PDA

View Full Version : Bike security

FROSTY
28th June 2004, 08:46
I know nothing is going to stop the serious bike thief but a couple of tricks I Used to use to slow down joyriders
1) fit a second fuel tap well up under your tank and turn it off when you are leaving your bike.The joyriders get 500m or so down the road and run out of gas.
2)Oldie but a goodie--fit a second -concealed kill switch
again it slows em down.
Anyone else got ideas to slow the buggers down

Jackrat
28th June 2004, 09:35
I just use ye olde faithfull chain & Abus lock.
Like you say,nothing will stop the serious thief.
Pity we can't carry an use hand guns huh!!

Dr Bob
28th June 2004, 09:50
A friend of mine had an old trail bike that had no ignition switch, I don't know if this actually works or whether he did actually do this. But he said that he connected a second coil he had lying around, with the high tension going to the handle bars. He said on several occassions he came back to his bike to find it lying on the ground with signs of a struggle.

F5 Dave
28th June 2004, 14:09
Yeah I’ve had ‘friends’ who’ve told those sort of tails too. The sort that little kids start with "imagine if. . . "

I used to pull the HT lead a little way out of my old XR coil, but I forgot about it & it still started as the spark jumps a gap. Should have just taken the HT lead with me, -like anyone was going to be walking around with one. Unless you parked it in the same place.

Make the hidden kill switch out of the eye’s way but easy to use, so you do, like behind a side cover.

For the garage you can get some wire rope made up by a rigging company like Cookes in Lower Hutt. Wire rope is hard to cut, but the buggers use loppers on the rivet that holds it together so get like 1” thick cable so it makes things a bit too big to get choppers on. Spend money on a decent lock that can fit through all this.

Cover it with plastic bendy tube (before they make loops in the end) so it doesn’t scratch the bike. Find a decent (Non wood) anchor point.

Don’t store an angle grinder or anything else in the garage which could be used to attack your security.

A couple of hundred dollars well spent will slow them down, hopefully enough so they give up.