PDA

View Full Version : VMCC Round 6 race report

HDTboy
17th October 2006, 09:30
Race day started with my bike in bits, and still not fully prepared for racing. Snot, my faithful pit-bitch, and I unloaded the bike, and stole a spot under VTECs tent. We (Snot) got the bike ready to race in no time at all, then I went over and had fun signing in when I found out that they'd misplaced my transponder.

After riders briefing, I got the transponder sorted, and Sugilite offered me the use of his generator for the day. I now had all the gear I needed, Yay!

Due to having not been on my bike for the last three months, and having a new motor in it which I hadn't tried out yet, I went out in the scrub in session, and met up with Texmo on the track. Mate you're looking good on the new bike.

Post Classic Qualifying saw me go out with Paul Martindale, and Deano. it was the CBR400 boys. The other two guys soon started to put distance between themselves and me. When I found I'd qualified 14th of 28 bikes I was happy though.
F3 Qualifying I managed to get 13th spot of 30 bikes, and ground my exhaust and fairing at one point.

Post Classic race one I got a shocking start, dipped the clutch again, wheelstood off the line, and had bikes going past me everywhere. I got a couple of places back in the first few corners, only to have to avoid a fallen bike and rider in turn 7. The restart wasn't any better. I ended up finishing behind where I started.

F3 Race one Another green flag, another bad start. Eventually I ended up circulating with Paul Martindale, and couldn't understand why he was looking back so often while he was in frontof me. The race was red flagged after SVSs big spill (Hope you're ok). Speaking to Paul later on, I found out that he'd been waiting for me, and I was a lot slower than him everywhere, especially on the straights. Examining lap times later in the day, I saw he'd been doing 1:55s while I was around the 1:59 mark.

With my cockiness sufficiently broken, I headed out for the second post classic race. Not one to break a trend, I went backwards again at the start, adn spent the rest of the race working my way forward through the field again.

My last race of the day was F3 Race two. I got a slightly better start this time after listening to what Weestromer the sideline racer had to say (Thanks T), and made up a few positions in the first few corners. In the first lap I outbraked myself in a big way at the end of the main straight, which killed all of my corner speed through to the front straight. That did it> I was so pissed off with myself for letting the group ahead get away that I put in my three best, most consistent laps of the day. I was finally starting to get near the bikes limits. I could feel the rear shock protesting under acceleration, and had a few rear end slides exiting the old hairpin. I'd made up enough time to get in touch with the group I'd been chasing.

Overall I wasn't impressed with my own performance. Practise launching the bike is in order, as well as working on my consistency. Fastest lap of the day was 1:56.677, three whole seconds quicker than what I was averaging. I also need to get fit, and build up some strength in my clutch hand.
The bike needs time on the dyno, and preferably shorter gearing to help my launches, and prevent people leaving me behind on the straights.

Huge Thanks to Snot, my apprentice and pit-bitch for the day. Vtec, and his posse for pit space, encouragement and support. Sugilite, R4Q2, and E-man for the loan of your equipment. Weestromer for your advice. My Mum, and baby brother for coming to watch and bring food.

The biggest thanks has to go to Malcolm at Econohonda (http://www.econohonda.com/) (07)884 8810 for an unbeatable deal on a new motor to get me racing again.

I'm looking forward to the Pacific rounds where I'll be running F2, Post Classic, and F3 on my little CBR400. Anyone who knows different can keep quiet for now. Bring on Summer!!!!!!

Deano
17th October 2006, 09:43
more to follow.....

Did the boss catch you writing it up in work time ?:nono:

Paul M said he was with you for most of the first F3 race - how did your bike compare in straight line speed to his ?

HDTboy
17th October 2006, 09:54
Nah, I ran out of smoko time. The first F3 race is next

emaN
17th October 2006, 11:42
...wheelstood off the line.....

Gob's was better!!...:Punk:

Well done bro - was great seeing you out there and seeing that motor hold together!

emaN
17th October 2006, 11:46
10 characters charateristically characteristic to KB

emaN
17th October 2006, 11:49
PHRRRRP!!

"whuoah...that's better - damn those beans!"

Matt Bleck
17th October 2006, 11:57
Your welcome!!

HDTboy
17th October 2006, 11:57
PHRRRRP!!

"whuoah...that's better - damn those beans!"

It was soooo like that. Felt better after expelling too

emaN
17th October 2006, 12:05
Your welcome!!

+1 .

HDTboy
17th October 2006, 12:09
Your welcome!!

My welcome what?

Deano
17th October 2006, 12:22
How did your bike compare to Paul's in straight out speed ?

Matt Bleck
17th October 2006, 13:49
Huge Thanks to Snot, my apprentice and pit-bitch for the day. Vtec, and his posse for pit space, encouragement and support. Sugilite, R4Q2, and E-man for the loan of your equipment. Weestromer for your advice. My Mum, and baby brother for coming to watch and bring food.

Your welcome!!

My welcome what?

See first quote noddie!!

I'm hoping to be part of the Rotorua Rat Riders Team for the PCMM rounds! :Punk:

HDTboy
17th October 2006, 13:50
Badly, he was much faster in a straight line.

PCMM?

TONO
17th October 2006, 20:54
I thought you did pretty well considering..............:scooter:
If you cleaned some of the mud of your leathers and got them mended I reckon your lap times would drop markedly:gob: ...less weight & more aerodynamic:shutup:

Goblin
17th October 2006, 21:06
It was soooo like that. Felt better after expelling too Better an empty house than a bad tenant eh?

Great write up Gav. Looking foward to next time!:rockon:

vtec
17th October 2006, 22:06
Definitely fast becoming one of the characters of the racing scene, and all round good guy. You were pretty quick with your entry onto pit straight, was great to watch you there.

texmo
17th October 2006, 23:00
Your bike looks mint from a distance, I quite enjoyed watching it going around the track. pitty you can see all the duct tap, coat hangers and cable ties when you get close.
Alwase good to see you and it was great to meet "mum", she got a name by any chance so I dont have to call her mum?
Oh and good to meet jay. Sorry I couldnt come around to yours for a drink had to get home...

Matt Bleck
18th October 2006, 07:00
Definitely fast becoming one of the characters of the racing scene, and all round good guy. You were pretty quick with your entry onto pit straight, was great to watch you there.

oh dude, we gotta drink with this guy at the pub on friday & the Andrew Stroud story is enough to have to listen too!! :no:

HDTboy
18th October 2006, 09:24
I thought you did pretty well considering..............:scooter:
If you cleaned some of the mud of your leathers and got them mended I reckon your lap times would drop markedly:gob: ...less weight & more aerodynamic:shutup:
I'll drop them off this weekend, thanks Tony

Your bike looks mint from a distance, I quite enjoyed watching it going around the track. pitty you can see all the duct tap, coat hangers and cable ties when you get close.
Alwase good to see you and it was great to meet "mum", she got a name by any chance so I dont have to call her mum?
Oh and good to meet jay. Sorry I couldnt come around to yours for a drink had to get home...
You can call her Mum, I don't mind

oh dude, we gotta drink with this guy at the pub on friday & the Andrew Stroud story is enough to have to listen too!! :no:

MWahahaha

Keystone19
18th October 2006, 09:30
Awesome write up Gav. Was great to finally race against you properly! And really nice to meet your mum too!

cowpoos
18th October 2006, 13:03
good to see you made it man....and had a blast!!

kickingzebra
18th October 2006, 13:07
Good shizzle gav!
You know, we had saved you a pit, right next to us and finns happy generator...

Wanted to pop by your place, but by the time we had packed down etc (I seem to have a knack for being close to last out the gate... Mind you, got to drool over a ncie lambo because of it ;))
Then after prize giving we were too knackered!

Love you long time anyway!

babyB
18th October 2006, 18:30
way cool HDT was good to see ya out there again:2thumbsup
& stayin on track:dodge:

Motoracer
22nd October 2006, 15:19
I've seen you at close to your best before. This race meet was an average effort from you till the last race, which I throughly enjoyed. I could notice the higher corner speeds and greater leaning angle that you had then.

I reckon with some consistant time on the bike now that you've finally got a new motor, you should be able to bring out that talent you do have on to the race track.

HDTboy
24th October 2006, 09:23
Thanks buddy. I'll be going quicker this weekend coming.

It's funny, you say that you've seen me close to my best before, cause I reckon I've got a long way to go before I'll see my best

Motoracer
24th October 2006, 13:33
It's funny, you say that you've seen me close to my best before, cause I reckon I've got a long way to go before I'll see my best

I was talking about your current best ability.

As I used to say to Texmo, it is quite possible for quite a few people to be as good as Rossi if time was an unlimited factor. However the pace you learn at is the key to how talented a person is, given the fact that time is very limited in real life terms.

So, your true potential could almost be unlimited but how much of it you can explore in this life time is important.

HDTboy
24th October 2006, 14:34
That's so deep

emaN
24th October 2006, 15:06
oh,
i just tho't you were telling him he was a slow arse & needed to pull finger & take some 'hard-man' pills...

trust me to misinterpret....