PDA

View Full Version : Newbie adventure ride - Wellywood

Bartman10
6th October 2006, 21:26
Fraggle and I are picking up the new DR650s next week....

We're keen to try a bit of a gravel road/dirt road ride somewhere for a night or two in the Wairarapa after Labour weekend.

We're not very experienced dirt bikers... I did a bit in my younger days but that was about 10-15 years ago.

1, anyone want to join us?

2, anyone got any route suggestions for a ride to a nice camping spot, either in the hills or around the Wairarapa coast?

I'll do some more research on the route too and we cab sort the details later, but it will probably be first or second weekend in November :2thumbsup

Cheers

Wasp
6th October 2006, 21:45
white rock is good, i did it on a vtz250 (my old road bike).

its about 20-30 kms of coarse gravel road out to the beach where you can camp.

Garry.W
9th October 2006, 12:57
Fraggle and I are picking up the new DR650s next week....

We're keen to try a bit of a gravel road/dirt road ride somewhere for a night or two in the Wairarapa after Labour weekend.

We're not very experienced dirt bikers... I did a bit in my younger days but that was about 10-15 years ago.

1, anyone want to join us?

2, anyone got any route suggestions for a ride to a nice camping spot, either in the hills or around the Wairarapa coast?

I'll do some more research on the route too and we cab sort the details later, but it will probably be first or second weekend in November :2thumbsup

Cheers

Sure I could find a couple people who would be keen to join you, there's plenty of good gravel and forestry roads out on the Wairarapa Coast, with more than enough unsealed stuff from Martinborough up to Riversdale, and further on to Castlepoint if you're keen. Pretty much camp where you want really. Get in touch when you sort out a particular weekend. Garry.

Bartman10
18th October 2006, 15:36
OK here's the plan... :yes:

11-12 November.

Meet up at Rimutex (Caltex Rimutaka's) at 2 pm on Saturday the 11th of November (give me time to do some chores around the house), cruise over to Martinborough and through to Hinakura and on to Te Wharau Forrest. :rockon:

Have a look around and a cup of tea. Then cruise down East Coast Road 'till we get to Glenburn road. Follow that for a bit and camp some where along there beach. :Punk:

Next day keep following the road 'till we get to Glendhu. Follow the road out to Tora and over to white rock and cruise back to Martinborough. If we've got time we'll check out some of the forest area at Aorangi forest park.

There's likely to be a mix of tarmac, gravel, beach and forest roads. :rockon:

I don't really know what the area is like because I've never been out there, but hey, it's an adventure ride! There's plenty of roads that lead back to martinborough along the way so we can always shorten or extend the route as we see fit. Might even end up going right round Cape Palliser road.

Bring a tent, cooker and sleeping bag and something to eat. :sick:

See here for location guide.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=10&ll=-41.332482,175.742798&spn=0.69812,0.917358&om=1

You're welcome to join us for both or only one day if you want.

So far it's me, fraggle and a couple of DR650's. We've been riding sport bikes up till now so it should be interesting...

All this doesn't depend on the weather. We'll go regardless if it's sunshine rain or hail. Bad weather usually makes for a better story (if you survive...!) :sunny:

One last thing... I'm big on personal responsibility. I'll carry a first aid kit and some tools etc, but you've got to make sure you've got enough stuff to survive including puncture repair. :done:

Zukin
18th October 2006, 18:56
Hey there

Sounds like a great ride?
However were you aware that most of the roads on the coast that are shown on that map are not actually roads?
They are private property?
You will need to get persmission from Glenburn Station to go through, same at Glenhu and Tora.
The trip is good though if you can get permission.
They are normally pretty good though.

Cheers

Bartman10
18th October 2006, 21:38
Cheers for that. I'll try to figure out who I need to contact. Have you got any ph numbers?

Bartman

Zukin
18th October 2006, 21:59
PM Sent

Lots of Bling expected :D

Bartman10
2nd November 2006, 19:02
I'm gonna have to postpone this one for a couple of weeks.

Things have been a bit busy at work at now I've come down with the 'flu. I also didn't realise all this was private land at first so I'll need to work on some of the land owners a bit more. I'll put it off 'til after the hawkes bay adventure ride.

Sorry to who ever was looking forward to this. We'll try to make it dec 9 - 10.

Cheers.

merv
2nd November 2006, 19:10
Hi I could be interested, but if the weather is right this year I probably should take the VFR on the Coast to Coast again on 9th because I missed it last year.

Always too many choices, not enough time. Also I'm in Aus a couple of weeks this month so I don't have many free weekends before Xmas.

Maybe if you keep letting us know what you are doing I could do one day on 10th and catch up with you somewhere adding some oldbie to the newbie ride.

upshift
2nd November 2006, 22:03
Could be interested in this too, but spare weekends before christmas are gettin' few and far between. I'm a bit of an oldbie newbie I suppose and been doing the gravel and off road stuff for 6 months now.

Bartman10
24th November 2006, 12:51
OK kids. Change of plan... The original route involved a bit too much private land.

See attachment approximation of the new route. We'll be exploring forestry and other roads as we go along.

Meet up at Caltex Rimutaka at 10 am on Saturday 9th December. We'll be camping somewhere along the way and try to get back to wellington at about 4pm Sunday I guess.

Bring a tent and food for lunch, tea, breakfast etc... Prolly camp near the beach somewhere...

We might need to escape to HW2 for gas or find somewhere else with a gas pump...

If I sound disorganised, it's because I am! Keep you posted for more.

Cheers.

Bartman10
24th November 2006, 12:58
Oh, and it's meant to be Stronvar. We'll be doing the figure 8 going north on the west side and coming down the east. There are quite a few tracks off the main road in places.

Might modify the route as we go... If anyone has any more suggestions that'd be great.

There'll be mix of gravel and seal.

Cheers.

Zukin
24th November 2006, 17:43
Sounds good
Do you have a GPS?

Cheers Scott

merv
24th November 2006, 18:54
If the weather is good I'll probably do the Coast to Coast as I said above on Sat 9th on the VFR which I guess you realise ends up at Akitio so may be see you there. Otherwise I perhaps could steal Mrs merv's DR and race over and catch up with you on Sunday wherever you might be if you had an idea where you might camp.

Zukin
24th November 2006, 18:57
There was another topic on here about doing the Makairo Track, but that went quiet, so maybe this is a good opportunity?

Cheers Scott

Bartman10
25th November 2006, 17:54
Sounds good
Do you have a GPS?

Cheers Scott

No GPS yet. It's on the 'to buy' list!

I'll get some better maps though. Be great if you could come along.

Fraggle and I went up to Sutherlands Hut this morning. Few mildly challanging places, but great fun!

See here.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=-41.436272,175.331991&spn=0.002501,0.004978&t=k&om=1

See ya's on the 9th then...

merv
25th November 2006, 18:31
Tell me more about Sutherlands hut, which end did you go in and did you ride right through?

Zukin
25th November 2006, 21:59
No GPS yet. It's on the 'to buy' list!

I'll get some better maps though. Be great if you could come along.

I thought on the off chance that you might of had one, then I could of sent you some waypoints :)

Cheers Scott

Bartman10
26th November 2006, 10:18
Tell me more about Sutherlands hut, which end did you go in and did you ride right through?

Hey Merv.

The we went in to Sutherlands from the north-eastern end. Headed up on friday night after work and camped at the place called friday camp (surpise!) There are some nice camping areas up there.

I've attached the Google Earth location files. Use the order at the start of the file name for route approx. Download google earth from www.earth.google.com Requires broadband internet.

We just went for a look really. It's possible to ride right through, but we only went as far as Sutherlands and turned back, as we still had some stuff to do at home and the track was getting a little more difficult... The full track is about 26 km.

I'd like to do go right through soon, so if you are keen let me know and we'll head up. It'll be a long ride to do in a day from wellington though. Camping or staying at the hut would be the best option. Especially if you wanted to go off the beaten path a bit to have a look around.

Sutherlands hut is only about 6 km from the camp and it took us a about an hour. It'd probably be a lot quicker if it was only you and I though Merv, as Fraggle was struggling a bit in places although she got much faster towards the end.

You won't get a 4x4 vehicle down here unless you have a key to the gate. According to the sign, motorcycles are tolerated though and there is a gap around the edge of the gate for us! How nice.

In theory you're ment to tell the ranger if you're going down there, but we didn't see anyone else.

If it's been raining I would stay away from here. There are at least 6 river crossings on the way to Sutherlands. Some of them quite deep even in fine weather.

As far as I'm concerend it is a fantastic adventure type ride. Not too technical, and well suited to the bigger bore bikes like the DR650, but still challanging in places. I needed to use my head a bit to get around some areas.

Looking forward to going up there again. If you're keen let me know and we'll go up there and do the entire crossing.

Garry.W
28th November 2006, 12:10
There was another topic on here about doing the Makairo Track, but that went quiet, so maybe this is a good opportunity?

Cheers Scott

It's real wet and some dodgy slips and washouts in places on Makiro. Those of us thinking of going back early December have become somewhat rational (eek) and decided to do it in Feb, let things dry up a bit.

On 9/10 December, Warewolf is coming over from Nelson for the weekend. We'll see what we can do to join you guys.

Zukin
4th December 2006, 15:53
Is this still on?

Cheers Scott

Bartman10
4th December 2006, 16:01
Yep, we're still on. If you want to meet up somewhere along the way let me know where and we'll try to specify a time.

I'm going to take it easy and play it a bit safe this weekend after last weekends tragic accidents.

If anyone else is keen we're leaving Rimutex (caltex rimutaka) at 10 am on this Saturday the 9th of December

Bring a tent, cooker whatever else you need for the weekend....

See you there!

Zukin
4th December 2006, 16:05
Well actually!!

I might be able to organise accommodation on the coast, if you guys are keen to take a different route??

Cheers Scott

Bartman10
4th December 2006, 16:08
Sounds great! What's the plan?

Zukin
4th December 2006, 16:25
Ok

I thought we could follow a similar route that you proposed, but we take a few different routes

See map below

There are some gems in there

Day 1 Saturday
Total Distance - Approx 220km
Gravel - Approx 100km (but it has been a long time since I was last on these roads, so there maybe more tarseal now)
The idea is to meet in Masterton on Saturday about lunchtime if you get away on time :)
Then continue North through Bideford, covering some great gravel roads, but shoot into Eketahuna (for those that want to top up or dry off :))
Then its a back road to Pahiatua (fuel here too), then Mangatinoka and a visit to the Brewery:Punk: (maybe a tour for those that are keen? see here (http://www.tui.co.nz/default.asp?s1=The%20Brewery&s2=Tours%20and%20Tastings)
Then we get back onto the gravel and head South.
We take Pori Road which is magic!! (or at least I think so)
The down to Tinui and onto Mataikoina, where we will have shearers quarters to use (hot showers, beds etc)

Day 2 Sunday
I have 2 options here, and will post soon :)

Zukin
4th December 2006, 16:38
Oops
I do need to check on the accommodation but it should be ok :)
If it is ok, I would need to know numbers by Thursday night

Also what are your thoughts on the following?
I would like to request that each person pays $10 to go towards Inline4, this is in lieu of paying for accommodation?
I will deposit the money into the bank account that is on KB next week?

Cheers Scott

Bartman10
4th December 2006, 16:38
Sounds great. We'll see you in Masterton at about 12 noon on Saturday.

Where do ya wanna meet? What about outside the big Honda shop on the main drag (Langland's Honda is it's official name)?

Cheers.

Shiner
4th December 2006, 18:48
Hi , I am also fairly new to gravel road riding. Have recently bought my BMW 650F. I have been out on some rides on my own, out to Palliser Bay, White Rock, Ocean Beach ( down west side of Lake Wairarapa) and Tora. I would like to have some one to ride with at times however. If you know some more fun, but not too challenging places to explore, and are maybe interested in hooking up on a ride, I would be very interested.
Have a South island trip planned from Jan2 to 25 where I plan to ride over some gravel roads such as Danseys Pass, Hakatariamia, maybe Dunstan Trial. Any ideas and maybe possible riding buddies for some of the way ?
Happy adventuring

Zukin
4th December 2006, 18:54
Hi there

Nice bike and welcome to KB
What dont you join in for this weekends ride?
It will be easier, and not too fast as I am only on a 250!!:yes:
They are just normal gravel roads, but the views on some of them are nothing short of spectacular

Cheers Scott

Bartman10
5th December 2006, 08:26
Hi there shiner

We're all newbies at this adventure game so why not come and join the fun.

Fraggle will be there on her 650 too so it won't be all blokes.

Caltex rimutaka is here.

http://www.wises.co.nz/?point=86721|2

See you at 10am Saturday then. Look for a yellow DR650 and yellow leathers.

Cheers,

Zukin
5th December 2006, 13:48
Sounds great. We'll see you in Masterton at about 12 noon on Saturday.

Where do ya wanna meet? What about outside the big Honda shop on the main drag (Langland's Honda is it's official name)?

Cheers.

Hi there

Meeting Place in Masterton
Perhaps we should meet directly across the road from Langlands Honda, in the Caltex Service Station?

Cheers Scott

Bartman10
5th December 2006, 14:42
Right-o

See you there. Looking forward to it. Hope the wx holds out.

Zukin
5th December 2006, 15:03
Yep I hope it does hold out :mellow:

This is where I check for long range forcasts not always accrate though
Click here for weather forecast (http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=farmwairarapa)

Zukin
5th December 2006, 15:16
So how many have we got coming?

Bartman10
5th December 2006, 16:16
Not sure...

Me, Fraggle, you, .... ???

I guess we'll find out on Saturday.

Cheers,

Mark.

Zukin
5th December 2006, 21:30
Ok
The shearers quarters are fine to use :)
They are clean and comfortable with beds , so just to bring a sleeping bag
There is cutlery etc there and has an oven/fridge etc
Also flush toilets for the ladies and good hot showers :)

See you Sat
Scott

Bartman10
6th December 2006, 07:57
Sounds pretty flash! I was expecting to sleep in a tent on a rocky surface!

Thanks!!

See ya then.

Zukin
6th December 2006, 15:43
Cmon, anyone else keen to ride this weekend? :Punk:

Cheers

Zukin
7th December 2006, 19:09
Ok so at this stage there is Bartman, Fraggle and myself heading out, if anyone else decides to turn up on the day please PM me your cell number before 8am on Saturday, just in case :shutup:

Cheers Scott

Zukin
8th December 2006, 15:40
So what is the weather like in Welly and/or Masterton at the moment ?

Cheers Scott

Zukin
10th December 2006, 18:30
Well a great weekend had by all the attended :)

Fraggle, Bartman10 and I headed into the cold wet southerly on Sat AM into depths unknown, but about 1/2 and hour into the trip the weather broke and we would not really see rain again.

For those of you that decided not to come, you missed a great ride
A report and pics will be posted soon :)

Cheers Scott

Zukin
11th December 2006, 21:28
Trip report and a few pics can be found here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=40373):yes: