PDA

View Full Version : GSXR250 fuel problem

Drum
2nd October 2006, 13:19
A question for a friend.

The main tank on her 1988 GSXR250 runs out of fuel at around 90km's, and she has to switch to reserve.

This sounds like way too much fuel consumption to me (its a 15L tank I think).

Anyone heard of this problem before??

carver
2nd October 2006, 13:28
if it has the plate ending in TJD and its blue, i can explain...

MSTRS
2nd October 2006, 14:37
We need to know how much fuel the tank holds (not what the specs say). And we need to know how far it goes when on reserve.
If it is using what you suggest, it would run like a sack of shit. Are the plugs black and dripping wet??
I suspect it has capacity issues for some reason, not using too much.

Drum
2nd October 2006, 14:45
She says that it took $20 to fill up once the main tank ran out. That seems to agree with the 15L assumption. She reckons it only runs for approx 10km on reserve, and the plugs are only 3 weeks old (Havnt checked them for blackness or wetness).

I cant believe that it would be that uneconomical.

Drum
2nd October 2006, 14:46
if it has the plate ending in TJD and its blue, i can explain...

Nope, not that one Carver. Any suggestions anyway?

MSTRS
2nd October 2006, 14:54
She says that it took $20 to fill up once the main tank ran out. That seems to agree with the 15L assumption. She reckons it only runs for approx 10km on reserve, and the plugs are only 3 weeks old (Havnt checked them for blackness or wetness).

I cant believe that it would be that uneconomical.

Hmmm. Neither can I. Put a new air filter in it. These problems are usually very simple...

Wasp
2nd October 2006, 15:05
Drum. I get 150kms for a tank of gas on my gsf and thats jetted and has the cycleworks exhaust on it....

90km is terrible.... carbs - air/fuel problem?

carver
2nd October 2006, 15:21
my 89 gixer did 11-10km/lt, the owner had big jets installed, but those models never had good carbs you see, suzuki fucked up with the gixer 250.
also because of the carbs the valves carbon up, which makes em loose compression.
at 17 thou RPM my one would shoot flames...me thinks this was from unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Drum
2nd October 2006, 15:57
my 89 gixer did 11-10km/lt, the owner had big jets installed, but those models never had good carbs you see, suzuki fucked up with the gixer 250.
also because of the carbs the valves carbon up, which makes em loose compression.
at 17 thou RPM my one would shoot flames...me thinks this was from unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Thats terrible mileage for a 250!

The carbs on my friends bike were recently balanced (i.e. in the last month), but at 90k's to a tank the fuel must be fair dripping out the back!

MSTRS
2nd October 2006, 18:24
my 89 gixer did 11-10km/lt, ....

Oh dear! My old 1100 gets around 17km/lt on the road - even a trackday only drops it to around 12km/lt

Wasp
2nd October 2006, 23:31
BINGO!! exactly what happens with my gsf :yes: (its jetted and has an exhaust)

Drum
3rd October 2006, 06:58
Hmmm. Neither can I. Put a new air filter in it. These problems are usually very simple...

She had it in the shop last week for this problem and they put a new air filter in. They said the previous one was so old it had disintegrated. The new filter failed to solve the problem.

Is it possible some bits of the old filter have got into the system and could be causing this?

The bike runs fine, smoothly, except it takes quite a while to warm up. It can stall within teh first 5 minutes or so of starting if not given sufficient throttle.

MSTRS
3rd October 2006, 07:42
Sounds like a total strip/rebuild of carbs is imminent....and even that won't help from what others are saying.
Time to flick it & replace?

Drum
3rd October 2006, 08:43
Sounds like a total strip/rebuild of carbs is imminent....and even that won't help from what others are saying.
Time to flick it & replace?

LOL, shes only had it a month or so.
Shows the consequences of buying a bike off Trademe without going for a ride first. She got it for $1800, and has spent another $800 on it, and still has this issue, and some electrics problem (battery goes flat within a week if using the headlight).

Thanks for your suggestions.

MSTRS
3rd October 2006, 08:54
Only a month?? You'd have to be thinking the last owner 'knew something'...
Put it down to experience and move it on - might be best.

MSTRS
3rd October 2006, 08:58
The bike runs fine, smoothly, except it takes quite a while to warm up. It can stall within teh first 5 minutes or so of starting if not given sufficient throttle.

Just a thought...if it takes forever to warm up, perhaps the thermostat is jammed open or missing. And is your g/f turning the choke off??

Viddy
12th October 2006, 00:13
My 89 GSXR 250 seems to get anywhere between 11 to 14 km/litre. That said, I don't tend to ride to conserve fuel... If I had wanted that, I'd have bought a gn250 or similar :)

I also tend to ride it on short trips as I am on my learners so don't tend to be able to get it out into the country much. *cough*atthespeedlimit*cough*honest*cough*

Noticed that it doesn't like starting on cold mornings, needs a bit of choke.

Only time I've ever seen it get off cold on the temp gauge is after a blat into the country on a hot day, and then in town, it got warm.

_tui_
13th April 2007, 12:21
I'm having the same problem with my bike that I just got on the road a couple of days ago. I don't think the problem is as bad as your friends but it's definitly not right! I'm only getting about 13km/lt and I'm not even thrashing it!
I've looked for fuel leaks and can't see any, maybe it is the carbs that have been messed with, that's massive consumption for a 250 though, even with bigger jets.
My bike has warming up issues, I meant it runs fine, starts without the choke and everything but it the temp only ever gets to half way if I leave it idling for ages and there is absolutly no wind. That could be something else though like someone taking out the thermosate, if these bikes even have thermostats, do they??
Keep the ideas comming, this ones got me puzzled,
I'll let you know if I figure it out,

Cheers

_tui_
6th June 2007, 12:58
Well my problem was a fuel leak around where the fuel guage float goes in. I clearly didn't look hard enough the first time, I would tell you what it uses now but that'll have to wait until it's back on the road, stupid white lines:angry: