PDA

View Full Version : Mid-range power loss

Calibre
18th October 2006, 12:24
My Hyosung GV250 is suffering from mid range power loss at around 5000-6000 rpm, like it's A CAR only running on 2 or 3 cylinders and it stutters and misfires.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what causes this problem.

I called the shop and they said they know what it is but wouldn't tell me over the phone, I have to bring it in which I don't want to do.

I think I'll try draining the carburetor (if it has a drain screw) because it might have water in it but other than that I'm at a loss.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Str8 Jacket
18th October 2006, 12:26
I called the shop and they said they know what it is but wouldn't tell me over the phone, I have to bring it in which I don't want to do.

Mate, I wouldnt be dealing with that shop again if I were you. Outstanding Customer Service - NOT!
Ring around other shops and see if they will be more helpful maybe?

Calibre
18th October 2006, 13:09
Mate, I wouldnt be dealing with that shop again if I were you. Outstanding Customer Service - NOT!
Ring around other shops and see if they will be more helpful maybe?

Thanks for your reply.

That's what I thought too. I have called 2 shops and although only one claimed to know exactly what the problem was, both want me to bring it in. Bringing the bike in is a mission, especially if it's something I can fix myself.

Str8 Jacket
18th October 2006, 13:11
Thanks for your reply.

That's what I thought too. I have called 2 shops and although only one claimed to know exactly what the problem was, both want me to bring it in. Bringing the bike in is a mission, especially if it's something I can fix myself.

IM definately no expert when it comes to bikes, but I wuld say that they would actually need to look at the bike to be able to give a correct diagnosis. Did you buy it from a shop or privately?

The_Dover
18th October 2006, 13:15
I'd be surprised if it was running on 3 cylinders!!

Take it to the shop if they know the fix. As it's a GV I would assume it's still under warranty (how long have they been bringing them in?).

If it's not under warranty and it's something you can't diagnose then why would you bother fucking with it?

I know the GT250 had a flat spot in the carburretion around 5000rpm anyway.

Ixion
18th October 2006, 13:22
I wouldn't be surprised if it were running on only two cylinders though :rofl:

kickingzebra
18th October 2006, 13:27
For the record Mr Calibre, your bike is a V twin.
Go the warantee route if you can, seeing as it is a 2005, should still be covered

Calibre
18th October 2006, 13:37
For the record Mr Calibre, your bike is a V twin.
Go the warantee route if you can, seeing as it is a 2005, should still be covered

I meant to say it's like a car only running on 2 or 3 cylinders, by way of example.

It is covered by warranty, but it means bringing it in to the shop

Squeak the Rat
18th October 2006, 13:41
It is covered by warranty, but it means bringing it in to the shop

And if you go fucking around with it and make it worse, guess what it won't be covered by warranty (unless your a qualified bike mechanic but I seriously doubt that)......

Take it to the shop mate.

Calibre
18th October 2006, 19:40
I found some information in other forums which I'll summarise here in case anyone else has this problem;

Hesitation in the 5000-6000 rpm range on the 2004 and 2005 Hyosung GV250 is a known issue and is caused by a faulty Capacitive Discharge Ignition unit in these models. The CDI should be replaced under warranty. If your bike is out of warranty, the part should cost roughly $150 (this is a guesstimate USD conversion) and can easily be fitted without tools in about 5 mins.

In addition the 2005 models were factory tuned very lean for fuel efficiency and should be re-tuned.

Presumably the shop knew all this when my bike went in for it's 1000k service. I think they should be replacing the CDI in all 2004/2005 Hyosung GV250s as a matter of course, not waiting until the faulty CDI has shat itself and then asking the customer to bring the bike back.

I wonder what my chances are of having a new Hyosung CDI couriered to my house under warranty so I don't have to take the bike in.

The_Dover
18th October 2006, 19:44
jesus fucking christ man, are you housebound or something??

if you've got time to sit whining on here you've got time to drop a fuckin bike at the shop. there's a hyoschlong dealer in otahuhu and you're in manukau.

tell you what, I'll drop it in for you if you want. I'll even thrash the crap out of it to make sure everything else is ok on it.

boomer
18th October 2006, 19:50
in all fairness Dover, would you want to be seen on a hyobag.

oh wait, my bad :shutup: