PDA

View Full Version : Loss of License

Nouseforaname
12th May 2003, 21:03
Okay..... Coming home one night from my parents house, it was 9:43pm, sitting at a red light. Light turns green and as if by magic the bike starts to wind up...... cut to the chase i got caught doing 111kph in a 50k zone. I have an okay record, just a few minor traffic offences but nothing major. Can anyone speaking from prior experince give me an indication of what to expect in court i.e. how much coin it's gona cost me in fines and how long im legally:p not allowed to drive for.... cheers:D

SpankMe
12th May 2003, 21:10
I have lost my license twice. Once for excessive points. 6 months without license, I think. Might have been 3. Second for dangerous driving. Passed a plain cop car on the inside, went through a red light then hit a car coming out of a driveway and cart-wheeled over the bonnet. :eek: 6 months loss of license and $500.

I still kept riding the first time. Even got pulled over once but they didn't ask for my licence, just a rego check. :D

merv
12th May 2003, 21:52
Hey Spank that second one you talk about were you on something then to have such a death wish? Cop car, red light, car out of driveway - that's one helluva thing to do all in one go.

Marmoot
13th May 2003, 16:36
$500??? :gob:
that's CHEAP!!!! I got done 145 in 100 zone for $510
And 50 flippin bloody points.

Anyhow, i think if you exceed 50kph above limit then u'll lose licence for 28 days. If you tot your points up to more than 99, then u'll lose licence for 3 months.
Different treatment.
Oh, the fine would probably be about $1000 i think. If they don't call u boyracer.

750Y
13th May 2003, 19:50
see the public attorney to try & get an application for a reduction in fines due to the 'personal hardship' it will cause You. 'I'm not saying make a false statement of means or anything but plead poverty. The fact is that the system is so clogged there are no resources to validate your claims, oh and dress accordingly.
The citizens advice beareau should be able to give you the name of a lawyer who can give you 10 free minutes of advice.

fungus
13th May 2003, 20:27
hah, sounds sooo familiar. But I did 153km/h in 100km/h zone.

I didn't go to court cause I got myself a lawyer to take care of it. I asked my lawyer to write a letter to the judge saying I'm guilty and sorry for what I did.

My lawyer advised me to do a defensive driving course, so that he can write/put it in the letter to show that I'm really sorry.

I did the course eventually and  I got off with only $700 fine ONLY!!! Lucky I didn't loss my license for 6months+ (That's the only thing I was worried)

PS: I don't speed anymore!! Cost too much, dangerous and too risky!!!   :niceone:

MikeL
13th May 2003, 21:05
Can anyone confirm the situation re a judge's discretion when it comes to imposing a fine and suspending a licence for speeding offences?
Would a (relatively) untarnished driving/riding record count for anything? My first and last appearance in court on a speeding charge was in 1972!
( I wouldn't, of course, mention the fact that I was overseas for part of the intervening time...)

SPman
13th May 2003, 21:23
:rockon:

bikerboy
13th May 2003, 23:17
If you plead poverty the fine will almost certainly be reduced and a repayment schedule made up. I know one guy who has to pay his fine at three dollars a month!

Also get the public defender to apply for a temporary license. If you can show you need it for work, no bus routes nearby, work outside bus hours, work out of town, vehicle needed for work, etc, you can get a temporary license for use during the day, say 7-7.

Work the system and insist on quality defense from the P.D. After all that's what we pay these taxes for.:beer:

handy_dog
16th January 2006, 14:55
What you end up getting will depend alot on what you were charged with. This appears on the piece of paper you were given at the time.

Best case = exceeding 50 Ks - 50 demerits and $1000
Worst case = speed dangerous - minimum 6 months walk, big fine, & jail term.

The prosicution will present as evidence any history of traffic offences that sit on the Whanganui computer. (was in court last year and they went back 20 years of mine... two pages; & no-where to hide in the dock).

Don't expect to be in court within 3 months - unless you realy pissed the cop off.

:Pokey:

Good Luck

Quasievil
16th January 2006, 14:57
What you end up getting will depend alot on what you were charged with. This appears on the piece of paper you were given at the time.

Best case = exceeding 50 Ks - 50 demerits and $1000
Worst case = speed dangerous - minimum 6 months walk, big fine, & jail term.

The prosicution will present as evidence any history of traffic offences that sit on the Whanganui computer. (was in court last year and they went back 20 years of mine... two pages; & no-where to hide in the dock).

Don't expect to be in court within 3 months - unless you realy pissed the cop off.

:Pokey:

Good Luck

Lol might be beyond luck cause it was two years ago:clap:

sAsLEX
16th January 2006, 15:02
Lol might be beyond luck cause it was two years ago:clap:

I saw bikerboys post and thought that was weird, then looked at the date....

Finn
16th January 2006, 15:11
Passed a plain cop car on the inside, went through a red light then hit a car coming out of a driveway and cart-wheeled over the bonnet. :eek: 6 months loss of license and $500.

But at least you weren't speeding... right?

marty
16th January 2006, 15:11
this has to nearly be a record!! i don't even think il4 dredged any up that were this old!

Marmoot
16th January 2006, 15:54
Damn........I didn't know I was on Kiwibiker in 2003...... :blink:

Firefight
16th January 2006, 16:58
Damn........I didn't know I was on Kiwibiker in 2003...... :blink:

meh,you so fuckin old ya can't remember shit:scratch:

F/F:eek:

Marmoot
16th January 2006, 18:38
meh,you so fuckin old ya can't remember shit:scratch:

F/F:eek:

yea?

And you're so old that you can't remember you're much older than I am.

Oh sorry....would it rather be "can't see"?
:crazy:

Sniper
16th January 2006, 18:45
Bloody hell. You really went into the archives didnt ya, lol