PDA

View Full Version : Biker First Aid course??

placidfemme
10th October 2006, 13:31
Hey

Last year a First Aid evening was organised, specifically for bikers.

I was wondering if another one was in the pipeline? If not how can we go about organising this?

Since the last first Aid Course we've had a bunch of new members join, and also a lot of the older members missed out too...

So yeah... ??

The_Dover
10th October 2006, 13:34
I'd probably do this after the weekend I had.

Does it cover alcohol poisoning too?

Also, does everybody out there know that the big red numbers on rural gateways are emergency location numbers as well as dairy numbers? I sure as fuck didn't.

EDIT: I've done the St Johns one thru my old job but still was fuck all use on Saturday, except for having a working cellphone!

placidfemme
10th October 2006, 13:35
Here is a link to the original thread for the first "First Aid Course"

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=15340

Fishy
10th October 2006, 13:46
EDIT: I've done the St Johns one thru my old job but still was fuck all use on Saturday, except for having a working cellphone!

What happened on Saturday? did someone come off?

deeknow
10th October 2006, 18:02
does the course cover severed-head reinstatement? :chase:

Lou Girardin
10th October 2006, 18:08
I've done one, great idea.
But I'll never do CPR on a man. Sorry.

The_Dover
10th October 2006, 18:31

no, we nearly ran out of piss.

pritch
10th October 2006, 18:48
Recently (well relatively recently anyway) I attended a Red Cross first aid course for work purposes. Because I turned up in bike gear (and just possibly because I asked the question) they included a scenario on how to deal with an injured/unconscious motorcyclist.

I'm assuming that any instructor who knows their stuff should be able to do likewise if asked nicely.

(I'm not sure if it would have been included if I wasn't there so perhaps we should spread ourselves around a bit...

Now: According to my calculations I have now attained "whoredom".

(Thanks, and "Here's to you.")

I promise to be less prolific with my posts in the immediate future.

Unless something gets me agitated of course...

placidfemme
12th October 2006, 09:15
Recently (well relatively recently anyway) I attended a Red Cross first aid course for work purposes. Because I turned up in bike gear (and just possibly because I asked the question) they included a scenario on how to deal with an injured/unconscious motorcyclist.

I'm assuming that any instructor who knows their stuff should be able to do likewise if asked nicely.

(I'm not sure if it would have been included if I wasn't there so perhaps we should spread ourselves around a bit...

Sam's doing a 2 day course with St Johns next Monday & Tuesday in Takapuna through her work... I've told her to ask on the first day if they can show her, and if they say yes to take her helmet in on the second day...

Then she can teach me lol

badmofo
12th October 2006, 10:45
I've done one, great idea.
But I'll never do CPR on a man. Sorry.

You scared he might wake up and slip you the tongue?

Colapop
12th October 2006, 11:19
I think someone nearly got come on... :buggerd:

Kendog
12th October 2006, 12:57

I turned up in bike gear for my last refresher also, and there was lots of comment from the instructor on motorcycle accident scenario stuff, like what to do for removing helmets etc. So does pay to either turn up in gear or ask, helps to teach cage dwelling first aiders to know what to do also.... if they bother to stop that is!
Mrs KD.

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 13:49
Well Sam did day 1 of her course yesterday... and at the end the lady asked "any questions?" and Sam asked if she could demonstrate how to safely remove a helmet from a biker who has crashed or been hit... and she said the lady

(A) laughed at her (fucking bitch)
(B) said "don't remove the helmet" and "by the time we get there the helmets are usually always off". Which Sam said felt like she was saying "it doesn't matter anyway".

So in the box they have the address for "comments and complaints" and they are going to get a heated letter from me...

What if the biker needs CPR, you NEED to know how to safely remove the helmet...

~~~~~~~~~~~

So back to my original question....

SpeedMedic.... FireFight... Anyone....

Is there going to be another KB first aid course?

The_Dover
17th October 2006, 13:53
ask her if the lady was a real big fat bitch that loved herself.

i had her for a first aid course once and wanted to punch her lights out.

placidfemme
17th October 2006, 13:54

Sam reckons she is short... and has been doing it for 15 years... or something... I'll confirm with her tonight...

placidfemme
18th October 2006, 12:14

Sam reckons she was short and chubby but not "fat"

ManDownUnder
18th October 2006, 12:18
I think someone nearly got come on... :buggerd:

Ms Lewinski?

Maverick
18th October 2006, 12:27
I did my first aid with St Johns, about a year ago,
Our instructor was a part timer who was also a firefighter at the airport.
He was excellent, very informative and everyone had a lot of fun.
I wasnt riding bikes at the time but he did mention helmets and biker accidents.

He said that the same guidelines for an accident with a trapped victim should be followed. i.e if concious and "safe" then dont move them till help arrives, but if in danger, or have no life signs and they HAVE to be moved (for safety or CPR), then move them as gently as possible.

It is not advisable to remove helmets from motorcyclists incase they have recieved injuries to the neck or spine,
However, as with all accidents your priority as a first aider is the patients vital signs aka, breathing and heartrate, lesser importantly conciousness.
If a person is not breathing or has no pulse then you most likely have to remove the helmet, as without CPR the risk of death is greater then the risk of injury from helmet removal.
The best way is to gently support the head and neck, (get help if you can) to minimise any movement of the neck and head while the helmet is being removed. (put a jumper or something under the head?

Does that help at all???

Mav :innocent:

placidfemme
18th October 2006, 12:31
The best way is to gently support the head and neck, (get help if you can) to minimise any movement of the neck and head while the helmet is being removed. (put a jumper or something under the head?

Does that help at all???

Mav :innocent:

Yeah it helps me :) at least now I have a slightly better idea of what to do... When Sam crashed I was freaking out, she was half tangled up in a fence, and she kept saying "I can't breathe" and wanted to take her helmet off... I knew Andrew (TIE) was only a matter of seconds away and so I told her to stay still until he got there... turns everything was fine she just had the wind knocked out of her...

ManDownUnder
25th October 2006, 16:11
ha HA!!!!!!!

Work has decided we need a first aid person... and nominated me!

AWESOME!

placidfemme
26th October 2006, 10:16
ha HA!!!!!!!

Work has decided we need a first aid person... and nominated me!

AWESOME!

Thats cool... where will you be doing your course?

And say hi to little anne for me (you'll see what I'm talking about when you do the course)

ManDownUnder
26th October 2006, 10:28
Thats cool... where will you be doing your course?

And say hi to little anne for me (you'll see what I'm talking about when you do the course)

LOL will do. What M/C specific stuff should I be looking for/asking about ?

placidfemme
26th October 2006, 10:50
LOL will do. What M/C specific stuff should I be looking for/asking about ?

lol anything you like... but if you get the same tart that Sam got she'll just laugh at you

ManDownUnder
26th October 2006, 11:55
lol anything you like... but if you get the same tart that Sam got she'll just laugh at you

Then I hope I do get her... I enjoy politely taking people down a peg or two...

"What do I do to help an injured motorcylist?"
"HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"
"I'm sorry - are you saying I'm not worth helping... why?"

The_Dover
26th October 2006, 11:59
she was half tangled up in a fence, and she kept saying "I can't breathe" and wanted to take her helmet off... I knew Andrew (TIE) was only a matter of seconds away ...

so that's where he got his inspiration from.........