PDA

View Full Version : Dss3 Vmcc Rd 6

dss3
15th October 2006, 17:29
Was great to be back at Taupo! No 5 hour drive to get to Manfield made for a nice change. Thanks to Nicko and Mason I had a some tyre warmers and a generator to use for the round.

Took a bit of getting grips with the bike for some reason this race. Didn't feel that comfortable on the bike in the morning. Had a big slide in turn 4 (right hander over crest) where both wheels slid out, was sure I had crashed, then knee must have taken some weight and tyres gripped again. Pretty scary. Qualified in 7th, but didn't feel like I was going fast by a long shot.

Race 1 got a demon start and was third out of turn 1. Was a bit ragged on the first lap and John and Bruce got by, thought I would sit in behind Bruce, but missed a downshift on the straight, leaving me in too high a gear for a while and Sugilite came past. Then was in behind Suglite for a few laps, I was quicker in a few positions, but couldn't get the pass to stick. Had heaps of fun dicing with him though. Last lap and I out braked myself down the straight and did some dirt tracking, decided to finish with a wheel stand across the line.

Race 2 and an OK start, sitting in behind Suglite again. I felt confident I would be able to get passed this time. Then on about lap 2 I thought, shit, this is only a 5 lap race, better push a bit harder. Straight away through turn 4 I had a big slide exiting, then it gripped and i had a mean highside, straight over the bars, landed hard on arse, then heels whipped in to the ground. Checked that the R1 wasn't about to hit into me, and crawled off the track. Bugger all damage to bike, just a rearset, and I have spares anyway. Most importantly I was only left with bruised heels, very stoked about that. Just can't put any weight on heels today, and tippy toeing everywhere! Made a 2K rowing test interesting!

Was great to see so many KB'rs out there yesterday doing so well in all classes. Particularly Bruce in Superbikes. Amazing how many of us have taken up racing in the past 6 months.

Thanks as always for the support from Quasimoto, Waikato Yamaha, and Shaun Harris.

I have now decided to re-evaluate my racing, and have concluded I won't be racing anymore now. I'm no longer prepared to risk broken bones and damage to my body. Also the cost is quite high for what you get from it (2 races a day.) I intend to still ride, do trackdays, and maybe even burgle the odd clubmans field! But I won't be pushing 100% on the bike anymore. At 95% I feel fine, but that last 5% you need to race at the front in Superbikes is bound to lead to the odd spill, and I'm not willing to do that anymore. So now I will be concentrating on my rowing 100% instead, with our nationals in February.

Here's a couple of pics of the heels this morning, brusing starting to come up.

Catch you all around
Daryl. :2thumbsup

MattRSK
15th October 2006, 17:35
Cheers for the report mate. Glad to see you came out of the highside not too badly injured. Sounds like you have had to make some tough choices, but respect for that.

-Matt

Rossi Gal
15th October 2006, 17:37
Always a pleasure to watch you guys race. Such bad luck about ya off. Bestest of luck wit your rowing..hope you kick arse!! :)

Racey Rider
15th October 2006, 17:49
Rowing?

Really??!

:corn:

Wouldn't it have been better to just say, your Mrs doesn't like you racing? ;)

You could always come and join us 'pretend racers' in the 150 class. :hug:

Torque
15th October 2006, 18:24
Well mate sounds like you have made your mind up and I will miss watching you out on the track:( . You are a very talented rider and all the top riders I talk to are very impressed at how well and fast you ride. You make some of the riders with much better bikes look like pussys!!!
Riding the R1 the way you do is a real achievement mate, awesome skill. I think if you were to put a better front suspension and a good shock on your bike you would have way less offs. You push that R1 way past its limit and that is why you can ride with some of the top riders in F1- but they have better equipment for the job.
I remember the first time you rode at Manfield and took pole, all the guy's up in the stands were blown away with the fact you were riding a standard R1. It really will be a shame to see you stop but i can really understand. Maybe one day when you have some cash to throw at your bike we will see you back on the track. :yes:
Cheers Rob.

Two Smoker
15th October 2006, 18:27
You fucking homo... not only do you ruin my only good start by getting the race red flagged, but you are giving up racing because you are a pussy... "Blah blah blah, im scared of breaking stuff... cry cry cry :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: "

But as i said on the phone, dont fully give up on racing, give it a bit of a break and you will get the itch again... Respect your decision and good luck with your rowing :niceone: Think your racing and thoughts of crashing because of being on the edge will be helped by doing the fork internals and whacking in the ohlins rear shock...

Sketchy_Racer
15th October 2006, 18:56
Great stuff watching you man!

You were doing amazing on a bog stock R1. Thats something you should be DAMNED proud of!

Its a shame to hear that your gonna ditch the racing thing now, But best of luck in your rowing man.

You could always do as suggested 150SS if ya got the need for some on track racing...

Good shit....

vtec
15th October 2006, 20:38
You know, I've only raced a few time on Supersports, but you're right. If you want to be the best you have to go full throttle through so many dodgy parts of the track, I'm still setting this time of my racing aside for learning, so I'm still being a pussy in places where I feel unsafe. But the thought has crossed my mind about when I do start to get competitive, will I be willing to take those extra risks. With the red veil... for sure, but how much will I regret it from my hospital bed.

Becoming a great racer has become a dream of mine, so when the time is right, I WILL put my balls on the line... but that won't be for a while yet, I'm still in the pure fun mode.

You my friend are an extremely talented rider, and I respect your decision. But I won't be dissappointed if/when you come back to showing us the way.

Mental Trousers
15th October 2006, 20:57
Shame to hear that you're not going to be racing anymore. But given your other interests and how racing (and crashing) can impact them it's easy to see why you're not willing to do it anymore. It sure is a huge money hole.

Racey Rider and Two Smoker may be onto something though. Take some time out then go back to racing in the fun classes maybe.

Shaun
16th October 2006, 05:54
DSS, what a waste mate, you have so much talent and have been great to watch this year, riding that bike in stock condition at the speed you have been doing has been nothing shy of brilliant as far as I can see

A lot of your crashes have been due to you over riding your bike, you are a goerrrr mate

I would love to be able to put you on a propally set up bike and see what you could do, I know you are hard enough to take the knocks that come with this sport, it must be a finance thing that has helped you make this choice

Arrr what a waste

kickingzebra
16th October 2006, 07:58
Bro, You are an inspiration!
Can understand the dollars thing, but didn't realise it wasn't the only competitive discipline you are involved in!! You the man!
Thanks for putting up with me bugging you, and helping me out here and there.
You still gonna come down and watch these races?

A terrible strike for team Muppet!

Hope those feet get better soon, and you kick arse at rowing!

slowpoke
16th October 2006, 08:25
So you are as good, if not better, at rowing than you are on a botor mike? Motherfukker, I hate people like you!!!!

Nah, go with your heart mate, do what you have to do to get where you wanna go.

I've really enjoyed the small amount I've seen of your racing. It really has ben inspirational for us wannabee's putting our cautious toe in the water when hear you are leaping in boots an all. Pity there's been a fair bit of leaping off as well!

I'll missing having a good kack over your race reports too, somehow the rowing reports just aren't going to cut it: pull, gasp, pull, gasp, pull gasp, pull, gasp etc followed by a hearty "Thank phukk that's over!"

Good luck with whatever you do.

cowpoos
16th October 2006, 08:59
you fucking tit....did you know that you and bruce were the reason I decided to race....I always looked at it as a elite sport for the gifted few...and I'm not taking away the fact that you have some amazing talent...as does bruce...

I started reading your guys race reports and hearing about your antics....and though to myself...fuck if these clowns can do it...bloody hell I should give it a go...the results you guys were achieving and laid back attitudes towards it made it look easyier than it is...and once I started I realise that shit,this ain't no walk in the park....these guys in superbikes are playing for keeps....and what makes your story remarkable is that your riding a stock bike...[which for some strange reason doesn't want to break]...

you've obviously lost the fun in your racing....tis a bloody shame....I hope you enoy your rowing.....but I hope more than that you make a return to the track.... seeya around sometime dude...

babyB
16th October 2006, 09:01
agrees whit what Shaun said.....
been watchin you a long time will miss seeing ya out there:(
Respect at ya DSS :yes:
i wish you well with ya rowing & your future endevers

loosebruce
16th October 2006, 09:08
Fuck bro, what could've been eh. setting up for a good weekend, one little slip on the gas and yea, we've all been there at one time or another.
With Poo's too, i thought TL's were tough bikes but that R1 is still kicking it okay.
Not sure what i'm going to do without you out there, might have to give it a miss myself :weep: just wont be the same.
Understand your reasons behind the rowing, great challenging sport to push yourself, and you have another reason to go rowing lol, hope that all works out for ya.
Give it a couple of weeks or so, and i'm sure you might be itching to get back into it, stick it to a few track days and maybe throw in the odd club round, it'd be wicked to have you at the streets though bro, reckon it'd be a race worth doing. Time will tell.

Catch up soon enough, take it easy twinkle toes :Pokey:

HDTboy
16th October 2006, 09:13
A massive blow for Team Muppet. You're an inspiration DSS, have fun with your rowing, and I'll see you at the track again I'm sure.

dss3
16th October 2006, 09:22
Cheers for positive posts guys. I certainly didn't put this up just to get everyone to say, 'oh Daryl, your good, please don't go' yadda yadda.

Regarding the money, it's not that big a deal, I mean, I can afford to race without relying on sponsorship, but at the end of the day it's fair amount of money to be putting in without any return. I guess the return is the enjoyment, but I can get that from other things that don't cost as much.

I had a great time racing the R1, from my first time out at Puke in March or so this year, with bike in total road trim and taped up lights, right through to now, where I have pretty much got all my shit together. Loved doing the VMCC, definitly felt I improved as a rider a huge amount throughout the series. Was a buzz for sure! Huge highlights just being on the same track as Stroud, Harris, Sherriff's and co. Wasn't long ago I couldn't keep Bruce, Motoracer, Twosmoker and co. in sight on the road for more than a few k's, so am really happy to have improved to the point where I aim to beat them on the track.

Thought about doing another class, but whatever class I did I would want to win, and therefore would push as hard as I could, putting myself back in same situation.

As mentioned I'm sure having some decent suspension on the bike would help my times and reduce the crashes, but at the end of the day there's still a fair chance of crashing and injuries. I would be SOOOO spewing if I broke a collarbone or something and had to spent months recovering again.

Also I really enjoy physical sports, the hard training, gym work and running etc. Direct correlation between how much effort you put in training and how well you perform. Rowing deffo has that, as I found doing a 2km erg (rowing machine) test yesterday! 5.30 am trainings are taking a bit of getting used to though!

Will deffo try and make it to a lot of rounds to support and help out all of you guys and gals (pit bitch), and will still be doing KB/track days etc etc. So will keep in touch eh!

Daryl.

Deano
16th October 2006, 14:17
All the best Darryl. Tough decision. See you round mate.

kiwifruit
16th October 2006, 14:27
That was a surprise man :shit:
I hope you get back into it one day, there are not many people who can ride a really fast bike really fast.

emaN
18th October 2006, 10:49
Dude!
just seen this thread...

just so you know, I've been hearing a few people lately realise their 'humanity/vulnerability', so you're def not alone.

really enjoyed watching you out there on trackdays & racedays.

dss3
18th October 2006, 11:28
Dude!
just seen this thread...

just so you know, I've been hearing a few people lately realise their 'humanity/vulnerability', so you're def not alone.

really enjoyed watching you out there on trackdays & racedays.

Cheers, will still be doing trackdays :yes: :rockon:

R6_kid
19th October 2006, 12:17
Whats your 2k test time? And who do you row for? I scored a 6min 31sec back in the day.

Each to their own, I chose riding over rowing, even though i probably have more skill/luck with rowing than i do with riding.

Motoracer
22nd October 2006, 14:27
I was shocked when Bruce told me the news.

What a waste indeed...

I'd just like to say though that I'll always remember your achivements this year for as long as I'll have my memory. For them, I will have fuckin maximum respect for ya brotha. You'r performance has been incredible!!

All the best for your rowing venture and I hope you do well in it.

Catchyou on a road ride or a track day some time. :)