affects the performance of the engine.

Good grief!
i sincerely hope it aint that bad. :shit:
hope to be getting my old steed back on the road soon (ancient BMW GS ) so i'll be a little less of a cry baby.

only a little less. :innocent: