PDA

View Full Version : Sugilite Race Report-Actrix Series Round 6 Wrap Up

sugilite
18th October 2006, 22:44
RACE DAY
I'd not raced at Taupo before, so I turned up the same early time to get a pit. The usual cast of characters were there and I got a front row start lol
With the help of Kicking Zebra and his charming wife and Goblin we got the Easy Up tent in place and tied down against the gnarly wind that blew all day long!

My aim for the day was to wrap up the Senior Post Classic championship (That meant solid finishes and staying rubber side down!)
My aim for the Superbike class was to give Jay a go for 2nd in the championship. I knew that was going to be a up hill battle with the tyres I had available. The rear tyre did not suit the bike and gives instability problems in a straight line. The front was made in 2001 but was a 75 profile tyre which I hoped would help stabilize things.

POST CLASSIC - 1989 Kawasaki ZXR750 H1
Qualifying time: 1:49.833
I qualified on pole 3.5 faster than 2nd. I'd seen this before in post classic and expected the ambush come race one.

Race 1. 5 laps - Fastest lap 1:48.734
I got a crappy start and was about 5th into the 1st corner, but after 2 laps the race was red flagged. We formed up again and this time I holeshotted, 2 laps later I hear Steve Bridges Ducati coming, He passed me on the straight and I attacked him through the corners, I went to shove it up the inside on the right hander that leads to the straight to the sweeper and my knee hit a large cone filled with sand in the inside of the track. It was bloody painful and I backed off and went into championship mode and settled for 2nd after that!:mellow:

Race 2. 5 laps - Fastest lap 1:51.039
As you can see by my lap time I was cruising to win the championship. I'd decided to let the fast and consistent Paul Wotton to beat me in a race this year no matter how much he tried to entice me into a battle with him, onto these sly post classic tricksies I am :lol:
Unfortunately for him he ran off the track at the end of the straight and lost a lot of time! While cruising along I got a good look at Jason Denton on a ZXR400, this guy was flying, Wow! Bloody fast 400 too.
I pushed on again and finished the race in 2nd place and took the over all Post Classic Senior championship....on my standard 3K 70,000 km's roadbike :first:

FORMULA ONE: Kawasaki 2006 ZX10R
The bike had no new modifications since I last raced it.
Qualifying time: 1:41.859 5th fastest time.
My instability woes were still alive and well with my old tyres. The taller front helped a little under brakes.
I noticed the front was only luke warm after the session so took a few pounds out for the 1st race.

Race 1. 6 laps - Fastest lap 1:41.636
I got a less than stellar start and was swamped in the 1st corner I made up about 5 places within 2 laps then I came up on Darryl, It took a mistake from him to let me through and he was in pursuit all the way to the end. I finished 5th place

Race 2. 4 laps - Fastest lap 1:40.598
The race was restarted after being red flags came out for DSS's fall.
I got another less than stellar start and passed a few more people, I saw Bruce slowly drawing away in the distance, so just held my ground to finish 4th in the race and 3rd overall in the Championship :third:

I'd damaged my tail piece from trying to stop it slapping in the top 3 gears along the straights! We know what tyres we need and will hopefully have a few sets to test very soon.

The really good news is I'm doing the South Island rounds of the nationals now. Richard has agreed to sell his other kidney to finance the trip!
The ferry is booked and I'm joining the local gym!
I'll just be running the 10 as the 750 is surprisingly hard work and besides if I bring it, there will be no room for me to sleep in the van lol

A HUGE Thanks to Richard for all his support
Thanks also to Hewitts Motorcycles. They helped me out a few tight spots with the 750 in particular!

Thanks to Kicking Zebra, Goblin and Mental Trousers for their help in the pits! :done:

slowpoke
18th October 2006, 22:53
Great read as per usual Sir.
It's good hearing you work through these problems. Somewhere there is a tiny voice saying "I might be able to use that information one day" but it's drowned out by an an even louder voice kacking itself that I've got any hope of setting up a bike to perform at the limit.
The only time I ride a bike to it's limits is quite inadvertent and usually on the painful transition to over the limit.

babyB
18th October 2006, 23:25
cool write up Sugi :2thumbsup congrats at ya well done
was cool ta see ya out there
good news about the Sth hope it all goes well for ya:clap:

skelstar
19th October 2006, 07:49
Geez that was a short write up! ;)
Good to watch you racing as always mate.

Deano
19th October 2006, 07:52
Congrats on winning the championship mate.

kiwifruit
19th October 2006, 08:07
congrats Anthony :first:

loosebruce
19th October 2006, 08:12
Nice one Ant, good to catch up as always, and all going to plan will see you down south.

Take it easy mate.

kickingzebra
19th October 2006, 08:40
Yeeha!!! Mighty fine work there Anthony! One day I'll be able to keep you in sight on the track!

Keystone19
19th October 2006, 08:44
Awesome watching you race Anthony! And congrats on the placings!

Goblin
19th October 2006, 08:47
Congratulations Champion! :first: Your results speak for themselves.:third: Another couple of trophies to add to the collection.
All the very best for the Nats!:rockon:

emaN
19th October 2006, 08:56
Great stuff Ant!
Hope you get that stability issue sorted asap!

You sure that 'cone' wasn't a 'gnome' that popped up?

As geordies would say; "Champion mate!"

cowpoos
19th October 2006, 10:14
good stuff bro...got that number one sticker on the 750 yet???

HDTboy
19th October 2006, 11:34
Good to see you again Sugilite. Thanks muchly for the loan of the Generator

Matt Bleck
19th October 2006, 12:26
Good on ya Sugilite!!!

chanceyy
19th October 2006, 19:30
Congratulations buddy .. what an absolutely awesome result ... well deserved Ant :Punk:

& fantastic sponsorship Richard .. you the bomb :D :rockon:

dickytoo
19th October 2006, 23:42
& fantastic sponsorship Richard .. you the bomb :D :rockon:

That's OK. I've just put my retirement back another 30 years.

BTW, do you want to buy a kidney? only 1 owner, driven only on Sundays!

chanceyy
20th October 2006, 19:06
That's OK. I've just put my retirement back another 30 years.

BTW, do you want to buy a kidney? only 1 owner, driven only on Sundays!

hmmmm only on sunday huh .. is that after a heavy nite on Saturday perhaps .. mind you will keep that thought never know when one needs a kidney .. :dodge: :dodge:

mind you dunna know that i can afford your rates .. you might have to pay me to take it ... so put the retirement back 50 yrs
:shutup:

Motoracer
22nd October 2006, 14:58
Congrats on your achivements for the championship Ant. You looked real good out there.

Will look forward to see how you go at the Nats.

Steve_R6R
22nd October 2006, 22:29
Congradulations!
Awsome result, good luck for the nationals.
See ya

sugilite
23rd October 2006, 22:45
Thanks for the support everybody :yes:

I got a test in at the Vic club day and dialed the front end in a little better.

I'm looking forward to the South Island rounds of the Nats already :rockon: