PDA

View Full Version : New FXR fairings

Tints
5th October 2006, 13:34
i'm going to be possibly making some moulds of my FXR fairings because a guy took me out and i am fixing up the bike (i have the stuff to make fiberglass moulds and would rather not pay hundreds of dollars for new fairings:buggerd: )

would anyone out there by interested in new fiberglass of carbon fairings? it is kind of overkill for a bike like an FXR but if i am making the moulds...
PM me if you might be interested or post here.

placidfemme
5th October 2006, 13:46
i'm going to be possibly making some moulds of my FXR fairings because a guy took me out and i am fixing up the bike (i have the stuff to make fiberglass moulds and would rather not pay hundreds of dollars for new fairings:buggerd: )

would anyone out there by interested in new fiberglass of carbon fairings? it is kind of overkill for a bike like an FXR but if i am making the moulds...

Great idea mate... you might wanna do yourself a set first just to tst the price range and quality then post pics of your work :)

If they are shit hot you may even be able to sell the mould to Just Fairings in Hamilton for some extra dosh :)

Animal
5th October 2006, 15:33

G'day Tints,

I've read your profile to see what you're about and if for no other reason than building up experience - do it. Then do it again, and again! You clearly have the necessary intelligence and enthusiasm to make this work, so yes, get into it. I have a number of former aviation industry colleagues who are experts in the field of composite structures and I'm more than happy to introduce them to you.

Regarding the FXR... no, it's not overkill, it's just a beginning. Make a few sets, then borrow some different fairings and make more moulds. Then do it again. Several times. Your next few projects could well be a full set of ZXR250 or CBR250 fairing and tailpiece sets. There are hundreds of these bikes in NZ, and being L-Plate items they spend a lot of time being repaired after sliding down the tar seal. Ask placidfemme... she'll tell you!

Keep hard at it and you could soon be making replacement kits for bikes that get binned more than most (any L-Plate bikes and GSXRs are good examples, but certainly not exclusive). When you've refined your skills beyond producing perfect OEM replacements, you could venture into your own range of custom fairings and stuff. And don't knock the FXRs - they're good wee bikes.

From my personal point of view, you could pay off your entire degree just on making replacement 250 parts! So, let me know if I can be of any help to you on the design side, as it's what I do.

Good luck,

CADanimal

imdying
5th October 2006, 20:09
Get in touch with Sprocket, he's making carbon fibre ones for his FXR.

degrom
5th October 2006, 21:13
From my personal point of view, you could pay off your entire degree just on making replacement 250 parts! So, let me know if I can be of any help to you on the design side, as it's what I do.

Good luck,

CADanimal

Must agree with CADanimal...

Every biker needs a 250- to start out with. If 5% of every 250 has your part on , you will defenitally be able to ride what ever bike you want...

How does "Custom Tints" product range sound?

Go for it!!!:2thumbsup

andrea
6th October 2006, 20:14
OH MAN THAT SOUNDS KEWLLLL!!!! hmm so it i stuff my farings i could come to you, mates rates hahahahalol :laugh: Jokes
lots of good contacts here aye bud:niceone:

Tim 39
25th October 2006, 18:11
I'm sure some of the bucket racers out there who race FXR's would be keen

sprocket
12th December 2006, 18:17
Get in touch with Sprocket, he's making carbon fibre ones for his FXR.

Correction....... made them, well the first one anyway looks minta just gotta cut and polish it up:yes:

BOSTON HARLEY
3rd June 2010, 01:40
i'm going to be possibly making some moulds of my fxr fairings because a guy took me out and i am fixing up the bike (i have the stuff to make fiberglass moulds and would rather not pay hundreds of dollars for new fairings:buggerd: )

would anyone out there by interested in new fiberglass of carbon fairings? It is kind of overkill for a bike like an fxr but if i am making the moulds...
Pm me if you might be interested or post here.

i would like one

BOSTON HARLEY
3rd June 2010, 01:42
Does anyone still use this site? I would love to have a fiberglass, or any other type of xrp, fxrd, fxrt fairing.

Buddha#81
3rd June 2010, 12:26
Does anyone still use this site? I would love to have a fiberglass, or any other type of xrp, fxrd, fxrt fairing.

Hey BH, the FXR discussed here is a Suzuki 150cc comuter, not a Harley.