PDA

View Full Version : Two Smokers Race Report VMCC Rnd 6 10/06

Two Smoker
15th October 2006, 19:37
Hey everyone...

Bugger all sleep, still recovering from being sick... But had a new shock to try out and new tyres to scrub in...

Qualifying 600 Supersport: Having done two sessions at a track day on this circuit, i pretty much knew which way the track went. Rear shock was awesome, better for getting on the power. Qualified 4th place with a 1:45.6 behind Craig Sherriffs, Jay Lawrence and Dave Manuall, but had Shaun Harris, Jason Hulme and Darren Wheeler hot on my heels...

Qualifying Superbike: Upped the pace a little bit more, but still not confident of the front end under brakes (vibrates alot, i think the discs are warped) and qualified 9th just behind Shaun and my mate old dss3...

Race 1 600: My starts are very weak, and thats no good when you are on the front row of the grid. Well true to form (a form that is going to change quickly) I got a crap start and got swamped back into 8th place behind Geoff Booth. Quickly passed him then got stuck behind Darren Wheeler, Darren rides well and is bloody hard to pass. Finally got past him at the end of lap 4 but by then the group i wanted to be with (Shaun, Jason and Dave) were about 200 metres infront of me and i couldnt make that gap in 2 laps. Crossed the line in 6th place with a best time of 1:42 flat.

Race 1 Superbikes: Missed this race due to Milky and I not getting my rear tyre changed in time (i fried my pirelli in the previous race)...

Race 2 600s: Got an even worse start this time. And got stuck behind Geoff Booth, Derek Hill and Glen Williams. Got past them but by then Darren was too far infront to catch. I ended up doing a slow lap times because on not knowing how far i could lean it over with mis matched tyres and a bad gear choice (as well as poor riding)

Race 2 Superbikes: Finally got an ok start, and held my position. Was right behind Darren Wheeler and dss3. Made a couple attempts on Darren and they didnt stick but i knew i could do it. Then Dss3 did the decent thing and crashed infront of us (missed the highside, but saw the huge amount of rolling you did) causing the race to be red flagged (Cheers mate :niceone: But glad you were all sweet...). Got a shocking start on the restart and got stuck behind Derek Hill and some guy on a CBR1000. Eventually got past them both with in a lap, but due to that i had an impossible big gap to catch up.

I desperately need to work on my starts and will be finding a deserted place to practice them. I still need to up the pace alot. Im not very good on the brakes (it shudders when lent over Im pretty sure its the discs now) but i think im mainly the problem, and i wasnt getting on the power early enough at all. One thing i was happy with was braking into turn 6, where i had the rear floating, and half clutching it. I couldnt brake any later than that with out running wide.

Thank you to Chloe, Milky, Shaun, Aaron and family and Trev.

Was good to catch up with Hayden Fitzgerald and meet some new KBers.

Bruce you were flying and it was wicked to see you get a second place :niceone:

Sketchy_Racer
15th October 2006, 19:52
Awesome stuff Mate!!!

Can't wait to see what ya can do once ya get them starts sorted!!

good shit!!!

erik
15th October 2006, 20:01
Cheers for the report. :niceone:

Race 1 Superbikes: Missed this race due to Milky and I not getting my rear tyre changed in time (i fried my pirelli in the previous race)...

Are you guys changing tyres by hand or did you have a spare wheel or something?

Two Smoker
15th October 2006, 20:05
Are you guys changing tyres by hand or did you have a spare wheel or something?
Yeah by hand, but it took way longer than it should have...

vtec
15th October 2006, 20:11
Nice riding man, I've got a fair way to go before I'm up to your level, and by that time you'll have improved heaps again. Dammit.

P.S. How do you know if your tyres are fried? I've never changed them on my 600, and the previous owner did a fair bit of time on them too.

Two Smoker
15th October 2006, 21:15
Nice riding man, I've got a fair way to go before I'm up to your level, and by that time you'll have improved heaps again. Dammit.

P.S. How do you know if your tyres are fried? I've never changed them on my 600, and the previous owner did a fair bit of time on them too.

The tyre starts tearing up, usually where the tread is... here is an example of a really bad one...

Sensei
15th October 2006, 21:25
Incorrectly set up Shock can give that effect as well . But Just my poor
2 cents worth ~!

vtec
15th October 2006, 21:37
The tyre starts tearing up, usually where the tread is... here is an example of a really bad one...

Yep, I'm getting that on both sides of my rear... but I have been ever since I got the bike. Still as long as there's enough meat on them, I'll keep using them while I'm just getting used to the bike. Once I think I'm ready to ride hard and competitively on the bike, I'll look at getting replacements... Also I want to have tyre warmers before I get new tyres, that way I keep the heat cycles to a minimum... that's one thing I have learnt about race tyres.

Cheers for the pic.

loosebruce
16th October 2006, 09:25
Nice one Chris, good to see you staying on the bike more often now, a handy habit me thinks. Didn't see a hell of lot of you out there, apart from watching ya in the F2 racing. Catch you up bro.

cowpoos
16th October 2006, 09:29
Got a shocking start on the restart and got stuck behind Derek Hill and Ryan Withers on a CBR1000. Eventually got past them both with in a lap, but due to that i had an impossible big gap to catch up.

I don't ride no bloody honda thou you tit......and I was behind you....I got a awesome start but you crossed my path and I almost ran into you....letting 5 bikes including motobob get past me....

oh and good shit bro!!!! I'll get you next time!!!

babyB
16th October 2006, 09:35
cool write up again good on ya

dss3
16th October 2006, 10:33
Nice work, you were looking heaps more confident on the bike than I have seen the last few times, not having any spills for a bit must be working...

kickingzebra
16th October 2006, 10:45
Good stuff out there! some real consistant racing! Nice not to see you go down in a pool of sparks!! Good stuff bro!

emaN
16th October 2006, 10:57
Well done dude! Good way to finish off the series tho, innit?

Looked good along pit straight!..:lol: (wanted to walk 'round the circuit a bit to get more footage/photos, but had a mates with me who were 'ready to leave'...:weep: )

Got some vid of you boys coming outta the last corner...looks & sounds wikkid!

The Tazman
16th October 2006, 11:10

From my experience with my friends racing in the UK that is definitely suspension that is causing that. I am far from being an expert and it is only my opinion from helping them.

It may be worth looking into more seriously as I know when my friends sorted it out things went a lot better.

Good on ya for the report and staying up (from what I’ve read :D)

To come First…..First you have to finish!!!!!

All the best to you and all the other racers

Taz

sugilite
16th October 2006, 12:36

A great effort Chris, looks like you are getting back into the groove now :banana:

I did a load of tyre testing on Friday and it appears Taupo likes super soft fronts and quite hard rears. The moment I went from a medium soft to a soft rear, the tyre started immediately ripping up like the one in your photo.

Keep up the good work, your looking good for the nats!

GSVR
16th October 2006, 12:45
Looks like where seeing a return off the Twosmoker of old (possibly even a new faster improved version). Very impressive qualifying.
All the best with your racing future Chris

kickingzebra
16th October 2006, 12:52
I did a load of tyre testing on Friday and it appears Taupo likes super soft fronts and quite hard rears. The moment I went from a medium soft to a soft rear, the tyre started immediately ripping up like the one in your photo.

Second that, you saw my shagged SC0 but went to an SC2 on the race day, and it performed beautifully!!!

Don't know all the other equivalents, but pretty impressed with that, I thought it would be a write off!

Any thoughts on what compounds for other tracks Sugilite? Thinking of ordering my tyres for the south island rounds, and will mostly be on SC1s I suppose, don't want to be pulling tyres off every 5 seconds cause they are rooted!

Two Smoker
16th October 2006, 20:17
Cheers for the comments everyone :niceone:

Its not the suspension that is the problem... I put on a Michilen Power Race and had no tearing up at all... The Pirellis have great stick, but that track just seems to make them tear up at the tread points...

Ill give that a go Sugilite... But i did have a SC2 on the rear

Another thing ill be doing is changing over the brake discs to some others i have... That should sort the vibration...

texmo
16th October 2006, 22:44
Thanks for lending me that rear set dude wouldnt have been able to race with out it. Also thanks for all the help you have given me so far with getting sorted and what knot and letting me come around at late hours to get my bike and shit.
Bro and Real consistant lap times man just looking at the first SS race and your times were
1:47:255
1:43:250
1:42:245
1:42:098
1:42:835
1:42:712

Posh Tourer :P
17th October 2006, 07:55
Good on ya Chris......

Looking forward to coming home and seeing you race.....

Maarten

sugilite
17th October 2006, 21:47
Any thoughts on what compounds for other tracks Sugilite? Thinking of ordering my tyres for the south island rounds, and will mostly be on SC1s I suppose, don't want to be pulling tyres off every 5 seconds cause they are rooted!

Well I'm no expert, but I think that the same tyres that work at Manfield also work at Ruapuna and Levels. I think Invercargill needs a harder rear having that long left hand sweeper.

Cleve
18th October 2006, 09:44
.. I put on a Michilen Power Race and had no tearing up at all... The Pirellis have great stick, but that track just seems to make them tear up at the tread points...

Ill give that a go Sugilite... But i did have a SC2 on the rear.

My Pilot Sports rip up at Manfield but are smooth at Taupo. I still don't get it...:confused: :confused: :confused:

Motoracer
22nd October 2006, 15:25
Good work Chris. Congrats on staying on two wheels on the 600 finally! Hope this trend continues.

What does it feel like to beat Shaun Harris in a race? :D

Will catch up soon.