PDA

View Full Version : VMCC Rnd 6 Race Report

loosebruce
16th October 2006, 10:24
Well did the whole sort everything out the day before the race, but no major dramas, road to race tirm, oil change, tyre changes etc etc.
Got a good night sleep in at Taupo and meet up with the team bright and early, big thanks to Mason for the use of the generator, we would've been well screwed without it.
Anyway set up signed in, ate a couple of pies for good measure, and took off for F2 practice to try and get dialed in, left the pits and exited turn one to see Death picking his pick up on the side if turn 2 :doh: had put soem rearsets onto the GSXR for this round to tyr and give me some more corner clearance which i was in desparate need off, the rearsets put me in a totally different positiona dn felt werid as fuck, the bike felt quite unstable and twicthy, but as the laps went on i got more comfy with it, but didn't feel anywhere near as quick as the last time out on taupo at the MotoTT day, wasn't dragging anything so the rearsets are doing the trick.
Went out for F1 qualifing, before each round i try and set myself some goals/targets/aims to meet acheive:

Front row start
Get at least a podium to finish the series off
Break into the 1.39's
Not fall off
Hopefully bridge the gap and claim 5th overall.

Qualifying went well bike was good but i kept running into traffic got stuck behind Rob Jackson for most of it but was tentative about putting a pass on his pace was good and we weren't racing so punting him off wouldn't look to good, so i dropped right back to get a good run but nearing the end of a good lap i run into more traffic, arghh. Hadn't got the timesheet but someone called me a cock and i had placed 3rd fastetst with a 1.40.987 with Rob Jackson 1.40.909 and Shirrifs on pole with a 1.38.483. Had some seriously quick people behind me was thinking maybe i just got lucky? But had my front row start so was happy.

Race One:

My start was average not my worst not my best Daryl the bitch got past me and so did Jay, Manuell and Darron putting me in 7th out of turn 1, ah crap not good in sprint races, time to get a boogey on picked off Daryl and Manuell on the straight and slotted in behind Darron, taupo tends to be a tough track to pass on when everyone is on pace, so gain wasted a lap behind Darron and picked the 600 off down the straight as well, into 4th place with Rob in front, by this stage Shirrifs had fucked off towing Jay along but Rob was still in striking distance, i caught and sat in behind him to try and gauge a weak spot seemed i was stronger on the brakes, there was nothing wrong with the Honda's straightline poke, so getting up the inside into the final esses was going to be difficult, i decided to make my move into the sweeper, hold it tight stop him repassing me, the whole one pass move started at turn one on the 5th lap i had to stay on his arse, i lost a little but fought back, Rob was very quick out of the right hander onto the short straight leading to the sweeper, i left my braking late and sailed past putting a nice pass on, held it tight and knew the bike had good pace for him to not get me back down the straight, i held a tight braking line into the final esses and onto the last lap, i didn't know where Rob was, i couldn't hear him but i rode a very defensive lap holding tight lines (turned out to be my fastest lap, whne it felt like my slowest??) I brought the GSXR accorss the line in 3rd place, shit i was relieved, like a huge weight off my shoulders. A few wheelies and back itno the pits only to find out Jay had been penalised for a jump start which put me up into 2nd place overall. Best lap of 1.39.525.
Just got my 1.39 and podium finish, Myself, Shirrifs and Jay Lawerance were the only ones to run under 1.40's so i was well pleased with how things were turing out.

Race Two:

Taking teh warmers off i just happened to squeeze my thumbs into the tyre and by fuck that feels flat!!!! Grabbed teh pressure gauge and sure enough 19psi, in a mad rush to get the compressor on and start putting more air in, while everyone was getting ready to take to the warm up lap, i maganed to get 26psi into it before i had to go, not ideal but better than 19psi in the rear tyre. Was a bit of a worry for me i must have slow leak and picked some shit up in the pits with all the construction going on.
Got a real good start went to shut out Rob into turn one but he switched to the outside and got around me, think me and Daryl got pretty close, should've kill switched him :whistle: On lap two coming on the run into the sweeper in 4th place the red flag was showing, rolled into the pits to re form and Chris informed me that Daryl bit the dust and was unsure if he was okay, quite woriing when it's a mate and the race is red flagged, looking around Daryl rolled into teh pits, could tell he was fucked off he didn't re join :( restart much teh same i think im getting my starts pretty sorted.
Slotted into 4th place and had real trouble keeping upright the rear end was all over the place spinning and sliding, Rob found some awesome pace and pissed off after Shirrifs after despatching Jay, i was keeping Jay in sight but had no hope in catching him, knew two green bikes were behind me which could only be Ant and Manuell but kept a good enough gap to not be hassled by them on the last lap Shirrifs had pulled into the pits, maybe he proved his point not that he had too, maybe something wrong with the bike, dunno, but this put me into 3rd place across the line, so i'm not comlaining er! dipped into the 39's again even with the rear like it was so only four riders to dip under the 40's.

I came away achvieing all my goals, as i moved into 5th overall (equal on points with Derek but because of the podium finishes i took 5th) so seeing as i only socred points at 4 out of 6 rounds am very happy to be in top 5, even happier to get a couple of podiums behind me.

Thanks too:

Team Muppet
Brett and Quaismoto for the stromtrooper get up
Dover for the use of his rearsets until mine turn up in the country
Mason the use of teh Generator (fucked with out ya mate, cheers)
Colemans for not getting to angry at me for my account.
Ray Clee for the loan of a race fairing and the help with getting the bike in the first place and the suspension a bit more sorted for a fat bastard like me.
Shaun Harris for all your help and advice, and good deals on certain bits here and there.
All the support from friends, family and KB.
Sorry if i missed anyone out, everyone rode well on the day, few spills to put a damper on things, but stand outs for me Goblin out there on KZ's GSXR, Jill for getting back into it on her sparkly new SV, same with Rob on his SV, too many too list, it's great to see girds getting more full with people giving it a go.

Couldn't of done it without ya's, big ups to ya all :2thumbsup

motobob
16th October 2006, 10:28
Fricking top effort Bruce. Bet you can't wait for the Nationals.

dss3
16th October 2006, 10:30
Well done bro, top effort eh. Way to put that Honda in its place... for one race at least!

kiwifruit
16th October 2006, 10:31
nice report man

congrats on your results :cool:
look forward to seeing what you get up2 from here

babyB
16th October 2006, 10:33
good on ya LB good report too well done

Racey Rider
16th October 2006, 10:35
Great report. Well done on the placings.

Matt Bleck
16th October 2006, 10:38
nice write up bruce, great result too!

kickingzebra
16th October 2006, 10:40
Woohoo!! A mere mortal hits the podium!! Top work there bro!! Looking forward to seeing you on some more grids soon enough!

skelstar
16th October 2006, 10:45
Great report. Was awesome fun watching you guys from the tyrewall on the entry into the pit straight. Some of your front-ends were getting mighty twitchy when you were laying the power down. We had to practice our jumping down routines incase one of ya did hit the litter. Bloody exciting to watch.

emaN
16th October 2006, 11:27
this, to complete the "look"....:cool:

took some vid of the last corner - can hear you 'bouncing' as you get towards th e end of pit straight...awesome!!!

great riding bro! & it must feel primo to have achieved yer goals....and getting sub '40s....geez!!

sugilite
16th October 2006, 12:56
Awesome results Bruce!
Your riding was superb!
See you down south, I guarantee you will love the tracks down there :2thumbsup

GSVR
16th October 2006, 13:08
Hope you do go ahead and do all the Nationals. Will be awesome watching the TV coverage seeing Chris on the 600 and you on the Superbike.

Deano
16th October 2006, 14:11
Good on ya Bruce. Was your gearing not quite right on the front straight ? Thank god for limiters eh ?

Top stoppie in the pits too. Nice one.

loosebruce
16th October 2006, 14:29
Yea i need to look at a slight gearing change, i was going to throw a 15 on the front which should see me pluck 3rd down the front straight and give me a better punch in 2nd out of the tighter stuff, got to find 2 seconds to hook onto shirrifs best time, brakes and rear tyre let me down in the 2nd race so can see 38's easy enough, gearing change should make 37's a real possibilty, still quite inconsistent on a couple of brakeing markers, but well get there.

Nationals are looking quite tough at this stage financailly, i think i will be able to make Ruapuna, Manfeild, Pukekohe, i really dont know if i can stretch the extra cash and time off to do the full rounds, should have a better idea in a few weeks, still undecided to what i want to do :(

Cheers for all the positive comments, i hope i can keep up my pace and keep on improving, i believe i can, so will see.

The_Dover
16th October 2006, 14:32
must have been those magic rear sets.

my voodoo works.

Goblin
16th October 2006, 15:02
Awesome results Bruce!:2thumbsup All the very best with the Nats. If you could beg, borrow or steal the cash to get to all the rounds, I'm absolutely sure it would pay off with podium finishes!

I have a feeling you will get to IOM in the not too distant future too. GO Bruce!:banana:

Crasherfromwayback
16th October 2006, 15:52
Woohoo!! A mere mortal hits the podium!! Top work there bro!! Looking forward to seeing you on some more grids soon enough!

To those of you joining Bruce racing......remember this.....even the 'Names' are mere 'mortals'. Apart from experience and reputation, they have nothing over you people.
Respect them sure. Fear them not.
Belief in yourself, or a touch of contempt for them will take you a long way.
Fact.

Joni
16th October 2006, 16:02
Great race Report Bruce.
Im really looking forward to seeing you @ Ruapuna, I reckon it would be a good one for you and of course good for the SI racers to have another fast rider on the grid!
See you soon hopefully!

Cleve
16th October 2006, 16:37
Great write up Bruce and well done. All the best with the future plans.
See ya at the PMCC if you can do them.

texmo
16th October 2006, 17:04
To those of you joining Bruce racing......remember this.....even the 'Names' are mere 'mortals'. Apart from experience and reputation, they have nothing over you people.
Respect them sure. Fear them not.
Belief in yourself, or a touch of contempt for them will take you a long way.
Fact.

Respect bruce?

Crasherfromwayback
16th October 2006, 17:21
Respect bruce?

Well yeah. I respect anyone that goes racing. But not when it came to racing them as far as 'fear' goes. Too many people starting out confuse 'respect' with 'fear'.
But my point was that it's easy to be mentally beaten by the 'names' before you start.

I came from a moto-x backround when I first road raced. Sure I'd heard of the best we had at the time, but it meant nothing to me as I'd seen some of them ride in the dirt and they were pussies. So I figured they can't be that 'hard'. They weren't, and still aren't. They're only human. They have confidence and experience. Get the confidence, you're half way there.
If you race to finish behind the five 'legends' that are in the same race as you and hope for nothing more than to beat the other people you know, that's where you'll finish.

Shaun
16th October 2006, 17:24
Yea i need to look at a slight gearing change, i was going to throw a 15 on the front which should see me pluck 3rd down the front straight and give me a better punch in 2nd out of the tighter stuff, got to find 2 seconds to hook onto shirrifs best time, brakes and rear tyre let me down in the 2nd race so can see 38's easy enough, gearing change should make 37's a real possibilty, still quite inconsistent on a couple of brakeing markers, but well get there.

Nationals are looking quite tough at this stage financailly, i think i will be able to make Ruapuna, Manfeild, Pukekohe, i really dont know if i can stretch the extra cash and time off to do the full rounds, should have a better idea in a few weeks, still undecided to what i want to do :(

Cheers for all the positive comments, i hope i can keep up my pace and keep on improving, i believe i can, so will see.

How about if I arrange to transport your bike around the south Island for you?

And I bribe your boss at Dinner tonight?

And You just Fly in fly out like a superstar?

And we all stop calling you Gay!

All above is serious, and dam fine job on Saturday mate

Crasherfromwayback
16th October 2006, 17:34

Bruce, that's an offer you can't refuse!
Shaun, I wish there were people like you making generous offers like that when I was starting out! Maximum respect to you for putting so much time and effort into the new upcomers!

Go Bruce!

Two Smoker
16th October 2006, 19:59
Wicked stuff Bruce, you were looking really smooth and fast as out there...

Dont know if i can stop doing that mate hehehe

Shaun
16th October 2006, 21:35
Bruce, that's an offer you can't refuse!
Shaun, I wish there were people like you making generous offers like that when I was starting out! Maximum respect to you for putting so much time and effort into the new upcomers!

Go Bruce!

Thank you Sir, the reason I do what I do is because of the old days, so much talent was around back then, and there was jack shit help for them! When I started racing and got my first support from Road and Sport in Hamilton, I told myself I would give back what I had been given:rockon:

Crasherfromwayback
16th October 2006, 21:55
I told myself I would give back what I had been given:rockon:

You mean cunt! You're gonna give all of these newbies countless broken bones and relationship woes (speaking for myself there Shaun, as I know nothing about your private life!), all for a reputation as one sick puppy (yours)!?

Love your work!

slowpoke
16th October 2006, 23:43

Bruce's Boss might fancy a bit of hairy ginger arse....in which case we just might see how fast those short lil' legs will carry you!

Goblin
17th October 2006, 00:09
Bruce's Boss might fancy a bit of hairy ginger arse....in which case we just might see how fast those short lil' legs will carry you!
:laugh: :clap:

Eyetie
17th October 2006, 06:38
:laugh: :clap:

I can assure you that Bruce's boss will not fancy Shaun's hairy ginga's arse.... Know his boss pretty well

Top Result Bruce, am sure your boss would look favourably on time off for the Nationals

slowpoke
17th October 2006, 07:14
Hey Bruce if you do decide to take Shaun up on his offer and Shaun's shakin' a tail feather and smouldering come hither glances in your Boss's direction does grant you a bit of time to go South don't forget to fill us in on where you are working.
It may not be practical and I've got no idea what you do for a crust or who you do it for but if it means we are able to put a bit of good will his way then it's a win win situation.

Shaun
17th October 2006, 07:51
I can assure you that Bruce's boss will not fancy Shaun's hairy ginga's arse.... Know his boss pretty well

Top Result Bruce, am sure your boss would look favourably on time off for the Nationals

Well said the MAN- I shaved before I went out anyway

loosebruce
17th October 2006, 08:22

Thanks heaps for the offer Shaun, as i said every little bit helps in no matter what shape or form help comes from and i'm always greatfull.

Transportation would be a huge help, flying up and down would be the only way, as i'd still have to work in between rounds, was going to base myself in chch for ruapuna and levels but fly to invercargill for teretonga, heard levels is only a couple hours drive from chch, i've had offers for places i can stay (thanks to those people), dont know about the superstar part.
Don't know where the Gay part came from, does my arse look small in my leathers???
I'll be in touch for sure Shaun, will have a chat with the said Boss this week.

Cheers again :rockon:

Two Smoker
17th October 2006, 20:48
Transportation would be a huge help, flying up and down would be the only way, as i'd still have to work in between rounds,

See you on the plane :niceone:

slowpoke
17th October 2006, 21:04
Don't know where the Gay part came from, does my arse look small in my leathers???

Dunno 'bout small but it definitely seems a bit loose.....giving you the benefit of the doubt I guess it could just be the laxative effect from some of those shonky pies.

vtec
17th October 2006, 22:54
Best write up yet, and definitely one of your best performances... I'll leave the banter to the experts.

loosebruce
18th October 2006, 08:14
Shonky and Pie are two words i could never put together, only the best for me!

On a side note, with the help of a few people things are coming together nicely to do the full rounds of the nationals:

A good deal through on tyres (thank you to that man, hope you can swing the rubber this way)
Discount on Air Fares for the 3 flights in and out of Chch
Transport of my bike to Chch and Storage for the duration of the south island rounds.
A Van to use to get me and the bike and crap load of other gear to each race meet and back.
Kind offers from a couple of memebers on the site to put me up for a night or two.

Still got a long way to go and a lot to sort out but it's a start and a good start at that, thanks again to those involved in helping me out :rockon:

texmo
18th October 2006, 08:45
Shonky and Pie are two words i could never put together, only the best for me!

On a side note, with the help of a few people things are coming together nicely to do the full rounds of the nationals:

A good deal through on tyres (thank you to that man, hope you can swing the rubber this way)
Discount on Air Fares for the 3 flights in and out of Chch
Transport of my bike to Chch and Storage for the duration of the south island rounds.
A Van to use to get me and the bike and crap load of other gear to each race meet and back.
Kind offers from a couple of memebers on the site to put me up for a night or two.

Still got a long way to go and a lot to sort out but it's a start and a good start at that, thanks again to those involved in helping me out :rockon:

Good shit bro. So this means your gonna do the full series?

Cleve
18th October 2006, 09:41
Yeah that is great news Bruce. Good on all those who are in positions to help and are.

cowpoos
18th October 2006, 13:11
fuck your getting fast....and fuck I owe you a beer for putting that honda in its place!!!

hope you can make the full nationals bro....its lookng more and more likely that I will be giving it a crack as the official back marker this year in sports production [I'll try hold up a few guys for ya after you lap me] ...lol]

emaN
20th October 2006, 08:25
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?videos=548033&T=770

Some vids of the start & last corner...
(you may need to download the file to view it?)

Motoracer
22nd October 2006, 14:55
I finally got around to reading your report.

Stoked for you dude! Even at the track I could see your grin from having achived all your goals. Mighty impressed and proud to see a mate do so well and racing neck to neck with top level riders in the country.

Good on ya bro! Would buy you a beer but you don't drink that shit so I'll just have one in your name! :first:

Kali
23rd October 2006, 18:46
Awesome work Bruce and congrats on your racing.. hope you get to do the full nats series. looking forward to hearing how you get on in the future. :yes: