PDA

View Full Version : I'm winning now

Jackrat
28th June 2004, 10:36
The Mrs an I have a long running argument about which is most Dangerous.
Bikes or horses.
In the last two years she has broken her wrist,two ribs and Damaged her elbow.I've not hurt my selfs in years.Two weeks ago she took a small fall from her horse,no worrys just a sprained ankle.Trouble is it didn't get better,it actualy got worse so it was off the doc.
So I picked her up from the hospital last night.She's been there three days.Leg broken in two places ya' see.Walking around on it for 10 days didn't help much either.So now she has a plate in her leg and the horse is for sale.
Anybody want'a buy a horse.

White trash
28th June 2004, 10:45
Finally! Some evidence to support what I've said for years.

Sorry to hear about the injury, Mrs Jackrat.

MikeL
28th June 2004, 10:56
Finally! Some evidence to support what I've said for years.

Me too. Sitting on a horse is just plain scary compared to riding a bike. You're such a long way from the ground...

Cajun
28th June 2004, 12:00
Mother in law breeds horses, i riden her price stallon a few times, i felt saver racing around at 200km/h+ in torrently raining (yes i have done this before)

750Y
28th June 2004, 12:00
JELLYMEAT 8-)

Dr Bob
28th June 2004, 12:19
How do you measure the power of a horse?

The last horse I rode was a quarter breed clydesdale, the remaining ancestors must have all been rather large or they would have difficulty doing the deed. The horse (big ted) was rather a galloof on the gallop and didn't like going down hills, but I would have to say horse riding is definately on a par with biking.

Firefight
28th June 2004, 12:23
hey jackrat, sorry to hear about Mrs JR,

In a year at woodhill forest, there are about 3-4 heilcopter evacs from bike park, and maybe 8 -10 via road ambulance, at the section of the park were the horses ride its about 4 times that, and we have sometimes upward of 400 riders over a winter weekend compared to 50 or so horses.

I know which is safer, and it aint the dog tucker

F/F

Cajun
28th June 2004, 12:23
mother in law horses are andalisos or something the spanish dancing horse things.

Motu
28th June 2004, 12:28
I've been having this argument with horsey types for years,but they just won't admit it,but are quite sure that bike riders are the bad guys.ACC payouts to horse riding accidents are huge,right up there with the contact sports...you can pick on rugby and motorcycles,but just leave the horse riders alone,ok?

Then again - my cousin lives just up the road from you Jack and trains horses for living,sure she gets a few hits - last time a horse pinned her against the side of her float,but it's her job and like a professional motorcyclist I bet her accidents to time spent on horses would be lower than the average horse rider.

Dr Bob
28th June 2004, 12:31
Motorcycling and horsing around are okay, but stay away from outdoor bowls. This sport has the highest number of fatalities a year.

Paul in NZ
28th June 2004, 12:39
Sorry to hear about your lady love.. That had to hurt - (walking around on a broken leg - very staunch)

I guess you will have to find another hobby to explain all the whips and spurs now?

Paul N

"In the choice of a horse and a wife, a man must please himself, ignoring the opinion and advice of friends."
-- George John Whyte-Melville

jrandom
28th June 2004, 12:43
Always suspected as much.

Not that I've ever had the horse-riding women in my life (why is it always women?) agreeing... "it's just different". Bollocks it is. Bikes don't go mental and bolt.

And I've never had to drive a car slowly behind a small herd of panicky riderless motorcycles that started themselves up, escaped from a parking area by Te Atatu Road and decided to proceed, riderless, onto the motorway. Horses, though? Yup.

I don't trust horses.

Mongoose
28th June 2004, 12:55
Sorry to hear about your lady love.. That had to hurt - (walking around on a broken leg - very staunch)

I guess you will have to find another hobby to explain all the whips and spurs now?

Paul N

"In the choice of a horse and a wife, a man must please himself, ignoring the opinion and advice of friends."
-- George John Whyte-Melville

Good to see you on here Paul, also good to see you are not scared to show what a real pack-horse(read Guzzi) looks like all tooled up and ready to go.

Jackrat
28th June 2004, 13:13
I'll pass the good wishes on to the Mrs.
But dog tucker,No even I wouldn't go there.This guys worth $4000 so I think we'll just put him on Trade me an see what happens.
Cheers.

vifferman
28th June 2004, 13:24
[Me too. Sitting on a horse is just plain scary compared to riding a bike. You're such a long way from the ground..... and there are no handlebars.
Not that I've ever been on a horse, despite several opportunites. Patted one once. Brave, eh? :Pokey:

svs
28th June 2004, 14:52
From ACC:
<table border=1>
<tr><td> </td><td colspan=2>New </td><td colspan=2> Ongoing </td></tr>
<tr><td></td><td> No. </td><td> Cost ($000) </td><td>No. </td><td> Cost ($000)</td></tr>
<tr><td>Horse Riding 2003‑07/2004‑03 </td><td>243</td><td> 945 </td><td>134 </td><td>2,796 </td></tr>
<tr><td>Motor Cycling 2003‑07/2004‑03 </td><td>137 </td><td>736 </td><td>66</td><td> 1,378 </td></tr>
</table>
This is the 'sport' section so I presume it doesn't include road accident data.
From the road accident data:
<table border=1>
<tr><td></td><td> No. </td><td> Cost ($000) </td><td>No. </td><td> Cost ($000)</td></tr>
<tr><td>Motorcycle driver/passenger 2003‑07/2004‑03 </td><td>557 </td><td>3,248 </td><td>1,320 </td><td>28,998 </td></tr>
</table>

No mention of horses. Make your own conclusions.

kerryg
28th June 2004, 16:00
From ACC:
<table border=1>
<tr><td> </td><td colspan=2>New </td><td colspan=2> Ongoing </td></tr>
<tr><td>Horse Riding 2003‑07/2004‑03 </td><td>243</td><td> 945 </td><td>134 </td><td>2,796 </td></tr>
<tr><td>Motor Cycling 2003‑07/2004‑03 </td><td>137 </td><td>736 </td><td>66</td><td> 1,378 </td></tr>
</table>
This is the 'sport' section so I presume it doesn't include road accident data.
From the road accident data:
<table border=1>
<tr><td>Motorcycle driver/passenger 2003‑07/2004‑03 </td><td>557 </td><td>3,248 </td><td>1,320 </td><td>28,998 </td></tr>
</table>

No mention of horses. Make your own conclusions.

I WANT TO KNOW WHY HORSES-OWNERS DON'T HAVE TO PAY WALLOPING GREAT ACC LEVIES THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul in NZ
28th June 2004, 16:09
I WANT TO KNOW WHY HORSES-OWNERS DON'T HAVE TO PAY WALLOPING GREAT ACC LEVIES THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think they pay the full amount but they regularly leave a deposit on the road...

Paul N

Feels a bit daft picking up my dogs poo on the beach which a freakin' great horse lays a cable the size of Stewart Island and the owner never blinks...

svs
28th June 2004, 16:15
I don't have a problem with horse owners not paying ACC leveys. After all I don't pay ACC leveys for the race bike.

However, it pisses me off a bit that 'motorsport' is specifically excluded from our life insurance policy whereas you are allowed to ride horses - no worries.

BTW. Link to ACC (http://www.acc.org.nz/about-acc/acc-injury-statistics/) from where above info came from

vifferman
28th June 2004, 16:46
What I don't understand is if ACC make us as motorcyclists pay higher levies as part of the 'user pays' philosophy, why then don't they make sports clubs pay levies and they could then levy their members?

Go on - tell me; it's because the same mindset applies as in the LTSA - it's EASY to suck money out of us hapless peoples.:Pokey:

SPman
28th June 2004, 17:50
...You're such a long way from the ground... Bit like a KTM 950 ! :rolleyes:

Kickaha
28th June 2004, 18:08
I've ridden horses a lot less than bikes but fallen off horses more.

Horses are harder to ride the brakes aren't as good and countersteering doesn't work.

Two Smoker
28th June 2004, 18:12

Horses are harder to ride the brakes aren't as good and countersteering doesn't work.
LOL, they look like they wheelie well....... On a horse i dont think i could get my knee down :no:

Big Dog
28th June 2004, 18:46
Bikes don't go mental and bolt.

Oh yes they do! I take it you have never owned a Honda 100? that was all 8 horses at once :killingme

Big Dog
28th June 2004, 18:49
you can pick on rugby and motorcycles,but just leave the horse riders alone,ok?
Yeah but very few horse riders wear a helmet let alone padded jackets or braced boots. Say what you like about Jodpurs but they are just thick lycra and will not keep out a sharp stick.

Kickaha
28th June 2004, 18:56
LOL, they look like they wheelie well....... On a horse i dont think i could get my knee down :no:

Trust me you can,about the same time as your head and arse!

Jackrat
28th June 2004, 19:02

Ummmm,The brakes are pretty good actualy,it's just that your not in charge of them.They do have counter steering,It's called neck reining,But you got to know what your doing.As far as falling off goes,I also used to fall off more than on me bike,even the dirt bikes an that's really saying something aye.
The pluses for a bike is they don't kick,bite,or stand on your foot and smile,they don't bolt,They don't freak out over the same letter box they've seen everyday for the last ten years,They don't eat if they arn't being ridden,They don't stop suddenly when going down hill,they don't bugger off if you turn your back or let go for a second,and they don't walk 10 yards in front of you all the bloody way home,They also don't shit in the driveway so the next bike that comes along slips in it an does $$$ worth of damage.
Oh yeah they also don't head for the only tree in the paddock and wipe you off by ducking under it at the last moment.
Hey it's been a bit of a hollow victory but damn I'm happy it's over at last.

riffer
28th June 2004, 19:16
I gotta disagree with damn near all of you.

Firstly, what happened to supporting your partner in what they want to do?

Secondly, if this was a bike crash we'd all be wishing Mrs Jackrat fast healing and back on the bike as soon as possible.

Horse are dangerous, bikes are dangerous. Get over it.

Don't sell the horse. Get back on the sucker.

How would you feel if your wife was making you put the XS on trademe because it had thrown you down the road?

Yeah horses are funny animals - but they can be incredibly rewarding too. I hope your wife doesn't regret selling the horse...

Big Dog
28th June 2004, 20:05
How would you feel if your wife was making you put the XS on trademe because it had thrown you down the road?

Yeah horses are funny animals - but they can be incredibly rewarding too. I hope your wife doesn't regret selling the horse...
Funny I read it that she wanted shot of the horse. He is just making light of the fact that she lived long enough to make that decision.

and sometimes you gotta say well I am now smart enough to know what is not good for me.

Jackrat
28th June 2004, 20:27
I gotta disagree with damn near all of you.

Firstly, what happened to supporting your partner in what they want to do?

Secondly, if this was a bike crash we'd all be wishing Mrs Jackrat fast healing and back on the bike as soon as possible.

Horse are dangerous, bikes are dangerous. Get over it.

Don't sell the horse. Get back on the sucker.

My wife has been thinking of chucking it in for a while,We have NEVER forced each other into anything.Most of the replys to this post HAVE been well wishers.I am glad she's chucking it in as I've seen her in hospital on several occasions,but at the same time if she wanted to carry on she would still have my full support as she always has.Mate I bought her a $5000 horse float.Our 4x4 was bought mainly with towing the thing in mind,She has around $5000 worth of gear and her horse, I broke and trained for her as a three year old.The property we live on is due to her horse riding,our life style revoles around horses and the other animals that we both have an interest in.
I hear were your coming from, but mate,take it easy it was a piss take Ok.

MikeL
28th June 2004, 21:13
FWIW when I was in Waikato Hospital being treated for my broken collarbone, the charge nurse told me that the accidents resulting in this particular injury were caused by (in numerical order):
1. horse riding
2. cycling
3. motorbikes
Anecdotal and easy to pick holes in (after all, there are probably lots more horsey people in the Waikato than bikers...) but it does tend to indicate that speed is not necessarily the most important factor...

BTW I have ridden something even scarier than a horse: a camel. Only once.

riffer
29th June 2004, 07:31
I hear were your coming from, but mate,take it easy it was a piss take Ok.
No worries JackRat :)