PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli diablo strada Tyres

Yarg
15th October 2006, 14:47
has any one had any experience or tried these tyres. main use is touring

toymachine
16th October 2006, 09:21
Henderson Motorcycles are chucking a Pirelli Diablo on my rear tomoro, hopefully it's a decent tyre.. though anything will be better then the cheap originals it had on. (even 20-30kph 4th to 3rd etc would lock in the wet)

I'd be keen to know anyones experience with these too..

terbang
16th October 2006, 09:27
I had the combination of Diablo on the front and Diablo strada on the rear of my ol 1200 Bandit. Managed to securely remove the chicken strips on the rear and also got good mileage (around 8000k's). Good in the wet as well. I had previously had a regular Diablo on the rear and it basicly fell apart in 4000 k's where the strada was much more robust. I like to keep a higher performing tyre on the front as I can wear the back being a bit loose with a slightly more durable compound on the rear also satisfying the scotsman in me.

MSTRS
16th October 2006, 09:27
No. But this makes them sound ok http://www.shopmonkeys.com/pirelli.htm

Big Dave
16th October 2006, 09:28
has any one had any experience or tried these tyres. main use is touring

I have some on the Buell at the moment. They seem to do everything well and are lasting OK. Nothing remarkable 'feel' wise, but no complaints either.

I like the corsas better, but they were far too easy to puncture - had a nightmare run with them - stradas have been better so far on that front.

Fatjim
16th October 2006, 09:57
Pretty cool tyre, up there wiht the best at the mo.

I'm running diablos front and rear, but have had no problems running the strada on the rear as well. All the diablo road tyres seem to have the same profile, and have no issues mix and matching the corsa/diablo/strada's

From what I've seen the Strada is one of the best touring/sport tyres out there. IE. way better the a battleax 020.

terbang
16th October 2006, 10:16
There are those that will never mix tyes front to rear and fair enough. I have my Busa setup with Avons. A Viper sport on the front and an Azarro ST (touring) on the rear. The Avons take the fairly severe punshment that the Bus dishes out quite well, even 2 up. The factory fitted Bridgestones just fell apart and never really made me feel all that comfortable with their performance. Not that I am bagging bridgestone as I have had great runs with BT010's in the past. It all depends on you and your bikes riding style as to what you end up with and there are plenty to choose from. A lot of people are very brand loyal (its a human thing) where I tend to look at the spec or intent of the tyre when it comes down to choosing what I want. The brand is really much of a muchness.

Fatjim
16th October 2006, 11:20
Bridgestones are shite!

Quasievil
16th October 2006, 11:30
NEVER mix and match tyres.
In the wet particulary the front aids the rear tyre in water removal, this is true with the Pirelli Diablos, the front and rear are designed to work together as one, putting one type of tyre ie a Diablo and then putting a bridgestone or even strada on the other end is a stupid thing to do, and at the end of the day how much are you saving by putting your bike at risk?

Blackbird
16th October 2006, 12:10
There are those that will never mix tyes front to rear and fair enough. I have my Busa setup with Avons. A Viper sport on the front and an Azarro ST (touring) on the rear. The Avons take the fairly severe punshment that the Bus dishes out quite well, even 2 up. The factory fitted Bridgestones just fell apart and never really made me feel all that comfortable with their performance. Not that I am bagging bridgestone as I have had great runs with BT010's in the past. It all depends on you and your bikes riding style as to what you end up with and there are plenty to choose from. A lot of people are very brand loyal (its a human thing) where I tend to look at the spec or intent of the tyre when it comes down to choosing what I want. The brand is really much of a muchness.

I run B load rating Azarro's on the 'bird and am on my 3rd set. There's an improved version just been released in the UK which has a performance somewhere between the Viper and the existing B spec Azarro. I'm trying to find out when they're coming down this way.

ninjac
16th October 2006, 12:15
Had a ride on dads 1200 Bandit with stradas. I gave it heaps and didn't have any loose moments. Wear appears to be very good.

Fatjim
16th October 2006, 12:23
NEVER mix and match tyres.
In the wet particulary the front aids the rear tyre in water removal, this is true with the Pirelli Diablos, the front and rear are designed to work together as one, putting one type of tyre ie a Diablo and then putting a bridgestone or even strada on the other end is a stupid thing to do, and at the end of the day how much are you saving by putting your bike at risk?

Are you saying a corsa/diablo on the rear would dispell more than a strada if the fronts a corsa.

Tui ad!

Quasievil
17th October 2006, 08:49
Are you saying a corsa/diablo on the rear would dispell more than a strada if the fronts a corsa.

Tui ad!

Im saying the Strada is not a Diablo, it is a different tread pattern entirely, you should not have a strada rear with a Diablo front

Strada
http://www.nwa.co.nz/P_Thumbs/diablostrada.jpg (http://www.nwa.co.nz/product_detail.php?P_ID=312)

Diablo
http://www.nwa.co.nz/P_Thumbs/diablo.jpg (http://www.nwa.co.nz/product_detail.php?P_ID=310)

Two different tyres and they are NOT designed to work together.

Fatjim
17th October 2006, 09:49
I think you've been reading too many sales pamphlets. If however you've read books written by tyre engineers or attended training by said engineers I'd bow to your greater wisdom.

"Never mix or match tyres" sounds a bit dogmatic to me.

Quasievil
17th October 2006, 09:56
I think you've been reading too many sales pamphlets. If however you've read books written by tyre engineers or attended training by said engineers I'd bow to your greater wisdom.

"Never mix or match tyres" sounds a bit dogmatic to me.

3 years marketing manager for Pirelli motorcycle Tyres in NZ, countless training seminars and countless readings, bow down Mr Fat Jim:yes:

The_Dover
17th October 2006, 10:08
marketing.

says it all to me.

Fatjim
17th October 2006, 16:47
I'll bow, but in the quiet knowledge that in my experience marketers know shit.

Still don't believe that horseshit about wet weather performance of the rear tyre though.

Sparky Bills
17th October 2006, 16:50
Each brand and model tyre is disigned to work with the matching front or rear.
Dont mix brands!

SO THERE!!

The Strada's are bloody awsome! NUFF SAID!

Fatjim
17th October 2006, 17:01
Hang on Sparky, you're saying don't mix brands, Quasi's saying don;t mix tyres.

I'm soo confooosed

Sparky Bills
17th October 2006, 17:09

I'm soo confooosed

The Diablo range can be mixed, as the tread is designed to go with each other.

Eg: A Diablo front and a Diablo Strada rear are a Pirelli approved mix.

A Pirelli Diablo rear and a B/stone B020 rear will not work well together.
The treads are designed to do different things.
Make sence.

Tread is everything!

MSTRS
17th October 2006, 17:16

A Pirelli Diablo rear and a B/stone B020 rear will not work well together.
The treads are designed to do different things.
Make sence.

Tread is everything!

We kinda know what you mean. I think.

Fatjim
17th October 2006, 19:08

Prove it!

10 chars

Quasievil
17th October 2006, 19:19

I'm soo confooosed

Yeah thats what Im saying, Brands and Tyres shouldnt be mixed around.
I dont know about the comment from Sparky with relation to Strada and Diablo being mixed approved (not in the industry anymore) I would have thought not though, and anyway why would you? whats wrong with the strada combo? if you want stickier rubber go into the diablo or the Diablo Corser.

Pirelli says from the website under FAQ

Do I need to match my motorcycle front and rear tyres? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/)
Definitely, if you want to get the maximum handling and performances out of your bike!

So Im not sure where they say its okay to mix a diablo with a Strada not saying they dont , but Im interested to find out where, I certainly wouldnt do it.

terbang
17th October 2006, 19:31
Like I said before your tyres can be adjusted to suit your riding. If you do lots of 2 up then it makes sense to have a more durable compound on the rear. And the Diablo and Strada combination works well just like the Viper Azarro combination does as well. I have mixed and matched tyres for years (so I guess by saying that I am stupid according to Quasi) even mixed brands on occasions and have not had any problems. However I will not put a higher performing compound on the rear. I never say never and am suspicious of those that do, especially when they call others stupid in the same sentence.
Tyre companies also have a desire to sell their products as well.

The_Dover
17th October 2006, 19:33
to the best of my knowlege then tread and brand don't matter for shit but you should have matching profiles

one end tipping in quicker isn't gonna handle well.

but i know fuck all and just ride the bike

Quasievil
17th October 2006, 19:37
so I guess by saying that I am stupid according to Quasi

Sorry didnt mean to direct it specifically to anyone.

However the day manuafacturers say its okay to mix and match will be the day I will consider it.

Mind you some people could ride on a 245 rear and a 120 front and with their riding style wouldnt notice the difference, so I guess it depends on how you ride and what you use your bike for

toymachine
18th October 2006, 07:41
Turns out the ones I got were regular Diablos... ah well, i'll know to ask next time.

He said run them in for 100kms or so before giving it shit... but even with the preservative crap on them they grip better then the one on the rear before :shit:

Fatjim
18th October 2006, 12:01
"run them in for 100k's or so" probably comes from the same place as "never mix and match your tyres"

We live in a blame avoidance world. No critisism directed at anybody in particular.

Zapf
18th October 2006, 13:25
Got a set of Strada's fitted last week and have put 2400km on them since, rode in the wet / dark / dry / day and I like them.

They grip well and once warmed up they grip even better. I'll buy them again as the next set for the CB900

Huntaway
18th October 2006, 15:42
I'm running a Diablo on the front of my R6 and a Strada on the rear. Not sure how many k's I've done on them now but the Strada is lasting really well, and, its not wearing to quite as square a profile as other tyres have tended to do with all the Canterbury straight running I do (the Strada is a dual compound tyre). The rear can slide a little when cold or when stressed, e.g. powering hard out of a tight turn but nothing really to make your sphincter pucker. Will try a regular Diablo on the back when eventually I need to change it but suspect I will be disappointed by compromise on wear

terbang
18th October 2006, 16:29
suspect I will be disappointed by compromise on wear
You will, they tend to fall apart fairly quickly. Though they do perform..

Cycletreads
20th October 2006, 13:03
Prove it!

10 chars
Diablo front on thr 16" Blade front ,no 16 ' Stradas available . Strada on the rear . Steered beautifully gripped well wet and dry going around the outside or up the inside of knobs on corsaa , nuff said.:Punk: