PDA

View Full Version : Tyre dilemma - a serious post for a change.

The_Dover
20th October 2006, 09:08
Okely dokely - I've got a set of Supercorsa Pro's on the mighty turkey slayer of doom at the moment and they are getting a little, ahem, square due to 60km's a day on the road to hell (and back!). I'm changing back to something a little harder wearing after these are done, probably Powers, M3's or Conti's.

There's plenty of meat on the side of the SC's, which I try to deal to when I get out at the weekend.

My question. Should I change my tyres now and keep the SC's for the trackday on November 5th (just have them swapped back on the day before)?

I know the PP's are supposed to be good on the track, but am I better off using these SC's at Taupo as they are a track tyre rather than killing my road tyres (ok, i've never been on a track and chances are i'll probably not even put a mark on my tyres).

Will the slightly squared profile fuck up my track experience? They still tip in pretty well as they are a steep profile anyway....

So many questions, so few clues.......

Ideas?

kiwifruit
20th October 2006, 09:13
pop (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1284940623706373126&hl=en) the tyres (the rear anyway...)you have on now
fit some pilot powers, the middle lasts ages

ManDownUnder
20th October 2006, 09:14
Hang on to the SC's for track day and if they prove no good swap them off - you got anything you could put on instead - if needed?

The_Dover
20th October 2006, 09:24
huh?

I could buy the powers and take them down with me but how the fuck do I change tyres at teh side of the track?

I'm about as practical as edible lingerie.

boomer
20th October 2006, 10:03
huh?

I could buy the powers and take them down with me but how the fuck do I change tyres at teh side of the track?

I'm about as practical as edible lingerie.

swap 'em out now and put 'em on at the track; i'm sure someone ( Keystone/Bob ) will have all the gears you need to change tyres on teh day. or just swap 'em out the night before.

the sc's should be a go-er on teh track, can you feel em drop of the flat bit when you throw her over? if not then bobs ya unkle

Keystone19
20th October 2006, 10:17
Hmm, changing tyres manually ain't that easy. We do have the gear but I've never done it and Motobob is not exactly an expert yet!! You also have to balance the tyres which is a bit of a pain. It's all do-able but probably not worth the hassle to be honest.

I reckon swap them out now for the PPs or M3s, then if you can be bothered, stick them back on for the track day. If you can't be bothered, the PPs or the M3s will be fine on the track. Benefit of sticking the tyres back on is that you will probably finish the tyre off nicely by using the sides. Taupo has lots of corners.

The_Dover
20th October 2006, 10:23
yeah, I was thinking the same thing Jill. If I take me wheels off and get the tyres swapped it's not gonna cost the earth and I will get the most out of the SC's by chewing the sides out on the track, I'll just have to take it easy on the straights so that I don't fuck the centre before the day is done.

I might get someone with a clue to have a look at the SC's just to see if they are gonna be worth putting back on.

kickingzebra
20th October 2006, 10:31
Tyres aren't too much of a mission to change, but it takes time.

Obviously you have to have enought tools to remove both wheels (26 mm allen key or bolt welded onto a piece of steel in my case for the front) 32 or 36 mm socket for the rear, Bead breaker ( I use an F clamp, but a proper breaker is heaps easier, and better on the wheel) Detergent for slipping the tyre on, tyre levers (30 bucks or so) Rim protectors (if you can be bothered) another 25 bucks or so, another tyre, or a square of wood to rest the wheel in so the discs don't touch the ground, and of course a grunty pump or air compressor to pop the beads.

Balancing isn't really an issue with pirellis, just put the red dot on the tyre sidewall in alignment with the valve.

Took me 50 minutes to change 2 tyres last time.

Also, if it is an SC 0 rear, you will chew it out pretty damn quick at taupo, I used an SC2 last time, which wore alright.

Depends how hard you want to go I suppose.
Good Tyres are cheap insurance on the track.

Keystone19
20th October 2006, 10:34
Obviously you have to have enought tools to remove both wheels (26 mm allen key or bolt welded onto a piece of steel in my case for the front) 32 or 36 mm socket for the rear, Bead breaker ( I use an F clamp, but a proper breaker is heaps easier, and better on the wheel) Detergent for slipping the tyre on, tyre levers (30 bucks or so) Rim protectors (if you can be bothered) another 25 bucks or so, another tyre, or a square of wood to rest the wheel in so the discs don't touch the ground, and of course a grunty pump or air compressor to pop the beads.

And it'll cost $20 per wheel at a motorcycle shop with a professional balance. If he was doing it all the time it might be worth it but for one track day, I'd prolly just pay the cash.

kickingzebra
20th October 2006, 10:36
10 bucks per if you take them off yourself ;)

boomer
20th October 2006, 11:29
Dover, get a set of 208rr's mate; dont bother with the pp's :sunny:

kickingzebra
20th October 2006, 11:31
Mate, shinkos are the way of the future! I blame your 208s for my first crash on the gixxer...

The_Dover
20th October 2006, 11:35
shinkos?

you really don't like me do you......... :(

fuck the 208rr's boomer, if your sewing machine kills them after 3000km's can you imagine what a bike with more than a few donkeys would do to them?

kickingzebra
20th October 2006, 11:47
I have to try the race tyre, supposed to be pretty good.
I had the 005s, and they weren't too shonky.

The_Dover
20th October 2006, 11:56
what did you pay for those?

kickingzebra
20th October 2006, 12:09
was about 350 the set, and for commuting, and a bit of road thrashing, you couldn't go wrong. Will try the race compound before christmas.

Keystone19
20th October 2006, 12:26
Yeah, Wiggles was trying out the Shinko slicks at Taupo the other week and reckoned they were pretty good.

I still reckon for versatility the PPs or M3s are the way to go. Both are still very usable on the track. Cleve Brown actually races on PPs and I seem to remember he kicked your arse at Taupo last week Jonno...:scooter:

slowpoke
20th October 2006, 22:45
I will get the most out of the SC's by chewing the sides out on the track, I'll just have to take it easy on the straights so that I don't fuck the centre before the day is done.

If you get a chance take a look at some race take offs, or pic's of Rossi's tyre when he chewed it out a few GP's back, or any race bike and it's always the sides that wear out first.
If you've got any meat at all (get your mind outta the gutter!) left in the middle of the tyre you'll be able to give it as much stick as you like and you won't have a problem with the centre of the tyre.

Motoracer
21st October 2006, 13:30
Post a pic of their current state and I'll tell you.

Mr. Peanut
21st October 2006, 18:38
Try some Shinko 005's, probably well suited to what you need.

imdying
23rd October 2006, 20:45
Friend of mine changes his own tyres (ZXR750), apparently the service station guys have a shit when he takes the wheels down there to blow the beads in :lol:

Devil
24th October 2006, 14:50
Go for the M3's. Ive done the M3's and have on PP's at the moment. When they're done i'm heading back to the M3's. Handle better.

The_Dover
24th October 2006, 14:54
I'm getting Powers, I've had them before, loved them and they were the cheapest quote too by forty bucks.

I've seen what a gixxer thou does to the M3's and for the extra $60 and many Km's less wear I can sacrifice a little grip and turn in (I had a 180 on the rear last time). I also got told that they went off for the last third of their life, which I can't afford as I'll probably crash, and the front wore hellishly quickly on SPB's bike.

I think the Supercorsa might be a bit too fucked for track use now, the middle has virtually no tread left but I'll post a pic for MR to inspect when I find a way to charge my camera.

Scouse
24th October 2006, 14:57
What a good Idea Pilot Powers are the shizz and do you want to borow that IPOD charger Gaylord or what

The_Dover
24th October 2006, 14:58
yeah, but I can't be fucked coming to get it. Shall I PM you my address and you can drop it off?

Crasherfromwayback
24th October 2006, 15:06
Will the slightly squared profile fuck up my track experience? They still tip in pretty well as they are a steep profile anyway....

Yes they'll fuck up your day!
Flat centres make bikes handle like tanks.
Plus, when you're in a constant radius corner that just happens to have your bike at the exact angle of lean to have it on the 'point' of the flat centre vs the curved like it should be side of the tyre, it's like riding on a ball point pen.
Put them in the bin.

The_Dover
24th October 2006, 15:08
Put them on trade me.

good idea pete, I hadn't thought of that!

Crasherfromwayback
24th October 2006, 15:24
good idea pete, I hadn't thought of that!

lol....exactly the keys I meant to hit, but some cunt moved them on my key board!

Scouse
24th October 2006, 15:28
yeah, but I can't be fucked coming to get it. Shall I PM you my address and you can drop it off?Ok i'll wipe yer arse and wash yer curtains for you while im there

motobob
25th October 2006, 16:22
PP's will be fine for the track. The extra wear isn't worth taking tyres on and off unless you need the xtra grip which won't be there if they are worn any way.