PDA

View Full Version : Deano does Taupo - VMCC Rd 6

Deano
16th October 2006, 11:15
It was my first time on the new track so I went out in the scrub in session to try and get some much needed track knowledge.

I found it very tight and technical, but was given a tip before I went out about one particular corner, (the blind apex right hander) which helped immensely.

I found the rear was sliding pretty easily coming out of the infield left hand hairpin, so had to take a bit of extra care there.

It seemed it would be pretty easy to stuff up the left right left back onto the front straight as well, if carrying too much speed off the long straight.

I couldn't quite believe I had qualified ahead of Paul Martindale and Barry New in Post Classic Jnr and thought I might be in for a really good day. This was not to be though, as they jumped me at the start in both races and although I got close to them, I never got anywhere near close to getting past them.

I had a guy lose the front right ahead of me at the infield hairpin and he went down hard and rolled off the track - didn't look pretty at all and brought the red flag out.

F3 always looked like it would be some fun with 30 bikes in it. Keystone had been giving me a good wind up about beating me and to be honest I was probably a bit cocky about it.....well I had to eat some humble pie when she came past me and I had to pull finger or never hear the end of it. We had an awesome little battle - must have swapped places half a dozen times - the SV had the power but the little CBR is easy to flick through the tight bits.

There were three of us right behind Phil when he crashed which brought the red flag out and ended the race. I was a bit bewildered when I saw the results and he was placed ahead of us. Strange rule that one.

Race 2 and I was doing pretty good - I kept checking behind me as I knew Keystone would be out for revenge but couldn't see her. I think I needed the push as I ended up losing a place in the second to last lap, but the guy was a Taupo local (and I think on a quicker bike) so I guess that ain't all bad.

Somebody dragged a cone onto the track which almost forced me to run wide into the dirt - I made sure I went on the inside of it for the following few laps.

All in all a pretty good day. 5th and 7th in PC Jnr and two 12th's in F3. Highlight was dicing with Keystone.....and coming up trumps :Pokey:

Thanks to Skelstar for your support, and Fizzerman for lending us the car and trailer.

The Tazman
16th October 2006, 11:27
Good on ya Deano

How about your placings though. With 30 bikes on the track it would have been fun :D

Hopefully see you out this weekend weather permitting

Gaz

kickingzebra
16th October 2006, 11:33
Good work Deano!! Sorry I didn't get to have more than a word in passing, but well done anyways!

HDTboy
16th October 2006, 11:39
Bro, I've got soooo much work to do to keep up with you

skelstar
16th October 2006, 11:40
Bloody good day...good see that you didnt get beaten by a girl mate. Yeah cheers Fizzerman for the comfortable wheels.:niceone:

motobob
16th October 2006, 12:02
Great watching you race and cool to finally meet you. K19 was certainly buzzing about the dice you guys had on the way home.

skelstar
16th October 2006, 12:02
So it wasnt the quiet trip home that you were hoping for Paul :)

sugilite
16th October 2006, 12:05
Well done Deano,
Those races where you are dicing like that are over in a flash eh :banana:

I was the one that hit the cone, they were to close to the track and I hit it with my knee while stuffing it under Steve Bridges Ducati

What you going to race next year? From what I've seen, you got what it takes to step up a class for sure :2thumbsup

Keystone19
16th October 2006, 12:14
All in all a pretty good day. 5th and 7th in PC Jnr and two 12th's in F3. Highlight was dicing with Keystone.....and coming up trumps :Pokey:

Yep, it was the highlight for me too. Can't wait to try and get you next time!

GSVR
16th October 2006, 12:37
Good going being right up to pace without much in the way of time on the track.

Deano
16th October 2006, 14:08
I was the one that hit the cone, they were to close to the track and I hit it with my knee while stuffing it under Steve Bridges Ducati

I remember you saying that now but I think you hit the big cone which knocked it out from the track. The cone on the track was a little one, during the last F3 race.

What you going to race next year? From what I've seen, you got what it takes to step up a class for sure :2thumbsup

Cheers mate - I would be pretty keen to give F2 a crack, but the $$$ involved may mean I'm stuck where I am.

All good fun anyway.

Sparky Bills
16th October 2006, 16:41
Only need to say a couple words...

GO HONDA!!!!

Well done mate!

boomer
16th October 2006, 18:12
You cant beat Jill...:whistle:

Bloody honduh riders :lol:

yungatart
16th October 2006, 18:21
Good stuff Deano!
Are we gonna see you in our neck of the woods this w/e coming?

Deano
16th October 2006, 18:52
Good stuff Deano!
Are we gonna see you in our neck of the woods this w/e coming?

I'll be at Manfeild on Saturday for the track day but apart from that got a few chores to do round home.

yungatart
16th October 2006, 18:54
I'll be at Manfeild on Saturday for the track day but apart from that got a few chores to do round home.

You are choosing chores over a party and a ride - I'll pray for you mate:hug:

Deano
16th October 2006, 18:55
You are choosing chores over a party and a ride - I'll pray for you mate:hug:

I have no choice....when the boss says jump.....

hXc
16th October 2006, 19:01
You are choosing chores over a party and a ride - I'll pray for you mate
I have no choice....when the boss says jump.....
And you know why Garfield hates Mondays? Get your arse over here and do the chores on Monday, Sady!

Sketchy_Racer
16th October 2006, 19:03
Good shit Deano....

Nice pass up the inisde there ;)

are ya gonna boost the performance up a little so that you could have a chance at winning Post classics or F3??

Rossi Gal
16th October 2006, 19:04
Wicked effort dude!! haha yeah K19 loves to stir ppl up hehe cheeky girl ;)
might see you on saturday deano :)

Deano
16th October 2006, 19:11
Good shit Deano....

Nice pass up the inisde there ;)

Yeah it seemed pretty close to me.

are ya gonna boost the performance up a little so that you could have a chance at winning Post classics or F3??

The CBR seems as quick as Paul M's one, but not quite as quick as Barry New's ZXR, and a long way off Jarrod's ZXR.

If I stick with this bike, I will be aiming for top three in PC Jnr next year.

F3 is a different story, but new proposed rules may come into play if it limits the mods to the SV's.

What about your plans ? Your times are damn fast.

Crasherfromwayback
16th October 2006, 19:14
Cheers mate - I would be pretty keen to give F2 a crack, but the $$$ involved may mean I'm stuck where I am.

Deano....sounds like you're going well mate!
If you wanna do F2, being a Honda man and all, get yourself a late (ish) RS 250. Fucking work of art. Better to ride than ten Gwen Stefani's.
No where near as expensive to run as people would have you believe.

Sketchy_Racer
16th October 2006, 19:17
Yeah, Pauls one is bog stock as well. Barrys is/was a very fast bike. the engine is Bayden Sprozens old one. It used to be a hot rod. To bad the cooter couldn't ride it (bayden that is)

I don't know whats plans for next season.

Maybe 125s

Maybe F3

so many choices. But it will most likely be 125gp. As thats all i can afford to do

The funny thing is, I did my fastest lap time in F3 where i only go out for fun rather than race. Maybe being more relaxed makes me faster??

In streetstock race i did a 2:02.5

In F3 i did a 2:01.3

over s second better NUTS haha

skelstar
16th October 2006, 19:18
...or relive the glory days on a NSR250 mate?

Sketchy_Racer
16th October 2006, 19:19
Deano....sounds like you're going well mate!
If you wanna do F2, being a Honda man and all, get yourself a late (ish) RS 250. Fucking work of art. Better to ride than ten Gwen Stefani's.
No where near as expensive to run as people would have you believe.

Do ya happen to have one for sale there mate??? :banana:

hXc
16th October 2006, 19:22
And you know why Garfield hates Mondays? Get your arse over here and do the chores on Monday, Sady!
Deano = Sady, the cleaning lady.

You sad, sad boy. I thought that riding a Honda would do better things to you. I think you need some professional help, fast!

Crasherfromwayback
16th October 2006, 22:05
Do ya happen to have one for sale there mate??? :banana:

No, and as much as it hurts me to say, I believe they're a much better race bike (albeit harder to set up sometimes) than a TZ. The build quality is blow your wad good. Run them with good oil at sensible mixture ratios and you'll have no problems. They even crash well. Better to throw 100 kgs down the road than 160. Especially when they sneak up and pounce on you, as race bikes sometimes do.

Deano
17th October 2006, 08:48
Deano = Sady, the cleaning lady.

You sad, sad boy. I thought that riding a Honda would do better things to you. I think you need some professional help, fast!

Wait till you're married mate....you have much to learn young man:Pokey:

If you wanna do F2, being a Honda man and all, get yourself a late (ish) RS 250. Fucking work of art. No where near as expensive to run as people would have you believe.

I like the sound of that. As far as $$ goes, it's not so much the initial bike purchase but tyres etc (and pistons and rings if a 2 stroke). The 400 doesn't chew them out much. I'm still running the tyres it came with and all it has cost me so far is a few gaskets. I will still get another two days out of the tyres yet - that'll be 5 meetings on two sets of 25% worn tyres.

Crasherfromwayback
17th October 2006, 13:28
Wait till you're married mate....you have much to learn young man:Pokey:

I like the sound of that. As far as $$ goes, it's not so much the initial bike purchase but tyres etc (and pistons and rings if a 2 stroke). The 400 doesn't chew them out much. I'm still running the tyres it came with and all it has cost me so far is a few gaskets. I will still get another two days out of the tyres yet - that'll be 5 meetings on two sets of 25% worn tyres.

Nah mate, they're not nearly as dear to run as people think. Just run the best oil avail at safe ratios and pay careful attention to your jetting. Throwing pistons and rings at it is a piece of piss, and you don't even have to do that all that often if you're not running them at 'the edge' jetting wise etc. They have 'o'ringed heads, so no expensive head gskts needed when you do rings etc, and it's a quick easy job. They're not hard on tyres, and the best bit is they only weight 100kgs, so you don't even need a loading ramp! I had a '92' (last one before the single sided swingarm) and it was a total blast. min tens or there abouts shouldn't be too much of a prob with a
later model one!

cowpoos
18th October 2006, 13:14
good effort bro...be good to see you on a bigger bike!!! race fairings for cbr1000's can't be that expensive???

babyB
18th October 2006, 18:11
well done Deano good on ya
will say hi next time