PDA

View Full Version : RG100!! race report - VMCC Round 6 - The finale

Sketchy_Racer
15th October 2006, 19:49
VMCC Round 6 - The finale

First things first.

A HUGE HUGE thank you goes out to these people:

To the organisers - Without you guys this whole awesome season of racing would have never of happened. Cheers guys

To the Marshalls - Thanks for you time and energy of hanging around a race track for all those long days, especially the long wet miserable ones. A huge shout out to you guys and gals!!

To my Parents - Thanks for all the support wise words and help getting to the track.

To my new Supporter - CanBrace. They have come on board for this last round and have supplied me with desperately needed gear. PLEASE check out www.canbrace.com PLEASE help out those who help out us

To an Un-named KBer - Thanks Mate for all you help. I can't thank you enough. You support really helped me to get out there and get going. I can't thank you enough.

To the Juggins (Ivan and Co ) - This awesome family dragged along an extra bike for the first three rounds, Just for me. This is dedication to helping out new racers. Big shout out to these guys

To ALL the awesome people I have meet over the last 6 rounds, for all the helpful tips for all the support and all the great attitudes especially in crappy situations. Absolutely awesome

And, To my bestest mate, my buddy, old pal. MattRSK….. You’re a legend mate

Now to the racing!!

Qualifying:

I got 1 full lap in for qualifying.

In the second 'fast' lap my right hand side fairing decided it had had enough of being on the bike and tried to dismount. That wasn’t so bad, but it was stuck at an angle that I couldn't get any lean going on the right hand side without grinding my fairing. A quick shoot to my pit, which seems like miles when you are in a rush to get back out there. Got it back on with a zip tie and got back out there, but alas it was too late to get a good lap time…. So I thought
To my (good) surprise, I had still managed to pull myself into third on the grid….. Awesome

Not so bad. BUT Neil Chappell was ahead of me and on the left of me meaning he got the inside line into turn 1.
At the beginning of this round I was 3 points behind him. I had to beat him in both races to get into second in the series. It wasn't going to be easy. And it wasn't either.

Race 1
I thought I would try my technique of last round at Manfeild and actually let him stay in front of me off the start, so that I could come across and go up the inside of him under brakes.
This worked well and I was on the inside, but he wasn’t gonna give me this placing. He shut the door big time. Nice move on his part. I followed him for the next two turns until I got to my fav corner of the track. It's Turn 4. Semi fast coming over a rise then dropping off. Neil ran wide here, so I took the risk and nailed it up the inside. Damn it was a hairy moment. As I came over the crest, my bike did the hugest slide ever. I thought it was all over. I just held it smooth, didn’t do anything to unsettle the 'smooth' slide, and it stop just short of the grass.

Now the next turn. Another awesome corner. I nearly binned it here to. I went in so hot. The only way around the turn was to lean it over and just be smooth. That was great, until my peg, chamber, fairing, and leg got in the way of the ground and the back wheel came off the ground and went sideways. It came back so hard. How I didn't go off the highside, I do not know. But it was close. The rest of the race was pretty tame. I ended pulling a 10 second gap on neil with a best lap of 2:02.xxx

Race 2

This time I got an excellent start and was ahead of Neil for the whole race. At one point I had another 250 having a go at me down the straight, but I out braked him something shocking after the straight. Turns out he binned it later anyways.

So second in this race aswell!! Best lap time of a 2:02.5- Not bad for a 150 streetstock commuter bike lol

So. I managed to beat Neil Chappell in both races.

We all know what that mean! Yep, SECOND PLACE YEEEHAAAA

I'm still buzzing out now!!!!

Gots a trophy even!!

Later guys,

Glen :2thumbsup

MattRSK
15th October 2006, 19:54
Hey Glen,

Its been awesome coming out to support this year. You have taught me heaps about racing. So I will see you out there next year on my [insert bike name here].

Well done for getting a second placing. You did really well considering its tough been a 150 against a 250. Shot for that.

- Matt

Racey Rider
15th October 2006, 19:58
Good stuff Glen. You deserved it. Well done.

Sketchy_Racer
15th October 2006, 20:02
Shot Matt :niceone:

Thanks alot Racey. It's such a shame that you couldn't have made it up mate.You would have done well on the twisty taupo track. More corners ;)

vtec
15th October 2006, 20:07
Yeah good riding man. It's hard to remember who to thank when you've got all those people looking at you when you collect the award, I know that I stuffed up.

In that second race, it took me a fair while to shake you properly. Good shaizer.

Skunk
15th October 2006, 20:10
Excellent result Glen... Good on ya!

You going to Manfield this Saturday?

Sketchy_Racer
15th October 2006, 20:11
haha, Yeah man. Its hard when ya up there aye!!

You had that damned CBR FLYING man. fastest ive ever seen you ride that!!

Can't wait to see you progress so much more on the 600 once you get off the 250 and get into the 600 racing mind set!!

Sketchy_Racer
15th October 2006, 20:12
Excellent result Glen... Good on ya!

You going to Manfield this Saturday?

Comon.

Of course i am man!!!

The question is, are YOU coming!!!:banana:

Skunk
15th October 2006, 20:18
Yep, depending on the weather. I'll be taking the bucket... Need a lift?

Sketchy_Racer
15th October 2006, 20:21
ummm.... I might just take you up on that. you see, I want to do both days, but dad will only take me up on one of the days..... dif dif :p

Coyote
15th October 2006, 20:22
I envy you like crap man :p

Good job :niceone:

Sketchy_Racer
15th October 2006, 20:24
haha, thanks Dan.

But don't envy me. Your as good a rider, just unfortunant to have some bad luck coming into your racing carrer ;)

vtec
15th October 2006, 20:25
haha, Yeah man. Its hard when ya up there aye!!

You had that damned CBR FLYING man. fastest ive ever seen you ride that!!

Can't wait to see you progress so much more on the 600 once you get off the 250 and get into the 600 racing mind set!!

I found it a lot easier on Taupo than on Manfeild, even though it was very unfamiliar, as the surface was near perfect and extremely grippy, and I just found myself increasing my lean angle till I had my arse nearly on the ground, and the pegs scraping at the same time, they are nicely sharpened now.

Oh yeah, that was a sneaky jump start you got in that second race :buggerd: . I thought I'd buggered up my launch, cause you got ahead of me off the start... very sneaky.

Thanks for the ego boost re: the 600 :2thumbsup

I've thought about what you were saying about your future race class. I think Streetstock might be fruitless for you, cause you would be on your own. 125's are a pain to run and maintain and setup, but in the right hands can give awesome results. However, 125's are also a bit of a dead end, as you have to learn to ride a largish difficult 4 stroke if you want to progress your racing career. If I was you I would go 4 stroke ASAP, you're still very young, so now is the time to adapt before you get too used to 2 stroke. You may have noticed that the MotoGP guys all went from 2 stroke to 4 stroke, but the difference there, is that they get track time every single day of their lives to learn how to ride their bikes fast. You won't get that, so you have to start to learn how to ride big 4 strokes ASAP. Just my 2cents.

I have found that going from the 250 to the 600 was a huge step, and I nearly crashed because I just wasn't strong enough for the 600 on the last lap of my last race, my arms just couldn't turn the bike in for the chicane any more, and I went straight across the grass at about 100k/hr, and was lucky to rejoin unscathed AND hold my position... freaky. I'm going to be working out as often as possible. In comparison the CBR250 was a breeze to ride, and I could probably do 100 laps before my arms started to pack in, while leaning it further than the 600 anyway... I'll get there.

Sketchy_Racer
15th October 2006, 20:32
I Have still got alot of thinking about what i am going to be doing.

Also i don't know how much money i can get together for racing......

It all depends on money, but we shall see how much i can get for selling all my bikes.

k14
15th October 2006, 20:51
I've thought about what you were saying about your future race class. I think Streetstock might be fruitless for you, cause you would be on your own. 125's are a pain to run and maintain and setup, but in the right hands can give awesome results. However, 125's are also a bit of a dead end, as you have to learn to ride a largish difficult 4 stroke if you want to progress your racing career.
Why does everyone think 125's are so much maintenance???? Beats me. I have yet to find someone who OWNED one for themselves say that.

This argument has been had on numerous occasions here on kb and I know I'm repeating myself but look at all the young guys up the pointy end of 600's. ALL of them (bar Hayden Fitzgerald and maybe 1 or 2 others) started out on 125's. Its not a dead it class. They still have two wheels, still have the throttle on the right and clutch on the left. You make it sound like its light and day.

Stop spreading the bullshit!!!

P.S. Good stuff RG. Hope you don't listen to all this misinformation around here and make the proper decision about your future racing.

vtec
15th October 2006, 21:00
Hey man, you can't tell me that a 125 cc two stroke is easier to run and maintain than say a 150cc streestock machine. Firstly the engine is putting out 45 Hp from 125 cc's... that's 360hp per litre... now bugger me if you aren't going to have problems keeping that going. The maintenance schedule is a bitch, and if you don't do it, your only going cost yourself more money.

I've talked to plenty of people about 125's, and I have asked them what is required. And regular rebuilds is part of that. Secondly, you constantly have to play around with jetting to suit different tracks.

Thirdly, when you have to take a machine apart and put it back together as often as you do a 125 gp bike, all sorts of things can go wrong. I've seen it happen plenty, they have reliability issues because there is so many different places where human error can affect them aswell.

Leonie Rogers is one person that I have got my mental image of the RS125 from. And I've seen what has to go on in the pits... what a mission for a beginner bike.

However, the results can be impressive... ie. Jay Dibbens. But I've heard there has been huge investment in his machine... third hand info, so I don't know how true it is.

I'm guessing you've got a 125gp bike for sale?

Four strokes is what he will end up racing, so I agree, let him make an informed decision on what he thinks is a suitable class. Just know that my opinion is also allowed to be taken into account aswell as yours.

Two Smoker
15th October 2006, 21:04
I've thought about what you were saying about your future race class. I think Streetstock might be fruitless for you, cause you would be on your own. 125's are a pain to run and maintain and setup, but in the right hands can give awesome results. However, 125's are also a bit of a dead end, as you have to learn to ride a largish difficult 4 stroke if you want to progress your racing career. If I was you I would go 4 stroke ASAP, you're still very young, so now is the time to adapt before you get too used to 2 stroke. You may have noticed that the MotoGP guys all went from 2 stroke to 4 stroke, but the difference there, is that they get track time every single day of their lives to learn how to ride their bikes fast. You won't get that, so you have to start to learn how to ride big 4 strokes ASAP. Just my 2cents.

Jay Lawrence, Sam Smith, Nick Cole... Just a couple names i can think of off the top of my head that did 125's...

Well done Glen on the second place in the championship :niceone:

vtec
15th October 2006, 21:08
If he was in Europe, hell yeah, I'd say 125's are good way to go, but in NZ we just don't get the numbers in that class. Nearly all (not all) of the good riders are in Superlite Superbike and Supersport. He would end up on his lonesome in the 125's, and I don't think that is such a good thing.

P.S. Did I mention I'm just not a fan of having to run any 2 stroke... having owned an ex-racing Pepsi replica RGV250 as my first ever motorcycle.

k14
15th October 2006, 21:12
If he was in Europe, hell yeah, I'd say 125's are good way to go, but in NZ we just don't get the numbers in that class. Nearly all (not all) of the good riders are in Superlite Superbike and Supersport. He would end up on his lonesome in the 125's, and I don't think that is such a good thing.
Well i rest my case then.

Yes all of the good riders are in superbikes and supersport, but I ask, where were they 2 or 3 years ago??? Don't think I need to answer the question for you.

P.S. Yes I have got a 125 for sale at the moment, its very likely that it is going to a fellow kber. I don't like the insinuation that the only reason I'm talking them up is because I have one for sale. I am saying it cause its the truth. :beer:

vtec
15th October 2006, 21:15
Well i rest my case then.

Yes all of the good riders are in superbikes and supersport, but I ask, where were they 2 or 3 years ago??? Don't think I need to answer the question for you.

P.S. Yes I have got a 125 for sale at the moment, its very likely that it is going to a fellow kber. I don't like the insinuation that the only reason I'm talking them up is because I have one for sale. I am saying it cause its the truth. :beer:

Hehe, it was a good guess though. I'm still sticking to my opinion that 4stroke is the way forward.

If I was rich and had the time, I would love to get a 250gp bike, because the gp 2strokers are the best cornering bikes in the world, and that is where you have the fun. But IN MY OPINION they are just too damn impractical for people on very ordinary budgets, and with limited time, and to end up in a class where there is very limited competition... the limited competition being the biggest hindrance.

There is a net loss of 125 gp bikes every year. But that's good in my opinion, as it makes it more obvious as to which classes you need to race in.

And yes, it is light and day the difference between riding a supersport and riding a 125, despite the fact that they can often do similar laptimes... I should have addressed that earlier. It's light and day even between the CBR250 and the CBR600... a massive difference that will take me more time to make up. The difference isn't so much getting used to the power, but much more getting used to the handling characteristics, and getting strong enough to be able to ride the 600 fast.

Sketchy_Racer
15th October 2006, 21:16
125s are a great motorcycle. No doubt about it.

I am very keen on one.

But there will be alot of thought put into this decision.

Thanks for awesome replys guys!!!

- Oh and feel free to express you feelings about what bikes a re good etc... the more i know of peoples opinions, the better ;)

mikey
15th October 2006, 21:27
a good bike is a stolen one. second sucks. haha

vtec
15th October 2006, 21:30

You're a funny sack Mikey. A stolen bike is only good if it seriously injures the dickhead thief riding it... I think I better stop polluting Glen's thread now.

texmo
15th October 2006, 21:59
Cool bro, Congrats with the second.
As for the 125's well one beat me in SS so they cant be all bad.
Aint shaun harris building up a couple of sv650's?

Sketchy_Racer
16th October 2006, 08:06

Second's better than not racing.... Ya meat sack....:Pokey:

Oh and Tex,

Yeah mate i heard about those 650s. But once again, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

texmo
16th October 2006, 08:17
Second's better than not racing.... Ya meat sack....:Pokey:

Oh and Tex,

Yeah mate i heard about those 650s. But once again, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Leave school get two jobs and take out a bank loan. Soudns like a plan to me.

Sketchy_Racer
16th October 2006, 08:20
Have left school. Got a good job, to young to get a loan.

Damn

texmo
16th October 2006, 08:22
Get a second job. You can get a loan if your parents will sign one little bit of papper. saying that if you dont pay they will....

Sketchy_Racer
16th October 2006, 08:32
parents?

Signing to give me money?

You, my friend, are a funny funny person :killingme:

Sparky Bills
16th October 2006, 09:23
You did bloody well to beat Neil. He was pretty fired up, so to stay ahead of him you must have been flying!

Good shit bro!

Now go put on some weight you skinny bastard, so that fatter heavier people can keep up!:whistle: (not looking at Neil at all!:2thumbsup )

texmo
16th October 2006, 09:31
parents?

Signing to give me money?

nah just signing to say that they are liable if you dont pay, which you will so there is no problem.

Sketchy_Racer
16th October 2006, 09:43
You did bloody well to beat Neil. He was pretty fired up, so to stay ahead of him you must have been flying!

Good shit bro!

Now go put on some weight you skinny bastard, so that fatter heavier people can keep up!:whistle: (not looking at Neil at all!:2thumbsup )

haha. cheers bro

But, If i am to be going to 125s, i'll be trying to loose a few kg not put more on!!

Neil is a great sportsman, i was AMAZED at his awesome attitude even after he had lost the 2nd place. Great guy he is!!

babyB
16th October 2006, 09:48
cool write up RG well done
congrats to ya:2thumbsup

Sketchy_Racer
16th October 2006, 09:52
Thanks BabyB !!

It was a great day!!!

Sketchy_Racer
16th October 2006, 15:30
-News Flash-

I just found out that my fastest lap of the day was a 2:01.331

That was done in F3.

I recon that a 1:59 could have been achieved if i had some more track time!!

Sparky Bills
16th October 2006, 16:07
haha. cheers bro

But, If i am to be going to 125s, i'll be trying to loose a few kg not put more on!!

Neil is a great sportsman, i was AMAZED at his awesome attitude even after he had lost the 2nd place. Great guy he is!!

Come check out the 125gp bike we got in our shop!
Its the one the boys from Hi Torque have been talking to you about.

Sketchy_Racer
16th October 2006, 16:31
Yeah, I might just have to do that.

I like the look of it on the website pics

Ivan
16th October 2006, 20:34
congrats and good on ya and its ok bike was there and yeah,

MattRSK
16th October 2006, 20:36
congrats and good on ya and its ok bike was there and yeah,

I don't understand pig latin Ivan.

Sketchy_Racer
17th October 2006, 17:45
Got some pics now :yes:

I look like a mamoth on the lil 150!!

Sketchy_Racer
17th October 2006, 18:07
Oh yeah, that was a sneaky jump start you got in that second race . I thought I'd buggered up my launch, cause you got ahead of me off the start... very sneaky.

For everyone wondering about this statement,

Yes i did jump the start. It was a honest accident.

When i do my starts, I do not look directly at the flag. I keep my attention on the race track ahead of me. When i see a green flicker in my prehiperal (Sp) vison, I go for it. Unfortunantly, the wind was quite bad this day, and i mistaked a gust of wind, which made the flag flicker, for the start flag.

I have spoken to neil chappel and i wass happy to take the 10sec time penalty that comes with a jump start. He said that was not neccessary.

Thanks,

Glen

cowpoos
18th October 2006, 13:13
way to go bro.....when are we gunna see you on a sv or a 600?

Sketchy_Racer
18th October 2006, 13:24
Cheers man,

mmm 600.....

Well the only way I'll be riding one of them anytime soon is if someone gives me one.

I think i might steal mikeys though....

Its not like its worth anything, haha, The fact that the honda stickers improves the bike, means he should be trying to get rid of it anyway!! :Pokey:

Ivan
19th October 2006, 20:26

P.S. Did I mention I'm just not a fan of having to run any 2 stroke... having owned an ex-racing Pepsi replica RGV250 as my first ever motorcycle.

Hey Bud,

Sorry to say it but 125s aint much maintenance they are reliable as long as you keep a log on the parts hours which last you a season minimum and the whole glen would be on his lonesome i dont know what you are meaning here if i am reading this the way it sounds you are going to say he is going to clean up not dissing glen but he aint as fast as adam or jay dibben,
Now the pit thing have you ever been in my pit I set my jets up in the morning set my gearing up mix my fuel and oil and race it no blowing up
Yes my engine has blown but that was due to a over life crank

vtec
19th October 2006, 20:47
No I didn't mean that he was going to clean up. It's just everyone seems to settle into their own pace, and with the small numbers in 125, it's just much less likely that you are going to have anyone around your pace... I've seen the gaps in the 125 field, usually there are only a couple that end up kicking it with each other.

I'm sticking to my guns that I wouldn't want to do two stroke gp maintenance.

Sketchy_Racer
20th October 2006, 07:56
well, to be honest,

As small as the class is, and the maintainec,

I cant wait to get one.

Its a real RACE bike. not a crappy road bike that has been put on the track, but a RACE bike, with suspension that works, and an engine that is easy to work on.

Yeah sure you have to change jets every now and then..... I'll probably just run mine quite rice for the first season, so althougn i might lose some power, i won't have to piss around changing, because it is going to run too lean.

Once i start learning how to ride the bike, then i'll get more into getting the bike to run at optimum power.

Im gonna go find out what a 600 is like tomorrow, hopefully....

and maybe even a 125 :yeah:

-RG

Ivan
20th October 2006, 08:52
yes good call,

The 125's are actually a real good class I love them yes my results this season have been shocking and I am frustrated with myself,

Now the whole run it rich for the first season dont do that come over to my pit talk to my dad and he will give you abit of help on the jetting he knowshow to run them perfectly
Suspension is good
Frame is light and turns quick
Engine easy to work
A 125 would suit you and me and you may end up in some battles:rockon: