PDA

View Full Version : Learning to ride with gears

Morcs
30th September 2006, 19:47
Just gone from bike-shaped scooter (gilera dna) to a bandit 250. The handling isnt an issue, I find the bandit easy to throw around and manoever - apart from power delivery.

Cant practice on the road as im disqualified, so going round my little street is my only option - though i take it easy with the odd spurt hard on the throttle.

I did an initial early morning practice in a car park with my experienced mate, just getting over the stalling, and learning about the use of the clutch..

Well since ive been doing 15 minutes on my street every night i get home from work, just finding out my own way, what not to do and stuff..

Well at the point of smooth shifting - shifting up at low revs is easy, but when at 5k+ the rear wheel is locking, and the same when i downshift quickly.

Just wondering the correct sequence of shifting - clutch disengage, throttle near closed, shift, the clutch slowly back out and power back on?

The same with downshifting - had the rear wheel out wide in the wet from a vigorous downshift :whistle:

Someone please tell me the correct sequences? so I can go practice some more :wari:

Mr. Peanut
30th September 2006, 19:52
To shift up, put pressure on the gearchange, let off the throttle briefly and bring it on again (in-out). The bike should change without the clutch.

To shift down, clutch in, quick blip of throttle while changing gear, clutch out.

The rear wheel is locking because you're letting your revs drop too much for your upshifts, and not blipping for your down. You don't even need your clutch for upshifts, just do as above.

SwanTiger
30th September 2006, 21:36
Perhaps try riding the clutch slightly when letting it out until you get a feel for it, it shouldn't hurt the bike at all (or much). If you're still having trouble shoot me a PM and I'll come around and help you out if you like, it'll have to be next weekend when I get my license back though!

Morcs
1st October 2006, 10:43
Took the bike onto the next quiet street (nice long hill) so I could stretch its legs up and down through the gears - got the hang of it now.:banana:

Next up: controlling the power delivery through corners..

Cheers guys :)

Thanks for the offer swanny, hope to have myself sorted by then, then its just get my damned license back and get some road time in...

sunhuntin
1st October 2006, 16:14
for corners...myself, i slow as i get to them, and then accelerate once i can see out the other end. my bike isnt a leaner, lol. but i do try and make her lean sometimes. depends on everything.

someone had a siggy on here : better to go into a corner slow and come out fast, than go in fast and not come out at all.

also read skidmarks thread in biker ravings.

SwanTiger
1st October 2006, 18:20
Next up: controlling the power delivery through corners.
A good tip I can give you about this is if you've ever played with a slot car set on a figure eight track you know that you can't just go full tittes the whole way round. Instead you've got to pulse the power and slingshot the slot cars out of the corners and it almost becomes rythmic.

Practise that in a local carpark and keep the above theory in mind.

I use to spend up to 1 - 2 hours a night practising in a local car park and my cornering and throttle control improved very quickly.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the offer swanny
No worries, if you're ever keen on going for a ride let me know.

Morcs
2nd October 2006, 11:31
Yep its in the respect of the power delivery when ive shifted down - and power back on - one minutes its not there, then its there by the bagfull...

On the scooter, i could come into a corner at speed, front brake before entry, apply a little bit of throttle, slowly increasing until i exit - very smooth all the way through, sometimes feathering the rear brake.

I just need to find some fast corners in my neighbourhood i can do some early morning practice on...

Morcs
4th October 2006, 10:15
Last up of the basics: Hill starting.

Tried a few on an extremely steep gradient, couldnt get going...

On a less severe gradient managed too, still finding it difficult...

Any tips would be appreciated :)

Wasp
4th October 2006, 11:10
power on my bandit starts at 5-6k rpm (take off from 4k is possible), most power is between 10k and 12k.

only problem i've ever had is when changing down from 3rd to 2nd resulting in high rpm in 2nd and the bike lurching and threatening to lock the rear.

any questions about the bandit feel free to ask me

also note that these bikes like to have their nuts revved off of them, pootling around at low rpm will foul the plugs and carbs (the main reason why people with 250 bandits buy iridium plugs)

Morcs
30th October 2006, 12:46
only problem i've ever had is when changing down from 3rd to 2nd resulting in high rpm in 2nd and the bike lurching and threatening to lock the rear.

Yep, did that the other day doing 100.. but my fresh rubber soon snapped the rear wheel back in place...

Pretty much completely sweet with the gears now, so if anyone in west auckland is keen for a ride, give me a shout - and no i dont ride like a pissy nana - my scooter topped 140 and kicked arse in twisties :Punk:

The Stranger
30th October 2006, 12:51
A good tip I can give you about this is if you've ever played with a slot car set on a figure eight track you know that you can't just go full tittes the whole way round. Instead you've got to pulse the power and slingshot the slot cars out of the corners and it almost becomes rythmic.

Are you saying pulse the power around the corner, like open and close the throttle through the corner?

Steam
30th October 2006, 12:53
and no i dont ride like a pissy nana - my scooter topped 140 and kicked arse in twisties :Punk:

How'dja lose your license?

Morcs
30th October 2006, 13:08
How'dja lose your license?
ssssh..

Are you saying pulse the power around the corner, like open and close the throttle through the corner?

You should lay off the power when entering a bend, and not put the power back on until you can put it on hard, and keep it on ;)

xwhatsit
30th October 2006, 13:34
Yeah I was told that you shouldn't really play around with the throttle within a corner -- it upsets the balance of the bike heaps. Instead, drive it like an open-wheeler; smoothly start winding on power from the apex, or just before; just don't chicken out and back off suddenly, or you'll end up upsetting the balance again.

Then again I don't know shit about bikes, being somebody who ran off the road on a fairly straightforward corner on a KB 250 ride :P.

SwanTiger
30th October 2006, 19:38

Haha, no of course I'm not suggesting that, I mean as you go into an out of a corner. Off (not completely off, but off the throttle persey) and then On as you exit out. Hard to explain unless you "get" the slot car thing.

mops
10th November 2006, 15:39
yeach, i got a same bandit and i do find it a bit tricky at times...

power delivery is a bit skewed, and i tend to scrape my shoes on off-camber corners alot...

hill starting is tricky, i have to do it every day to get out of work's garage. the way i normally do it is I stand up and for a split of the second i'm holding the bike using just my body weight, while 1st is already on, just revup and release clutch with alot of slipping....

gear changing is tricky aswell.. on down shifts you need a right amount of blip, otherwise rear can lock up really easily... i always use clutch up or down shifts...

Morcs
10th November 2006, 16:00
Ive got round hill starts now, just sit with the clutch in, and foot on back brake, when you want to go, give it some revs (i do about 6k) and at the same time slip the clutch out and foot off the back brake.

The thing i hate most is stop start traffic on roads that you cant split. Drives me nuts. The scooter was so much better for round town!

sinned
14th November 2006, 16:43
Ive got round hill starts now, just sit with the clutch in, and foot on back brake, when you want to go, give it some revs (i do about 6k) and at the same time slip the clutch out and foot off the back brake.

The thing i hate most is stop start traffic on roads that you cant split. Drives me nuts. The scooter was so much better for round town!

Try an SV1000s in stop start - a real pain makes me appreciate the old SR250. But no I wouldn't go back.