PDA

View Full Version : Argh - why am I such a girl?

Quartida
3rd October 2006, 17:01
I couldn't start my bike last week...didn't really know why. So aff-man came over and lo and behold, it started first time. But now, this afternoon, I tried to start it. And it just wouldn't go.

I wish I knew how to fix bikes and make them work, but I don't. And I hate having to be reliant on other people to help me start them. WHY is this happening?

And i can't bump start the bike because I'm not confident enough to do so.

Sorry guys, it's just been a crap day and I need to rant. I'm sure I'll manage to get it started eventually. *sigh*

Colapop
3rd October 2006, 17:12
Be happy you're girl. You have talents and attributes that men don't.

As far as the bike goes, you'll learn stuff and it won't be an issue... To Bump start it, just find a little slope and start coasting in first gear with the clutch pulled in (make sure the key is on). Once you get going just release the clutch and the bike should start (hopefully). It's just like riding your bike only it's not going in the initial stages...

Waylander
3rd October 2006, 17:22
Bump starting in second works better. Also you have to hit the start button right as you dump the clutch. Otherwise it'll just lock the back wheel. Don't use any throttle until it right as it starts and pull the clutch in at the same time.

(had to do this three times on the Vmax Saturday...)

Colapop
3rd October 2006, 17:26
You're right second is better - but it does depend on the bike too.

Finn
3rd October 2006, 17:28
I reckon your problem is with aff-man. He's tampering with your bike just so he can come over to see you.

MVnut
3rd October 2006, 18:32
If you use 2nd gear (and you're rolling downhill), stand up on the pegs & when you release the clutch sit down on the seat...stops the back tyre from skidding so much..........vroom..........piece of cake:2thumbsup ciao. BTW did aff-man bumpstart your bike ?? or use the key?:cool:

Waylander
3rd October 2006, 18:46
oh and before you try bump starting it, have you checked to make sure the kill switch is not engaged?

Meekey_Mouse
3rd October 2006, 19:10
Enjoy being a chick... it does have it's upsides :D Hope you get the bike problem sorted :)

Jaz

andrea
3rd October 2006, 19:43
oh man thats why i was looking for a mentor to teach me mechanical stuff bout bikes n shit. after the first two<_< pffft i finally found one that is pretty cool. i know jack shit bout bikes but um learning slowly, ive worked on my ex's car a lil bit, but after his bad moods i left it to him so i didnt learn anything further from him.

andrea
3rd October 2006, 19:45
so im waiting till my friends cusin is free from rugby so he can teach me how to do my own car,

andrea
3rd October 2006, 19:46
i hope<_< hmm

adiddy
3rd October 2006, 19:51
hey ive ridden since i was 5 , but still dont understand the mechanic side and im almost 19?! :(
so yerr not a bad thing - gud things take time , enjoy it noithing comes natural

Swoop
3rd October 2006, 20:52
Also you have to hit the start button right as you dump the clutch.

Eh?
The VFR dosen't need any "start switch" being pressed when she needs a "bump"...

Fuel on,
Kill "Run"
Ignition on,
Clutch in,
1st gear selected,
Preflight complete, cleared for take off...

Not that I have done it many times...:whistle:

limbimtimwim
3rd October 2006, 20:59
Investigate motorcycle maintainance night classes ("Community education") at a nearby secondary school. I know at least one down here does.

Then you could teach the others (And show up the lads) and be more confident after the course.

And see less of Aff-man.

Mr. Peanut
3rd October 2006, 21:35
Just because you cant get your bike started, there's no reason to take the piss out of girls :nono:

Colapop
4th October 2006, 06:38
Investigate motorcycle maintainance night classes ("Community education") at a nearby secondary school. I know at least one down here does.

Then you could teach the others (And show up the lads) and be more confident after the course.

And see less of Aff-man.
Which one? (I don't wanna hafta look for it)

limbimtimwim
4th October 2006, 08:34
Which one? (I don't wanna hafta look for it)Wellington High School was/is running an evening class.

inlinefour
4th October 2006, 08:48
I couldn't start my bike last week...didn't really know why. So aff-man came over and lo and behold, it started first time. But now, this afternoon, I tried to start it. And it just wouldn't go.

I wish I knew how to fix bikes and make them work, but I don't. And I hate having to be reliant on other people to help me start them. WHY is this happening?

Sorry guys, it's just been a crap day and I need to rant. I'm sure I'll manage to get it started eventually. *sigh*

However without actually showing you what was wrong or needed sotring it would be kinda pointless. There are mentors up in AKL, no? Getting someone to sow you the basics could be beneficial. A bit of know how an can do will go along way and its got nothing to do with being a female.

Smorg
4th October 2006, 11:27
if only i had a vagina

Panther
4th October 2006, 13:24
Hey
I've had problems with starting the zxr before, I know how damn frustrating it can be!
Maybe get some new plugs, it made a difference on my bike.
Also my bike was running lean so a tune up of the carbys goes a long way.
You might also want to adjust your idle, maybe it's really low?
I've only done a real push start on a flat road once before, and it wasn't as hard as Ii thought it would be, just a bit scary to control the bike and get on without dropping her :P
Have a play with what combination of the throttle/choke/how long you hold down the start button for, to see what works, until you can get some one to tell you if you have a fueling problem or not.
But it is worth spending the money, as my bike now starts first time everytime, no more stress!
I find the best way to learn is just to ask questions about how things work or why things happen, guys like being asked!
Good luck with your bike and keep us posted on what the problem was when you get it sorted!

Fatjim
4th October 2006, 14:02
if only i had a vagina

Is that the 250 or the 500cc model?

Str8 Jacket
4th October 2006, 14:05
Is that the 250 or the 500cc model?

"two stroker" or four? :D

KATWYN
4th October 2006, 14:54
Hey
I've had problems with starting the zxr before, I know how damn frustrating it can be!
Maybe get some new plugs, it made a difference on my bike.
Also my bike was running lean so a tune up of the carbys goes a long way.
You might also want to adjust your idle, maybe it's really low?
I've only done a real push start on a flat road once before, and it wasn't as hard as Ii thought it would be, just a bit scary to control the bike and get on without dropping her :P
Have a play with what combination of the throttle/choke/how long you hold down the start button for, to see what works, until you can get some one to tell you if you have a fueling problem or not.
But it is worth spending the money, as my bike now starts first time everytime, no more stress!
I find the best way to learn is just to ask questions about how things work or why things happen, guys like being asked!
Good luck with your bike and keep us posted on what the problem was when you get it sorted!

Awesome....now that is one chick whos done some mechanical homework. Good on ya Sallo.

I know I get pretty complacent with my bike because my hubby maintains it (and his) .....I really must learn for myself as it has always been a "new" bike but its getting into that 5 years and more age bracket where it might start needing extra attention.

LilSel
4th October 2006, 14:56
Argh - why am I such a boi? :wari:

Waylander
4th October 2006, 17:09
Eh?
The VFR dosen't need any "start switch" being pressed when she needs a "bump"...

Fuel on,
Kill "Run"
Ignition on,
Clutch in,
1st gear selected,
Preflight complete, cleared for take off...

Not that I have done it many times...:whistle:
Actually I've never tried it without the start button so no idea if it works without it or not.

I know it didn't work in my truck unless I turned the ignition like I was starting it normally.

Swoop
4th October 2006, 17:14
Actually I've never tried it without the start button so no idea if it works without it or not.

I know it didn't work in my truck unless I turned the ignition like I was starting it normally.

A TRUCK????

.................................................. ........................:spanking:

Waylander
4th October 2006, 17:20
Big trucks to, not these little toy holden thing you people like driving around in.

Had me an '03 Chevy Silverado 1500. And before that was a '95 Z71 Stepside.

Swoop
4th October 2006, 17:34
Big trucks to, not these little toy holden thing you people like driving around in.

Had me an '03 Chevy Silverado 1500. And before that was a '95 Z71 Stepside.
What the fuck does that have to do with a motorbike???

Waylander
4th October 2006, 17:48
Used to put the bike in the back when taking it to the shop and such.

But to better answere your question there was a post that was deleted saying how I am an american and love trucks so I took the opportunity to make a dig at those silly mini trucks you kiwi's and Aussie's love to drive.

Nicksta
4th October 2006, 21:13
hey Quartida, long time no hear,........
sometimes the bikes just dont want to do what we want them too... i always forget the side stand when on someone elses bike and they are watching... so it stalls when i want to go into first and go.... and they usually laugh and point it out.....
we're chicks... machines sometimes dont like us... maybe cos guys treat them like chicks too.....
let me know if you want to go for a ride... or are stuck.. i'm back out west now too....

Smorg
4th October 2006, 22:28
"two stroker" or four? :D

fours usually a bit to much isnt it? I always get told off when i try and do that shit

dawnrazor
5th October 2006, 06:34
fours usually a bit to much isnt it? I always get told off when i try and do that shit

As the saying goes "anything more then two strokes is a wank" or words to that effect...hmmmm I think it might actually be shakes not strokes, but this is better.

So I have a four stroke twin please....LOL or a triumph a 4 stroke triple..ha ha

Quartida
5th October 2006, 07:51
Thanks guys...

The other day was just stressful as aff-man and I have parted ways. :( Thus the reason I haven't asked him to come and start it this time. I'm hoping eventually that we'll get to the point where he can be my mentor and mechanical trainer again but at the moment it's - obviously - a hard situation to negotiate.

Thanks for the comments though. I thought bump starting would be pretty hard (and i am a bit nervous about co-ordinating all that stuff and not dropping it) but you have all made me a lot more confident. I think the problem is that, despite owning the bike for ages, I've only really ridden it out of my street once or twice - it's finding the time to go riding that's hard. And then, when it wouldn't start the other day, and with no aff-man, I kinda had that "am I EVER going to be able to ride this bloody thing?" moment.

I'm going to try and start it again tonight...I've been too busy to have a real go. Will report back.

P.S. - Thanks for the birthday message Nic. I was at Outward Bound so I didn't get it until recently!

Fatjim
5th October 2006, 08:04
hey chook if you're not riding it that much then a battery charger/tender might be a go.

Dafe
5th October 2006, 08:17
hey chook if you're not riding it that much then a battery charger/tender might be a go.

Chook?????

bwahahahahahahaha:rofl:

You're a classy fulla FJ! :Pokey:

Quartida
5th October 2006, 14:48
I just tried to bump start it.

I couldn't.

(OK, our street is only a slight incline, but still).

And now, when I press the starter, it doesn't turn over. Even once. When, only 30 mins ago, it sounded like it was just about to start.

It sounds like the battery. But the battery is relatively new.
It's just an old, silly bike.

I'm having another, "Why do I even have a bike? moment. Sucks.

Perhaps this weekend I shall try and take up the nice offers I have had from some people to help me out (thanks guys). Until then, Morty will just have to stay in the gargre.

NB: I can't find a community education place in Auckland that does a bike maintenance course - does anyone know of one?

mstriumph
5th October 2006, 15:26
I couldn't start my bike last week...didn't really know why. ......... *sigh*

mebbe the bike just doesn't WANT to go? or felt like showing you up?

i had a triumph bonne like that - she'd start in the garage or driveway when no-one else was about, first time EVERY time

.... but get her at a fillingstation [or anywhere ELSE in front of witnesses] and you could kick her until you were blue in the face .......

my record was 20 minutes

she's sold now - only room for ONE contrary, obstinate female in our household :innocent:

Quartida
5th October 2006, 15:27
Haha...except Morty is the opposite. I can't start him....I can try and try but no go. Aff-man walks over, touches the start button and off she roars.

It's rather embarrassing, really.

Waylander
5th October 2006, 21:21
Like I said, Have you checked the kill switch? lol.

Ixion
5th October 2006, 21:25
I have the answer. Well, the reason anyway. Monty is gay. He only gets aroused by a man's touch. A woman just can't turn him on.

oldguy
5th October 2006, 21:28

Sorry guys, it's just been a crap day and I need to rant. I'm sure I'll manage to get it started eventually. *sigh*Buy a HONDA, put morty out with the inorganic collection. Ive got a similer prob. with my DR F**ken suzuki

Colapop
5th October 2006, 21:28
Monty owns a Nuclear Power Plant that Homer works in....

MORTY is Quartida's bike

Ixion
5th October 2006, 21:32
Ah, so they're prolly BOTH gay.

Colapop
5th October 2006, 21:36
No, Waylon Smithers is the gay one...

Ixion
5th October 2006, 21:37
Whose bike is that?

Colapop
5th October 2006, 21:38
Placidfemme's...

Ixion
5th October 2006, 21:41
Do you detect that this thread is going downhill fast?

On a serious note Ms Quartida, I think you are not far from me. If you would like me to pop over sometime and see if I can coax the beast into life (I have a portable battery booster gadget) flick me a PM.

Colapop
5th October 2006, 21:48
Isn't Mav sniffing round that tree already...?

Quartida
6th October 2006, 01:02
Oi you. ;)

It seems that Morty IS gay, Ixion. I can't get him to work, but aff-man and Mav can.
However, tonight Mav taught me how to give him the man's touch, and he seems to be working quite well now. We even went for a ride (me on Morty and Mav on the Bandit, before THAT joke gets taken) and it was most fun!

Big props to Mav too - thanks so much for your help (and our chat). You're a top guy. :)

That said, thanks for the offer, Ixion. I may take you up on it some day. (Knowing Morty's temperament, probably some time soon.) It's nice to know that you're all there to help me when I need it :hug:

P.S. Yes, Waylander, I checked the kill switch. I may be a girl, but I am not that much of a girl.:bleh:

Paul in NZ
6th October 2006, 08:04
It's not a gender thing - so you can stop that right now before you put back wimmins lib 100 years and bring Germaine Greer down upon us (a truely terrifing prospect).

Its an experience / confidence thing. It's a machine, it holds no malice and if it behaves erratically, it has a fault which can be fixed or ridden around. Stress less, it's all about knowledge and you are learning a little more every time. You learnt the biggest lesson already - if you don't know, ask. Some people never learn that so well done you!!

Str8 Jacket
6th October 2006, 08:09
It's not a gender thing - so you can stop that right now before you put back wimmins lib 100 years and bring Germaine Greer down upon us (a truely terrifing prospect).

Woohoo, go Paul! He's right though.... Sometime last year on a Thursday night ride I was coming back up the motorway only to come across 3 male KBers sitting on the side of the road trying to get one of the guys bikes going again. They were having a few issues and couldnt figure out why it had stopped. I pulled up and after a few questions I told them to chuck the bike onto reserve... Viola! The bike started...... Alright so they probably wouldve figured it out eventually but at the end of the day its a knowledge thing not a gender thing. And then again sometimes you just make a lucky guess, lol!

Ixion
6th October 2006, 08:41
,, It's a machine, it holds no malice ,,

You have obviously never tangled with an H1 Kawasaki!The very embodiment of malice.

Paul in NZ
6th October 2006, 09:46
You have obviously never tangled with an H1 Kawasaki!The very embodiment of malice.

yes I have - a drum braked one as well and it was easier to ride than my rigid framed 'special'. Well once you learnt not to whack open the throttle willy nilly exiting bends. Keep a close eye on the tach and away you go.

The one my mate had was not a bad bike in the end. Better tyres and rear shocks solved most of the vices IMHO. Again, just an engineering problem.

;)