PDA

View Full Version : how many turbos are out there

fastford111
3rd July 2004, 17:27
how many of you lot in nz own a turbo bike and what sort i have a gpz750 turbo and a second one in pices just looking at another in western aussie :cool:

Kickaha
3rd July 2004, 17:31
Well we're still working on it but the turbo XL100 should be going later this month,complete with alcohol/water injection.

Two Smoker
3rd July 2004, 18:02
Three names come too mind, Death Inc. (ZX750 Turbo, heavily modded) KK (GPZ750 E2) and Nodman (ZX750 Turbo)

fastford111
3rd July 2004, 18:28
glad to hear they are out their and their might be 3 more next year as i might be moveing home

Firefight
3rd July 2004, 18:31
Three names come too mind, Death Inc. (ZX750 Turbo, heavily modded) KK (GPZ750 E2) and Nodman (ZX750 Turbo)

I think Richard in Whakatane has one as well, some of the bike techo detail
geeks would know.

F/F :bleh:

Motu
3rd July 2004, 19:54
Got a turbo and intercooler on the Pajero - thanks for letting me in your club guys,us power freaks gotta stick together eh? My brothers got a Suzuki Turbo,but he's in Canada....

DEATH_INC.
3rd July 2004, 20:01
Yeh,he knows about mine(I have one of his frames in my shed....)richard goes under '130wide' I think on here.we have another with a CM400turbo too....and another man out west with a mcintosh framed beast too....
My 4WD's turbo'd and intercooled too,wanna race? :Pokey:
http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/kawasaki-750turbo-84-bikepics-163150.jpg

speedpro
3rd July 2004, 22:49
For a while there I was doing really well in the turbo stakes. I had a Nissan Cefiro with a RB20DET(with a modified TO3) and a Mitsi L200 with a 2.3L turbo ford engine plus the McIntosh Kawasaki turbo. Down to just the bike now, but, I have just started getting serious again with the blown 125 twin - does that count?

dangerous
3rd July 2004, 23:13
Did have a CX500 turbo, It was the most awesome bike I've ever ridden just love that high pitch sound as it winds up, role on speed was increadable.
A mate had the only (at that time) CX650tc in the 80's and that thing just wheel spun that skinny tyre every were.

The idea of turning wast energy into usable HP is great unlike supercharging were you use HP to gain more HP.
The bike I had went up to Auckland a few years back when I sold it I brought it at 6800k adjusted the wastgate and opened the pipes out by using the std shape pipe but replacing the inners to that similer to a moderen race can which made for a much better mid range and making the lag less which is the only downfall of a turbo twin.

DEATH_INC.
4th July 2004, 08:22
this is fastfords turbo that I've got over here,been doing the suspension conversion.(with my plastics...)

fastford111
4th July 2004, 14:49
all forced induction is welcom here :rockon:

Holy Roller
4th July 2004, 17:33
I think Richard in Whakatane has one as well, some of the bike techo detail
geeks would know.

F/F :bleh:
Yip hes got one but just done the turbo in on it, now its just a turbo oil sprayer until he gets it fixed. :2guns:

dangerous
4th July 2004, 17:50
While we are talking turb's a mate has a ('man I realy dont want ta say it') Yamaha XJ650 turbo and he needs a turbo for it. The question is what type of turbo is on it? I think it's a Mitsi but need to know which one.

As you lot will know the XJ runs a suck through rather than a blow through turb so it has to be the right sort.... I think, as the only other jap turbo, the Z1 ran this set up.

DEATH_INC.
4th July 2004, 17:54
You sure it's a draw-thru system?I thought they blew thru the carbs....

dangerous
4th July 2004, 18:11
You sure it's a draw-thru system?I thought they blew thru the carbs....

Arrr..... yeah, sorry thats what I ment. The XJ being carbed draws the fuel mix through the turbo were as the CX, XN & GPZ are injected and the fuel mix is pushed into the manifold so this is why the XJ turbo differes from the rest, make more sence this time :rolleyes:

scumdog
4th July 2004, 18:14
Got a "resting" '83 Suzuki XN85, was running when I bought it but waste-gate was stuck open :eek5:

dangerous
4th July 2004, 18:14
Ohhhh crap..... now that I read my last post it dosent seem right, bugger it I'd beter go and find a book read up and come back when I'm not sounding like a dumb shit :stupid:

DEATH_INC.
4th July 2004, 18:19
If that's the case you can use any turbo,there's no gas to worry about at the turbo.you'll prolly have to f**k about making flanges ect,but then you'll be able to use a much more modern unit.The primary off a twin turbo legacy is a nice little unit.And don't worry about the water jacket,they work fine dry.

Pickle
4th July 2004, 20:28
Mate in Hawkes Bay has a Buell somethnig with a Turbo on it. It looks the part, goes better than standard but leaks oil from everywhere. All done in the back shed.
Still cant keep up with his missus on her ZX7R

Speedpro remember you still owe me & Viv a ride on your Turbo :scooter:

dangerous
4th July 2004, 21:15
Mate in Hawkes Bay has a Buell somethnig with a Turbo on it.

good god those things are over stressed as it is... were did he put it?

Pickle
4th July 2004, 21:25
Hey the Buell is great, has been converted to chain as it kept breaking drive belts. The front engine mount has only broken twice with the engine hitting the deck once & the rivets holding the front disc have all been replaced as they work their way loose & some electrical gremlins which have seen new battery be installed.
We're just waiting to see which bit will break next, good entertainment.

Pickle
4th July 2004, 21:25
Turbo is up high on the left hand side, has exhaust plumbing everywhere.
Will try & get some photo's to post or get kiwizrx to.

Eddieb
5th July 2004, 15:51
What actually needs to be done to put a turbo on a basic carburated bike?

Is it as simple as mounting it and doing all the plumbing or is it more involved than that. I think I recall reading somewhere that on most modern engines you have to lower the compression ratio?

From a turbo noob who has never owned a turbo and knows virtually nothing about them except they spin real fast and make you go faster.

Anyone have any informative how to links?

Mongoose
5th July 2004, 16:35
There is/was a V-Max running a Super Charger down south here, does that count? From what can gather it ws a charger off a small Jap car mounted between the V with the intakes poking up thru the imatation fuel tank. Always thought what an eay way to get the black jersey sucked off you if you leaned over the * tank*. Two methds of riding this thing hard appeared to be let it wheel spin like hell or carry the front wheel for ages, take your pick. The other slight problem was the belt drive was with in an inch of your knee and only had a light guard between it and your knee.

NodMan
5th July 2004, 17:48
how many of you lot in nz own a turbo bike and what sort i have a gpz750 turbo and a second one in pices just looking at another in western aussie :cool:

hey dude ..kk and I share the GPZ turbo cause he was only 16 when he wanted to buy it off a mate of mine (he had all the jap turbos in his shed as well as the suzi XN rotor)...KK can run it now hes got better on the track... soon as we do repaint..... cause I still got the ol Z1R turbo waiting in pieces for a rebuild...thats my REAL TOY......

we got KOMPRESSOR on my mister 2 an KK wants to put that on his drag bike but I wanna run it on a V MAX if anyones got a spare MAX mota..

What?
5th July 2004, 19:05
Dollars, low compression forged pistons, dollars, decent con rods, strengthened crankshaft and dollars. Then you have to buy the turbo, a carburretor, probably an oil cooler and...
I remember seeing a turbocharged CBX at Manfeild a few years back. Looked truly awesome (and that wasn't a regular word back then)

dangerous
5th July 2004, 19:15
Anyone have any informative how to links?

You can just fit one up but the boost pressure would have to be set quite low which wouldent give the full benifit but will still make a difference.

The correct mods to do would be as per my CX was altered by Honda
lower compression
smaler valves
semi forged con rods & pistons
much stronger clutch
oil cooler
valcro hand grips and seat :rolleyes:

and for your last question this is the only one I can find in my favorites and I cant remember how involved it is http://www.turbomotorcycles.org/

ps: as for carbs, they realy need to be a special kind un less the turbo sucks the fuel mix through the unit..... so I'd hiff em and put injection on

speedpro
5th July 2004, 20:10
big valves are good, same flow but at lower boost and temperature, which means you can run a little bit more boost and make more power. It works the same as a normally aspiratd motor. Good head work is advantageous as well for the same reasons - flow, boost, temperature.

dangerous
5th July 2004, 20:27
big valves are good, same flow but at lower boost and temperature

Yeah I did wounder that, so I dont know why Honda went for the smaller maybe something to do with strenthening them up. Honda did go over board a bit with the 500tc as the 650tc was scaled down a little eg: 4 less sences and removing the response chamber etc.

pete376403
6th July 2004, 09:32
I did a turbo Mini engine some years back for a speedway car. Wasn't hard, reasonable cost and very effective (about 130hp at the wheels on a rolling road dyno)
Standard 1300 block, standard crank offset ground to take S rods (smaller journal), Datsun 1200 pistons. This gave a static CR of approx 8:1 which was ok to start with. S valves, 649 cam. 45 DCOE with DellOrto plastic float, IHI RHB6P11 turbo on a fabricated manifold, the turbo was located over the transfer housing (very convenient place to drain the oil to). Turbo blew into an alloy box on the front of the carb, also pressurised the float chamber (hence the plastic floats - weber ones were sheet brass and they collapsed under pressure) Dual sealed bearing each side of the butterfly spindle. Triumph 2.5PI fuel pump, home made regulator valve that had static fuel pressure at about 4 - 5 PSI but increased as boost pressure came on.
Max boost pressure was about 10 PSI and water injection was tried which turned on at about 6 -7 PSI.

This engine was extemely reliable and competed in a class of up to 2.3 litres. It won enough championships that eventually turbos were banned in this class. The car owner spent a fortune trying to make a naturally aspirated engine develop similar power.

I still have an IHI turbo at home. Putting it on the GS1100 is on the list of things I'd like to do (but probably never will)

DEATH_INC.
6th July 2004, 14:43
When we did the CM we simply plumbed her up and went.Since then we've lowered the compression for reliability,but it ran fine as it was.
There are a few kits around that bolt on with no mods,but most only run 4-5 psi,enough to give a bit of a boost,but not earth shattering performance.
The easiest way is draw-thru,where the turbo sucks thru the carb,you're supposed to run a fully sealed turbo to do this,but with the small amount of vacume generated on a bike,it's not normally too much of a problem.The turbo needs to be above the oil level of the engine( so it can drain back in...)and reduced compression will be a bonus.Make a simple intake manifold,with the inlet from the turbo at an angle so it doesn't aim at any of the ports,otherwise it will send more fuel to one of them,usually resulting in another being lean(not good).Make a set of headerpipes,simple,you don't need to worry about tuned lengths too much,as short as possible(helps reduce lag)running to the turbo.Find an oil feed,the pressure switch hole normally works well,and plumb it up to the turbo.make up a return for the oil,keep it big,and plumb it into the cranckcases(the clutch cover works well as you can remove it easily for machining)remembering to keep it above the oil level.Easy.
Things to watch for:Lack of oil volume/pressure,bikes don't have huge pumps or sumps so the bit you're stealing for the turbo may starve something else.....
Backfiring and blowing the intake manifolds off the engine,cured by fitting some sort of large pressure releif valve.
Mixtures,a turbo will melt pistons real quick if you lean out at high rpm....
Gearbox,clutch ect,if you're making twice the output of the stock engine(blown gears are common on non factory turbo bikes).....
Of course there's lotsa little common sense stuff too.
And contrary to belief,you'll need a muffler,a turbo is only quiet when it's not making boost.....
Good luck,and don't come growling when you blow it/yourself up......

dangerous
6th July 2004, 18:41
While we are talking turb's a mate has a ('man I realy dont want ta say it') Yamaha XJ650 turbo and he needs a turbo for it. The question is what type of turbo is on it?

Ok the XJ which blows through the sealed carbs (these are different to the std type of carb) has a 16G turbo like those used by Mitsi but in order to corectly match a turbo my mate needs more info other than a 16G........ any help is welcome.

ps: the turb for this bike is missing.

DEATH_INC.
6th July 2004, 19:51
If you're looking for a replacement you don't need to be too fussy.anything round t2 size will work ok.
If you want an original,good luck but you could try the turbo motorcycle owners site: http://www.turbomotorcycles.org/

dangerous
6th July 2004, 20:12
If you're looking for a replacement you don't need to be too fussy.anything round t2 size will work ok.
If you want an original,good luck

Hay thanks for all the help, My mate with the XJ wants to restore it to orig I dont like his chances at finding the correct turb either, I would be going for a sub turb or similer aswell..... hell its not like they were a very nice bike to start with the performance wasent that much better than the 750 nat asp that went into the same frame and boby work in the following year.