PDA

View Full Version : Chain and/or Drive Sprocket Problem

Antallica
12th May 2003, 22:25
Hey guys, I'm new here.

I've been having a bit of a problem with my bike and want to get a 2nd opinion. My chain is in pretty good nic pretty (1 tough spot atm so I'm told), I've been getting one hell noise from the sprocket I think. It a high pitched wirr noise, drives me up the wall and turns a few heads when I pass people :o It doesn't happen all the time and it seems to go away when I lube the chain nicely. It's got me stumped :mad:.

What do you guys reckon? I've been told that it's either or both the chain and drive sprocket and the shop reckons it's time for me to book maintenance.

How much does the average chain and drive sprocket goes for these days?

Ants

Dave
13th May 2003, 09:39
I've never come across a chain/sprocket on there own being noisey,but if your chain is too tight it will load up the bearings in the gearbox making them whine.Also when your adjusting your chain,rotate the wheel and keep checking the tension.If you have stretch in your chain it will adjust well in some places but be too tight in others.

Coldkiwi
13th May 2003, 12:31
well, if it's too loose, it'll rattle like forty bastards. I've never had it so tight that it whines but that's only because I check the tension through a whole rotation of the rear wheel (jack it up and give it a spin). It can make a big difference if it looks fine in the loosest spot because it may really be wrenching at the tightest. worth checking.

I'd also say that if its drastically tightening and loosening as it rotates, you'd be best to look at new sprockets and chain. O-rings are about $120ish and sprockets are probably 40-60 for a front&rear set ? (maybe cheaper on both counts for a 150cc)

I've had hassles with stretched chains before and in my opinion the extra dosh for an oring is worth it in less frustration with tightening it every week or day!

merv
13th May 2003, 12:46
Just another thought you haven't got something stuck against one of the sprockets have you like a piece of stick or something? Or part of the bike rubbing that shouldn't be. More likely dirt biking than on an FXR where you pick stuff up and it gets stuck around the front sprocket. Otherwise except for the comment made about the bearing I can't imagine what else could make the noise other than a foreign object

Antallica
13th May 2003, 14:59
I do notice my chain has a slight knot in it and when it whines you can obviously tell there's a knot there. There's nothing in the chain afaik. The chain itself is fine as far as tight/loose go. It is the original chain however and I've done 4,000km since I first got it in March. It had 4,400km when I got it. Basically I reckon it's time for a new chain anyway.

It could be rubbing on som ething but I don't really see what it could be, I'm undecided as to which sprocket is making the noise... I have a suspicion it might be the rear wheel one now. It is rubbing on something though, because it will stop when I slow down to about 45km/hr after it start's. It only starts sometimes and ONLY when I am in 5th Gear or higher.

But other than that.... lube helps :)

Dave
13th May 2003, 15:10
Also had another thought-Your rear sprocket will have a carrier bearing on the inside,if this is worn/rough could cause similar noise.
Also might pay you to see if your rear wheel bearings are rough.
(better to find out now than when your sliding down the road on your back!)

Antallica
13th May 2003, 15:13
Is there any way I can check for that myself Dave? I don't fancy a bill from the shop.

*edit* .. Well I've had a look at the chain and back sprocket and well there is a small thing that looks like a worry... I can't really explain it but it seems the rear sprockets bearing outer casing nearest the chain seems to be pushed in a bit, I'm not sure what that means *edit*

Buggeration about that chain price! Better start saving a bit.

I'm due for a service in a few weeks anyways. So I'll tell them to check out for those things.

Dave
13th May 2003, 17:21
If you want to be able to check a few things like that, it may pay you to get a manual.Go to repco,they should be able to order one for you.

moko
13th May 2003, 17:47
I had a similar problem years ago,turned out I`d not replaced the chain-guard properly and the chain was rubbing against it making a similar noise to the one you describe.It only has to be bent slightly out of shape or have a washer missed out or put in the wrong place to do this.If you`ve still got it after your service find yourself another bike shop!

Coldkiwi
13th May 2003, 18:07
yeah. easy for bike shops to not put a washer or similar back in if you've had a new tyre on recently. that could put the rear wheel out of alignment.

I'd be VERY surprised if you only got 4000k's out of a chain on an FXR! I think  chain life on even a ZX-12 is at least 10000 km(assuming 1/2 decent o-ring) with some reasonable abuse.

merv
15th May 2003, 13:13
Antallica any further progress on identifying the problem?

Antallica
15th May 2003, 21:27
Well I can easily confirm that the whine isn't coming from the rear sprocket.... it's coming for directly under me so it's either the engine under some form of stress due to the chain or the chain and/or front sprocket.

I don't think it could be the engine as when I lube the chain and front sprocket, there's no noise.... just when the chain get's a bit dry it'll start after a while.

It's done 8,000km on the original chain now anyways so it's time for a full service. I'll make sure the guys document all faults and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

This will probably be next week however.

Also, now that I think about it.... it might pay for me to just clean the chain completely, lube it up and see how that turns out. It's lookin a bit dirty.... not to mention my back rim getting black from the lube. Damn shit's like tar!

Antallica
16th May 2003, 13:56
Well guys, it started the whine again, but something different about this one..... I could actually tell where it was coming from.... it's the fromt wheel....

Something is rubbing, it could be either the disc rubbing on something or the Speedo gearbox might need a lube. My moneys on the disc.

Bugger.... hopefully will be cheaper to find problem/fix than chain/sprocket method.

Coldkiwi
19th May 2003, 12:34
it may be your calipers not retracting properly then. thats a fairly common problem that will also wear your disc and pads quickly. you can get oxidisation in behind the pistons that prevents them retracting and wearing on the disc. good thing to srt out if that's it before it wears your disc too much (you don't wanna know how much it is to replace that!)

Antallica
29th May 2003, 20:40
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
it may be your calipers not retracting properly then. thats a fairly common problem that will also wear your disc and pads quickly. you can get oxidisation in behind the pistons that prevents them retracting and wearing on the disc. good thing to srt out if that's it before it wears your disc too much (you don't wanna know how much it is to replace that!)

Hey man, could you explain a bit more about the caliper thing. I'm a but clueless on that one.

Cheers, Ants

Coldkiwi
30th May 2003, 12:18
when you ride around (I presuem crappy weather is worst), the insides of the calipers can start oxidising with the water etc. the surfaces should be smooth as to allow the pistons that push the pads to move out and retract easily. If the oxidisation builds up too much the pistons have trouble retracting and will tend to rest against the brake disc instead of hiding back inside the caliper. This result in a lot of unneccesary wear on your disc and pads.

make sense?

Coldkiwi
30th May 2003, 12:21
I have a question for someone else though on chains.

if my chain has a particularly tight spot, is it the result of rooted sprockets/chain or is it something misaligned? Ie.. can I get it adjusted or am I looking at new gear. The sprockets are a little hooked but there is one very sudden tight spot, almost like it is clicking out of place or something strange. I don'tthink its good for teh drive mechanism at all and want to get it fixed.

Any ideas greatly received!

Antallica
30th May 2003, 13:57
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
when you ride around (I presuem crappy weather is worst), the insides of the calipers can start oxidising with the water etc. the surfaces should be smooth as to allow the pistons that push the pads to move out and retract easily. If the oxidisation builds up too much the pistons have trouble retracting and will tend to rest against the brake disc instead of hiding back inside the caliper. This result in a lot of unneccesary wear on your disc and pads.

make sense?

Yeah seems simple enough but what is the caliper (yes I'm a learner! ;) )

babyB
30th May 2003, 13:59
take couple of chain mesurments, and again after a ride. if tight spot in the same place, replace the chain. chances are its damaged or warn. the tight sopt can damage the trans shaft bearing. it dose pay to replace chain and sprocke together.  im not  sure that the sprockets would be cause of the tight spot but it wont be helping. take the mesurments and fid out.

some times lack of lubrication, corrision and rubbing (hooked sprocket teeth)may cause a tight spot (binding)

hay i am no mechanic! and could be wrong. i dont know much about your bike, im looking at what id do with mine

babyB
30th May 2003, 23:15
Originally posted by Antallica
Yeah seems simple enough but what is the caliper (yes I'm a learner! ;) )

basicly its a housing that fits on the brake disk and holds the brake pads

Antallica
30th May 2003, 23:22
Ahh cheers, I'll get that checked out ASAP.

Redstar
30th May 2003, 23:45
When I bought the bike from Red B they must have put a fairly budget chain on cause after 10k it was maxed out.
I got a gold DID x O ring from Cycletreads plus new sprockets and I've done 15k without first adjustment money well spent
$250 all up.
Brake calipers have a cross over piston/pistons and it they stick the outboard shoe grind away at the disk to distruction.
that 150 disk is unlikely to take a skim.
so get around to Cycletreads and get sorted.
They have a good bike shop in Whangerei dont they?
50$ now saves 300$ later especially if you have a noise.
I have spent heaps at Cycletreads and have never felt ripped off.
whats the top speed on your 150?

Antallica
31st May 2003, 07:41
Got mine to 150km/h going to Auckland the other week. That was at 12,000rpm (just hitting the red line). I didn't stay at that speed for long, I just wanted to see if I can beat my previous top.

Gold chain, oh that's gonna be my next one :D
Mines done just over 8k and it's the original, it's got a slight knot in it but nothing major yet.... gotta save up for some servicing and parts now :( BAH!

Redstar
1st June 2003, 22:48
:eek:
150klms from a 150 damed good on that basis you should get 750klm/hr from an R1.
I wish they had bike like yours when I was a lad.
I had a triumph bonniville T120 and it struggled to do that.
mind you it wasnt all bad it felt real mean and felling had a lot to do with the overall experience.
whats your next bike going to be?