PDA

View Full Version : Grand Challenge 06

Holy Roller
16th October 2006, 17:54
I decided to get down to Turangi earlier and get some rest before the event as I had just finished night shift. After a couple of hours tossing and turning it was time to pack up the bike and head off. Got my cabin sorted and bike checked, passed, so I was happy. Not all bikes passed the check but thats how it goes sometimes. A couple of hours shuteye before the map would be put up and then off to BK for dinner. What was suposed to be an early night somehow did not turn out that way. A cooked breakfast and the route studied, map marked and pace notes taped to the tank. Some more shuteye and its that time again.

Bikes left by colour, each rider had a coloured card with 5 numbers that would be punched out at the check points, My card was purple and that was near the end of the line. The Purple card was displayed and off I went. Very nervious about the ride thinking over and over "What am I doing here" I wasn't helped much to see a Duc Multistrada in bits on the side of the road only 60 miles into the event. If that wasn't bad enough a couple of miles down the road a Blackbird had a terminal illness after being parked in a ditch. Found out later that a Bandit also suffered from that same streach of road. We had been warned to "Be Careful on this road" I guess that some had not traded their big kahunas for smaller ones yet.

The first checkpoint was at Hawera it was dark when I got there as the first section had been so tight and twisty. One Suzuki had run low on gas as had my bike, the red light was flashing. Just out of the Awakino gorge the Suzuki run out of gas. Fortunatly some guy in a ute has some spare gas to get him to the next station at Awakino. I slowed to 70kph and coasted down the hill through the gorge and was much relieved to find the station. On filling I found that there was still 6 litres in the tank :whistle: The coast road though to Hawera was awesome big long undulating straights interupted by milk tankers who pulled out on to the main road infront of you.

Hawera to Wanganui was stress free, then more twisties that ended in hunterville, where one of our members decided to do a bit of cross country under a tree ripping up some old lady's lawn, I'll let the individual confess to that one. The checkpoint at Hunterville provided much needed fuel and refresments, served by the owners two young kids. We had to dodge roofing materials as workmen were doing some repairs at that time of the night.

Hunterville to Vinegar hill then through to Ashurst were we were led astray by a couple of other nice bikers who were at the intersection pointing left. So we went left only to eventually end up finding the end of the seal. So back to Ashurst and just a few hundered meters down the road was the sign to Woodville was clearly seen. The wind turbines were impressive as the headlights lit them up against the driving rain and gusty winds. My only heartstopping moment was here when a shiny patch of smooth road became a skateing rink for a few moments as I literally tried to suck my seat from its mounting bolts into a place it wasn't designed to fit. I don't know how I recovered it, as at that time I was wishing that I was at home and not doing this ride, but you are sure that every shiny bit of wet road after that was avoided like the plague.

Dannevirke to Waipukurau was via Porangahau. I remember seeing the sign for the longest place name in the world for a brief minute in the midst of some very tight twisty roadage strewn with debris from the recent high winds that had aflicted the area in recent times. At Waipuk I found my second wind and my attitude to the ride brightened, only good roads from here:2thumbsup

Napier, Taupo, Whakamaru and then to Te Kuiti for another check point. Wet roads ensured one travelled at a sedate rate. We were on familiar roads up to Kihikihi across to Putaruru via the same detour as last year over the Arapuni dam. Over to Rotorua and around the back of the lake dry roads ment a bit of fun was to be had. Back towards to Rotorua and up Highway 30 to Awakeri over the Rotomas. Thought breifly of stopping in and seeing the Mrs but decided to carry on as the finish was just around the corner so to speak. Refuelled at Awakeri and got my card punched at CP 5. Usually there are bikes waiting for the final checkpoint to open at 5am but this time the first bike came in at 5:15. The desired effect of slowing the ride down by sending us through those exciting pieces of New Zealand realestate had done the job.

It was back to Te Teko and through to Murupara and those long long straights that point to highway 5 and home to Turangi. I was sent out at 3:18pm Saturday and came in at 12 noon Sunday tired but buzzing that another Grand Challenge had been knocked off. Lunch eaten, badge given and to the cabin where I just lay down and let the fingers of sleep gently caress my aching body. All this bliss was ungraceously interupted at 7pm by a strong desire to relieve myself, just something one cannot ignore for too. Any way dinner was served and catching up with others trying desperatly to recall what happened where and when. A laptop was regurgatating pictures that had been taken over the weekend to an audience of sleep deprived yet somehow strangly satisified onlookers.

Do it again, you bet.
For those who have been on previous GC events this year as you may know there has been a doco made or rather in the process of being made. You can get the orderform from the link below for the DVD.

http://www.rustynuts.co.nz/default.aspx?PageID=395

Some of the stats for the ride
49 new to the ride of 131 registered.
116 starters and 110 finished
5 binned their bikes
Last home was a father and son team who came in 31 hours after departing. The Honda the son was riding had numerous problems until it died at Taupo. Another bike a scooter was swapped for the dead one. The old man rode the scooter while the son got to ride the Harley the rest of the way home. They looked shattered when they got in, but being determined to finish they pressed on.

For more pix visit
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/ulybod/Grand%20Challenge%2006/

RiderInBlack
16th October 2006, 18:36
Awesome HR:2thumbsup. Sounds like this was a real GC (Rain, Wind and Winding Roads, meehaha). Made me wish I could have afforded ta enter this year:( Ooh well, saving me pingers. Hope ta have a newer biker for the GC next year:shifty:

Waylander
16th October 2006, 18:37
Hope ta have a newer biker for the GC next year:shifty:
But how will we know it's you unles you keep the white mirros?

RiderInBlack
16th October 2006, 18:47
But how will we know it's you unles you keep the white mirros?
That's easy. Just look for a "Hoki-No-Shame-Radar-Detector-Housing" by one of the mirrors:whistle: :killingme

cowboyz
16th October 2006, 19:18
awesome. great writeup. I had thoughts about doing it but I don't know. Bit apprehensive about it. Might wait till I get a bigger/newer bike.

nadroj
16th October 2006, 20:32
Good to finally meet you ....... Hows the footpeg from the first Km? At least you stayed upright on both occasions!

Congrats to all who completed, as experienced Rusties thought it was one of the most demanding of the 20 events in the conditions.

Yes, a little carnage and some expensive paperwork was experienced, especially by one who asked the cameraman to film when he gave his Mrs the paperwork ($630 + -28 days) :spanking: to hold while he unloaded his bike after it's 3rd puncture. He felt safer with the camera around for some reason!

A good selection of bikes took part including an XT550, a RZ350 and a Gold wing (pictured) with 600,000Km on the clock.

shafty
16th October 2006, 20:43
Great article Holy Roller - thanks for sharing! - and bl**dy well done on the ride
Shafty

Zapf
16th October 2006, 21:37
The Honda the son was riding had numerous problems until it died at Taupo.

For the record the Honda was a CB900, the 1970's one.

Warr
16th October 2006, 22:53
Thats a good read HR.....

After reading Holy Roller’s preparations with spot lights, I found some and mounted them in a suitable location. Hadnt tried them till Clare and me headed to Taupo on Friday night. They gave light to die for!! Awesome for sure.
Got up Sat. morning and a quick trip to Taupo Honda for a can of chain lube that I had forgotten. Well that as well as my entry card! – Never to mind, so off to Taupo for the first leg arriving at Turangi in good time for scrutineering ??
Back into town for some lunch and a catchup with Titanium. And managed to get a free map off a kind soul. So marked it up with the intended route.
I had hear a rumour we could be in for an earlier start so was a nice to hear the new colour coded starting scheme. Seemed to work pretty well from my perspective. It was to have been a 4.26 start but got away with other “Pink” riders at 3.24.

1st leg
Away and up into the clouds .. again just like last year. I was pleased I had put the layers on as the temperature went downward.
Uneventful till we passed through Taumarunui onto the Ohura loop. There must have been a vintage/classic rally on as there were numerous vehicles going the opposite way to us.
The road was damp and who-ever was following me at one stage would have had an amazing view of me in a 2 wheel slide and just managing to keep it on the seal. It probably looked very controlled But actually felt very different to me……….
A few more corners keeping well away from the shiny “black ice” and there was someone’s pride and joy parked up with skids on the road and contact with banks. Sobering …
Good pace still but I started short-shifting and taking it very easy as I hit reserve and no sigh of the main road in sight. Made it to the main road, but no gas stations in sight. Passed a 10km sigh to gas… I though … yes perhaps … But no. Engine died and nothing but fumes when I lifted the cap.
Bikes started passing and a friendly guy on a K1200S stopped and said he would get me some gas.
10 minutes later my angel arrived on 2 wheels and gave me the contents of a 2 litre milk container.. which had a lot higher octane rating than the original contents. Big smiles all round. He himself had run-out earlier and someone had helped him out so he was returning the favour.
I was a humble recipient of his good nature. Thanks mate who-ever you were. You saved my bacon :)
Onto New Plymouth , had no idea how to get to the coast road so just followd my nose and found a rith turn that said Coast or something and followed that. Great.
Was dark from here and put my extra lights to good use. But man the little bugs and salt spray was everywhere. You would try and clean your visor and 3 k’s down the road you could hardly see again. It went on and on. Made it into Hawera CP1 where I was interviewed on camera !! I wonder if it will make it to the DVD !! It went something like “Tell my wife to never let me do this again” !!!!
Well what can I say now :)

2nd leg
Off again, into Wanganui, wow what a nice looking place that is at night. I must go back. The gardens all lit up.
The shadows on the road turned out to be an opossum but he wasn’t coming my way.
I had little idea how I was to find the road over to Hunterville so when I spotted some bikes at the lights before the bridge I was happy to hook on behind. They knew where were heading and I followed.
Slower riders were passed and dropped off the end. Until there were 4 of us. One left turn that should have been a right we turned our bikes around and back the 20m we had gone wrong. I was infront. And couls use my awesome lights. I quickly found myself on my own as the others let me slip away.
Got to Ongo Rd but which way. Checked the notes on the top of the tank bag and said “Turn Right”, I was off again and into Hunterville.CP2. I friendly young guy filled the bike while I scoffed a banana.

3rd leg
Up the main drag to Vineger Hill, seemed to come up fast but made a right and then around osme more tight stuff. I wondered why anyone would use this route as a short-cut. Well that was untill the corners straightened out to enticing straights.
At Cheltenham a couple of bikes came up behind me as I was pondering place names under the street lights. I hadn’t had anyone pass me yet so didn’t linger.
But was happy for them to take the lead when we got to Ashurst as the sheet seemed a little ambiguous.
There was no signs to the “Ashurst Track” only to “Saddle Road” Mmm my new friends seemed to know so off past the wind turbines and onto Woodville and north.
Gas at Danneverke and some discussion re the Weber loop. They sent me out in front where I stayed till I took a wrong turn at Waipukurau. I soon found them at the correct gas staton and CP3.

4th Leg
My 2 friends lead off and I was happy to let them as they seemed to have a pretty good knowledge of getting through Napier and onto the Napier Taupo road. Plain sailing for sure.
Taupo for another full and groan “PrePay”
Off to Tihoi, Whakamaru, Benneydale. Slippery and wet. My new leathers were starting to soak it in, but my wets could wait till the next stop!
This leg being wet and slow was probably the hardest thinking back. But was finally at CP4.
I was feeling it a bit .. Well a lot actually. My efforts in replacing the fork oil hadnt stopped the harsh ride. May have been suitable for the track but 1000miles is no track. I could barely pull the clutch and my throttle hand was no better. They ached. So I let my friends head off. Once they were gone the ride was back to just me. I was doing this ride for me. And the end was in-sight. Pulling out wasn’t to be considered any more. I setoff. Not with renewed strength, just with renewed resolve.

5th Leg
Was familiar roads and I really thought my riding buddies had taken a wrong turn. They should have been around the next corner, but finally found then in Putaruru. Off to Rotoura where it was starting to get light. And pressed onward to Awakeri CP5.

6thLeg
A quick fill and back to TeTeko turn right to who knows where….
Got over the Dam and started down the other side .. road straightened out over a bridge and I gunned it and the engine just free revved. Pulled the clutch and coasted over the bridge. Let the clutch and no drive. Stopped and got off the bike to see that where my rear sprocket used to be was vacant space. This looked serious. Parked up before my riding buddies had returned, sent them back up the road to see if they could find anything. They returned with the sprocket. My ride was over. Checked my phone, no- coverage to call Lee. Darn
So I got pilloned onto Taupo. It was about an hour away.. a long hour.
In Taupo they deposited me an some lonely street and I waved goodbye. Thanks guys for the ride. I walked a couple of sections and down the drive where I had started my Saturday.
They were all still asleep, curtains closed. But came to the door, glad to see me alive !!
Got my phone on charge and rang “kickingzebra” Jono, who was staying in a motel around the corner. But wait thers’ more…. He had veen racing at Taupo the previous day and on the back of his truck was a trailer with room for another bike.
So invited them around for breakfast where we made room for 2 more passengers and off we went. Man it was a treck…. But dispite ribbing from friends about there would be nothing left of my bike etc etc. It was still there…. Mostly

Some person with less morals had taken a fancy to my spot lights and… despite them being attached had detached them and they were gone. Small problem I know .. they had left the bike :)

So Many thanks to my long-suffering friends Jono and Bronwyn we spent the rest of the day getting home.
Now my next mission is to find in New Zealand some bits for a VFR…. To get me back on the road.
I’m pleased it happened there than on our planned SI trip.

In Reflection
Did I enjoy it…. Yea, now that my hands have started working and the aches and pains have mellowed… Would I do it again…
Well it’s a big “0” birthday next year and people have been known to do silly things on a “0” year, so .. well if it was tomorrow I probably would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a night, Where else could you get such an awesomely challenging ride and stay up all night and not feel the need for sleep.
I cant wait to see it all on DVD. Wish I could have been there at the finish.

Parts Needed (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37301)

warewolf
21st October 2006, 11:49
Cheers all for the write-ups. Good to meet a few more KBers, however briefly. Here's my contribution:

It was a last minute call but I decided that doing the Kiwi Rider Kaipara Adventure followed by a few days gravel touring back south with the Welly boys was the thing to do for Labour weekend. So it was that I would do the GC on the in-your-face-orange KTM 640 Adventure for the second year running; the choice not driven by the GC but the other event I'd do on this trip.

This year I was without the sheepskin seat cover that I had blagged from a mate for last time, so maybe that would be bad news for my butt? On top of that I'd fitted a Kenda K270 knobby tyre to do both events. A bit of an experiment as I'd never run one before. On-line reviewers often reported 4500km from them, a couple of lads locally claim 15,000km. Hmmm, I need around 3,500km but realistically don't want them shagged doing the trip north plus the GC, all up 2,500km before I even start the adventure ride! Only one way to find out.

The trip north to Turangi was uneventful. As an ex-JAFA, it felt a bit strange to be heading north to Turangi for the GC; last year I was already living in Nelson at the time but spent the week prior working in Auckland, so heading south for the GC was just like normal. I did a bit of exploring north of Cheltenham, zigzagging around a bit late on Friday to sneak in a few new roads and some gravel as darkness was falling. If you think SH54 via Vinegar Hill is a great alternative to SH1 through Bulls, then give Otara Road a shot. Then there is the multitude of roads north of that again. Don't believe the maps: too many are now sealed.

This brings me to the GC proper. The route looked good just outlined on the map on the wall. Cool. Or should I say, "Mild." Yep, the weather was really mild this year. Getting to Turangi Friday night would usually involve a test of the thermals, but not this year.

Scrutineering was no problem; the only matter of interest was the dings in the front rim. Thanks KTM for putting soft rims on the heaviest and fastest bikes in the range. Duh.

At the rider briefing, they drew the raffle being run as a fundraiser for the motion picture production...Grand Challenge...do the ride, buy the DVD, show your mates what they are missing. They started at the top, first drawing the winner of the set of Avon tyres...and called my name. I'm still stunned by that. Given how much rubber gets spread around the country by this event, it's an apt prize. Thanks Avon. Next year I might be on the Triumph Trophy again, shod in Avon rubber!

So our little group left about 3:12pm as part of the light green group. Dave on the blue/white Yamaha FZ750 and Ian (first timer) on the silver Triumph Sprint ST made up our trio. I followed Dave until about the second corner up the hill on SH41 west of Turangi, and then just had to enjoy the wonderful sensation of cheap knobbies that don't hold the road so well. Aaaaaaaaah! They may not be the fastest way to get around a corner, but they gotta be the funnest!

I was hoping the grey clouds over the hill would just be dreariness on the summit, but no, it was rain that continued down the other side. This section of road is often slippery, so I was taking it pretty easy with a dodgy knobby on the rear. It was dry again by the time we reached Taumarunui and the start of the really fun stuff on SH43, the Forgotten World Highway. I live for roads like this. Major state highways are just motoring boredom connecting the interesting stuff. If you like corners, this is where it's at. All too soon we turned north to Ohura, but the road stayed entertaining all the way to SH4. A couple of riders merged with the scenery along here, fortunately they were OK.

From SH4 we headed north then turned west. Again, back onto the really beaut roads to cut through to SH3. This section was fabulous. The KTM was in its element...love it. I'd last done this road when SH3 was closed due to slips. At the time, Totoro Road was upgraded to cope with the traffic. If you thought it was bad now, think how it must have been before all the improvements! Personally, I reckon it's great the way it is now.

And so we headed south on SH3. I couldn't resist passing a big bunch of bikes dawdling along some road works, even if I couldn't wick it up for fear of showering them with rocks. The price one must pay to enjoy a group ride. A few people were worried about go juice along this stretch. We'd worked out that we could get the 327km to New Plymouth on the 350km shortest safe range of the bikes, but the guys hit the panic button at Urenui GAS, 310km. No worries. We agreed to stop in New Plymouth for a burger or something, as I was getting peckish by this stage. A couple of poor sods followed us as we went round the block to get to the burger joint, but I guess they found their way back on to the main road of their own accord. The three of us fed and layered up some thermals before heading off just prior to 8pm.

The stretch to Wanganui 'round the Surf Coast Highway was hard work. It was dark, blustery and wet. The alloy handlebars of the KTM suck the heat out of the heated grips unless you keep your hands on the bars. Wiping my visor every 20-30 seconds was really irritating, not just because of the reduced vision, but because my left grip was getting cold! D'oh! Hawera Check Point 1 was a brief respite. Wanganui couldn't arrive soon enough.

But upon arrival at the Wanganui Gull, all was not well. A big shiny new corporate 'service' station (or lack thereof), the pumps were on pre-pay. If you wanted say $15.94 to fill, you had to pay the chap $20 cash, fill your bike, then come back in again and he'll refund you the difference. And he wouldn't take credit cards. Yeah, Right. "I'm outta here," I says. "F*ck this sh*t!" I was thinking. We'll head up the road to the BP I normally use. Rock up there, they've got signs on the pumps, "Pre-pay, for credit cards leave them at the counter". Cool, I thought, this is how it normally works. I turn around to walk in to the counter, and am greeted by a friendly wave by the attendant saying, "it's cool" and the pumps click on. Unreal. Fill up, go in to pay, tell the chap about the Gull turning away business. Turns out the chap behind the till at the Gull is his flatmate! Hope the poor sod gets some serious winding up about his customer service skills.

Fuelled up, I'm looking forward to the stretch from Wanganui through Fordell to Hunterville. Not only is it promising to be suitably tight and twisty, but it's new to me...as Mr Burns says, airxcellent! It didn't disappoint. Another neat road! Ian knew this stretch, so navigation for us was not an issue as it was for others. While waiting for the other two to catch up, I spied a neat looking bridge. As I scooted across for a time-wasting squiz, I met a couple of chaps returning from taking this as a wrong turn. By the time I'd turned around, the boys had arrived and continued on. Hunterville was just a quick Check Point for us.

The next interesting bit was Vinegar Hill, SH54. A lot of this road is much more difficult in the dark, when I just can't seem to pick a good line through the corners. Along this stretch was a temporary army-style bridge with steep on & off ramps. Cool...a wee mono off the up-ramp, followed by a launch off the down ramp for a rear-biased almost-flat landing...woo hoo! I did think about going back for a second (and thus third) go, but was in the groove so kept going. At the summit I parked up in the lookout to watch the lights of the bikes climbing the hill, setting off again behind Dave. I've watched a few daytime storms from this lookout. Great view.

I reckon this part of the country is one of the most interesting, geographically speaking. Although it's really just a series of valleys, the sides are really broken up due to the multiple sedimentation/erosion layers (or whatever, I'm no geographer) and there's lots of nooks and crannies hiding interesting views or things to see. One thing I can tell you for sure: it lends itself to outstanding riding.

(read on for Part 2)

warewolf
21st October 2006, 11:50
(Part 2)

Heading west through Colyton to Ashhurst was so-so. At Ashhurst, Dave turned north on the main road, a couple of dudes behind us turned south. Not a good sign. I played along until we hit the town boundary and the signs saying Pohangina. There were no signs suggesting the Saddle Road, Woodville or anything useful, and I knew Pohangina was nowheresville. I gas up the orange beast and flag down Dave. "Know where you are going?" I enquire, wondering if he knew how to make this link up. "Nup." Okay, we head back in to town and meet up with some other wary souls. South, I reckon, watch for signs. Next block south we pick up some massive signs and we are back on track. Along our previous sojourn we could've turned right at any point to link up to the Saddle Road, but a) no-one in our group knew this, and b) there were no signs.

The Saddle Road, particularly down the east side, was the nastiest part of the whole ride. Wind, rain, darkness, big patches of slick shiny tar bleed - we had it all. Over-zealous constabulary was the only 'orrible thing missing. Did I mention the big patches of tar bleed? Hmmm, and me with a dodgy rear knobby. Wot? Me worry?

The next drone was up SH2 to Dannevirke before the neat section out to Weber. I've done this part in the dry a couple of times before. The first time was a bit unpleasant, being an uncomfortable hot summer day with a grumpy pillion. We weren't sure where we were going, or where the roads were going, we were hot and sweaty (not as nice on the bike as it is in the sack) and my pillion in a million was also suffering sore butt & caffeine withdrawal. It just wasn't the most brilliant of days. Tonight, however, it was brilliant! Mostly dry, but plenty of downed branches, scattered all over the road. And neither of those last two are exaggerations. We lazily sauntered through that section. Only twice did I have to change line due to the fallen debris. Mostly you could plot a smooth line around it, sure the other side of the road came in handy at times, but it wasn't around blind corners.

I would tell you we went past Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu but I can't spell it and my keyboard doesn't have that many letters. Eventually we arrived at Waipukurau, at the right gas station on only the second attempt! Check Point 3, gas and onwards to Napier. We took the long slow way through town, not being sure about SH50A. I thought it was the SH50 turn but I was wrong and we paid the price. I'm sure I recognised a couple of bikes zooming past when we hit SH2 again as being still parked up at the last gas station when we left.

Eskdale and the Esk River valley was COLD, but improved very rapidly as we climbed. A bit of a shock to the system. I was still only wearing basic cool evening gear at this point. I was hoping to brave it as long as I could - which meant Taupo before I donned the polypropylene balaclava - and that was standing around on the forecourt shortly after dawn...brrrrr. The eastern end of the Napier-Taupo highway was fine, maybe the first time I've ever ridden it in the dry. The road works were a non-event on the KTM, as expected. Guys you need to warn me about MOTORWAYS not about the interesting stuff! The Taupo end was dull and wet. The boys had a quick splash'n'dash fuel top-up, I had a quick coffee.

Poihipi Road to Whakamaru was next. I'd come the other way only a few weeks ago, perhaps for the first time (said the actress to the bishop) and I thought it was pretty damn neat then. It was almost as good going the other way in the wet. For the nth time, the Bennydale Road (SH30 from Mangakino to Te Kuiti) was wet on a GC...how unusual. I recall an anecdote of Lee Rusty’s; he was talking to a lady about how neat the Bennydale Road was. She hated it. You'd only hate it, says Lee, if you'd only done it in the wet or dark. And guess what, she'd never done it in fair weather. Must've only ridden it on GCs.

Te Kuiti Shell was Check Point 4, food, fuel, chin-wag and rest stop. Last fuel stop for me. The rain set in again near Kihikihi, where we hung a right towards Putaruru via Aranui. This section was a little dicey. The rear knobby had worn in; it had no sharp edges giving sudden traction differences. However the front tyre was well on the way out now and was noticeably struggling for grip on the slick shiny stuff. Rather than stepping the back out, getting on the power pushed the front. Bugger. I was also starting to feel a bit tired and failed to appreciate the beauty of the area around the dam and the detour route, a road where I normally slow down and savour the view. This time I did the former but not the latter. We first were shown the suspension bridge by a mate on a previous Rusty Nuts event, possibly the Easy Rider run. At the time it was a quiet backwater dead-end road. Now it is the main highway. Seems to have lost some of its mystic beauty in the process.

Hmmm, where'd we go next? From Putaruru, head north on SH1 (bleah!) to Tokoroa, TR onto SH28 (Whites Road if you must, fellahs) shortly followed by TR onto SH5 to Rotorua. The highlight of this section was...err, nothing. At least heading north around the lake was a new road for me on the bike, maybe? I know I've been round here in the car, taking my parents on a tourist trip. But I did remember the corners in a 'bike' sense, which means I must've ridden them before. Does anyone else get that? Ride a set of corners and it sticks in your mind, you at least vaguely remember the lines and the flow, but drive them in a car and the same set of corners is completely forgettable? Bizarre.

Oh well, round the lake we went, and then back on to SH30 to Awakeri. Another splash of go juice for the boys, another coffee for me. Off comes the balaclava, the clear fog-off visor is swapped for the dark tint, and the rubber over boots are biffed. Feels better already! Back down the way we just came, hang a lefticle to Galatea. We went across some dam or other, after which the road became more interesting, winding its way through the pine forest. Another section I quite enjoyed, chucking the KTM into the corners in order to 'upset' the rear knobby. Approaching Galatea along the straight I'm dawdling along at 100-105km/h when I spy a dude in a hi-vis vest beside a car. Next thing he's got something on a tripod and crouching down behind it. Hmmm, cop with a laser speed device? I instinctively slow down, as I get closer I realise its Nitro Media crew getting some footage. Hey dude, I thought, get thee to a decent corner, I'll give you something to shoot!

Coming through this section I started to feel a little sad. It's nearly over, and like most years at this point I'm wishing it'll never end, realising it's been great fun. I'm not even thinking about my sore arse...more corners, please! As I sat there at Murupara waiting for the boys to catch up, I'm eyeing off the start of the Waikaremoana Road, wondering how much I could sneak in and still make the 24 hour cut off. SH38 from Murupara to Taupo was boring. The strange thing was spotting my Auckland Triumph mates waiting to turn right out of the Napier highway, coming back from the RAT RAID at Masterton. Mad enthusiastic waves were duly exchanged. Then on the southern edge of town, an unidentified Triumph Scrambler rider waves as he goes past, then pulls a u-turn. Hey! I recognise the aggressive/confident u-turn style...its Big Dave. I pull over so we can chat; he's blagged the Scrambler and a helmet for the RAID, plus was wearing a rain suit over his 'signature' Triumph chequer-strip jacket. Incognito, no wonder I didn't recognise him at first. Brief words of praise for our respective mounts and weekends were exchanged, along with promises of getting in touch...I'm on a timetable...catch you during the week while I'm in town.

South from there I picked up the boys who were by this stage getting worried I'd had bike trouble (likely fuel, as I'd warned them I'd probably hit reserve) and continued on with the last 50km stretch along SH1 to Turangi. The joys of a big tank: 444km since Te Kuiti and didn't even hit reserve. As we rocked in to the Rusty temporary HQ, the feeling of achievement started to sink in. Awesome! The Nitro crew jumped on me as I parked up; not at my best, still 'zoned in' on the ride, introspective and not up to witty repartee, but what the heck, I guess they got the raw emotion, whatever that was?

Time for reflection, another great GC weekend. It wasn't freezing cold for hours on end but there were parts that were Grandly Challenging, mostly the wet, slippery sections. Overall I thought it was a fantastic route. Plenty of interesting, tight, twisty back roads to enjoy scattered throughout the route.

The KTM didn't seem any worse without the sheepskin, my butt promptly recovered as soon as I was off the bike. The only sore part of the bod was my dodgy right knee; even that was a mere niggle. Lucky, as I still had 330km to ride to Auckland later in the day. The Narva "Plus 50" xenon-mix headlight bulbs are worthwhile; they put out substantially more light than standard halogens. Although unfortunately they don't shine around corners.

The stats: 1639km, 23 hours, 78.36L of PULP for $117.71 = 4.78L/100km. Oh, and 40% of a $116 knobby tyre...Priceless!

Thanks to the Rusty Nuts team for another great event. Thanks also to Avon tyres for supporting the production of the DVD. I assure you the prize tyres are going to a good home with someone who will appreciate them.

21st Grand Challenge 2007...bring it on!

Hitcher
21st October 2006, 14:30
Fantastic write-up, warewolf. I was the lead bike in the stream that you overtook on the SH3 roadworks at Mahoenui. The sight of you roaring past, standing up on the Duke's pegs while the rest of us teetered tentatively across the king-sized gravel, is one of my Challenge highlights. Again, where were the video cameras when they were really needed?

warewolf
22nd October 2006, 23:02
The sight of you roaring past, standing up on the Duke's pegs while the rest of us teetered tentatively across the king-sized gravel, is one of my Challenge highlights.Glad I made your day! :yes: But, ummm, that was taking it easy to avoid spraying you lot with gravel etc

Again, where were the video cameras when they were really needed?Uh huh. I had plenty of moments like that. That Kenda knobby was great fun.