PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop GP70??

SN4PD
8th October 2006, 18:35
Went tire shopping today, the shop recomended Dunlop GP70's as the best they had in my profile (ZXR250), are they any good?

Liam

SuperDave
8th October 2006, 18:38
GPR70 you mean?
I tried out a set on my old ZXR and personally I didn't like them very much.

Much prefered my Bridgestones which were a BT92 on the rear and BT96 on the front.

Sketchy_Racer
8th October 2006, 18:46
Dunlop GPR70s are THE best tire you can get for a 240 IL4.

Bridgestones are still a good tire, but the dunlops are better allround tyres IMO

Good luck choosing

SN4PD
8th October 2006, 18:50
GPR70, that'll be it, just waiting for the front tire to come in at the shop, $450 for front & rear fitted, seems pretty reasonable.

Has to be better than the IRC's I've been running for the last year.

Quasievil
8th October 2006, 19:22
Well I have raced in them on the GSXR400 and got a full season out of them, have never had a slidy moment I couldnt control well one maybe on turn one trying to go around Frosty in the rain. Excellent tyre and a popular one with F3 racers.
Highly recommended, quick warm up and good in all conditions, Im so impressed Im getting another set this month.

limbimtimwim
8th October 2006, 19:34
I've never had GPR70s, but many have told me they are very good.

But I have had a set of Bridgestone BT-090s on my 400 and I can vouch for them being amazing. They are even good in the wet and wear very nicely.

mv.senna
8th October 2006, 19:40
Has to be better than the IRC's I've been running for the last year.

geezus mate - you're getting pretty good wear out of a set of tyres if you've gotten a YEAR out of them.....i wouldn't be whining about that....assuming of course you've actually been riding the bike and not just admiring it in the garage ha ha!!!

SN4PD
8th October 2006, 19:46
Nah, I just havent ridden it much, but its become actractive to use on a daily basis now works moved offices to the viaduct and car parking is $250 a month, that and my thumbs finally healed up.

vtec
8th October 2006, 20:14
Yeah, I reckon the GPR70 and the BT090 are both equally good, although, the BT090 is a newer tyre, and I think it has more silicon in it, wears really well, although initial tread depth isn't as deep. I'm a real fan of the BT090, but I race on GPR70's because that is what is tried and tested.

R6_kid
8th October 2006, 21:47
i had the bridgestones BT45 rear with a BT92 front (matching rear wasnt in stock) on my ZXR250 and never had any trouble. Never got into the Dunlops at the time.

I know that n4cr and Texmo both run/ran the GPR70 SP's or with a GPR100 rear to get better wear. They are both very talented riders and both on the same model bike as you so i guess their opinion cant be wrong.

limbimtimwim
9th October 2006, 05:00
but I race on GPR70's because that is what is tried and tested.Next year (Money permitting) I am going to race on the 090's. You'd have to be doing something insane to break traction and crash using them.

MSTRS
9th October 2006, 08:36
geezus mate - you're getting pretty good wear out of a set of tyres if you've gotten a YEAR out of them.....i wouldn't be whining about that....assuming of course you've actually been riding the bike and not just admiring it in the garage ha ha!!!

IRC tyres - main ingredients = steel and soap. Hardly ever wear out plus hardly ever grip well.
Anyone with IRC tyres are riding a time bomb.
GPR70 are a brilliant tyre

SN4PD
9th October 2006, 08:46
IRC tyres - main ingredients = steel and soap. Hardly ever wear out plus hardly ever grip well.
Anyone with IRC tyres are riding a time bomb.
GPR70 are a brilliant tyre

Funny thing is, when I went to replace the rear tire least year I was told IRC's were pretty good tires, and that if I was outriding the tires I should get a bigger bike, seem to remember paying a bit more for the rear than I'm paying for the new GPR70 rear too, then again the guy forgot to put the split pin on the rear wheel too :buggerd:

MSTRS
9th October 2006, 08:50
Funny thing is, when I went to replace the rear tire least year I was told IRC's were pretty good tires, and that if I was outriding the tires I should get a bigger bike, seem to remember paying a bit more for the rear than I'm paying for the new GPR70 rear too, then again the guy forgot to put the split pin on the rear wheel too :buggerd:

Oh dear. The unscrupulous and the ill-informed are not a good combination.

SN4PD
9th October 2006, 09:14
Oh dear. The unscrupulous and the ill-informed are not a good combination.

Ill-informed - yes, negligent - perhaps (everyone makes mistakes), unscrupulous - probably not (every store caters to a different market, gets different wholesale prices etc, I probably just stepped into the wrong store for my market segment, hell I used to work for an unscrupulous company but at least I made sure I was well-informed even if we did charge the earth). :cool:

HDTboy
9th October 2006, 09:23
Loosebruce sums up GPR70s here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=464719&postcount=5)

SN4PD
10th October 2006, 18:10
Getting the new rubber fitted 8:30 tomorrow morning :2thumbsup

Plenty of time to test it out before KBTTD IV :chase:

SN4PD
12th October 2006, 20:54
Just did the Goat Track GP, fuck what difference, she feels like she’s riding on rails. The GPR70's are a 1000 times better than IRCs.

I was considering buying a 675 at the end of the month.... but now, well it feels like the bike has so much unexplored potential in it, I think I could easily learn to ride the shit out of it given enough practise :banana:

Also got a tank bag for my gear while I was getting the tires fitted, feels heaps better not lugging a pack round anymore:2thumbsup

jade
15th October 2006, 07:19
I highly recomend dunlop gpr 70's,
Rode them on my aprilia rs250 for 5 months everyday and NEVER had a slide (Cept in the rain clutching it and giving it some revs), I really trust these tyres and highly recomend them, what I particulary like is the warm up time, even on a 5 min commute in the rain at 50 k when you get off you can feel how warm the tyre is, towards the end of my 5months I moved the rear to a gpr80, I dont know too much about them because my bike got written off shortly after, but I believe they are stickier ? Perhaps this is under harder riding when they really get up to temp and sacrifices grip in cold weather
On my new rs250 I have a gpr70 on the front and a pilot power or road on the rear, Asap I will be changing the rear back to a gpr70
I cant recomend the tyres more

DEATH_INC.
15th October 2006, 07:40
if I was outriding the tires I should get a bigger bike,
Anyone giving this advice should be considered a retard and steered clear of at all costs.

texmo
15th October 2006, 12:48
A gpr70 wont fit a zxr 250 rear wheel. Well not properly.

GPR70 front combined with a GPR100 rear is the best combination IMHO on the zxr250. but then what do I know I highsided at 140 coming out of a sweaper.

Racey Rider
15th October 2006, 13:25
... towards the end of my 5months I moved the rear to a gpr80, I dont know too much about them because my bike got written off shortly after, but I believe they are stickier ? Perhaps this is under harder riding when they really get up to temp and sacrifices grip in cold weather

The GPR70 was stickyer than the GPR80, which was more of a everyday/touring tyre. The 80 has now been superseded by the GPR100.

Heres the old GPR80 blurb:
Designed for better mileage, offers excellent all year round performance and wear. The directional pattern provides good all round grip with efficient water dispersal in the wet. This tyre is a must for those who use their machines in all weathers and expect value for money.

sAsLEX
15th October 2006, 13:43
A gpr70 wont fit a zxr 250 rear wheel. Well not properly.

I love unqualified statements!

Any reason for that Tex?

texmo
15th October 2006, 14:50
I love unqualified statements!

Any reason for that Tex?

Yeah, When I started racing I wanted to get GPR70's but they dont make the gpr70 rear tyre for the wheel size a zxr250 has. (Accordning to cycletreads and the forbys and davies sales person I spoke to)
I got one put on any way but it was oversized, and was not good.

SN4PD
15th October 2006, 17:36
Yeah, When I started racing I wanted to get GPR70's but they dont make the gpr70 rear tyre for the wheel size a zxr250 has. (Accordning to cycletreads and the forbys and davies sales person I spoke to)

Well the guys at cycletreads fitted gpr70 front and rear to mine, theyre fucking mint...... been in to the store a couple more times now, best service I've had in auckland..... I couldent ask for more!

SN4PD
16th October 2006, 08:37
Just have to watch them when they're cold and wet.......

(Was blissfully ignoring work at 7:30 this morning when...... ring ring, the file server and call centre server simultaneously broke.... 20 mins later she didn’t want to stop in a hurry at the bottom of Hobson street :whistle:)

sAsLEX
16th October 2006, 09:35

Loosebruce sums up GPR70s here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=464719&postcount=5)

Sooooo every other joe on a 250 is using unfitting tires? And everyone raves about them in F3? And I had them fitting on my MC22?!

You must of had a funky rear wheel on that thing

texmo
16th October 2006, 10:29
Sooooo every other joe on a 250 is using unfitting tires? And everyone raves about them in F3? And I had them fitting on my MC22?!

You must of had a funky rear wheel on that thing

ever noticed the size of your rear wheel and cbr 250 wheel is diffrent from a zxr? one is 18 inches and the other is 17 inches?

HDTboy
16th October 2006, 11:32
fIGHT! fIGHT!

sAsLEX
16th October 2006, 11:56
ever noticed the size of your rear wheel and cbr 250 wheel is diffrent from a zxr? one is 18 inches and the other is 17 inches?

So your zxr has an 18 inch rear ?! Thats weird.

texmo
16th October 2006, 12:28
So your zxr has an 18 inch rear ?! Thats weird.

I love unqualified statments....