PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove stickers/decals

Badcat
2nd July 2004, 19:58
hey.
can anyone suggest something to dissolve sticker adhesive?
i'm (very slowly) taking the last of the decals off the gs1200 and my fingernails hurt....
ow.
preferably something that doesn't take the paint off.....

Ken

DEATH_INC.
2nd July 2004, 20:18
Use a heatgun,be careful and keep moving

Kickaha
2nd July 2004, 20:57
Use a heatgun,be careful and keep moving

Heat gun is a bit harsh if you get to close,a hairdryer is better.

Grumpy
2nd July 2004, 21:13
Ah those lovely Suzuki warning stickers. Some prick at Suzuki gets a laugh every time he sticks one of those bastards on.
I've found that the other problem besides the way they come off in little pieces is Suzuki's paint does seem to mark pretty easy so I've always done it the hard way.... a bit at a time then used a little bit kero to help it on it's way.
Then finish up with a cut and polish.
A bit time consuming but better that than marking up your nice paint job on your new pride and joy.

Badcat
2nd July 2004, 21:27
yep - did those.
now taking the "GS1200SS" stickers off the tail section.
then i'm looking at that chrome.....
ken

Redstar
2nd July 2004, 21:39
I took a sticker off a car jap import rubbish sticker. the heat gun blistered the paint a tad in one spot so when it cooled I used some alcohol isopropal to soften it up (I had some left over from the home bake project) I Jest again :D
but white spirt will do. cause even when you get the sticker off it usually leaves the backing gum residue behind and short of sandpaper alcohol based is least harsh I suggest. Or you could leave the sticker on, sell the bike and buy a Kawasaki! then you'll have all the right decals on :D

Gixxer 4 ever
3rd July 2004, 16:08
a bit at a time then used a little bit kero to help it on it's way.
Then finish up with a cut and polish.

Petrol works well. Hard and harsh but with a polish after the glue is off it comes up fine. :eek5: I know many people will growl but I give the bike a petrol wash from time to time and then repolish and it look s good. :cool:

pete376403
4th July 2004, 00:22
Eucalyptus oil (get it from a chemist) is excellent at getting adhesive residues off. I have used it on computer equipment (ie plastic cases) and it won't damage the paint or the plastic. (It won't lift the decal on its own but it get the goo left behind)

Hitcher
4th July 2004, 14:49
A hairdrier works really well for "plastic" stickers (like what dealers use). Some stickers (like the ones that manufacturers put on the tank telling you to wear a helmet and only use 91 octane gas) are sometimes laminated. A hairdryer will take off the top laminate. Then it's best to use your fingernail or a credit card in combination with good old kerosene.

MadDuck
4th July 2004, 21:07
have to say I perserved the hard way. Fingernails and not water. It took an age but finally I am rid of the famous sticker:

"Wear a helmet, Dont ride after consuming alcohol, Read manual" ....without damaging the paint at all.

ahmmm but finger nails are now F*&^ed. Oh well dont them need them anyways!

merv
5th July 2004, 07:48
You already have the stickers off I gather and its only the adhesive you now need to get off so I'm not going to tell you about hair dryers like above, but what does work brilliantly is Simoniz Liquid Diamond car polish - it just dissolves the goo and once you have rubbed it all off with the polish soaked cloth, then just use a nice dry clean cloth to polish the paint nicely.

scumdog
5th July 2004, 07:55
Commercial "Bug and Tar Remover" is good for getting the glue off, so is "prepsol" as used by paint shops.

If the decal has clear laquer over it you are in a bit of trouble, wet-sanding for a bit then a rag with prepsol placed over the decal works but go slowly.

marty
5th July 2004, 11:27
prepsol is good, but it's primarily for removing oil based stuff. crc 5-56 sprayed on and left to soak works, as will kero and iso propyl alcohol. petrol is ok, but i would use kero first (i have access to plenty of kero). don't use acetone, mek or paint thinners - they'll work the fastest, but root the paint too.

Devil
5th July 2004, 11:34
For getting rid of the gummy shit, use De-solve it.
Dont be tempted by the lovely citrus smell though, its doomy!