PDA

View Full Version : Your scooter got a name?

DougB
20th October 2006, 22:22
There is a thread running in another forum about names for bikes. I posted the message below. I expect scooterists are more likely to have good names. My present scooter is Wur as this is the first letters of the registration number what is yours called?

DougB

Bike: 1974 Aermacchi 350

I revamped a Corgi paratroopers world war 2 folding scooter back in the 1960's, put a go cart engine in it and used it while serving as a member of The Band of the NZ Army. It would fit on the truck that carried the instruments so I used it all over NZ from Whangarei to Invercargill. Its name was prominatly painted on its back panel:-

BEATSWALKIN

Now days very few old regular force soldiers remember me (other than fellow bandsmen) but all in Burnham Army camp at that time remember the crazy bandsman in full dress uniform, instrument under arm, late, tearing down the road on Beatswalkin to the parade ground.

Dodger
2nd November 2006, 14:49
Mine goes by the name "Yabitch" as is when trying to start it I'm always saying "Start ya' bitch"

Only has issues starting when it's warmish.
starts first time when cold.. ride somewhere (eg. down to shops) and then can be a bitch to start again.

vifferman
2nd November 2006, 14:58
I think I'd like to get a scooter. But I dunno whether to go ultra cheap 'n crappy, or kewl and zoomy. They all seem ultra-expensive, especially the Peugeot 125Jet-Force, which I'd really like, but it's freakin' $7K!!! :gob:
Shame, because it's abnormally aspirated (turboed, I think). Goes like a 250...

MisterD
2nd November 2006, 15:28
I think I'd like to get a scooter. But I dunno whether to go ultra cheap 'n crappy, or kewl and zoomy. They all seem ultra-expensive, especially the Peugeot 125Jet-Force, which I'd really like, but it's freakin' $7K!!! :gob:
Shame, because it's abnormally aspirated (turboed, I think). Goes like a 250...

Supercharger actually....sounds like you're getting the idea though - scooters should be bought without reference practicalities, think with your heart not your head.

Dodger
2nd November 2006, 15:36
My scooter is in the cheap and crappy group, its one of these: http://www.nzecobikes.co.nz/liberty.html

That being said it great for just popping down the shops or up the road.
Does around 200k's on 5L of petrol, and is able to pull my fat 106kgs along at 60kph. (with a bit of a run up) I've even managed 90kph on a slight downhill. :)

Any trip longer than 3 or 4 km's though I take the Bike.

The Wop
3rd November 2006, 07:36
....what you pay for. That is true in most cases and applies equally to scooters and bikes. If you pay $2k for a scooter will not have the same quality or performance as you will get out of a $5k scooter. Also think long and hard about safety. You don't want the thought that some cost cutting may have resulted in a sub-standard suspension or frame. We are more at risk on two wheels, so spend wisely....

My humble opinion on 50cc vs. more? Well, having ridden both, I like the fact that I have more chance of getting out of trouble on the 200. The 50 had such an annoying "lag". A bit like my diesel Hilux....!!!

Right, time for the tablets!

texmo
4th November 2006, 15:21
You get what you pay for? What about the $10,000 lambretta indan restos?
Or a px200 Possible the worst bike to ride ever produced? At the end of the day scooters are a rip off when compared to other forms of transport. But in saying that theres something just pleasing about riding something from the times gone with more style than anything on the rode enter tv200...

The Wop
4th November 2006, 18:49
...You are probably the only idiot I know who would actually buy an Indian Lambretta resto for $10k!

MisterD
5th November 2006, 15:15
At the end of the day scooters are a rip off when compared to other forms of transport.

Except flying domestic with Air New Zealand......

texmo
5th November 2006, 20:58
...You are probably the only idiot I know who would actually buy an Indian Lambretta resto for $10k!
Thats great because I wouldnt buy one.

Steam
19th December 2006, 18:34
My scooter is in the cheap and crappy group, its one of these: http://www.nzecobikes.co.nz/liberty.html

That Liberty, it doesn't have gears does it? It's just fixed to the engine, just a simple on-off clutch, no ratios, no centrifugal clutch?
Does it go up hills?

The Wop
20th December 2006, 10:21
...that's it. No gears at all. Also be careful with the names. There are two scooters called Liberty. One is made by Piaggio, the makers of Vespa and the other is the one in the website. Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near it!

Citroenjunkie
20th December 2006, 10:39
My bike isn't a scooter but it is called Chubby...cause it's so sexy looking:gob: and it has the widest tank I've ver sat behind:yes:

TygerTung
3rd January 2007, 23:20
You can get a brand new suzuki SJ50 for the same price as that chinese job.... Maybe the suzuki would be the best option?

Dodger
5th January 2007, 16:49
That Liberty, it doesn't have gears does it? It's just fixed to the engine, just a simple on-off clutch, no ratios, no centrifugal clutch?
Does it go up hills?

It has a CVT style gear system.
it's ok up hill, it's a 4 stroke so not the greatest, but it does the job. (around 40kph up hills with my 100+kg on it)

It's cheap and nasty and I wouldn't recommend buying one, but it does the job for the 5 minute rides down the shops and back.
and for $1500 new it's prob the cheapest.
That all being said I've had no problems with it at all, the brakes are great and it handles fine, it also does around 200km on a tank (3.8l tank)

Normal flat ground speed with me on it is 60kph (takes 30 seconds+ to get to that speed) max speed I've had it at was over 90kph on a slight down hill.
With two people on it the flat ground speed is 50kph.

Dodger
7th January 2007, 12:49
Update - I killed the scooter last night.
I took it down to the local petrol station as it was sitting on E.

Filled it up and when I went to start it the casing around the kick start lever broke. :(
There's an electric start on the scooter, but it's never really worked. after about five minutes of walking home I was able to crash start it.
I'll need to track down a replacement cover. :(

and I had just filled the tank with 3.4L of petrol, which would be good for 200km+ :/

BarBender
11th January 2007, 09:07
I wouldnt mind getting a scoot.
If I did - Id call mine 'Muttley'.

MisterD
11th January 2007, 09:26
Update - I killed the scooter last night.

..and people say we're just being snobs when we recommend spending more on a European scoot.:slap:

Dodger
11th January 2007, 09:57
..and people say we're just being snobs when we recommend spending more on a European scoot.:slap:

Well it's $86 for the replacement part. so not that bad.
Once you start spending more than $2500ish you may as well buy a bike. (although you need the motorcycle licence)

MisterD
11th January 2007, 13:15
Once you start spending more than $2500ish you may as well buy a bike.

That kind of logic leads to "Once you start spending more than $10k you may as well buy a car."

Dodger
11th January 2007, 17:55
That kind of logic leads to "Once you start spending more than $10k you may as well buy a car."

hmmm, but it's hard to buy a supercar for under $30k.. a superbike on the other hand. :)

Is there such a thing as a superscooter? :scooter:

Flatcap
11th January 2007, 20:02
hmmm, but it's hard to buy a supercar for under $30k.. a superbike on the other hand. :)

Is there such a thing as a superscooter? :scooter:

This would be a superscooter:

http://www.motorbikesblog.com/entry/gilera-gp800-an-850cc-v-twin-engined-scooter-crowned-to-be-worlds-fastest-scooter/

Dodger
11th January 2007, 20:07
Nice :)
Wonder how it corners..