PDA

View Full Version : Pitted front forks

wildpudding
20th October 2006, 17:09
Hi everyone,

Whats the options I have when it comes to fixing front forks which have some pitting in the travel section?

I've heard of re-chroming, what sort of money does this involve, and are there any other cheaper alternatives?

Cheers,

Stefan

dangerous
20th October 2006, 17:13
and are there any other cheaper alternatives?

Sand the hell out of them... epoxy the pitted bits up... sand the hell out of them, hey worked a treat on my Kat :Punk:

ManDownUnder
20th October 2006, 17:15
Hi everyone,

Whats the options I have when it comes to fixing front forks which have some pitting in the travel section?

I've heard of re-chroming, what sort of money does this involve, and are there any other cheaper alternatives?

Cheers,

Stefan

I just got a pair of RF forks rechromed and ground for $300+GST. They were disassembled so chroming and grinding was all the had to do.
Good job but I understand a budget approach it epoxy and sanding.

Depends on how hard they get treated...

dangerous
20th October 2006, 17:37
Good job but I understand a budget approach it epoxy and sanding depends on how hard they get treated...

Well the Kats a race bike so thats kinda harsh treatment, and so far touch wood... they aint leaking.

stanko
20th October 2006, 19:29
Buy a used set of forks from a wrecker

Blackflagged
20th October 2006, 21:57
I just got a pair of RF forks rechromed and ground for $300+GST. They were disassembled so chroming and grinding was all the had to do.
Good job but I understand a budget approach it epoxy and sanding.

Depends on how hard they get treated...

Who did the chroming for you?

Wasp
20th October 2006, 22:23
just do what im doing, crash it, bend them and get insurance to replace them :doh:

ManDownUnder
21st October 2006, 20:58
Who did the chroming for you?

Otahuhu Hard Chrome.

Good job but a week later than the promised date...! They came back with what appeared to be a rough finish on them, not the high polish chrome I was expecting. They told me it was all good and they stood 100% behind the finish as they'd done lots like that.

So far so good

speights_bud
21st October 2006, 21:39
The forks on my GPX have been honed, was done before i bought it. but thats what i've been told was done to them. They seem to keep all the fluid on the inside and work pretty well. Might be worth looking into.