PDA

View Full Version : My Oily Problem

Japhy Rider
2nd October 2006, 21:51
Hi there.

I'm sorry but I have sabotaged this thread because I have no idea how to start a new one. This site is a bit un-user friendly that way. I have tried for half an hour to start a new thread but asking the FAQ How To Start New Thread, gives no useful options...

Anyhoo. My oily problem. I have a GB 400 TT and it has what I believe to be too much oil in it. When I checked it a couple of weeks ago, the oil spat out as I took the cap off (you have to check oil with warm engine). I subsequently checked the oil again last week and it is still very full.

I pulled some manner of plug at the bottom of the bike and a little oil dribbled out. I took the cap off the oil sump thinking this might increase pressure but that made no difference.

If anyone could help me with what has happened and what I could do as a remedy that would be much appreciated. Someone with a bike like mine or who as had a bike like mine, or a general bike guru who simply knows their suicide machines, would be of most benefit.

Thanks and sorry once again...

:doh:

Japhy

Ixion
2nd October 2006, 22:00
Goodness, you do choose to live dangerously don't you.

As to the oil thing, do not the GBnnns have a dry sump? (I may be wrong here, I'm not familiar with the machine) . In which case the oil reservoir should always be fairly full.

Do you actually have a problem? When you say the oil "spat out" was the motor running? If so that sounds like it might be normal, the return oil feed will spit and spatter a bit.

EDIT: BTW, to start a thread IN THE APPROPRIATE FORUM (so that we poor mods don't have to move them and can devote our time to harrassing WINJA) , go to the appropriate forum (Home -> Forums-> click appropriate forum, if you can't work out a quicker way). Then click the New Thread button at the top left Cos I'm a soft touch I don't infract newbies, but be warned that other mods are cruel and evil and will infract you (painful it is, I'm told, being infracted, even after you stop twitching)

Japhy Rider
2nd October 2006, 22:08
Hi Ixion. Thanks for your reply.

When checking oil on GB you run engine for 2 mins, off for 2mins, then looksee.

(I'm simply following manual instructions there btw)

The engine was not running when the oil came out. When I say overfilled I mean the oil comes way up the dipstick and I can see it in the sump as in near the entrance.

Having said all this it's still running OK. At the moment.

Any other takers? Suggestions?

And how the hellfire do you start a new thread??
:spanking:

Japhy Rider
2nd October 2006, 22:09
Ahhhh... thank you... regarding Posting New Thread.