PDA

View Full Version : Off-road advice

fazer
15th October 2006, 20:28
Want to get into some trail riding, and need a reasonable bike to get started on. As a 50 (ish) year old, I have a bit of road experience, but a advice as to wot is considered a reasonable trail bike to get. Had a look at a s/h Transalp, not bad, but can that be compared at all to a suzuki DR650? Can the Kawasaki KLE500 be thrown into the same pot? Probably would like the Dakar but is too expensive to throw down a track at this stage. Would be grateful for any comments/opinions to swing my mind. Thanks

far queue
15th October 2006, 21:18
This (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33922) should about cover it for you. Have a read and get back to us ...

fazer
15th October 2006, 22:34
Thanks for that Far Queue, both interesting and helpful. In same position as Bartman 10, I suppose availability/cost will be the deciding factor rather than the desire of a particular bike.

clint640
16th October 2006, 07:50
Do you mean trail rides as in the purely offroad organised rides with lots of singletrack & hard options (the usual definition), or trail rides as in adventure riding on tarseal, gravel & the odd 4x4 track?

If you mean adventure riding, since you already own a nice bike for the road & don't have much dirt experience I'd be looking at the lighter smaller, single cylinder, dirtier end of the spectrum, at least at first while you build up a few skills. DR(Z)250's and XR250(L or R)'s are reasonably common in road legal trim.

Of the 650 class machines you mentioned, I'd go for the DR650 hands down. A reliable bike with good dirt manners, lighter weight & much more droppable than the KLE, T/A & F650.

Cheers
Clint

Transalper
16th October 2006, 11:34
I was thinking exactly what Clint640 said.

fazer
16th October 2006, 19:25
Thanks for that. Went and had a look at a drz 250 today, must admit it was light and probably the more sensible choice to learn on. Would like to try the DR650 just to satisfy my own mind first, if I can find one. (pretty sure will be either of those).Also following the other trailie thread with interest,

Ruralman
17th October 2006, 19:54
I'd also agree with Clint's comments. When you get on the DR650 lean it over standing still until its about halfway to the ground - how well can you lift it back up again??. If you want to do serious trail rides, and there are heaps of good organised ones to go to, then you want a light bike and bloody good tyres.
The bigger 400's and 650's have an advantage on the road getting there but on tight trails the 250 will keep up and be a lot easier on you, especially when things start going pear shaped.
Forget the T Alp and the F650 - too heavy, but an F650 Dakar in the right hands and with the right tyres is very capable mount, until it gets very tight or you need to pick it up or push it.
Personally I believe the best road legal trail bike is a Gas Gas EC300 but that is probably outside your price range as well.
Another bike you can sometimes pick up quite cheaply is the Kawasaki KLX 250, late 90's, many had electric start, they're quite capable trail bikes but many have never seen any serious trail work and just used as commuters.

fazer
17th October 2006, 21:48
Want to try the easy stuff first, see if I like it, and attempt not get hurt too often! I realise I have to make a compromise between having enough power to get to the trail, but light enough to enjoy the offroading side. Perhaps the 400 is the answer. Looked at a Dakar, not a lot about, don`t know if the availability of spares would be an issue.

clint640
18th October 2006, 07:44
As long as you're happy with the seat height a DRZ400 could be a good compromise, given the learner licence factor in 250 prices they'll often be found at not much more $$ than an equivalent 250. With a redone seat & bigger tank the DRZ makes a good lightweight adv tourer.
XR400's are a good rig too but don't have the electric start which is essential for a learner on any single bigger than 250 I reckon.

Availability of BMW parts is quite good, the prices however... bend over & apply plenty of vaseline... The F650/Dakar's are one of the most street comfortable single cylinder adventure bikes out there & at 193 dry kg definitely the heaviest, which is not really what you need while learning.

Cheers
Clint

Garry.W
18th October 2006, 09:27
The F650/Dakar's are one of the most street comfortable single cylinder adventure bikes out there & at 193 dry kg definitely the heaviest, which is not really what you need while learning

I agree with Clint, 650 Dakar not for the learner, nor the fainthearted really, off the beaten track - having said that, looking forward to the G650X getting here 2007, at 156kg with a bit more hp should be fun :yes:

A novice looking for something a bit bigger than a 250 could have a look at a Yamaha XT, you can still pick up an older 400/600 from time to time. Not sure why these are so underated, I've always found to be reliable and cheap as chips to run, they are pretty bullet proof as well.

Bought my wife a 2004 XT250 ($4500) last Saturday and found myself smiling all the way home.

Ruralman
19th October 2006, 08:58
If you want the 400 then the DRZ's are pretty unburstable and road legal ones can be found. I think they're about 125kg dry so probably mid 130's-140 with oil and fuel. They are pretty grunty but unless you've done a reasonable amount of trail riding you won't use the difference in power between that and the 250. If you do want to do a lot of road miles as well then the bigger donk has advantages, but the seats on these things don't really lend themselves to hours in the saddle.
Once you look at XT's and DR's rather than TTR's and DRZ's you add a bit more weight with heavier headlight assembly's etc and less suspension travel - these things make a huge difference on the trails in both their total ability when pushed but more importantly for you I think, they make them harder to ride. Or rather I should say the TTR and DRZ are much easier to ride on the trail and will make you look and feel a much better rider.
At the big bore end there are a few TTR 600's onTrademe at the moment - they've been there a while so a good deal could be done. Great suspension and unbreakable motors but they are getting heavy which on tighter trails can make a huge difference, especially for a learner.

Ocean1
19th October 2006, 17:13
In a little while I'll "50something" as opposed to "50ish"
I bought a KLX400 (DRZ400, identical) a few months ago (second childhood etc. etc.) and I'm happy with it. It's on the limit for weight for me, as a trail bike, any more and I'd be loosing it too much without putting in some serious training (my background has always been dirt but not recent). As someone said the 250s are much the same weight without as much lunch in the box, the 400's got as much power as I can get down on most flavours of dirt (yup, I do taste it sometimes) and it's good enough on the road to get me there. I use it to commute in good weather but otherwise it's only on the road to get to a playground, I wouldn't want to spend all day on the road on it but for me that's OK. They've got a reputation for reliabillity almost as good as an XR and the E-start is a godsend when you've stalled it on the side of a cliff. The only real issue I have with it is the 5 speed box is a bit too close (the engine is a tractor so god knows why), you end up a bit compromised with either a high 1st or a low 5th. Given me druthers I'd probably have a KTM525 or similar but overall I'm well impressed with the KLX in terms of value for money as a trail bike.

Ruralman
20th October 2006, 07:06
Latest KiwiRider Mag has a comparo with all the Suzuki dual sport trailies - 200-650. It will answer most questions and backs up everything already said here.

fazer
20th October 2006, 15:00
Thanks, bought one, good timing.