PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy?

rudolph
22nd October 2006, 15:45
Looking at getting a nother big thumper to use for the road only, the old XT550 was heeps of fun. but I would like a supermotard or something.

What would you say is better?. Suzuki DR650,

Kawasuki KLR650,

Honda XR650 (air cooled) or XR650R (water cooled),

Yamaha TTR600,

:sunny:

Jantar
22nd October 2006, 18:10
Looking at getting a nother big thumper to use for the road only, the old XT550 was heeps of fun. but I would like a supermotard or something.

Kawasuki KLR650,

Yamaha TTR600,

How about a VTwin? DL650. Rated as possibly the best mid weight bike in the world.

Ruralman
22nd October 2006, 18:30

Kawasuki KLR650,

Yamaha TTR600,

Wouldn't descibe any of these bikes as Super Motards - describe what you want a bit more.

rudolph
22nd October 2006, 19:36
I wasn't realy decribing them as supermotards but with some new 17" rims and some better brakes and a few other mods I might be close.

I realy just want a big single cylinder dule perpous bike witch has never seen dirt in its life and never will, the DR650 looks a bit small and other people say the XR650R is the most powerfull of the 650s ever.

Ruralman
23rd October 2006, 18:58
I wasn't realy decribing them as supermotards but with some new 17" rims and some better brakes and a few other mods I might be close.

I realy just want a big single cylinder dule perpous bike witch has never seen dirt in its life and never will, the DR650 looks a bit small and other people say the XR650R is the most powerfull of the 650s ever.

I assume from you list you are favouring the Tried and true long life machines rather than the new breed on light weight ultra high performance motards but which require more maintenance and probably the occasional rather expensive engine rebuild? They also cost a lot more than the ones you have highlighted.
A KTM 640 probably should be on your list.
Not all/many XR650's have electric start (none of the ones I see anyway but they are all off road junkies) if thats an issue. All DR650's will have.
Personally if I wasn't ever going to use something off road I'd get something a lot more road comfortable - like Jantars DL650 suggestion.

rudolph
24th October 2006, 19:58
I like the Look of the XR650R, it makes nealy 60HP but it is kick start only, i realy hate the colours of the KTMs, I also found this bike on trade me witch looks cool but it is probley knacked

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=74544255

sels1
24th October 2006, 20:17
Also on Trade Me x rental XT600s at a reasonable price.
BMW F650 has several model options and are very comfortable on the road, but not as good off road as the Jappers.
Test rode a V Strom a while back, was more fun than it looks.
But it's the usual story, you need to test ride a few - you will know the right one when you ride it.

cooneyr
25th October 2006, 12:38
I like the Look of the XR650R, it makes nealy 60HP but it is kick start only, i realy hate the colours of the KTMs, I also found this bike on trade me witch looks cool but it is probley knacked

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=74544255

I'd be warry of that beasty - needs a good looking over before purchase. Been on Trademe for about 6 months and I think it mentionmed rebuild in ad very early on. In saying that the Yanks seem to be getting into the latter models of them cause of the 50 states legal thing (emmisions).

Cheers
R

far queue
25th October 2006, 13:58
What about a Yamaha XT660X, should be good for what you want - not too high tech, so no high engine maintainence, good power, and apparently plenty more if you replace the exhaust ... and already comes with the motard stuff.

rudolph
8th November 2006, 20:30
:yes: after a lot of thought and stuf I finley desided to Buy a Harley

Ruralman
8th November 2006, 20:49
:yes: after a lot of thought and stuf I finley desided to Buy a Harley

A Harley????? Not that I have anything against Harleys but compared to the list of options and intended uses you came up with, you've gone visiting on another planet??
What changed?

far queue
8th November 2006, 21:08
What changed?:scratch: Bought a boat, and needed an anchor? :slap:

rudolph
10th November 2006, 21:53
I just bort a harlry last night

Roj
14th November 2006, 11:21
I just bort a harlry last night

that will be an adventure