PDA

View Full Version : Kaipara 200 who's going?

bl4de
2nd October 2006, 18:14
Anyone doing the Kaipara 200?
I'm using this as my first adventure ride, so i'm hoping you more experienced guys are gonna have lots of tips for me, apart from "dont fall off"
I'll be the one on the little DR250 with the nervous grin trying to look like i belong there. Lets hope this bloody rain stops by then or does that just add to the fun?

Crisis management
2nd October 2006, 18:23
I've offered up my body to the adventure riding gods as well.....
The last time I was on a trail bike I seem to remember a tree and a sudden attack of gravity, so I'm doing the training session as well in the hope that something will sink in.
Should be a lot of fun, although I have no real idea of what I have got into so I may live to regret this.

I'll be the old bald guy underneath the DR650, please feel free to rescue me at any time..I respond well to alcohol.

Cary
2nd October 2006, 19:41
First Adv ride for me to, done plenty of gravel road rides but nothing else. Must say i'm keen to see what the XT can take. By the sounds it's gonna be a good one to do first up.

I'm a trained 1st aider so will have the JD's on stand by :2thumbsup

Motu
2nd October 2006, 19:42
I'll be there...the old fart on the white Yamaha DT230.Don't follow me,I'll be lost too!

far queue
2nd October 2006, 20:25
Have fun guys

Crisis management
3rd October 2006, 13:26
How about a meet up before the start??
I'm not suggesting we have to form a band of brothers and hold hands all day but I would appreciate putting a face to a name and we can then at least co-ordinate our lies for later posting....

Anyone???

Garry.W
3rd October 2006, 14:43
Four of us (4Skins, Rog, SBSP and me) leaving Wellington Thursday 19 October for the jaunt North and coming back to arrive Wellington Tuesday 24th. Others coming up on different days apparently.

But for us - six days, magic!!

Oscar is joining us a Whangamomona - hopefully coing all the way back to Wellington with us.

Johnny G. might be joing us in Auckkland for the trip back down as well.

Any one else wanting to tag along or join in en route - here's our plan so far:

Thursday 19th - Meet at weigh station, Plimmerton, SH 1 7:30 am for 8:00 am start - head to Wanganui, big gravel loop and end up at Whangamomona pub for the night.

Friday 20th - across via Tahora, through Moki Forest to Kotare and west to Ahititi, up the coast to Awakino then up West Coast route to Raglan for overnight. BBQ at my Sister's place.

Saturday 21st - West Coast gravel to Auckland

Sunday 22nd - Kaipara Adventure ride and BBQ to follow.

Monday 23rd - Mosey over to Murapara and over the Ikawhenua Range onto Waikearemoana across to Wairoa, the 60k south to Waikare Hotel for the night.

Tuesday 24th - home via East Coast gravel and private tracks/stations we've got access to.

Sounds like a plan to me :2thumbsup

bl4de
3rd October 2006, 17:39
Glad to see i'm not the only novice. Anyone brining a pillion? I'm bringing my son, so we'll do a training session each, then share the ride.

35tickets
4th October 2006, 09:51
Def thinking about doing it on KLR650. It'll be my first too, plus a good opportunity to look at what else is out there bike wise, and generally to talk bikes as well.

Should be a bloody good weekend as Killswitch Engage play the Studio Auckland on Monday night so was going to Aucks anyhow. Now got 2 excuses!

clint640
4th October 2006, 13:24
Four of us (4Skins, Rog, SBSP and me) leaving Wellington Thursday 19 October for the jaunt North and coming back to arrive Wellington Tuesday 24th. Others coming up on different days apparently.

Have fun ya bastards, If we're not pulling consecutive all-nighters getting my mate's winch comp truck ready for the nationals I might come & join ya for a beer at Whanga on Thurs night & tag along for some of Friday.

However based on previous experience we'll still be wrenching while waiting in line for scrutineering so it's a long shot.

Cheers
Clint

Garry.W
4th October 2006, 13:58
Have fun ya bastards, If we're not pulling consecutive all-nighters getting my mate's winch comp truck ready for the nationals I might come & join ya for a beer at Whanga on Thurs night & tag along for some of Friday.

However based on previous experience we'll still be wrenching while waiting in line for scrutineering so it's a long shot.

Cheers
Clint

Hmmm, ya gotta do what ya gotta do Clint. If we don't see ya, have fun at the Nats :cool:

warewolf
4th October 2006, 18:43
Looks like I'm in now, too.

Doing the Grand Challenge on the 14/15th then in AKL for the intervening week. The plan is to hook up with the Welly boys on Friday night at Raglan.

Just gotta organise tyres now at late notice.

bl4de
4th October 2006, 18:56
How about a meet up before the start??
I'm not suggesting we have to form a band of brothers and hold hands all day but I would appreciate putting a face to a name and we can then at least co-ordinate our lies for later posting....

Anyone???

Sounds like a good idea to me, What direction you coming from?

Crisis management
5th October 2006, 06:31
Sounds like a good idea to me, What direction you coming from?

Just down the road from you....I,m in Hillsborough so will come up the north western m/way.

I am doing the saturday training as well so we could meet at westgate @ 1.30 and ride up from there.

Any other victims? Oops, sorry, participants?

chris
5th October 2006, 12:16
The route is now pretty much finalised and looks good. There will be no tough sections for the first-timers!

If anyone needs an entry form, send me an e-mail.

Chris

bl4de
5th October 2006, 18:41
Just down the road from you....I,m in Hillsborough so will come up the north western m/way.

I am doing the saturday training as well so we could meet at westgate @ 1.30 and ride up from there.

Any other victims? Oops, sorry, participants?

Sounds like a plan. Should'nt be to hard to find each other.

Crisis management
5th October 2006, 19:41
Sounds like a plan. Should'nt be to hard to find each other.

My contact details are : Home 624 6757, mob 0274 800569. Give me a call and we can make sure we know what we're looking for (ratty white DR650 with wobbly rider).

Should be fun, I'm looking forward to it.

Chris,
Is there anything in particular we should be taking? I am planning on drink, play lunch & basic tools (bottle opener etc).. Having never been on an adventure ride, in fact having barely ever been off road intentionaly, I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks Iain

PS. any one else want to meet at Westgate??

Henk
6th October 2006, 21:24
Chris

Now that you're a bit familiar with the route. Will I get the 600 round on Michelin Siracs and the 650 round on the stock trail wings or should I be digging half worn S12s out of the shed?

Oscar
9th October 2006, 09:00

Oscar is joining us a Whangamomona - hopefully coing all the way back to Wellington with us.

Johnny G. might be joing us in Auckkland for the trip back down as well.

Any one else wanting to tag along or join in en route - here's our plan so far:

Thursday 19th - Meet at weigh station, Plimmerton, SH 1 7:30 am for 8:00 am start - head to Wanganui, big gravel loop and end up at Whangamomona pub for the night.

Friday 20th - across via Tahora, through Moki Forest to Kotare and west to Ahititi, up the coast to Awakino then up West Coast route to Raglan for overnight. BBQ at my Sister's place.

Saturday 21st - West Coast gravel to Auckland

Sunday 22nd - Kaipara Adventure ride and BBQ to follow.

Monday 23rd - Mosey over to Murapara and over the Ikawhenua Range onto Waikearemoana across to Wairoa, the 60k south to Waikare Hotel for the night.

Tuesday 24th - home via East Coast gravel and private tracks/stations we've got access to.

Sounds like a plan to me :2thumbsup

I was talking to 4skins about a bail out route for me on Tuesday - Gentle Annie to Waiuru.

chris
9th October 2006, 11:42
Chris

Now that you're a bit familiar with the route. Will I get the 600 round on Michelin Siracs and the 650 round on the stock trail wings or should I be digging half worn S12s out of the shed?

I gather from Vege that he has discussed this with you already!

chris
9th October 2006, 11:44
Chris,
Is there anything in particular we should be taking? I am planning on drink, play lunch & basic tools (bottle opener etc).. Having never been on an adventure ride, in fact having barely ever been off road intentionaly, I am open to all suggestions.
Always bring plenty of water; Camelbak etc. Basic tools are always good to bring, other riders may not always have what you need. Lunch will be provided on the Sunday.

Chris

Garry.W
9th October 2006, 12:50
I was talking to 4skins about a bail out route for me on Tuesday - Gentle Annie to Waiuru.

I thought you were coming right back down to Wellington? Never mind, if you're not then the trip back over gentle Annie is pretty good :2thumbsup See you in Whangamomona then, first round on me :beer:

Cheers Garry.

Big Dave
16th October 2006, 12:22
Basic tools are always good to bring.
Chris

Does that mean you are bringing Todd? :lol:

twi
17th October 2006, 20:47
I'm heading up from the city (Meadowbank) at around 6:30am :gob: on the Sunday morning on my trusty DR350 (touch wood)... I'd be happy to join up with like minded biker so I don't get lost...

PS do I need to fashion me one of those click-clack route roller contraptions?

Cary
17th October 2006, 21:14
do I need to fashion me one of those click-clack route roller contraptions?

Yes i believe you do. + selotape & sissors so i hear.

chris
18th October 2006, 07:31
Yes i believe you do. + selotape & sissors so i hear.
We'll have sellotape and scissors for everyone to use but it won't hurt to bring your own, just in case.

Oscar
18th October 2006, 08:10
We'll have sellotape and scissors for everyone to use but it won't hurt to bring your own, just in case.

I wouldn't trust the likes of Motu and 4skins wid sharp scissors....

Motu
18th October 2006, 08:34
As I'm trailering my bike up to Auckland saturday morning,to save drama I'll crash out at work and leave sunday morning.So if anyone from East or South Auckland wants a guide they can use my forecourt as a meeting point - on Carr Rd next to BP Mt Roskill.I'll probably move out at about 7.00am,so rattle the doors if I'm not awake.

I haven't got a route holder,well I have a very small one that won't take a full roll,and I don't have time to make another one.So I'll either tag along with someone who does....bluff it out with the route sheet tangled up in my pocket....or get lost and make up my own ride (spend the afternoon sulking in the pub)

I've got a new Wolfman tankbag and front number plate bag,I'll spend saturday evening figuring out what to put in them and a few last minute jobs on the bike.So,what's the weather going to be?

Garry.W
18th October 2006, 08:46
One more sleep - and we're on our way :yes:

Weather gods look like they've got their act together for a few days :sunny:

Ah, it's gonna be grand. See you all there :woohoo:

chris
18th October 2006, 08:49
I wouldn't trust the likes of Motu and 4skins wid sharp scissors....
We'll get an adult to assist them.

bl4de
18th October 2006, 17:13
I'm heading up from the city (Meadowbank) at around 6:30am :gob: on the Sunday morning on my trusty DR350 (touch wood)... I'd be happy to join up with like minded biker so I don't get lost...

PS do I need to fashion me one of those click-clack route roller contraptions?

Who's got the plans for making one?

upshift
18th October 2006, 18:09

http://www.adventurerides.co.nz/rsholder.htm

The 0.4 litre Click Clack boxes are best but no longer manufactured. The larger ones can be used, or look for something similar.

Just finished making one last night, took me a few hours, the hardest part was coming up with some way of attaching it to the bike. Mount it on the left with the turning knobs facing left so you are not using your throttle hand to operate it.

Crisis management
18th October 2006, 18:57

Me too.....now!!!!

Chris, you (something unpronounceable) is there any other small, teensy other thing or two I might need???

Off to workshop, wheel bearings & route holder thingy....sacrifice kids lunchbox? Which one don't I like today.

Motu, I am just up the road from your work so will join you for sunday.

bl4de
18th October 2006, 20:00
thanks for that. I'll get busy and put one together.

bl4de
18th October 2006, 20:07
Punctures, Whats the best idea, Spare tubes & Co2? Or is that slime stuff any good

warewolf
20th October 2006, 16:52
In order of use:

2 tyre levers
spare 21" tube (will also fit 18" rear)
gas cartridges

plus skills to use the above

for subsequent punctures: puncture repair kit
for extra inflation: mtb hand pump

bl4de
20th October 2006, 18:23
In order of use:

2 tyre levers
spare 21" tube (will also fit 18" rear)
gas cartridges

plus skills to use the above

for subsequent punctures: puncture repair kit
for extra inflation: mtb hand pump

thanks for the info, see ya there!

Henk
20th October 2006, 18:40
Don't worry about the tyre changing stuff. Run high enough tyre presures and it shouldn't be a problem. You weren't planning on running 12 psi and hammering into big rocks in 4th were you?

warewolf
20th October 2006, 22:32
Run high enough tyre presures and it shouldn't be a problem.Yeah. When you're stuck in that sand or mud you'll never get a flat anywhere else.

bl4de
21st October 2006, 07:32
Don't worry about the tyre changing stuff. Run high enough tyre presures and it shouldn't be a problem. You weren't planning on running 12 psi and hammering into big rocks in 4th were you?

Maybe later in the day!?

Garry.W
25th October 2006, 11:24
Check out http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175929 :yes: