PDA

View Full Version : Near Misses in the last Fortnight

Monorail
2nd October 2006, 18:26
Hi guys,
Just wondering whose had near misses in the past fortnight as i've had a couple.
One I was leaving college, i was going down this road at 50kmph and a big 4x4 pulls out after being parked on the side of the road. I had to swerve onto the other side of the road to avoid being hit, luckily there was no oncoming traffic. And today I was going home from work, going through the car park which has a roundabout. I was about a quarter of the way through when a 55ish woman drives straight through even got rite of way. I was only going 30 at the time, but if i had of been going any faster I would have gone straight into the side of her Corolla. Honked my horn for about 5 seconds and she didn't even look. Bloody Cagers.
So share you stories about near misses so that we can increase our hate for cagers.
P.s. dont get me started on bus drivers

paturoa
2nd October 2006, 18:28
nope :2thumbsup

10chr

sunhuntin
2nd October 2006, 18:31
havent had anything....but im like a rabbit. i jump at every car i see from the corner of my eye. dunno why, or whats made it start for no reason.
im thinking it might be telling to get off the bike for a while! LOL.

98tls
2nd October 2006, 18:32
Mine didnt involve a car....i came down rakaia gorge hard out in the twisty bits and clipped a honda cruiser almost stationary around a tight corner :whistle: could have been bad but both escaped ok...both had a laugh about it over a nervous fag down the road a bit....

Monorail
2nd October 2006, 18:34
good to hear you all came out all rite. Even the smallest accident on a bike can really f**k someone up, or put them off bikes for life:confused:

pritch
2nd October 2006, 18:42
Honked my horn for about 5 seconds and she didn't even look.

Buy yourself an aftermarket horn:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/

I bought a set of FIAMMs very loud but they still sound like bike horns.
Hard to ignore though....

For my next bike I want a set that make a noise like a runaway Mack truck.

Monorail
2nd October 2006, 18:51
Buy yourself an aftermarket horn:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/

I bought a set of FIAMMs very loud but they still sound like bike horns.
Hard to ignore though....

For my next bike I want a set that make a noise like a runaway Mack truck.

I would except i'm getting a new bike soon if my financial situation is good that has an air horn which is really loud. the horn on my current bike is good, about the same as on my mums Primera

DMNTD
2nd October 2006, 18:56
Seems like everytime I ride my bike I have a near miss.
Doesn't concern me too much,just part of riding and in a morbid sort of way it makes me feel more alive

Monorail
2nd October 2006, 19:02
Seems like everytime I ride my bike I have a near miss.
Doesn't concern me too much,just part of riding and in a morbid sort of way it makes me feel more alive

definatley no what you mean. when i ride my bike i always like to get the adrenaline pumping.

Sketchy_Racer
2nd October 2006, 19:17
Yep. Near misses are just the norm for my day to day riding.

I feel like i have setup a motion sensor in my brain and as soon as a car even moves, My brain lets me know. Seems to work well. Touch wood.

The new bike you want is a good one too!! Its faster than my KR150!!!!!! and mines newer!!!!!!

Monorail
2nd October 2006, 19:21
The new bike you want is a good one too!! Its faster than my KR150!!!!!! and mines newer!!!!!!

we'll have to have a way drag one day

Str8 Jacket
2nd October 2006, 19:21

Buggar!... :whistle:

98tls
2nd October 2006, 19:23
Sounds silly but a number of guys seem to agree that after a while you develop a kind of 6th sense and i believe its saved my bacon a few times...who knows maybe maybe not................

Monorail
2nd October 2006, 19:25
Buggar!... :whistle:

i'm looking forward to that kr if everything goes wel for both parties

Zed
2nd October 2006, 19:28
Ha funny you should mention near misses in the past two weeks, had a BIG moment last Thursday that i was gonna post about but never got around to it.

It was one of those near misses where once you miss you can feel your heartbeat pumping the blood to your head...I had been on a 2 hour ride alone up SH16 way and was coming up the main road here in Birkenhead, the lights had turned orange up ahead (bout 30m away) and i promptly sat up to stretch & straighten my jacket, which involves taking my hands off the bars for a few seconds, when i do this i use the rear brake to slow down if necessary. Well i had completely misjudged the scenario and the ute in front of me stopped more suddenly than anticipated and so i immediately applied the brake, but it was the rear brake and i locked the rear up and the back slid about 1 metre to the left as the bike quickly appraoched the ute's bumper! Within that nanosecond i thought "this will be close?" and in the next nanosecond i had my hands on the bars, foot off the rear brake and was applying the front brake steering the bike kinda sideways to the right of the van...in the famous words of Maxwell Smart "I missed it byTHAAAAT much!" Was far too close for comfort, i nearly pulled over afterwards to catch my breath and meditate on the moment. :eek5:

Monorail
2nd October 2006, 19:31
Ha funny you should mention near misses in the past two weeks, had a BIG moment last Thursday that i was gonna post about but never got around to it.

It was one of those near misses where once you miss you can feel your heartbeat pumping the blood to your head...I had been on a 2 hour ride alone up SH16 way and was coming up the main road here in Birkenhead, the lights had turned orange up ahead (bout 30m away) and i promptly sat up to stretch & straighten my jacket, which involves taking my hands off the bars for a few seconds, when i do this i use the rear brake to slow down if necessary. Well i had completely misjudged the scenario and the ute in front of me stopped more suddenly than anticipated and so i immediately applied the brake, but it was the rear brake and i locked the rear up and the back slid about 1 metre to the left as the bike quickly appraoched the ute's bumper! Within that nanosecond i thought "this will be close?" and in the next nanosecond i had my hands on the bars, foot off the rear brake and was applying the front brake steering the bike kinda sideways to the right of the van...in the FAMOUS words of Maxwell Smart "I missed it byTHAAAAT much!" Was far too close for comfort, i nearly pulled over afterwards to catch my breath and meditate on the moment. :eek5:

shit. bloddy glad your ok

Str8 Jacket
2nd October 2006, 19:32
i'm looking forward to that kr if everything goes wel for both parties

Yeah, its a really good little bike. I was stoked with how it went on Sunday and some of the guy's were a little surprised I think, lol!
This thread kind of makes me laugh knowing that you'll prob have my bike in a few months after all the near misses I have had on it. But the air horns are great, you'll wonder how you ever did without them sometimes!...

Zed
2nd October 2006, 19:37
shit. bloddy glad your okCheers, got caught with my pants down, if ya know what i mean. I've counted my blessings that's fer sure!

No other near misses for months and months, and i've done 3 track days in the last 3 months too.

bobsmith
2nd October 2006, 20:15
No... Not me, I did have an accident instead though.,.. would have preferred a near miss instead..

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=767446#post767446

Street Gerbil
2nd October 2006, 20:27
Last week. Ellerslie Panmure onramp. A nice lady in a people mover filled with kids jumped from inner to the outer lane and onto the ramp and all while indicating right turn. Business as usual.

marty
2nd October 2006, 20:37
..both had a laugh about it over a nervous fag down the road a bit....

was he still nervous after that?

Monorail
2nd October 2006, 21:16
I find it really amazing about how many people have or nearly have accidents on such a frequent occasion from such a small minority (KB). It really is worrying. Maybe we should consider putting sirens and flashing lights on our bikes, the police always get noticed even when there not on

Zed
2nd October 2006, 21:21
I find it really amazing about how many people have or nearly have accidents on such a frequent occasion from such a small minority (KB). It really is worrying.I think the reality is that the frequency of bike accidents/near misses has not changed much over the years, it's just that KB has become a news media where they're all reported! :yes:

Monorail
2nd October 2006, 21:26
I think the reality is that the frequency of bike accidents/near misses has not changed much over the years, it's just that KB has become a news media where they're all reported! :yes:

yea, suppose that makes more sense, but still, whats the pop of kiwibiker 1000-1500 or something. We have about two accidents reported a week, not to mention near misses. In two years all of us should come off. Thats worrying

paturoa
2nd October 2006, 21:28
yea, suppose that makes more sense, but still, whats the pop of kiwibiker 1000-1500 or something. We have about two accidents reported a week, not to mention near misses. In two years all of us should come off. Thats worrying

umm 2 x 52 = 104

Zed
2nd October 2006, 21:29
yea, suppose that makes more sense, but still, whats the pop of kiwibiker 1000-1500 or something. We have about two accidents reported a week, not to mention near misses. In two years all of us should come off. Thats worryingHow long have you been riding for, and how many kms do you ride each year? An experienced biker has learned that the risks are higher on two wheels and that near misses are a fact of motorcycle life!

Monorail
2nd October 2006, 21:34
umm 2 x 52 = 104
yea.. i was thinking days instead of weeks, cut me some slack, im still a child

How long have you been riding for, and how many kms do you ride each year? An experienced biker has learned that the risks are higher on two wheels and that near misses are a fact of motorcycle life!
road legal for a couple of months, and as much as i can afford

Ixion
2nd October 2006, 21:48
I find it really amazing about how many people have or nearly have accidents on such a frequent occasion from such a small minority (KB). It really is worrying. Maybe we should consider putting sirens and flashing lights on our bikes, the police always get noticed even when there not on

Some of you do. Others don't . The choice as to which category you fit into is yours to make.