PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Rims

disenfranchised
14th October 2006, 17:33
I was giving my bike a bit of a scrub today, and was especially wanting to clean up the rims.

The front one cleaned up fine, all the road and brake dust was fairly easy to wipe of with some standard carwash detergent. The odd spot here and there needed a small scrub with a toothbrush.

When it came to the back rims it was an entirely different story though.
The outer layer of dirt would come of just like on the front, but the back rim is covered in little black spots, which I suspect are bits of grease flicked off the chain.

I tried scrubbing harder..... I tried a household degreaser, but the spots don't seem to want to budge.

I'm pretty sure the rims are cast aluminium. (Hysosung GT250)
They seem to have absorbed the grease and retained the colour

Has anyone got any ideas on how the spots might be able to be removed?
Or do I just have to live with them, or do something expensive like getting better rims, or having the rims painted?

James Deuce
14th October 2006, 18:30
Kerosene.

A tooth brush.

A soft cloth.

Have fun.

Back Fire
14th October 2006, 18:34
CRC 5.56 works good for me

imdying
14th October 2006, 18:34
Kero for the win. Paddock stands ftw too.

diggydog
14th October 2006, 18:56
CRC 5.56 works good for me
kero doz the trick as well, ii must say i've a chain and dont have a problem, all though i use a chain wax to preserve chain.:banana:

WINJA
14th October 2006, 21:51
Grahameeboy Said Frosty Is Best At Doing Rims

ceebie13
16th October 2006, 16:26
WD40 every time. Never used owt else. Infact, unless the bike has really been through the cack, I rarely use soap and water. Mind you that was when I had the ZX9 and it was pretty easy to keep clean. The CB13 might prove to be a very different story though!

HDTboy
16th October 2006, 16:36
I like to use soap, and a bit of high pressure water. Brushing and solvents are too harsh in my opinion

DEATH_INC.
16th October 2006, 16:40
you're doing WHAT to your rims??