PDA

View Full Version : Best cheap battery?

sunhuntin
13th October 2006, 17:35
the battery on the bike is screwed....only bought the bike in 05, done less than 10,000k.
guy didnt show up for work, went to another site to get my boss on the phone. tried to go back to my worksite, and nothing when i tried to start the bike. my "manager" [though hes not!] got me started with a pack, and my boss brought his charger in for me.
he told me the battery is from 2004! i only bought the bike november 05....
so now, i need a new battery. where is the best place to get a cheap one that will last? [$150 limit at this stage?]

marty
13th October 2006, 17:42
a battery should last longer than that. go back to the bike shop and make a warranty claim.

even 'supercheap' car batteries have a 12 month warranty

Ixion
13th October 2006, 17:43
Repco is as cheap as most. But like Mr marty says, should be under warranty, at least for part of the cost

bugjuice
13th October 2006, 17:47
yeah, I'd go back to the shop, should be dead already.
Didn't know Repco did bike batteries..??

Anyhoo, of all the places, the battery isn't really one place you want to go too cheap. It'll die quicker, not charge as well, and you'll be in the same spot next year for a new one.. Kinda get what you pay for..

Ixion
13th October 2006, 17:49
Yup. Not a breathtaking selection but they've managed 3 out of the last 4 for me. As always, best selection at their head place in Mt Wellington. Y' need to know size and amp hours though they don't seem to have any application listing.

diggydog
13th October 2006, 17:54
battery should last a few years, i may exspect there may be a problem with charging gear like altarnator, should be covered in your warranty for at least 2 years.:(

oldguy
13th October 2006, 18:12
I got a new battery for the Firestorm today, would be less than 1/2 price of what a bike shop would sell them for, but it is more of a who you know in the motorcycle wholesale bussiness, so I,m rapped.
But I have this bad feeling it could be something else at fault and not battery

sunhuntin
13th October 2006, 18:13
battery should last a few years, i may exspect there may be a problem with charging gear like altarnator, should be covered in your warranty for at least 2 years.:(

the battery is a cheap jap name....not going to bother going back to the dealer over it...they arent worth my time, and dont care. once they had my money, they didnt want to know me.

the bike has struggled to start in the mornings, but only for the last 3 days, after getting serviced last tuesday....but the charger my boss put on, the green light wasnt even on, didnt start showing till close to 3, when my shift ended.

i might just take the battery out entirely and take it with me...be the easiest i think!

Ixion
13th October 2006, 18:16
Should be $70-80 at repco (I'm guessing but thats around the mark. Huge honking big one for teh BMW was only 4100)

jonbuoy
13th October 2006, 18:18
I got a new battery for the Firestorm today, would be less than 1/2 price of what a bike shop would sell them for, but it is more of a who you know in the motorcycle wholesale bussiness, so I,m rapped.
But I have this bad feeling it could be something else at fault and not battery

Hi oldguy, I had some dramas with my charging system as well. PM me if you want some info or measurments from mine.

Cheers

John

jonbuoy
13th October 2006, 18:20
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=24377&highlight=vtr1000+charging

diggydog
13th October 2006, 18:28
the battery is a cheap jap name....not going to bother going back to the dealer over it...they arent worth my time, and dont care. once they had my money, they didnt want to know me.that's the same old story, espeacilly when they get the money.hope it's the battery only.:(

Motu
13th October 2006, 18:55
a cheap one that will last?

:( Who cares about quality,get me one for the cheapest price,I'll moan about it later.

sunhuntin
13th October 2006, 20:30
:( Who cares about quality,get me one for the cheapest price,I'll moan about it later.

ill be getting the best on i can afford...trust me. i didnt choose the battery that was put in my bike.

ive just got back from another run...starting fine right now, but will likely be a different story in the morning!

What?
15th October 2006, 10:07
A mate in the trade tells me that all batteries on the market in NZ are crap - even the big buck Yuasa ones. Just get a cheapy and relace it in 12-18 months. This should work out cheaper than an expensive one in the long run (costs me well under $40 for a battery for my CB1100 which gets shag-all use - a $160 battery lasts no longer..)
Oh, and shop around for a good price.

scumdog
15th October 2006, 11:16
The last two batteries I had to replace were 8 and 9 YEARS old before they needed replacing.:yeah: :yes:

So sounds like something wrong with your battery or charging system,

MattRSK
15th October 2006, 11:20
I have a brand new battery which I stupidly bought without checking the size to see if it would fit. They wouldnt take it back as I bought it on my trade account. So if it fits its yours for a stupidly cheap $40 or whatever you can afford. Cost about $90.

Superweetard
15th October 2006, 14:19
Dont muck around ,Get a YUASA..a YB10A-A2 is what you need @ $72.95 RRP

The Pastor
15th October 2006, 18:18
A mate in the trade tells me that all batteries on the market in NZ are crap - even the big buck Yuasa ones. Just get a cheapy and relace it in 12-18 months. This should work out cheaper than an expensive one in the long run (costs me well under $40 for a battery for my CB1100 which gets shag-all use - a $160 battery lasts no longer..)
Oh, and shop around for a good price.

Were did u get ur battery from?

sunhuntin
16th October 2006, 19:45
Dont muck around ,Get a YUASA..a YB10A-A2 is what you need @ $72.95 RRP

if i remember rightly thats whats in there!! after my boss charged her, shes run sweet, just a bit of trouble starting tonight after work...weather permitting ill get her out for a long-ish ride tomorrow...havent been taking her out much lately due to huge work hours and being too tired on my day off.

What?
17th October 2006, 05:55
Were did u get ur battery from?

From a mate in the auto-leccy wholesale trade. Sorry, but not a good idea to be more precise than that.