PDA

View Full Version : What qualifies for full license test?

Bend-it
16th October 2006, 14:01
I'm guessing...

Something 250cc or smaller.
Has to be registered as a motorcycle.

So will a 100-150cc scooter qualify? Does it matter that it's auto (like a Suzuki SJ125 or Honda Lead)?

I took my restricted on my 250 bandit but I *might* not have that when I take my full license test... :cool:

Str8 Jacket
16th October 2006, 14:10
I'm guessing...

So will a 100-150cc scooter qualify? Does it matter that it's auto (like a Suzuki SJ125 or Honda Lead)?

I took my restricted on my 250 bandit but I *might* not have that when I take my full license test... :cool:

IM not to sure if it has to be a BIKE or if a scooter would be OK. But if you get stuck you can most likely borrow my bike. When will you be sitting the test?

Bend-it
16th October 2006, 14:26
Early Dec... Thanks for the offer, it'll be the backup plan! :2thumbsup

Drum
16th October 2006, 15:12
When I booked for my full license test, the lady said.."make sure you come on your bike, not in your car".

I mean, really!

Wasp
16th October 2006, 15:23
its ok dude, you can borrow mine when i get it back, hopefully it doesnt die on you :rofl:

NighthawkNZ
16th October 2006, 15:45
When I booked for my full license test, the lady said.."make sure you come on your bike, not in your car".

I mean, really!

Thats funny... :lol:

McJim
16th October 2006, 15:55
Someone in another thread mentioned that the full test isn't simply a case of drive where the tell you and obey the law (as it is in UK) but that they ask you questions afterwards. Is this bullshit to scare immigrants like me or do they really ask you to name hazards that you saw on the way?

Cheers to anyone answering this.

Ixion
16th October 2006, 16:48
In theory they ask you to identify hazards and say what you would do (hopefully, have done) to mitigate them.

In practice they DO do it on a cage test. But not always on a bike cos it's harder. Some have reported the tester asked the rider to point to hazards when the tester flashed his lights. Some have reported the tester getting them to pull over and do the stuff. Legally speaking they SHOULD do it. But some don't bother

Some testers ignore it all together for bikes. Luck of the draw, and maybe how competant you look. Best is prolly to exaggerate head movements etc so the tester sees you look at the hazards.

hellnback
16th October 2006, 16:55
I'm guessing...

Yeah mate, you can use anything that requires a Class 6 (Motorcycle) License to ride eg. anything over 50cc.

MikeyG
16th October 2006, 17:36
From the Land transport NZ site. Says it must be a motorcycle not a moped or ATV but does not mention scooters. Best advice would be to check with the testing place and if they say a scooter is not ok then try different testing places - lots of places seem to have their own interpretation of the rules

Pre-test roadworthiness check

You need to provide the motorcycle that you'll ride for the test. (Note that you must sit the test on a motorcycle, not a moped or ATV.)

Your motorcycle will be checked for roadworthiness before the test begins. If it isn't roadworthy (even if it has a current WoF) the test won't proceed and you'll need to book and pay for another test. (The test fee won't be refunded.)

The roadworthiness check includes:

Licence label and WoF: The licence label and WoF must be current.
Tyres and wheels: The motorcycle's tyres must have legal tread depth and no uneven wear. The wheels must appear undamaged.
Indicators: The indicators must operate correctly and all lenses must be intact.
Brake lights: The brake lights must operate correctly and all lenses must be intact.
Headlights: The high and low beams must operate and the lenses must be intact.
Horn: The horn must operate satisfactorily.
It's good practice to get into the habit of checking your motorcycle regularly for things that may be deteriorating or broken. There's excellent information on this, and other aspects of motorcyclist safety, in the motorcyclists' section of our website.

Drum
16th October 2006, 17:53
Someone in another thread mentioned that the full test isn't simply a case of drive where the tell you and obey the law (as it is in UK) but that they ask you questions afterwards. Is this bullshit to scare immigrants like me or do they really ask you to name hazards that you saw on the way?

Cheers to anyone answering this.

I had to pull over every now and then and describe the hazards that I saw. Its really not that hard. For a day or so before the test I was riding around spracticing to myself..."pedestrians about to cross road...car could pull out from side road.....car door could open..........school bus stopped....etc".

masterofpuppets
16th October 2006, 18:51
when i did my riding school for my learner license a year or so ago, there were a few people doing the test in scooters, some of which were 50cc. i would have thought that being competent in riding a motorcycle actually meant motorcycle. meh... if i had known i would have taken a mate's scooter instead of renting a bike.