PDA

View Full Version : Te Pahu ride

carver
2nd October 2006, 10:38
well, it was sunday afternoon, about 1pm, the weather was looking ok, and me and my G/F had been having luch at BK.
The ever faithfull honda was parked up outside, see
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=637214#post637214
after the weekend of madness http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=36511
it was time to unwind,so i took the honda out to raglan ways.
On the way out of hamilton i got to thinking, this bike is amazing.
2 up it would haul me and my G/F at 90kph, and still be nice and smooth, give me 28-31km/l, be comfortable for both of us, give good handling and a nice ride..and i got it for 2.5k 6 months old.
the old XL/SL125 motor is bound to be reliable, and the bike has only cost me one service!
anyhow, we turn off down te-pahu rd, and im averaging 90-100kph 2 up.
I used to have a CG 125, and man, i got to admit, honda builds the best 125 4ST motors i have ever used.
Anyhow, after some fun in the twisties we turn onto Old Mountain rd, which bypasses the divvy on the way to raglan, its a gravel road which starts off very rough and gets smoother.
Once i had got into gravel mode i was travling at a relaxed 40-60kph, we stopped a few times for the views.
part of this run is quite steep, this is good 4 stoke territory.
the honda does about 280km to its 12lt tank (my DT did 130) so we had plenty of gas, anyhow the road ended at a Y intersection, and we decied to head up the gravel road leading to the gun club.
I must admit, i had no idea where this road went to.
anyhow, this road turned out to be a nice wide easy gravel road, without too many big rocks, the honda rolled onwards.
at the end of this road we found ourselves on a very narrow back country road, but found another gravel road off that, this one was straight as, so i took the honda up to 80kph, it turned out that this road led back onto te-pahu rd.
on the way back to hamilton we saw the large rainclouds approaching, we got a few large drops on us.
once home it pissed down with thunder rolling, me poor G/F had to ride her Hinda Today home in the rain...
oh well, what can i say, why buy a GN? get a NXR!

DR650SE
2nd October 2006, 21:21
sound like a good ride i must do it some day

Wolf
6th October 2006, 12:24
Sounds like a great ride, Carver. Will have to check it out and get some more gravel practise - would invite you to join me but I'm afraid you wouldn't cope with the speed I'd be doing...

..you'd wind up taking off and leaving me behind out of sheer frustration. :D

carver
6th October 2006, 13:24
Sounds like a great ride, Carver. Will have to check it out and get some more gravel practise - would invite you to join me but I'm afraid you wouldn't cope with the speed I'd be doing...

..you'd wind up taking off and leaving me behind out of sheer frustration. :D

i know, its a bad habbit of mine...:whistle:

Wolf
6th October 2006, 15:15
i know, its a bad habbit of mine...:whistle:
I'll say, you managed it 8 times on one short ride! :p

carver
6th October 2006, 15:32
well, i can give you some pointers on how to keep a good pace on gravel...
Im no big dave or motu, but i can keep a 60-80kph cruising speed without a pillion.
I found Warr and Mental trousers good to ride with, they keep a nice fast pace...