PDA

View Full Version : ZZR400 chain

mikey62
16th October 2006, 18:27
Hi folks, first post :baby: and can't see any where that someone else may have posted this, but I am replacing chain and both sprockets on my '93 ZZR400 and the local bike shop was suprised that the ZZR400 takes a 520 chain. Anyone ever replaced a chain on these with a smaller grading ?

raster
23rd October 2006, 21:39
Havn't done my chain yet, I have smaller rear sprocket to go onto mine when I get around to it.
I had a quick look in the manual(in jpg) I had which is for the 600(mostly same) but couldn't see any ref. to chain. I'll have a closer look next week when I get home(driving to Wgtn 5am tomorrow).
I only have microfiches for the 400.

When you do it grease the rear swing arm before hand, changes the tension or the chain and if it is dry will make a major diference to the feel of the bike.

What?
25th October 2006, 05:32
...the local bike shop was suprised that the ZZR400 takes a 520 chain..

Why? 520 is exactly what one would expect to find on a bike that size (and many smaller and larger ones as well)

mikey62
29th October 2006, 06:45
Ended up putting the 530 chain on but the link was a press plate type and I couldn't get the pins thru far enuf so put the old clip link on. BIG MISTAKE. Rode the 40k's to and from work then the next day was leaving the driveway and the link shat itself. :gob: Went to Mt Eden Motorcycles and got a new link but also learned a new trick for press plate links.

Once you squeeze the pins thru so they flush with the top of the press plate put a small nut on the plate small enuf to fit between the 2 pins then continue to squeeze that way you can draw the pins thru and bevel them over.

mikey62
29th October 2006, 06:50
[QUOTE=raster;798055]Havn't done my chain yet, I have smaller rear sprocket to go onto mine when I get around to it.
I had a quick look in the manual(in jpg)

raster
1st November 2006, 22:43
off the web, it is a ZZR 600 manual though, 65MB.
I can put it onto CD for you if you want.