PDA

View Full Version : New tyre release by Avon

Blackbird
19th October 2006, 11:27
I’ve been running the Avon Azaro “B” load rating tyres on my Blackbird for a couple of years now and have been pretty pleased with them as a good compromise between grip and longevity - great in the wet too. Avon has recently released the successor to the Azaro B in Europe. It’s called the Storm (see: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/index.php?page=tyres&method=showtyre&id=25) and initial feedback from the bike testers and biker websites says that it is a very impressive tyre. It was apparently developed for the heavier hyperbikes like the ‘busa and ‘bird (Oh, all right then, fat sprotsbikes according to Hitcher, hehe).

I’ve just contacted Dold Industries in Hamilton who import Avons and they will be available in the shops some time in December. I’ll be evaluating a set on our “Birds Galore” south island tour next year.

So there you are.... another tyre to add to the confusion:shutup:

Cheers

Geoff

Kwaka14
19th October 2006, 11:38
I'll try a set when they're here too, the old Azaro's have been great on the ZX12

Freebird
22nd October 2006, 11:46
Put me down for a set we can buy in bulk and try to get a discount, the Bird will be in need of some rubber when it arrives some time in dec.

Legolas
22nd October 2006, 20:38
You'll have to let me know how you get on with them M8.
I've probably got another 5000 k's left on my Azraro's so won't be needing them for a while.
I really like the Azaro's. Much better than the Bridgestone 020 I had previously. They don't flatten off either. If Avon can top the Azaro, they've got to be onto a winner.

Is the speed rating of the Storm going to be good enough for a RED bird. He He.

Freebird
23rd October 2006, 13:22
Thats interesting I have never used anything other than BT020 so I have no frame of reference but I’m up for giving them a go, and of course your right mate the RED Birds are by far the fastest, see Geoff I told you so :Punk: . Now I just have to wait for my red one to arrive from the UK :rockon:

Kwaka14
26th October 2006, 13:08
Just been talking to Kerry in at Motohaus, he'll have some in a month or two, just need to clock up some miles before then I guess....

jahrasti
26th October 2006, 17:08
I had a pair of the supersport tyres on my 400 race bike and thought they were ok. I then went out to WINJA'S place and he spotted a fault. The fucken tyre was delaminating. I went through the shop where I got them and Dold didn't give a fuck and said they would replace it eventualy but I had to wait till NOV untill they had more in. I don't want to hijack the thread but I don't think much to the tyres or Dold.

terbang
26th October 2006, 17:32
Sonds interesting, Ive been running an Azarro on my Bus and it hasn't done a bad job at all. Will be worth a look as I am also up for new tyres prior to the Sth Island in Feb..

Hitcher
26th October 2006, 17:36
I reckon I'll try a set of these after I've worn out the Conti Road Attacks, which I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed with.

Blackbird
1st November 2006, 12:36
Here's the just-released data sheet and make/model fitment guide for those that are interested.

Hitcher
1st November 2006, 13:03
Thanks for the fitment guide. Interesting to note the omission of any mention of the Honda ST1300, althought Avon does make Storms of the right dimension to fit.

Blackbird
27th January 2007, 12:34
Well, the "Birds Galore" tour of the south Island is fast approaching and I'm down to the last few hundred legal km on my current Avaon Azaro tyres. I'm still waiting to replace them with the latest Avon Storms which are replacing the Azaro ST 45/46. Various tyre suppliers have 120 fronts in stock but no 180 section rears, the most common size for litre + bikes. To cut out any uncertainty, I contacted Dold Industries, the importers. According to them, overseas demand has been huge and delayed things a bit but a container load of 180 section tyres should be arriving ~Feb 6th. So anyone waiting to try them now has the official position. In my case, anticipation will soon be turning to desperation:shutup:

The Stranger
27th January 2007, 12:45
Well, the "Birds Galore" tour of the south Island is fast approaching and I'm down to the last few hundred legal km on my current Avaon Azaro tyres. I'm still waiting to replace them with the latest Avon Storms which are replacing the Azaro ST 45/46. Various tyre suppliers have 120 fronts in stock but no 180 section rears, the most common size for litre + bikes. To cut out any uncertainty, I contacted Dold Industries, the importers. According to them, overseas demand has been huge and delayed things a bit but a container load of 180 section tyres should be arriving ~Feb 6th. So anyone waiting to try them now has the official position. In my case, anticipation will soon be turning to desperation:shutup:

Get a Metzler Z6 for the rear. You won't regret it.
I run Viper Front and Z6 rear on the X11 and it works real well.

Blackbird
27th January 2007, 13:26
Get a Metzler Z6 for the rear. You won't regret it.
I run Viper Front and Z6 rear on the X11 and it works real well.

I'm pretty happy with the Azaro ST's having had 3 sets after Dunlops and Michelins but the Storm is supposed to be a step up again and the motorcycling press in Europe have been giving them excellent reviews. Have you done any objective evaluations of the ZX against other tyres? I ask this because everyone has a favourite tyre. Incidentally, a Z6 is my second choice if I can't get the Storm because I'd like to see how it compares with the Azaro "B" spec.

The Stranger
27th January 2007, 15:15
I'm pretty happy with the Azaro ST's having had 3 sets after Dunlops and Michelins but the Storm is supposed to be a step up again and the motorcycling press in Europe have been giving them excellent reviews. Have you done any objective evaluations of the ZX against other tyres? I ask this because everyone has a favourite tyre. Incidentally, a Z6 is my second choice if I can't get the Storm because I'd like to see how it compares with the Azaro "B" spec.

Ran the Dunlops that it shipped with, then the Azaro "B" Spec on my Blackbird with a Viper front.
Ran Vipers front and rear on the X11 then went to the Z6 rear.
Had Vipers on the GSXR and now have Metzler M3's

I would rank performance, lo to hi.
Dunlops
Azaro
Z6
Viper
M3

And given the milage I got from both sets of Viper rears I wouldn't go there again because of the high miles that I do.

Blackbird
8th February 2007, 07:36
For anyone who has been thinking about trying the new Avon Storm sport/touring tyres which are getting great reviews in the northern hemisphere, a shipment has just arrived in the country and the tyres will be going out to dealers early next week. Four of us with Blackbirds are heading to the South Island at the beginning of March and 3 are having them fitted before we go. Should be able to provide some objective feedback on KB quite quickly.

Hitcher
8th February 2007, 20:58
My 120/70 17 Storm has been waiting for a couple of weeks. the 180/55 17 is days away (hopefully). So too the "safe" cans...

Blackbird
9th February 2007, 05:59
My 120/70 17 Storm has been waiting for a couple of weeks. the 180/55 17 is days away (hopefully). So too the "safe" cans...

Yep, the 120's have been in since Xmas, the 180's were the problem. I'm booked in for Wednesday. Dold, who happen to be Hamilton-based are dropping off a set on Monday to my hHamilton dealer.

Ummmm.... what are safe cans????

Hitcher
9th February 2007, 16:39
Ummmm.... what are safe cans????

Two Brothers Racing carbons. "Safe" cans is how I have explained them to Mrs H. Of course she believes my rationale, completely...

Blackbird
11th February 2007, 16:35
Two Brothers Racing carbons. "Safe" cans is how I have explained them to Mrs H. Of course she believes my rationale, completely...

You are a God among men, even if she sees through you and will quietly buy a couple of expensive dresses without you knowing to square accounts. Mrs B would:angry:

Hitcher
11th February 2007, 19:02
A little boy waits...