PDA

View Full Version : The joys of taking off your helmet!!

Meekey_Mouse
12th October 2006, 19:17
Lol, I noticed there weren't any fresh threads in here, so I thought I'd start one :D

I'm loving riding out on rural roads, it is soo cool!! But I also love when I have errands to do in town, as whenever I take my helmet off, every one seems shocked I'm a chick on a bike :gob: It is so funny watching their reactions:lol: !! Haha, although not being surrounded by foam is also a plus (although I do like being surrounded by foam when I'm on the road!!).

I'm guessing this is just a normal thing with chicks and bikes, but man does it crack me up :banana:

Hehe, I know this is kinda a non-topic but I'm bored :cool:

Jaz

bobsmith
12th October 2006, 20:12
Can't have a thread started in biker angels section without hundreds of male kbers replying first......

It's "foam" not "fome" :spanking:

Hitcher
12th October 2006, 20:19
Just because it was started in Biker Angels doesn't mean it's can't be Pointless Drivel (TM). This had better be going somewhere. No matter where you may rome, on land see or fome...

Meekey_Mouse
12th October 2006, 20:19
Can't have a thread started in biker angels section without hundreds of male kbers replying first......

It's "foam" not "fome" :spanking:

Thanks for that Bob!!! Will edit right away :2thumbsup

Paul in NZ
12th October 2006, 20:22
Pfft - I take off my full face with a dark visor and people are just shocked.....

Motu
12th October 2006, 21:06
Me too - I roll up on a hoons 2 stroke dirt bike and then take off my helmet.....and they wonder why Steptoe stopped using horses....

diggydog
12th October 2006, 21:20
ive riden in wellington city with no helmet for days in 1968 and it was great fun.:cool:

Steam
12th October 2006, 21:21
Are there any places left in the 1st world where you don't have to wear helmets?

Motu
12th October 2006, 21:39
U....s....a....

Meekey_Mouse
12th October 2006, 22:33
But what happens if you come of, or worse... get hit, without a helmet? Your head would be like a crushed mellon!! I s'pose alot people would be willing to take that risk, am I right?

Motu
13th October 2006, 06:45
One of the reasons I look like I do is because I have ridden and crashed many times without wearing a helmet - let this be as a warning to others!

Panther
13th October 2006, 13:07
hey hows the gsx 250 treating ya?
have you ridden anything else?
what made you pick that as a bike?

ZeroIndex
13th October 2006, 13:16
U....s....a....

..1st world, not everyone else's :beer:

Meekey_Mouse
13th October 2006, 21:22
hey hows the gsx 250 treating ya?
have you ridden anything else?
what made you pick that as a bike?

Hey, It's treating me really well thanks :) I've done almost 400Kms on it so far!

I've ridden RG150's and had a short ride on a ZXR250... personally I like the ZXR more as they have more grunt... but the GSX's are nice forgiving, reliable bikes. I chose the GSX because they are still in (or just coming out of?) production, so parts are cheaper. Also I asked my mechanic who has knowin me since I was like 2yrs old what bike he thought would be good for me... he said a GSX 250 or ZXR250... but as I'm wanting to travell a bit he thought the GSX would be better as I can get a GSX with lower K's for cheaper then I could get a ZXR with higher K's. I know ZXR's are really reliable (if they've been looked after) even with high K's.. but Ijust didn't want to take the chance.

So yeah... lol that's why I chose the GSX :banana:

apteryx_haasti
14th October 2006, 08:01
Pfft - I take off my full face with a dark visor and people are just shocked.....

Having met ya, I can understand why....*drum roll* [F/X - cheesy cymbal crash]

But seriously, folks - I got more of a surprised look yesterday when I let a car trying to get out of a driveway into a queue of traffic. He looked like "BUt I thought bikers were a-holes...."

[BTW, it was one of those streets in Wgtn where it is just not possible to filter/split and ya gotta stay in the queue...before ya gives me crap for being in a traffic queue!]

Colapop
14th October 2006, 08:04
Tinakori Rd? Where there's no space to sit in your lane let alone split....?

apteryx_haasti
14th October 2006, 08:19
Nah - Boulcott Street coming down the hill to turn left onto Willis Street. Not really any way to creep ahead of the traffic there. Guy was wanting out of the carpark under the Majestic Centre....

Hawkeye
14th October 2006, 08:53
[BTW, it was one of those streets in Wgtn where it is just not possible to filter/split and ya gotta stay in the queue...before ya gives me crap for being in a traffic queue!]

Where... Where is the street that you can't split. Haven't you heard of a pavement? Just follow the bike couriers. Then you don't even need to take heed of lights, pedestrians, one-way signs, no entry, or any other form of control.:wari:

Maffoo
14th October 2006, 09:29
im guessing FOAM means Female On A Motorbike?

Beemer
14th October 2006, 19:03
I prefer leaving my helmet on and then no one knows it's me! Besides, when I take off my helmet, I have helmet hair and that's not good...

Meekey_Mouse
14th October 2006, 20:10
im guessing FOAM means Female On A Motorbike?

Haha, does it? If it does.... I had no idea

I prefer leaving my helmet on and then no one knows it's me! Besides, when I take off my helmet, I have helmet hair and that's not good...

Helmet hair is just part of the fun :D

Edbear
15th October 2006, 20:45
whenever I take my helmet off, every one seems shocked I'm a chick on a bike :gob: It is so funny watching their reactions:lol: !!

Now forgive me for asking, MM, but is this a general reaction from everyone whether male or female? Nothing to do with your impish cute face and cheeky grin...?

Panther
15th October 2006, 21:23
Hey, It's treating me really well thanks :) I've done almost 400Kms on it so far!

I've ridden RG150's and had a short ride on a ZXR250... personally I like the ZXR more as they have more grunt... but the GSX's are nice forgiving, reliable bikes. I chose the GSX because they are still in (or just coming out of?) production, so parts are cheaper. Also I asked my mechanic who has knowin me since I was like 2yrs old what bike he thought would be good for me... he said a GSX 250 or ZXR250... but as I'm wanting to travell a bit he thought the GSX would be better as I can get a GSX with lower K's for cheaper then I could get a ZXR with higher K's. I know ZXR's are really reliable (if they've been looked after) even with high K's.. but Ijust didn't want to take the chance.

So yeah... lol that's why I chose the GSX :banana:

Well i rekon you're right about the gsx being a more reliable efficient commuter bike, but how long do you rekon it will take you to grow out of it, i mean power wise, like when do you think you will be ready for a more sporty bike or even a bigger bike?

That was one of the considerations i had when chosing a 250, even though it got to the stage where i just got impatient and purchased the first available bike on TM which happened to be a CBR MC19.

When I got the ZXR i noticed it was more chunky and heavier than the CBR, but had a bit more balls. I don't know how long I will have it for, but because of the market prices of the 250s these days where you see a decent CBR250RR go for $5k, it's worth holding onto my bike until i have my full licence, which isnt far away.

It sounds like your pretty connected with bike people so get some good tyres and someone that knows how to ride to get you going, and keep practicing!

Meekey_Mouse
16th October 2006, 09:55
Now forgive me for asking, MM, but is this a general reaction from everyone whether male or female? Nothing to do with your impish cute face and cheeky grin...?

Lol, nah I think it is a general reaction.... although most guys for some reason seem a bit shocked at first.

Well i rekon you're right about the gsx being a more reliable efficient commuter bike, but how long do you rekon it will take you to grow out of it, i mean power wise, like when do you think you will be ready for a more sporty bike or even a bigger bike?

That was one of the considerations i had when chosing a 250, even though it got to the stage where i just got impatient and purchased the first available bike on TM which happened to be a CBR MC19.

When I got the ZXR i noticed it was more chunky and heavier than the CBR, but had a bit more balls. I don't know how long I will have it for, but because of the market prices of the 250s these days where you see a decent CBR250RR go for $5k, it's worth holding onto my bike until i have my full licence, which isnt far away.

It sounds like your pretty connected with bike people so get some good tyres and someone that knows how to ride to get you going, and keep practicing!

I defintly won't grow out of it heightwise :p but I think in power I will grow out if quickly... possibly in about 2 months. But I think I'll keep it till I get my full, then get either a 400 or a 600, That way I know I wont get in trouble by the coppa's while I'm on my L's or restricted :innocent:

I defintly want to get better tyres for it though!! The ones on it at the moment tend to not "stick" to the road very well, might be because I'm not overly heavy, but that just makes it fun in the wind :D I've found if I lie on the tank in really strong wind it helps put more weight on the front tyre.. therefore helping it not to scoot all over the place.

Jaz

Mr. Peanut
16th October 2006, 12:07
The tyres on your bike are probably as cheap as they get. And your lack of weight increases grip, even if that doesn't seem logical ^_^

:wari:

HerleyRider14
16th October 2006, 12:14
The wind in your hair on a long rural road. who'd forget it?
i reckon there should be a petition against helmet laws to get them banned. i know the government do it for our safety and all but if we're willing to do it - its our fault if we get hurt. we pay taxes to fund injuries, so why not?

:argh:

McJim
16th October 2006, 12:35
:p but I think in power I will grow out if quickly... possibly in about 2 months.

Oh my god I'm really turning into an old fart (if not there already) I've had the VTR250 for nearly 6 months and I STILL haven't grown out of it (i.e. there's still about 0.5mm of chicken strip left that I haven't rubbed off with my cornering!)

My wife took the bike for a spin yesterday - Maverick looking after her - she had a "moment' and dropped the bike in a slow turn. A few drivers stopped to help and she couldn't help noticing their surprise that she was female (she has a flip up front helmet so avoids the helemt hair issues until safely in front of a mirror!)

trumpy
16th October 2006, 13:09
......i reckon there should be a petition against helmet laws to get them banned. i know the government do it for our safety and all but if we're willing to do it - its our fault if we get hurt. we pay taxes to fund injuries, so why not?:argh:

Oh Lord, here we go again....!!??

Str8 Jacket
16th October 2006, 14:03
The wind in your hair on a long rural road. who'd forget it?
i reckon there should be a petition against helmet laws to get them banned. i know the government do it for our safety and all but if we're willing to do it - its our fault if we get hurt. we pay taxes to fund injuries, so why not?

:argh:

Wouldnt it just be easier to be an "Emo"? That way you can just cut yourself and it wont costs us taxpayers so much money....

mstriumph
16th October 2006, 14:17
Me too - I roll up on a hoons 2 stroke dirt bike and then take off my helmet.....and they wonder why Steptoe stopped using horses....

he's dead, isn't he? :(

....... i mean, that would seem like a good enough reason .........?

NighthawkNZ
16th October 2006, 16:10
I'm loving riding out on rural roads, it is soo cool!! But I also love when I have errands to do in town, as whenever I take my helmet off, every one seems shocked I'm a chick on a bike :gob: It is so funny watching their reactions:lol: !! Haha, although not being surrounded by foam is also a plus (although I do like being surrounded by foam when I'm on the road!!).

I like watching a chick take off my helmet... no wait i said that wrong....

Take 2
I like watching a chick take a helmet... errr

Take 3
I like watching a chick take off her helmet too :lol: :2thumbsup :whistle: