PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had experience of this before?

slimjim
21st October 2006, 19:12
Hi everyone. Shazzy girl here.
Just wondering if anyone has had experience of selling their motorbike through a tradeit site, and it being bought by a buyer from overseas?
I have sold my little 250 to a guy in the UK, he says he is sending a cashiers cheque for the cost of the sale, and also for the cost of shipping. Which I am to give to the shipping company when they come to get the bike. The cheque will take about a month to clear!
Any tips etc for me from any of yous out there. I am a little concerned that I am being duped and the sale is not finalised. And then if the cheque comes and the bike goes, what do I need to do to her for shipping purposes!
Help, cheers. :scooter:

Mr. Peanut
21st October 2006, 19:14
Keep your bike and rip the cheque to shreds!!?

MattRSK
21st October 2006, 19:27
Tell him to go fuck himself. Tell him you want a bank deposit. Tell him the bike will not be sent untill the money is recieved. Oh and tell him to go fuck himself.

Hawkeye
21st October 2006, 19:31
You have two options:

Cash the cheque and only when it clears do you get in touch with the shipping company to transport the bike. Do not send the bike until you have your part of the payment. Otherwise you could find that the cheque doesn't clear, the bike is gone and you have no comeback. The shipping company will get their cut because they will not release the bike at the other end until shipping is paid for. So the only person out of pocket will be you. The 'buyer' then ends up with a cheap bike.

2. Don't sell to an overseas buyer.

My 2cents - choose option 2.

paturoa
21st October 2006, 19:39
Yes and sounds like a scam that I had.

Seriously, why would someone from uk buy a 250 from NZ?????

Go talk to your bank about the a reliable payment method and insist on that.

see http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28288

Basically they will send a forged bank cheque for more that what it will cost, the scam is
- that it will be for more than what it will cost
- and they want you to bank it
- and when it shows as cleared funds in your account
- you to send the balance back to them

the scam part is that (for reasons I dont recall) the international banking system for several days will show it as cleared funds in your account! and then your bank will say, oops sorry and take that amount back out again.

sunhuntin
21st October 2006, 19:55
heck, i wouldnt even feel safe selling a bike on trademe, to a new zealand person! let alone someone overseas.

take it to a bike shop or put an ad in the paper.

trumpy
21st October 2006, 19:56
Run..............in the opposite direction, real fast. It's a scam.

This one has been around for a while.

Oakie
21st October 2006, 20:08
Don't do it. It just doesn't feel right.

kro
21st October 2006, 20:25
Just like the teddy bear in your avatar is saying Oakie.

bane
21st October 2006, 20:28
no doubt its a scam

beware there can also be another catch (besides the fu#ker trying to scam you)

there was a story on Fair Go about some goods sold on TM (I think they were pedigree animals or something similar).
Overseas buyer, same deal as you. Suspecting it might be a scam, they decided to bank the cheque and wait for the 30 day clearance. Cheque cleared but then was dishonoured (see Paturoa's comment).
Their bank then took the funds out of their account , and due to fees and a falling exchange rate, they were out of pocket $700!!!

my 2cents.

miSTa
21st October 2006, 20:33
In your case it sounds real dodgy - steer well clear of it.

That's not to say all buyers from overseas are scammers and dodgy bastards. A few months ago I sold a bike (not the ZZR1100 I had, that went to a guy in Dunedin) to a kiwi living in Australia. No worries at all.

Beemer
21st October 2006, 22:06
Even if he paid by bank deposit, if it's in UK funds, it would still take more than three weeks to clear (trust me, I know!). And don't accept a Western Union money order either - just as dodgy.

There's a woman boasting on Trade Me that her daughter has sold a phone she paid $50 for to a guy in the US for $250US - oh, and he's sending the money via Western Union... yeah, right!

I suppose he'll send you the cheque and whoops, he's 'accidently' made it out for shitloads more than the actual purchase and freight so could you please send him the extra - via wire transfer immediately? :done: And you will be!

TLDV8
21st October 2006, 22:44
....he says he is sending a cashiers cheque for the cost of the sale, and also for the cost of shipping. Which I am to give to the shipping company when they come to get the bike. The cheque will take about a month to clear!

It's a scam for sure.
Ask them to wire the money direct to your bank account and see what happens. (Even if you have to open a one off account as a safe guard)

Ebay is the worst and people have fallen for things like.... Send half the money now (by western union MO) from the US to Europe,the seller will ship the bike (free) ,send the other half of the money when the bike arrives.. Hello !!!

I can say this for NZ.Every single item i have sold on Trade Me has gone out of Auckland...Every item has been sent before payment except for the wheels,every payment received.All had good feedback but it is cool to put your faith in people and they come through :Punk:
I think Kiwi's are still pretty honest.

Trying to think what i have sold

Ducati 998 shock and linkage.. S Island
BB Ford Moroso head stud kit.. S Island
TL1000 PCII .. NP
Kawasaki Z1000J valve adjusting tool..Thunderbike Nelson ?
TL rear seat.. NP
ZXR wheels..Tauranga,picked up
998 chain guard..Desmo cycle C/church

marty
21st October 2006, 22:51
what's the guy's name. does he have a hotmail/yahoo etc account? it's gotta be a scam.

slimjim
22nd October 2006, 19:41
Appreciate these comments, guy is still saying he is sending a cheque and I am still chatting with him.
I will get back to him via email tonight and say the sale is off.
Cher, :yes: got suckered in on that one didn't I. Oh well lesson learnt.

Shazzygirl.

Yes and sounds like a scam that I had.

Seriously, why would someone from uk buy a 250 from NZ?????

Go talk to your bank about the a reliable payment method and insist on that.

see http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28288

Basically they will send a forged bank cheque for more that what it will cost, the scam is
- that it will be for more than what it will cost
- and they want you to bank it
- and when it shows as cleared funds in your account
- you to send the balance back to them

the scam part is that (for reasons I dont recall) the international banking system for several days will show it as cleared funds in your account! and then your bank will say, oops sorry and take that amount back out again.

MattRSK
22nd October 2006, 19:43
Appreciate these comments, guy is still saying he is sending a cheque and I am still chatting with him.
I will get back to him via email tonight and say the sale is off.
Cher, :yes: got suckered in on that one didn't I. Oh well lesson learnt.

Shazzygirl.

Just glad you didn't part ways with your money.

Now lets see.

Consultation fees = $800

Mail the check out next week if you like.

slimjim
22nd October 2006, 20:12
Ok, do you take Western Union, hehehehe.

Colapop
22nd October 2006, 20:30
Cash up front if you want to get real with the buyer. If they really want it they'll front with cash. No test rides without something of equivalent value left behind (unless you got primo insurance). Just the standard stuff to protect yourself.

Timber020
22nd October 2006, 21:30
When the check clears, you can use the money to help a good friend of mine that works for the Nigerian government and has the sweetest deal for you.

Clivoris
22nd October 2006, 21:30
You could have at least waited for the check to arrive before telling him to fark himself, then you can frame it. What name was he using and have you tried googling it? I had a similar experience, googled the name and came up with a scam warning.:shit:

Sniper
23rd October 2006, 14:07
Could you post copies of your corresspondance with this guy?

Titanium
23rd October 2006, 14:53
Sounds like a scam.

Insist on him paying by paypal.