PDA

View Full Version : Calling all riders with flip-face helmets

ninjac
13th October 2006, 21:32
What do you think about them? Are they noisyer than full-face?
Would you get another one next time?

WINJA
13th October 2006, 21:34
Helmets Are For Poofs

NighthawkNZ
13th October 2006, 21:36
What do you think about them? Are they noisyer than full-face?

I haven't had a full face in about 15 years??? ummmm and my next helmet will be a fliplid... as for noise my Nolan is pretty quiet... but cant comment how quiet as the only other helmet I have is my old BMW oldschool flip lid which was pretty noisey compared to todays technology

Rogue Rider
13th October 2006, 21:41
I would have to say they are a little noisier, also not quite as comfy, but they are sure useful for stop starts or answering phone and the like. Also nice to flip up at gas staions.
I would have them always, but have a spare open face for cruising, the trusty nut cup.

silverado
13th October 2006, 21:52
Got mine 2 and half years ago when I used to smoke. Handy for morning smoke whilst riding to work:2thumbsup . I don't smoke anymore but handy at Service stations etc. First helmet so can't compare for noise levels.

heyjoe
13th October 2006, 22:10
Am on my second Nolan flip front helmet now and there is a bit of noise but no helmet can totally eliminate noise. Everybody seems to have differing opinions on what is acceptable or less acceptable. It's a bit like the opinions that people have about big Harleys with aftermarket pipes. Some find the noise is ok and some think it is too loud.

As far as quality goes I believe the Nolan flip front helmets are very good quality helmets. There are cheaper flip front types out there but you need to take a good look at fit, hinge mechanism, locking mechanism, design, etc and you will see they differ.

Go down to a bike shop with a reasonable selection and try as many on as you can. When you narrow it down spend some time with it on so you really get a feel for its fit and weight.

gijoe1313
13th October 2006, 23:37
I tried on just about every flip face helmet I could get my hands on, found they didn't really suit me until I got a Zeus off Retardme. Absolutely love it! The road noise is a bit more compared to my old HJC but I like the noise!

The convenience afforded by the amount of times when I didn't have to remove my lid was magic. Flip the face and away you go! And it was in a colour that I was looking for ... from what I noticed, quite a few have D-rings attached whereas my model has a snap-lock release (which is handy dandy too!)

Steam
14th October 2006, 06:34
I have decided not to get one because it's just too too convenient. See, I am lazy and won't bother to take it off, and so I would walk around the supermarket with it on and look like a dork and not be able to pick up hot single mommas.
The full-face forces me to take it off, thus exposing my attractive noggin, thus pulling, scoring, breeding and then retiring.

Grahameeboy
14th October 2006, 07:03
I have decided not to get one because it's just too too convenient. See, I am lazy and won't bother to take it off, and so I would walk around the supermarket with it on and look like a dork and not be able to pick up hot single mommas.
The full-face forces me to take it off, thus exposing my attractive noggin, thus pulling, scoring, breeding and then retiring.

So you got a nice helmet then..!!!!!

dawnrazor
14th October 2006, 07:21
hmmm. the cops are fond of flip face lids eh.........

The Pastor
14th October 2006, 07:23
I wear a m2r one becuase its MUCH easier when wearing glassses, I wear ear plugs on trips over 1hr when ever I can, I got the wrong size helmet when I bought it (forgot that the foam compresses over time) so a correct fitting helmet would help with the noise in my case, but In my experiance (getting back to the question) I think that there is way to many veriables to directly compare flip ups and full face. I also belive that flip faces are almost the same as full face in terms of noise, I havnt had the pleasure of saying "gosh this flip face helmet is so much noiser than my other full face helmet"

I like it a hell of a lot, I dont like helmets (only reason I wear one is to stop the wind in my eyes lol) and its fun to ride around town with the flip bit up then flip it down when you get over 50km.

On my one it has a standerd D fasnening chin strap lock, I much prefer the seat belt lock type thats on my old helmet for obvious reasons.

ninjac
14th October 2006, 07:35
:lol: good stuff.
Thanks for the input guys.

pritch
14th October 2006, 12:17
What do you think about them?
Are they noisyer than full-face?

1. I used to have a BMW one (I threw it in the rubbish this morning).
People who wear glasses find them handy People who do long distance rides might them good too, it being easier to shovel food into your face while the gas tank fills etc....

2. I believe so, especially at speed.

3. I now use a Shoei so I guess the answer to that is no.

Lou Girardin
14th October 2006, 16:38
I've used then for a few years now, wouldn't go back to a full face.
The Schuberth is quieter than most full face lids, the Nolan is as good as most.
The only problem with many cheap flip fronts is that the chin bar does not meet impact tests, so they are certified as open face lids.
The old story really, you get what you pay for.

Skyryder
14th October 2006, 16:42
I've got a Rex. The only problem with flip ups is if you are rideing with it up and for some reason it falls halfway down it may block your vision. So you gota make sure that the tilt is nice and stiff. Riding with the visor up can place undue strain on your neck due to the wind resistance but on the up side of that it's an easy way of doing neck exercises.

The real advantage is that it's about as close as you can get without riding with a helmut. Great for city commutes. But as I said you just gota make sure the flip up does not slip down.

Skyryder

diggydog
14th October 2006, 16:55
was going to buy a helmet like flip up, made me wounder if they would be better than a full face.

slimjim
14th October 2006, 17:01
Hi, shazzygirl here, riding a 250. I have a Davida flip top and its awesome. I can get up to 100 kms with the top up, but after that it gets a little hard on the neck. Doesn't whistle or let in any air either. Best flip top brand that I have come across. My mate had another brand and it's visor flipped up at 100 kms and whistled like hell. Hope that helped ya. And another thing the helmet is good for glasses if you wear them, don't have to take them off to put the skid lid on!

slimjim
14th October 2006, 17:09
You could get one of those that just has the skid lid without the visor etc. My mate has one of those and they look cool with the shades on! Shazzygirl.
:banana:

Ruralman
14th October 2006, 20:48
I have an HJC flipper - when its a calm day its quiet, on really windy days you need plugs on the highway. I have made some mods to my screen which seems to be helping reduce turbulence and noise.
I really like the convenience of the flip front for all the reasons others have mentioned. I would buy another one but would probably go with a Nolan as it has a safer catch mechanism in the event of an impact and the owners all seem to think they're pretty quiet. They are also well set up for using various electronics and Communication stuff.

What?
15th October 2006, 09:40
I have a Nolan N100. Great for commuting, but not comfortable (to me) for more than an hour at a time. It is quite noisy, and draughty (so not good on frosty mornings)
No. I would not buy another.

Pogo2
15th October 2006, 16:30
Had a N100 for about 6 years and find them really good, however always wear earplugs as a matter of course. Great on really hot days as sometimes I'll will ride with the lid up (no supposed to I think) When this one is due for replacement will defininately go for another Nolan. I like the sound of the VPS so will have to pop in and met/see Lou.:cool:

scracha
15th October 2006, 19:12
Shoei Syncrotech 2. Louder than the XR800 I had. On short journeys I take the flip up but for distance work I use a conventional skid lid. Not sure of the legality of riding with it open BTW. Wearing ear plugs means the noise thing isn't an issue.

far queue
15th October 2006, 20:05
Shoei Syncrotech 2. Louder than the XR800 I had. On short journeys I take the flip up but for distance work I use a conventional skid lid. Not sure of the legality of riding with it open BTW. Wearing ear plugs means the noise thing isn't an issue.I currently use a Shoei XR800, which is due for replacement. I'll be going with a flip up this time around, as I believe it'll be a good compromise for adventure rides. After trying on everything available and reading a few reviews I settled on the Shoei Syncrotec 2, only to find that by the time I'd finished dithering, they've gone out of production. They've been replaced with a new model, the Multitec. The local shop's supposed to have one in this week, so once I've tried it on I'll order the colour I want. I wear earplugs on the longer rides anyway, so the noise wont be an issue.

Thanks for your help the other week Lou, I'll be in touch.

Edbear
15th October 2006, 20:31
I tried on just about every flip face helmet I could get my hands on, found they didn't really suit me until I got a Zeus off Retardme. Absolutely love it! The road noise is a bit more compared to my old HJC but I like the noise!

I bought a Zeus as well and I like it, but wonder if maybe it's a bit heavier than a conventional full face contributing to neck strain on longer rides. Having said that, I returned to biking after a long illness when Id' been in a wheelchair so was extrememly weak and now I'm gettting stronger it's not such a problem. Just need to ride more and build up the neck muscles, eh?

I do find it's not too quiet, but then I wear earplugs and it's not a problem - just miss the full sound of the bike when it's "on song".

ninjac
15th October 2006, 20:38
Has anyone got the KBC FFR?
If so what's it like?

Lou Girardin
16th October 2006, 06:11
Shoei's new Multitec is quite a smart looking lid. Not as many features as the Nolan N102, and it's dearer. But it comes with a spare graduated visor and a Whisper kit.

Zukin
16th October 2006, 06:41
I have the Nolan N102, and it is fantastic.
I looked at almost every flip helmet when I was buying a new one.
The FFM etc and the other cheaper ones seem to have a less than satisfactory mechanisim? Just try them out in the shops you will see what I mean. Dont know what would happen if it hit the road in an accident??
I tried the Shoei on, again a very nice helmet, but didnt quite feel right on my head :(

I love the sun visor on the Nolan, I use it all the time.

scracha
16th October 2006, 08:42
Shoei's new Multitec is quite a smart looking lid. Not as many features as the Nolan N102, and it's dearer. But it comes with a spare graduated visor and a Whisper kit.

Even the bottom end Shoei's are quality kit though. I guess it depends on the shape of your head too. Only major downside to them is the ridiculous cost of replacement visors. I tend to get 2 or 3 at a time on Ebay.

gijoe1313
16th October 2006, 15:56
I bought a Zeus as well and I like it, but wonder if maybe it's a bit heavier than a conventional full face contributing to neck strain on longer rides. Having said that, I returned to biking after a long illness when Id' been in a wheelchair so was extrememly weak and now I'm gettting stronger it's not such a problem. Just need to ride more and build up the neck muscles, eh?

I do find it's not too quiet, but then I wear earplugs and it's not a problem - just miss the full sound of the bike when it's "on song".

Yep, sounds like more riding and getting the lid on the ol'noggin will solve that problem! Any excuse to get the bike out "I have to build up the muscles in my neck and...body...by...riding...riding lots! Yes, I wore an ipod playing tunes but found it intefered with hearing my bike purr away. Just wondering, do you know where to score more visor replacements in case of scratchies?

Biff
16th October 2006, 16:05
I used one of these for a few years: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-justissimo/

I don't know of any Caberg distributors in NZ, but they regularly get 4 star reviews in the UK bikie press. A decent helmet, if a little heavy. The 'Top Gun' flip down sunnies are wheeeey cool.

Mrs Biff loves hers.

Forest
16th October 2006, 16:34
I have a BMW flip helmet (can't remember what series it is).

Definitely one of the better lids I've owned. But the replacement visors are a complete and utter rip-off ... over $120 for a piece of clear plastic???

Edbear
16th October 2006, 17:08
Yep, sounds like more riding and getting the lid on the ol'noggin will solve that problem! Any excuse to get the bike out "I have to build up the muscles in my neck and...body...by...riding...riding lots! Yes, I wore an ipod playing tunes but found it intefered with hearing my bike purr away. Just wondering, do you know where to score more visor replacements in case of scratchies?

Well that's what I tells the Missus, anyways....:2thumbsup

Can't remember where I got it, now, I think from Cyclespot in Barry's Point Rd. Takapuna, they had a special deal going on a full outfit, (have now too, according to the latest KR mag). So they may know. Mine is still in pretty god nick, though the beading around the visor has come loose.

crusa
17th October 2006, 18:54
Ive got a nolan N101 a little noisey but i like to hear what the bike is doing has good ventilation if you want more air flip up the clear visor .I dont ride with the lid up as thats dangerous if you come off.I like the sun visor ($45.00 for a new one) doesny effect the aerodynamics when up.I would buy another one,have tried the schubert but it is a tight fit didnt like it.my next flip up will be a nolan with the comms kit fitted.It could be a bit lighter but have got use to it.