PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for squeaking on new brake.......

placidfemme
9th October 2006, 11:55
Well I only got my bike back last Thursday, after nearly 11 months off two wheels...

I had my front brake disc's and pads replaced for the compliance...

And I've noticed that when riding at slow speeds (0-15kph) my bike sqeaks, once I speed up the squeaking stops... or at least I can't hear it...

They told me it would take about 100k's to bed the brakes in... So is it normal for them to sqeak?

vifferman
9th October 2006, 12:01
So is it normal for them to sqeak?
It's not uncommon.
It depends quite a lot on the pads - they vary in hardness and some tend to squeak more than others. As long as they work alright, Tammy, don't worry too much about it.
If it really bothers you, then when they're worn in you can give them a clean with some cheap brake cleaner from SuperChinese Auto Spares, and scuff them up with some sandpaper.

Either that, or put a louder zorst on the bike.:beer:

inlinefour
9th October 2006, 12:06
Well I only got my bike back last Thursday, after nearly 11 months off two wheels...

I had my front brake disc's and pads replaced for the compliance...

And I've noticed that when riding at slow speeds (0-15kph) my bike sqeaks, once I speed up the squeaking stops... or at least I can't hear it...

They told me it would take about 100k's to bed the brakes in... So is it normal for them to sqeak?

Used to have the problem alot with older drum type brakes, but as stated above can be quite normal on discs. Can be caused by dust in the moving parts between the pads and the disc. However if the brakes are working properly, then there probably is not a problem.

placidfemme
9th October 2006, 12:20
Yeah the brakes work fine, nice and sharp... just a bit annoying with the sqeaking... Sam reckons you can hear it from about 20-30m away when i'm riding slow...

When I'm riding faster (anything over 20kph-ish) I can't hear anything except my pipe :)

Thanks for the feedback :) I'll let you know if it keeps doing it after the normal wear in period

imdying
9th October 2006, 16:54
Properly done, new discs and pads should never squeak. For example, you buy a new GSXR, would you expect them to squeak? No you would not. You can get high temp grease suitable for between the pad and piston face, that will dampen the vibration (which you hear as a squeak) and probably fix it. Don't you do it, make the chumps that took your money do it, as they should have done first time round.

Your pads will take approximately 100kms to bed in, but they shouldn't really be squeaking before then.

placidfemme
10th October 2006, 09:41
Properly done, new discs and pads should never squeak. For example, you buy a new GSXR, would you expect them to squeak? No you would not. You can get high temp grease suitable for between the pad and piston face, that will dampen the vibration (which you hear as a squeak) and probably fix it. Don't you do it, make the chumps that took your money do it, as they should have done first time round.

Your pads will take approximately 100kms to bed in, but they shouldn't really be squeaking before then.

Thanks... I've tried a few things suggested to me, and they are still sqeaking... I'm not on the bike today, but when I ride her in to work next, I'll be going up to the bike shop I got it done at, to pick up some parts I left behind and when I'm there I'll tell him what the problem is...

:)

nagaraya
10th October 2006, 09:47
Got the same issue with my rear brake. Funny thing is that it only started squeaking after my last service (which was 3 months ago) and I only really notice it at low speeds. So far though, it hasn't detracted from the brake's performance.

McJim
10th October 2006, 10:00
Check the disc fittings all 'float' appropriately - if one of them is too tight it could be keeping the disc from floating as it should hence it rubs at low speeds.

just my 2c

imdying
10th October 2006, 17:26
Bikes just running about in all weathers sometimes develop a little squeal on light brake application, it just happens because a little rust develops in various places. It's annoying, but not really a problem. New stuff obviously shouldn't have that problem :(

placidfemme
12th October 2006, 09:18
Bikes just running about in all weathers sometimes develop a little squeal on light brake application, it just happens because a little rust develops in various places. It's annoying, but not really a problem. New stuff obviously shouldn't have that problem :(

Mine sqeaks when I'm NOT breaking... when I brake it stops... and I was watching (rather listening) for it this morning on my way to work... and I was wrong in saying slow speeds 0-15kph... its actually sqeaking up to about 35kph...

I've tried gradual braking on a downhill stretch of road... and it hasn't helped.. I've looked at the brake disc's/pads and can't see anything not right...

I'm hoping to make it up to the bike shop today to pick up some parts i left behind... and I'll mention it to him...

Postie
12th October 2006, 09:25
Remove the mouse...

placidfemme
13th October 2006, 08:24
Well its still sqeaking, but I've noticed something new... which I don't think is a very good thing...

Last night when I got home, I did my usual "i'm annoyed... whats your problem now" inspection on my front end to see if I could track down the exact place of the sqeak... and I felt my disc's.

The right disc, cold as... something cold... and the left disc was too hot to touch... so I know which side it is rubbing on now...

I'm heading into the shop today, so they can check it out :)

placidfemme
13th October 2006, 11:19
Well crap... my mechanic doesn't work there anymore (and I spoke to him yesterday.... grrrr) and now they are overloaded with work cause he's gone and can't look at my bike until Monday... sometime...

He said "Best not to ride it incase you warp the disc"

Ok so I'll just leave it at work with no protection shall I?

So I have to ride it home, then back to work on Monday, then to the bike shop...

*is starting to dislike my bike*