PDA

View Full Version : Bmw G650x

Garry.W
11th October 2006, 13:22
One of the three new models BMW launching shortly.

G 650 X enduro - 53hp - 270 mm multi-adjustable rear suspension (air - same as HP2) - 43" upside downs at front - 21 inch front rim and 18 inch rear - discs standard 300 mm “wave” 2-piston calipers up front and 240 mm rear back - weighs about 156kg.

3 versions are G650X Cross, G650X Country (GS style not as hard edge) and G650X Moto (self explanatory).

I understand that Australia will only be getting the X cross (the one in the picture).

Blimming heck - that's me sorted then

CBobR
11th October 2006, 13:46
That's pretty sweet. I wonder how much fuel it carries,.. and how hard it would be to take 20kg of my old 650.

Garry.W
11th October 2006, 14:26
That's pretty sweet. I wonder how much fuel it carries,.. and how hard it would be to take 20kg of my old 650.

Around 10 litres I think, gives it a range of roughly 280K. I've managed to get about 11kg off my Dakar, different plastic up front and a change to exhaust and other bits and pieces, but going from 195 down to 156, with an increase in hp at the same time, sounds pretty good. Will be interesting to see what price they come in at, but reckon around $16 - 17K wouldn't be too far off.

PLUG
11th October 2006, 14:36
... nice ... keen for details/photos of the country version ... come on Garry let the cat out of the bag ...

Garry.W
11th October 2006, 16:16
... nice ... keen for details/photos of the country version ... come on Garry let the cat out of the bag ...

You'll note that 650X is the enduro looking one.

The X "Country" and the X "Moto" versions are not likely to get over here if they are not coming into Australia.

But they still look pretty good too!!

Intermot tomorrow, so no doubt plenty of pictures and detail to come.

You could also have a look at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172634, there's some particularly bad translation of German specs (actually it's quite funny).

Cheers
Garry

upshift
11th October 2006, 17:16
But maybe ditch the blue and white colour scheme, I can't help but see a Yamaha XTX660. Needs closer inspection and much test riding.:yeah:

X Moto version has a very similar look to the Aprilia SXV, which at 70hp and 128Kg and the most awesome sounding exhaust I have ever heard would get my money if I was in the market for a motard style bike (and had the money, :laugh: )

Garry.W
11th October 2006, 18:05
But maybe ditch the blue and white colour scheme, I can't help but see a Yamaha XTX660. Needs closer inspection and much test riding.:yeah:

X Moto version has a very similar look to the Aprilia SXV, which at 70hp and 128Kg and the most awesome sounding exhaust I have ever heard would get my money if I was in the market for a motard style bike (and had the money, :laugh: )

Colour's not an issue for me Neil, going to get dirty pretty quick anyway :cool:.....but yes, much testing to do first :banana:

You coming up to Kaipara or what??

miSTa
11th October 2006, 20:38
Another view of the Country:

warewolf
11th October 2006, 20:58
The X "Country" and the X "Moto" versions are not likely to get over here if they are not coming into Australia.Is that a BMW distribution thing?

Typically NZ gets way more models than Aus, partly due to the enormous cost of getting each model through the ADR (Australian Design Rules) compliance system and the resultant modifications required.

warewolf
11th October 2006, 21:07
53 hp
156 kg
$16-17K

Nearly as powerful, light and cheap as KTM's outgoing model! :lol:
:Pokey:

Ditch the blue & white? Are we talking badge colour? :buggerd:

But in all seriousness, looks like some great improvements.

PLUG
11th October 2006, 21:40
You could also have a look at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172634, there's some particularly bad translation of German specs (actually it's quite funny).

Cheers
Garry

... cheers for that Garry ... not keen on the 2.1 gal/9.5L fuel tank ... if you want to get off the beaten track your going to have to cart gas ... they claim 155 mile range (250k) ... thats 73+mpg (3.8L/100k) ...

... there was a link on the 2nd page of the advrider forums that said "both the old F650GS & the GSD remain unchanged in BMW's line up" ... wonder for how long they will remain part of that line up ...

upshift
11th October 2006, 22:17
You coming up to Kaipara or what??

:yes: and keen to do the 6 day trip. The night in Cambridge is now off the agenda so will book something close-ish to Raglan. Guess I need to confirm directly with hotels for first and last nights(?) can you PM or email the details please?

Ditch the blue & white? Are we talking badge colour? :buggerd:

:nono: I meant the bike colour, it's just kinda plain looking.

Oscar
13th October 2006, 07:52
Around 10 litres I think, gives it a range of roughly 280K. I've managed to get about 11kg off my Dakar, different plastic up front and a change to exhaust and other bits and pieces, but going from 195 down to 156, with an increase in hp at the same time, sounds pretty good. Will be interesting to see what price they come in at, but reckon around $16 - 17K wouldn't be too far off.

?!

280k!!!
That's 78 miles to gallon.

Please step away from the bong....

warewolf
13th October 2006, 08:06
:nono: I meant the bike colour, it's just kinda plain looking.Yeah, although most vehicles these days need to be seen in the flesh - photos don't do them justice. I don't know if this is mismatch in the way 'edge' designs appear vs. the limitations of photography or what?

Please step away from the bong....Or at least, pass it along.

Garry.W
13th October 2006, 09:12
?!

280k!!!

Please step away from the bong....

Sorry Oscar - probably a little exaggerated :calm:

Now, just another toke......:doobey:

Garry.W
13th October 2006, 09:15
Is that a BMW distribution thing?

Typically NZ gets way more models than Aus, partly due to the enormous cost of getting each model through the ADR (Australian Design Rules) compliance system and the resultant modifications required.

Yeah - typically - when BMW NZ was making the decisions around sales and marketing. Sadly, that no longer happens :mad:

upshift
15th October 2006, 19:44
?!

280k!!!

Possible, but only on the road of course. My F650 has done 80mpg on a Wellington to Wanganui trip and is never below 70mpg. Supposedly the twin spark gives a 5% improvement in economy over my single spark motor, and this is a lighter bike:scooter:

fishb8nz
27th October 2006, 00:08
I get that sort of mileage on my F650CS, roadbike, so a much lighter bike ridden sedately on tarmac could get that, easily. Off road, well....