PDA

View Full Version : Two wheels better!

Bob
1st July 2004, 00:43
Well today we have a public transport strike (well the underground system) in London - so people have had a long walk from the mainline overground stations.

Oddly, my ride into work took no longer than usual.

Tonight? Well it'll probably be more of a struggle (the carpark seemed fuller than normal) as people will all be leaving about the same time - but while they're stuck in gridlocks, at least I'll be able to squeeze my way through the gaps and get going.

Thank heaven for two wheels! Means I'll get home while the rest are still struggling to get out of the centre.

bgd
1st July 2004, 03:10
My ride in was pretty much the same as normal, but then I only go as far as Canary Wharf. I understand that central London was pretty chaotic this morning and judging by the lack of scooters in the bike park there was some difficulty in getting through the scrum. (scooters generally being based in London and the bike park normally over populated with the damn things <_< ).

The evening run will be slow to the Blackwall but should be fine after that.

Noticeably fewer people in the office today - must be 'working from home'.

Of course being on a bike I don't get the 'working from home' option :disapint:

Bob
1st July 2004, 03:37
Which way do you have to come in? I head from the East into Central London, so Canary Wharf is one of the places I pass - if I go the docks route (A1020?).

I use the A12 a lot - I join it from the M11 starting point then head right up to just before the Blackwall Tunnel north approach, then head into central London (I work right on the border of the Congestion Charge Zone).

Working from home - yup, I am in the 'Oh you will be able to get here, won't you?' brigade as well... :brick:

jrandom
1st July 2004, 09:09
A perfectly straight-faced thread about today's traffic conditions in London.

On Kiwi Biker.

Spooky.

:wacko:

wari
1st July 2004, 09:24
WEll ... London is under NZ guardianship ...

bgd
1st July 2004, 09:25
A perfectly straight-faced thread about today's traffic conditions in London.

On Kiwi Biker.

Spooky.

:wacko:

It's international this biking thing :yes:

I come in from Kent - M20, M25, A2, Blackwall. Generally pretty fast up to the tunnel congestion.

MikeL
1st July 2004, 09:46
But a worthwhile reminder about something we in Godzone take for granted now.

In my last four trips to Europe I've encountered:
* 2 strikes on the London Underground
* a strike on the Paris Metro
* a strike by the French SNCF
* 2 strikes by the Italian railways
All of which caused inconvenience ranging from minor (walking from Paddington Station to Marble Arch was good exercise, even in the rain...) to serious (spending the night in the unheated waiting room of Basel station while it snowed outside...)

Anyone remember the good old days of Cook St ferry strikes during the Xmas holidays...?

Dr Bob
1st July 2004, 09:56
..... the night in the unheated waiting room of Basel station while it snowed outside...)

Anyone remember the good old days of Cook St ferry strikes during the Xmas holidays...?

Don't remind me, I was down in Picton when they had their last strike (Earlier this year or late last year)