PDA

View Full Version : Tyre valve letting out air

Dreamer
3rd October 2006, 12:28
I'm watching my tyre pressures closely now after binning it in August, and a couple of times when I've removed the cap off the rear tyre valve I can hear and feel air escaping.
If I wiggle the pin inside the valve a little it seems to close properly. But the next time I take the cap off it's hissing again.

I should check the cap is clean, should I be looking for dirt inside the valve? Any other ideas? Are they easy and cheap to simply replace?

frogfeaturesFZR
3rd October 2006, 12:31
Just replace the tyre valve, they cost next to nothing. Most tyre guages have a valve 'screwdriver' as part of the package.

pritch
3rd October 2006, 18:53
That air is designed for car tyres (that's why it's free) It's not suitable for motorcycle tyres and will often escape out of the valves and could lead to even more severe problems later.

So did you come up with that after your pre-dinner drinks or the pre-pre-dinner drinks? :drinkup:

Have some bling for that anyway

paturoa
3rd October 2006, 19:43
the valves screw in and out, it may be farked or just need screwing in, go to a tyre place and get the person to screw it in or replace it, will take 30 seconds.

Ixion
3rd October 2006, 20:58
So did you come up with that after your pre-dinner drinks or the pre-pre-dinner drinks? :drinkup:

Have some bling for that anyway

Mr Motu is taking the piss. There is no such thing as motorcycle air. But, what is not realised is that the tyre valves for motorcycle tyres are subtley different to those for car tyres. Use of a standard servo tyre pumper upper fitment will damage the motorcycle tyre valve stems. You need to get a special motorcycle tyre cycle thread adaptor from a bike shop.Or pump your tyres up with a cycle pump.

FROSTY
6th October 2006, 07:25
Before I got my compressor n stuff I used to carry a little L shaped adaptor in my pocket for bike tyre inflation to avoid the problem Ixion mentioned
Yea and if I were you--go to ya local tyre place and just get the tyre valve core replaced